Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/27/2014 6:44:08 AM EDT
This guy ordered an AR-15 rifle kit and upper and used someone's stolen credit card to pay for it. He didn't cover his tracks very well so I was able to find his Facebook account complete with various photos of him, his home address, and his online dating profile where he is asking women to "cum" meet him. I also got his home phone number. The guy is a real class act. He had the order shipped to a UPS store about a block from his home. The clerk at the UPS store said the package was already picked up but there were a lot of other packages waiting for him.

Local cops said they don't have the resources to work a small $860 case. San Diego cops where he lives said the same thing. Recently CA raised the limit for fraud and theft to $950 so it's only a petty theft. That's probably why he kept the order under $950. I hate to just let this go. He is a 90 min drive from me. What creative ideas do you guys have? (Can't post personal info on the SOB here as that violates the TOS.)

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Call the credit card loss prevention.   Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Mail fraud?  <$950 no bother?  Great...

Surely there has to be more than $950 in stolen goods waiting there for him...

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

With a stolen card, we have to eat it. No way to get the money back.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullcrap. You are the customer. Act like it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet that is right. It is so %^$# frustrating knowing he has a bunch of stuff arriving he is buying with stolen cards and the cops won't do anything.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Cops will tell you that is what insurance is for.  They don't have time for that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, as a vendor you get screwed by the credit card companies. Only as a consumer do you have a lot of protections.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No really thats the case for every merchant agreement I've seen.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Call ATF, he is building M16 full auto baby killing machines, with 50 round bannana clips, seriously, did you tell them he is buying gun parts to make illegal firearms?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, as a vendor you get screwed by the credit card companies. Only as a consumer do you have a lot of protections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, sorry - I didn't read this as coming from a vendor. I thought you were saying he used your credit card info to buy it.

Disregard my comment.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Call ATF, he is building M16 full auto baby killing machines, with 50 round bannana clips, seriously, did you tell them he is buying gun parts to make illegal firearms?
View Quote
Yea probably that

800-
<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 18.2000007629395px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></wbr>283-4867
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmmm....  I like that!

It would not be an illegal firearm unless he is prohibited from buying one. I did a quick local court check and could not find a felony conviction for him. But I'd bet if I could do a national search on him I might found one. Buddy of mine is a sergeant in PD. Going to shoot him an email now. I bet he could do a national search. If this SOB has any felony conviction, then I might get some traction with the San Diego PD to go after him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#13]

If that doesn't work out, maybe respond to his dating profile?  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know much about California law but wouldn't that rifle/kit be illegal there? A call to the Cali DOJ may be in order.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Soooooo in. Don't call him or otherwise contact him, as that would put you on the top of his list of suspects for whatever unfortunate incidents should happen over the coming weeks. There are some really clever and inventive people here, and there exists excellent opportunity to exact a very satisfying revenge mission, even if you never see that money again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#17]
If the credit card provider won't help, is it reported as stolen?

If so, I bet if the police were to go see him for something else (possibly gun related), I bet they would run serial numbers, and well, as long as they were there....

Not that I would suggest making a false police call, as that would be illegal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would think. But they don't usually lump them together. If it was a 90min drive I'd go raise hell in person.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....  I like that!

It would not be an illegal firearm unless he is prohibited from buying one. I did a quick local court check and could not find a felony conviction for him. But I'd bet if I could do a national search on him I might found one. Buddy of mine is a sergeant in PD. Going to shoot him an email now. I bet he could do a national search. If this SOB has any felony conviction, then I might get some traction with the San Diego PD to go after him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....  I like that!

Yes, get the ATF to work for you.  I do also like the idea of responding to his dating ad.  Meet him in a dark alley, put a bag over his head and let the fun begin!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#22]
You should post all of his info ITT

Also this is a tag
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cops will tell you that is what insurance is for.  They don't have time for that.
View Quote

Well, all those dogs out there aren't just gonna shoot themselves.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, get the ATF to work for you.  I do also like the idea of responding to his dating ad.  Meet him in a dark alley, put a bag over his head and let the fun begin!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....  I like that!

The ATF can handle that, they are more professional
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha! I actually already posted on his dating profile to try to get more info on him.

I just sent my LEO buddy the info I have so far. He can be creative at times. He recently retired so I don't know what type or resources and contacts he still has. If all else fails, I drive down to San Diego about once per week. So there will be plenty of opportunity to engage this guy over time to at least get some entertainment value out of the $860.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Before you call ATF, it's possible somebody might send him a short length of pipe and some end caps and black powder.

Could happen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If the credit card provider won't help, is it reported as stolen?
If so, I bet if the police were to go see him for something else (possibly gun related), I bet they would run serial numbers, and well, as long as they were there....
Not that I would suggest making a false police call, as that would be illegal.
View Quote

Dang, you guys are devious. LOL.

He did not use my credit card. He used a stolen credit card to buy items from us.

I found a domestic abuse criminal charge on the guy. Have some info that suggests he is not originally from CA. If I can find a felony on him I think I can have him taken down with that. If not, will keep working on plan B...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Too bad the response "well I suppose paying taxes ain't worth my time" would work.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Before you call ATF, it's possible somebody might send him a short length of pipe and some end caps and black powder.

Could happen.
View Quote

Oh, my.......yep. You could send him all sorts of things, as it doesn't sound like he picks up most packages from the UPS Store. If the ATF were to get involved in this and become curious, they could open up all of his packages at the UPS Store. What might they find?      

