User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
They're comic book movies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to laugh at you when the Pentagon reveals their Iron Man prototype suit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Comic book movies can be broken down even further.

Weird Western

Space Western

Sci Fi Western

Sci Fi Roman

Weird Roman

Space Roman

You get the idea, the list just goes on and on and on.  If some one wants to label some of them as science fiction, it doesn't bother me.

I live in a universe where the first great starship captain was played by Leslie Nielsen.  Or, at least I used to, no one around me believes it now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm going to laugh at you when the Pentagon reveals their Iron Man prototype suit.
View Quote

I don't mind being laughed at. I'm happy to bring some levity to the world. Iron Man suits will never work because the idea of embedding a power source in a man's chest is dumber than dumb.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You get the idea, the list just goes on and on and on.  If some one wants to label some of them as science fiction, it doesn't bother me.

I live in a universe where the first great starship captain was played by Leslie Nielsen.  Or, at least I used to, no one around me believes it now.
View Quote

Magical powers are not science. These comic book characters are reiterations of greek gods doing wacky shit for mindless viewers.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
OK.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Roman:Dragons Comic Books? (sipping drink in disgust) Dragons Comic books are fantasy. There's
magical talismans' or a magic sword, or wizards, or fucking crazy, not
real animals. All these basic things that break the laws of reality;
that shits all fantasy. I'm into hard sci fi, fantasy is all bullshit.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
NERDS! All ya'll.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Magical powers are not science. These comic book characters are reiterations of greek gods doing wacky shit for mindless viewers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize from the Iron Monger, War Machine, Iron Patriot armors it does not have to be in the operator's chest but integrated into the suit itself?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't remember Leslie Nielsen having any magical powers.

I do find it strange that 3 of the early starship commanders were Canadians.  

This trend now seems to have broken down.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You do realize from the Iron Monger, War Machine, Iron Patriot armors it does not have to be in the operator's chest but integrated into the suit itself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Also, forearm mounted tank missiles exceed the energy density of any known conventional explosive.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Roman:Dragons Comic Books? (sipping drink in disgust) Dragons Comic books are fantasy. There's magical talismans' or a magic sword, or wizards, or fucking crazy, not real animals. All these basic things that break the laws of reality; that shits all fantasy. I'm into hard sci fi, fantasy is all bullshit.

View Quote

It is indeed. The last capt. america movie, the winter soldier, was supposed to be good. The action was as silly as that first hobbit movie. The plot was idiotic. We didn't even get to see scarlet's tits. I couldn't figure out the point of watching it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, but they sometimes throw in some scientific words and/or vaguely possible theories, which plants them right into SciFi land, right alongside INTERSTELLAR!!!

Super Run Away!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes. Also, forearm mounted tank missiles exceed the energy density of any known conventional explosive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So therefore it's magic?  You would have been a hoot in the 1600s.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So therefore it's magic?  You would have been a hoot in the 1600s.  
View Quote

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Except in comic movie's case, they are saying that DNA mutations allow a person to violate every thermodynamic relationship in existence.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
But they sell tickets.  Ayn Rand's Anthem ring a bell?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
What about if they're movies made from sci-fi comics?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You realize that in most hard scifi, almost ALL of the facets of technology exceed their known equivalents?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

No, sorry. Is that her effort at writing schlock to cash in?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who pissed in your oatmeal?  Some of the comic book movies have been very, very good.  If you didn't appreciate them, it's on you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]
All stories are fiction unless you lived it.  No one or two will tell the same.
Its all fiction. When i tell you my story without a witness its fiction.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is indeed. The last capt. america movie, the winter soldier, was supposed to be good. The action was as silly as that first hobbit movie. The plot was idiotic. We didn't even get to see scarlet's tits. I couldn't figure out the point of watching it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roman:Dragons Comic Books? (sipping drink in disgust) Dragons Comic books are fantasy. There's magical talismans' or a magic sword, or wizards, or fucking crazy, not real animals. All these basic things that break the laws of reality; that shits all fantasy. I'm into hard sci fi, fantasy is all bullshit.

Yeah, you have no taste in movies, dude.  Sorry.  Someone had to tell you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You realize that in most hard scifi, almost ALL of the facets of technology exceed their known equivalents?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but it needs a backstory. If they would have shown Stark solving the problems of charged isomer explosives, then I would allow tank missiles to be sciency. But then he could just make a few dozen of them and vaporize his enemies in one shot. The explosive tech would become the focus of the government's interest in him because it would allow them to destroy things on a large scale without the stigma of nuclear weapons. It would be a game changa.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

I can always rely on you for an honest assessment. However, I disagree. All I ask for is clear character motivations and a plot that makes sense. I don't think that's too burdensome.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, but it needs a backstory. If they would have shown Stark solving the problems of charged isomer explosives, then I would allow tank missiles to be sciency. But then he could just make a few dozen of them and vaporize his enemies in one shot. The explosive tech would become the focus of the government's interest in him because it would allow them to destroy things on a large scale without the stigma of nuclear weapons. It would be a game changa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also never once showed him dropping a deuce during one of the films.  Are you equally frustrated at his ability to completely negate basic bodily fuctions?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
The Avengers documentary is actually a mockumentary?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can always rely on you for an honest assessment. However, I disagree. All I ask for is clear character motivations and a plot that makes sense. I don't think that's too burdensome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The motivation is there, you just won't see it...and none are so blind as those will not see.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

