Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/23/2014 10:00:20 AM EDT
We all know how 300BO is the new wonder round that does everything.

I never bought into it, yeah the subsonic is insanely quiet (I own a 30 cal can) but the cost of ammo was always a big deterrent for me. So ppl who bought into 300BO, would you do it again?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't do it again. I haven't fired my 300BLK in probably two years. Yes it's quiet. But so is my suppressed 9mm AR with subsonics, which is way cheaper to shoot. I would also rather shoot a 5.56 AR with a suppressor. Yeah it's louder, but still quiet enough, and again much cheaper. Any of my other options still puts a hole in paper. And I am set up for reloading 300BLK.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a reloader, I'm too lazy to put that much work into making that brass.  I don't have a can, so there's that too.
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an appreciation for the caliber.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  Making your own 300 BO brass from fired .223 cases and reloading makes it much more fun.   I find the brass doesn't stretch and it seems like the cases will last forever almost like reloading .45 acp.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless ammo gets cheaper I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda where I'm at.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I reload, so I am happy with it.  I don't burn piles of it of course, but it is a pretty versatile round
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.    Although I don't have a can, or have shot any subsonics....yet,   It performs well for a nice, lightweight semi auto hunting rifle for deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I have mine for two main reasons. I can hunt with it in a pistol, and I cast bullets, so it is cheap to shoot. I have more time than money, and casting/reloading is a hobby as much as the shooting is.
The lead bullets are lot easier on our steel plates, and i can shoot a lot more for the same money.

If you don't reload, then wanting a quiet subsonic specialty round is the main draw. Or if you want a hunting round bigger than a .22 for states that require it. But you have to pay more for ammo. For me, as a reloader, it was worth the investment as a hunting rig I can shoot cheap.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd not buy it again for sure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I use mine with 125gr supers for deer.

I was going to build a subsonic 8" pistol or SBR, but the cost of heavy 30cal projectiles steared me away.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I sold the one I had; just wasn't all that impressed with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have four built, 2 extra barrels, and a few lowers. I might put a few more together, who knows?. I bought my first just after they came out and bought a bunch of ammo then too. I think it's great for the purposes I use it for.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes.  Making your own 300 BO brass from fired .223 cases and reloading makes it much more fun.   I find the brass doesn't stretch and it seems like the cases will last forever almost like reloading .45 acp.
View Quote

Agreed, but I'm mostly loading subsonics right now. Same for supers?

For anyone that already preps rifle brass, converting .223 to 300blk is really only one more step and an easy one at that. The cheap mini chopsaw and a jig makes quick work of cutting the cases down to close to the proper length - maybe 3 secs a case if setup properly. Then just resize and trim as normal. The CTS trimmers are priced right and work quick IMO for anything I load a lot of like .223 or 300blk (WFT work good too).
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Not really new. IIRC Twenty years ago it was called 300 Whisper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#17]
For those of us that reload and have suppressors, its a very sweet deal. Brass is available and the various powders are out there.
I still think it is a very multi-purpose round that is easily adaptable over a wide range of applications , offering excellent performance over other calibers.
I built a pistol that will do what many other weapons cannot.
If there is one gun to reach for, this may be it.
Ammo is coming down in price and I am seeing it on the shelves now in many places.
Many of us .300 Blackout fans have been loading and purchasing for a couple years now, and my current supplies will easily sustain me using it for years.
Nobody said this hobby is cheap and I love these cool little rounds.
For the plinkers that want to do it cheap, this is not your deal.
For the folks that want adequate power midrange and versatility that exceeds other rounds, this is your next step up.
What gets hit, goes down.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I love it and just bought my second upper.  I've wanted to get into reloading for sometime and this got me into it.  I've never been the biggest have of 223, so I love shooting this bigger bullet.  It's so versital in many situations.  I don't have a can yet but that was my main reason to buy I to it.   With a can and shooting subs I'll be able to shoot at my dads with him.  I'm kind of getting him into guns and teaching him about them.  We lives to shoot but would never go to a range so it will be great to do it at his place.  It's also great out of shorter barrels.  
The only downside is ammo price.  But I'm seeing it on shelves all over and I think it will come down.  We just need more people shooting it!  Buy in!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I just did. I sold the 16" and put together an 8.5"

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#20]
In my opinion the 300BLK is another boring boutique round.  Yawn.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Myths that I had busted with 300 blk

-it is not 762x51 in a small package (this is what everyone who had one at work kept telling me), I think it's a smaller, lighter 458 SOCOM in terms of how far you can throw it
-you won't be able to plug and play, get some new buffers and springs and some range time
-adding a can affects the above
-accuracy issues with some kinds of ammo (for me it was the Wally World Remington)
-ammo is not "readily available AND cheap" you'll have to learn to reload, reloads are tricky to dial in and you'll probably have malfs until you set everything up
-it's not the "hog killer" it's been advertised as. At least two bigger 300 pound hogs were still alive and kicking