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know much about California law but wouldn't that rifle/kit be illegal there? A call to the Cali DOJ may be in order.
View Quote

Nope and nope.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, it works like this:

YOU are the victim only up until you sign the affidavit of forgery. Once you are credited back with the funds by the card company, THEY become the victim. Most won't prosecute cases because it would cost them money to go through the process (showing up for court, providing records, etc.), and they simply raise rates to offset it. LE CANNOT go forward in a case like this if the legal victim declines prosecution.

The way the LAW works and the way people without knowledge of the system THINK it should happen are two different things. NOT a "cops don't wanna do anything," but rather a case of "cops CAN'T do anything." Believe me, worked more than a few of these and gotten stuck by banks not wanting to bother to help.

EDIT:   As a vendor, you get burned even WORSE because of the servicing agreement (which costs you money without allowing you any legal standing beyond a civil suit).
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd follow that prick wherever he went and bug the piss out of him. I'd flat out call him a no good thief whenever people were around. I'd make his sorry ass life, miserable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd follow that prick wherever he went and bug the piss out of him. I'd flat out call him a no good thief whenever people were around. I'd make his sorry ass life, miserable.
View Quote

I'd LET you....
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what then go home with him and take your parts back?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#35]
What'd be wrong with a little Craigslist ad stating "free sex/gangbang" with his address?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....  I like that!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....  I like that!

If they still do nuffin. Call the MSM.
They love to help get guns off the streets.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I think I read on Craigslist that the asshole thief was giving away a washer and dryer. It read that you were to just stop by today round dinner time and knock.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Postal Inspector..? ATF..? DEA...? FBI...? Theft through Mail. Firearms, Drugs, way to many pkgs with Mid East markings. Invite the man into his life !
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Call post office report mail fraud/mail theft  see if they can help you out those guys are usually all over that kind of thing.  Not sure if that applies if it is through usps or fedx?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not a running total.  As long as each package is less than 950 its still just petty theft thanks to prop 47 and the stupid voters.

One count or 100 counts its still just a misdemeanor now. So he is looking at a fine of between 10 and 100 dollars and as much as one year of information probation without a probation officer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#41]
See if the local news station will show up at his house.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#42]
SSS.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Local cops said they don't have the resources to work a small $860 case. San Diego cops where he lives said the same thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Call post office report mail fraud/mail theft  see if they can help you out those guys are usually all over that kind of thing.  Not sure if that applies if it is through usps or fedx?
View Quote

Maybe they care more about higher value items, but they gave me the giant shaft two months ago trying to do something about a package that I shipped.  

It was a three week bounce around of "We don't have your tracking number,  what is it?".  Contact them again.  "We still don't have the tracking number".  Completely fucking useless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#46]
It may lead to some increased attention for you, but what about the political/media angle? There has to be a politician who would be interested in a retail business owner in a situation where no law enforcement organization or government entity is willing to investigate a customer using stolen credit cards to buy machine gun parts.

Maybe start locally and expand. Eventually, someone will be interested in the crime or hearing about all of the people that have ignored your reports about the crime.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Start shipping him boxes full of rotten fish.
Or shit.
Or leaking some kind of powder.

Be sure to tell the UPS store you shipped him gun parts.
I understand that's against their policy and maybe they'll cancel his account.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Call BATF.

Get the ball rolling on him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This guy ordered an AR-15 rifle kit and upper and used someone's stolen credit card to pay for it. He didn't cover his tracks very well so I was able to find his Facebook account complete with various photos of him, his home address, and his online dating profile where he is asking women to "cum" meet him. I also got his home phone number. The guy is a real class act. He had the order shipped to a UPS store about a block from his home. The clerk at the UPS store said the package was already picked up but there were a lot of other packages waiting for him.

Local cops said they don't have the resources to work a small $860 case. San Diego cops where he lives said the same thing. Recently CA raised the limit for fraud and theft to $950 so it's only a petty theft. That's probably why he kept the order under $950. I hate to just let this go. He is a 90 min drive from me. What creative ideas do you guys have? (Can't post personal info on the SOB here as that violates the TOS.)

<a href="http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/cncarmory/media/thief_zps152414ee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t546/cncarmory/thief_zps152414ee.jpg</a>
View Quote

I had something similar happen to me 3 years ago. Local PD declined to press charges and told me that I was made whole by the CC company so I shouldn't worry about it. I was polite and asked to speak with a detective. Long story short I told the Detective that I would travel to their location to testify if need be. She thought about it for a while and then went for it.  2 months later shit bird went to court, was prosecuted and received 3 years probabtion. Not what I had hoped for but at least something.

As for your question as what to do...either pursue it legally or let it go.

Quoted:
Call BATF.

Get the ball rolling on him.
View Quote

Not sure if ATF will take this as parts aren't a firearm, hence not under their jursidiction. Who you want to contact is the UPS fraud dept explain that this individual is apperantly involved in significant  fraud. From what you've posted this wouldn't be  difficult case as apperantly the receiver is also the perpetrator. Often, in mail fraud, the individual uses an unwitting person to receive the packages, which are then repackedged and then forwarded on.  Apperantly not so in this case.  

The investigators that staff the fraud departments are almost exclusively retired LE and they live for this shit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's not a running total.  As long as each package is less than 950 its still just petty theft thanks to prop 47 and the stupid voters.

One count or 100 counts its still just a misdemeanor now. So he is looking at a fine of between 10 and 100 dollars and as much as one year of information probation without a probation officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. California wins again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top