They also never once showed him dropping a deuce during one of the films.  Are you equally frustrated at his ability to completely negate basic bodily functions?  
View Quote

A mutant power for self-assimilation of waste would not be a game changer.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it does not need a back story. Having a back story for every bit of tech is just bad storytelling. The important tech that is pivotal to the story line, yes. Everything else no. Was everything about all parts of the tech in Foundation or Dune explained? Fuck no it wasnt. There was tons of stuff not explained by The Big Three (Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein) , because you DONT need to know it for the story to be progressed. In Ironman, the important part was explained, the arc reactor. We ALREADY know, he was an established weapons engineer. Is it really that hard for you to think, "hrrmmm... maybe Tony made a missile that can create an "arc pulse" greatly increasing yield over conventional chemical reactions." Aka like almost all weapon systems. Uncontrolled/unsustained energy release.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#30]
[ComicBookGuy]Graphic novels are not comic books, per se...[/CBG]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, it does not need a back story. Having a back story for every bit of tech is just bad storytelling. The important tech that is pivotal to the story line, yes. Everything else no. Was everything about all parts of the tech in Foundation or Dune explained? Fuck no it wasnt. There was tons of stuff not explained by The Big Three (Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein) , because you DONT need to know it for the story to be progressed. In Ironman, the important part was explained, the arc reactor. We ALREADY know, he was an established weapons engineer. Is it really that hard for you to think, "hrrmmm... maybe Tony made a missile that can create an "arc pulse" greatly increasing yield over conventional chemical reactions." Aka like almost all weapon systems. Uncontrolled/unsustained energy release.

View Quote

Oh, I see. Magic electric generator explains everything.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's not even enough if there is a back story it has to be a technologically feasible one too?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has as much back story as anything from The Big Three, which DEFINED the scifi genre, that you are bitching Ironman doesnt belong in.

As an Electrical Engineer with published graduate work in robotics, I think Asimov's explanation of the Singularity is shit. It's clearly just magical hoohaa with not enough back story. Therefor Asimov is a fantasy writer.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He fights bad guys. The end.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is like your opinion, man .

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Which will really be Starship Troopers armor.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread is butt beads.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean this?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have an opinion on that book.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

So it's not even enough if there is a back story it has to be a technologically feasible one too?
View Quote

If by that you mean "doesn't violate known physics principles", then yes. There is no back story to the tank missile though.

For a story to have a conflict, there has to be some internally consistent set of rules. Comic book movies regularly ignore this basic part of storytelling. And if there's no reason to have a conflict, then the resolution is pointless.

Science fiction movies work because they imagine a bit of technology and then explore the consequences.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It has as much back story as anything from The Big Three, which DEFINED the scifi genre, that you are bitching Ironman doesnt belong in.

As an Electrical Engineer with published graduate work in robotics, I think Asimov's explanation of the Singularity is shit. It's clearly just magical hoohaa with not enough back story. Therefor Asimov is a fantasy writer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're missing the point of why I brought up tank missile. You can't have a scifi plot that is driven by technological ability and then just ignore the effects that some of said tech would have on the story. There's a word I'm looking for.....oh yeah, contrived.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You're missing the point of why I brought up tank missile. You can't have a scifi plot that is driven by technological ability and then just ignore the effects that some of said tech would have on the story. There's a word I'm looking for.....oh yeah, contrived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The suits themselves are unbalancing in the world.  But much to some other people in his company's chagrin he won't sell weapons anymore.  So until someone steals one of the missiles they are his alone.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Some People just do not understand SCIFI.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone else never read a comic book, have no interest in reading comic books......but love the Marvel movies?  Or is that just me?

I was told that's kinda half-assed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If by that you mean "doesn't violate known physics principles", then yes. There is no back story to the tank missile though.

For a story to have a conflict, there has to be some internally consistent set of rules. Comic book movies regularly ignore this basic part of storytelling. And if there's no reason to have a conflict, then the resolution is pointless.

Science fiction movies work because they imagine a bit of technology and then explore the consequences.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, lets play your game then.

Rattle off some examples of movies like you are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone else never read a comic book, have no interest in reading comic books......but love the Marvel movies?  Or is that just me?

I was told that's kinda half-assed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Me. They are just fun movies that are executed well. The Avengers was just a good 2 hours of entertainment.

The DC movies are not interesting to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom Clancy films.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I just want to see a movie made from the "Haunted Tank".
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The suits themselves are unbalancing in the world.  But much to some other people in his company's chagrin he won't sell weapons anymore.  So until someone steals one of the missiles they are his alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#50]
It's all about entertainment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top