Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:27:50 PM EDT

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/12/ohio-major-pro-gun-reform-legislation-passes-and-sent-to-governor.aspx

"Yesterday, the Ohio House of Representatives voted to concur on House Bill 234 by a 69 to 16 vote after it passed in the state Senate by a 24 to 6 vote on Tuesday.  HB 234 has been sent to Governor John Kasich (R) for his consideration.

Originally, HB 234, sponsored by state Representative Cheryl Grossman (R-23), would revise state law to allow for the use of a firearm sound suppressor while hunting in the Buckeye State.  Hunting with suppressed firearms provides numerous benefits to sportsmen, including the elimination of noise complaints, reduction of recoil, increased accuracy and reduction of muzzle report to hearing-safe levels.

Tuesday, some additional pro-gun measures were amended into HB 234, including allowing the purchase and sale of shotguns and rifles in non-contiguous states, reforming the concealed carry process by reducing the number of training hours required from 12 hours to 8 hours and requiring a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) to sign off on an application to transfer an item regulated by the National Firearms Act."

Details from Buckeye Firearms Association

"Hunters will be able to use suppressors while hunting. There was strong support for this from NRA, Buckeye Firearms Association, American Silencer Association, and sportsmen who will benefit from the reduced noise.

Coinciding with the suppressor language, those who want to buy a $200 tax stamp and get a suppressor will be able to have a sheriff conduct a background check as though one were applying for a CHL. If a person passes the background check, the sheriff will sign the Federally required paperwork. The purchaser will then send this paperwork to the BATFE to begin the Federal process.

The disqualifications for obtaining a CHL will be generally aligned with State and Federal law for possessing a gun. Currently there are those who are prohibited from possessing firearms who can still qualify for an Ohio CHL. However those with very minor records and can own a firearm may still not qualify for a CHL. This bill would make Ohio law more similar to standard practice throughout the country.

Ohio's background checks will be strengthened. Better background checks enable sheriffs to know they are granting CHL's to people who qualify for one. This change will help Ohio get reciprocity with Texas and possibly other states who refuse to sign agreements with Ohio because of the holes in our current background checks.

The application for a CHL will be deleted from Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and will be maintained by the Attorney General. This allows the A.G. to make needed changes in a timely manner instead of waiting for the legislative process. Removing words from code without changing the law is good policy.

Sheriffs will be permitted to use CHL funds for training. Many sheriffs conduct firearms training classes. These include CHL, hunter education, and Eddie Eagle classes.

The definition of an automatic firearms will be corrected to match what the Federal government and every other state define as an automatic firearm: a firearm that fires more than one round per pull of the trigger.

People who live outside Ohio but work in Ohio will be able to apply for an Ohio CHL in the county where they work or any adjacent county. OPOTC training will satisfy the training requirement and DD-214's will now be accepted for 10 years vs. the current 6 years after issuance.

Currently, it is not a violation of Revised Code section 2911.21 (trespassing) to have a firearm in a "no guns" posted parking lot under state law. This bill clarifies that having a firearm in a posted parking will not be trespass under any criminal law, not just 2911.21.

There are multiple sections of ORC that deal with restoration of rights. The problem is that some sections don't recognize other sections. Persons have rights "restored" and then find out that this restoration of rights does not "count" for other sections of law. This conflict and confusion will be corrected.

Ohio citizens will be permitted to buy a long gun in any state. Currently Ohio citizens may only buy long guns from five contiguous states. That limitation dates back to the 1970's before the NICS background check system. The bill would recognize that background checks are much improved. (Purchases of handguns are still limited to state of residence by Federal law.)

An Ohio license will not be revoked/suspended if a license holder moves out of state. It will remain valid until the state date of expiration. This is important because it allows time to apply for a license in the new state of residence.

Under the bill, completing OPOTA (law enforcement) training will satisfy the requirements of the training to obtain a CHL, as will military training obtained with 10 years of the application. For everyone else, required training to obtain a CHL would change to eight (8) hours, which would still be above the national average."

UPDATE:Signed on December 19th.  Becomes law in 90 days, on March 19, 2015.

Please send your thanks to your reps, and here...

Governor John Kasich
(614) 466-3555
E-mail   Contact Form
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
good
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So no more magazine restrictions?
View Quote

Thats what I was hoping for and looks like got. Still pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, my sheriff is a dingus about NFA stuff

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully, at some point suppressors will be considered "common use" items and removed from the NFA process.  Hopefully...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

that is how i am reading it.

also now a CLEO  has to sign form 1 or 4 correct?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The application for a CHL will be deleted from Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and will be maintained by the Attorney General. This allows the A.G. to make needed changes in a timely manner instead of waiting for the legislative process. Removing words from code without changing the law is good policy.
View Quote
That's all well and good, until Bloomberg gets one of his understudies elected AG like in PA...

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe a hellava lot more gun shops in Ohio will start stocking suppressors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Governor John Kasich
(614) 466-3555
E-mail   Contact Form
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope Gov Kasich signs the bill!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a LOT of win for Ohio built into one bill, and it has pretty resounding support. It's been a good decade for Ohio gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#13]
gaspipes

What was stripped out of this at the last minute were the school zone fixes and the 18 year old active duty being able to carry legally without a CHL.

It is my understanding these things will be addressed but they needed more time for the details to make sure it was right.

Knowing you don't always get the full loaf at one time I think what has passed is very good and a huge leap forward for moving Ohio up on the list that the Brady Bunch puts out every year for places with the worst gun laws. Haha. We might be in the top 10 now. or at least top 20.

We got:(or will when the Gov signs)

1 - OH recognizes all other states licenses and permits

2 - Sheriff does NICS - this should allow us to buy guns without having to get NICS every time.

3 - Suppressor Hunting

4 - 31 round mag = Machine Gun is gone. No mag prohibitions in OH anymore

5 - Other instructors from National Gun Advocacy groups instrcutors can give OH CHL classes. Prior this was only OPOTA and NRA Certified. This means instructors certified by USCCA will be able to instruct CHL class

6 - 45 day residency requirement is gone

7 - CHL training reduced from 12 to 8 hours

8 - Provisions to allow for a portion of training to be ON LINE

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.

There are other minor things. But these are the biggies IMO
View Quote

quoted from the ohio hometown forum
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It becomes law even if he doesn't. As long as he doesn't actively veto it, it's a done deal
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Our definition of a machine gun will be changed to what it should be when Kasich signs it.

That will eliminate our magazine capacity restriction.

As fas as NFA is concerned, it looks like your sheriff will now run a NICS check and when you pass they will have to sign off on your paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No maybe about it, between hunting and shall issue NFA, this is huge.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a LOT of win for Ohio built into one bill, and it has pretty resounding support. It's been a good decade for Ohio gun owners.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Ohio as been absolutely killing it on pro-gun rights in the past few years.

I have no doubt this will get Kasich's approval.

Well done fellow buckeyes!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gigantic

Epic
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]
FKN-AYE
The liberal left...(insert the usual names) must have their panties wadded real tight over this!
...GOOD...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW !!! I will be buying a can soon enough it looks like..
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

WOW !!! I will be buying a can soon enough it looks like..
View Quote

Yep. Shall issue NFA is huge and conversely gonna end up costing me a TON of $$$
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I live in Cleveland, the chief will not sign off on anything NFA so I can't get a suppressor. Does it mean I can get one now?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I live in Cleveland, the chief will not sign off on anything NFA so I can't get a suppressor. Does it mean I can get one now?
View Quote

According to the bill, if you can get a CHL, then yes. However if you live in Cleveland proper I would be expecting a giant dose of fuckery. So who knows just yet?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It becomes law even if he doesn't. As long as he doesn't actively veto it, it's a done deal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's time to break out the party liquor?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I got this from OFCC (Ohioans for Concealed Carry ) On the 6th. I wounder what version passed.

Legislative alert!

Folks, we worked hard to get Representative Johnson to agree to dropping the NICS compliancy portion from HB 203. It appears that doing so may have cost us the bill.

John Hohenwarter of the NRA is determined to include it again into whatever legislation is passed in these waning days of the legislative session. We don't know why the NRA is hell bent on passing laws that are against our best interests as gun owners in Ohio, but we do know that it is happening - we know that it WILL happen, unless we stop it

He's done it in other states
http://pgnh.org/heave_ho_hohenwarter
http://forum.pafoa.org/…/116528-nra-liason-pa-hohenwarter-q…

The NICS check amendment is being sold as a means to increase reciprocity and to eliminate the background check we all go through when we buy a gun through an FFL, but in reality it does neither. What it really does is effectively wipe out Ohio's restoration of rights for many misdemeanor offenses, AND it automatically gives gun rights to fifth degree drug felons. This is possible because of differing standards between Ohio and the federal government.  What is even worse, it takes decision making control over gun rights away from the Ohio Legislature, where we have some influence, and gives it to the federal government, where we have none.

Many of us are NRA Certified Instructors and it pains us very much to write this alert, but it must be done.
It would be disastrous if this amendment makes it into State law.

We are asking everyone to email and /or call EVERY member of the Senate Civil Justice Committee ASAP and as often as possible and tell them WE DON'T WANT any NICS amendment passed in this session.  Go to this page: http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committee/civil-justice, and click on each member to send them an email and get their phone number.  Vice Chair Senator Larry Obhof, http://www.ohiosenate.gov/obhof, is the person gathering amendments, Senator Joe Eucker, http://www.ohiosenate.gov/uecker, who is our friend, was very surprised to learn that we oppose it, since "the other gun group" in Ohio supports it. (They also supported the hidden compartment bill)

Please, please, PLEASE!
Burn up the phone lines, crash the internet, make your voices heard!  If we don't, we're going to be burnt with bad legislation that no one wants

Between health and prior commitments our "regulars" are prevented from going to the Statehouse until next year, or else someone would be there every day for the next two weeks.  The legislature is only meeting on Tues. Weds. and Thurs those two weeks, with Dec 18 being their last day.  Hearings will be held 12/9 at 10:00am, 12/10 at 9:45am 9if needed), and 12/11 at 8:00am (if needed).  The more people that can show up - ESPECIALLY 12/9 at 10am, the better.  OFCC shirts, hats and/or jackets would be great!

Time is short and the time for action is now
Carry on . . .
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im saying yes. Kasich has proven to side with "us" time and time again. And it seems its only a matter of time at this point. JMO.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Why would you require the Sheriff to do a background check only to have the BATFE do yet another background check once they receive the paperwork? Redundant.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Why would you require the Sheriff to do a background check only to have the BATFE do yet another background check once they receive the paperwork? Redundant.
View Quote

It basically forces them to be shall issue on NFA. If you can pass a check, then you will get the blessing. No room for discretion or personal opinion.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Im saying yes. Kasich has proven to side with "us" time and time again. And it seems its only a matter of time at this point. JMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still, worth hitting the link above to.  Thank him for his past support and encourage him to sign this one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Still, worth hitting the link above to.  Thank him for his past support and encourage him to sign this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely this^^
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as you pass the background check,you will be fine I believe.

I can see that shithead frank Jackson trying to pass more anti gun laws that will just waste more money when the city looses in court.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
This is going to cost me big time, and fuck the Sig brace.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
O-H!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
O-H!
View Quote

I-O!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like I picked the right time to move back to Ohio
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the same session the red light camera legislation passed basically ending that scam...hell were on our way to becoming the new Texas....lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#43]
OH will recognize all other state permits?

Hell yes, I live ten minutes from the border and have a lifetime IN one. Easy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's a link to the bill if anyone wants to read it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Good luck, neighbors!

ETA: I sent a quick note to Governor Kasich in support of HB 234. .
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Governor John Kasich

(614) 466-3555

E-mail   Contact Form
View Quote

Bears repeating.

Anyone who is praising this "win" PLEASE tell the man that ultimately matters how much it means to you. Its just as important.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top