With that said, a silenced 10" SBR with 300 blk is a sweet shooting gun once you get it working.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Ammo has been getting cheaper. I am routinely finding UMC and other cheaper rounds for 70 cents a round. With a 30 cal suppressor and a single set of dies I can shoot really quiet, which is a good capability to have.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd definitively do it again.
My 300 blackout with a 10.5" Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel has been incredibly accurate for me- more so than my 5.56 out to a certain range of course
The price of the ammo isn't that great but it's cheaper than 308, usually!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#24]
in the middle of building mine
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#25]
It sucks
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I went with a 9" SBR and a suppressor. So it is pretty cool in that setup as it is quiet like a suppressed .22LR but it hits harder, and you can step up to Krinkov level ballistics with a mag change.  If you reload, it uses readily available components - .223 brass and .308 bullets.

Downsides?  Well, I appreciate what a flat shooting cartridge 5.56 is a lot more now.  With 5.56, I usually don't even worry about what ammo I zeroed with under 300yds; because anything 5.56 will be close enough.  With .300 BLK from a 9" barrel, you get some dramatic point of impact shifts just by changing rounds (and I'm not just talking sonic to subsonic either).  So trying to remember which holdover goes with which zero for each type of ammo is like doing calculus in your head (for me anyway).  And if you don't reload, your choices are cheapish ($0.38-$0.60/rd) blasting ammo that doesn't match either subsonics or premium hunting/self-defense ammo for trajectory, or you shoot the premium stuff at $1 a round.

I think I am still on the fence at the moment; but it is giggle like a schoolgirl quiet.  Of course, so is my .22LR with suppressor and it is a lot cheaper to plink with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As a reloader, I'm too lazy to put that much work into making that brass.  I don't have a can, so there's that too.
View Quote

I've seen bulk .300 Blackout brass (converted from 5.56) at Cabela's, and there's a few guys on the EE that sell it in bulk as well.  You can save a little bit by making it yourself but it's no longer necessary to do so.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Just stick to 7.62x39..... that's all 300blk is anyways, just the western rendition of it. Yeah, takes funky mags in an AR but once you get the kinks worked out, it just goes

Or you could just get an AK/VZ/Sig/Vepr/SKS and run with it.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just stick to 7.62x39..... that's all 300blk is anyways, just the western rendition of it. Yeah, takes funky mags in an AR but once you get the kinks worked out, it just goes

View Quote
Fuck that commie crap.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As a reloader, I'm too lazy to put that much work into making that brass.  snip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As a reloader, I'm too lazy to put that much work into making that brass.  snip.

plus

Quoted:

Plus

I already have an SBR that I like.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do it again. I haven't fired my 300BLK in probably two years. Yes it's quiet. I would also rather shoot a 5.56 AR with a suppressor. Yeah it's louder, but still quiet enough, and again much cheaper. Any of my other options still puts a hole in paper. And I am set up for reloading 300BLK.
View Quote

Same. It's quiet but meh. The novelty wore off real fast and the cost to produce brass, reload a 30 cal bullet etc is a turn off to me. I don't hunt so it's really of no use to me. Just puts a bigger hole in paper and costs more to do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Myths that I had busted with 300 blk

-it is not 762x51 in a small package (this is what everyone who had one at work kept telling me), I think it's a smaller, lighter 458 SOCOM in terms of how far you can throw it
-you won't be able to plug and play, get some new buffers and springs and some range time
-adding a can affects the above
-accuracy issues with some kinds of ammo (for me it was the Wally World Remington)
-ammo is not "readily available AND cheap" you'll have to learn to reload, reloads are tricky to dial in and you'll probably have malfs until you set everything up
-it's not the "hog killer" it's been advertised as. At least two bigger 300 pound hogs were still alive and kicking

With that said, a silenced 10" SBR with 300 blk is a sweet shooting gun once you get it working.
View Quote

Every one of your issues could have been avoided by doing 10 minutes of research .
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#34]
If you can reload 556, then 300blk is no different, assuming you are not doing this on a single stage

It takes me the same amount of steps/time to convert 556 to 300 as it does processing once fired LC

Dillon 650

In goes brass
resize/deprime
Trim
out goes brass

556 --> 300
in goes brass
deprime
size and trim to 300
out goes brass

So easy even I can do it.  $50 LC once fired brass, and the shit brass I used to toss that is no good for 556 works perfect when turned into 300, even blanks have a use now.

2x 10.5" and a 16" AR(assembled with cheap easily obtained parts), really was plug and play, no change in buffer or spring or even adjustable gas blocks, they just run

Adding a can has had a HUGE effect, a grin ear to ear, subs run with or without the can.

Accuracy, hits what I aim at, but I don't and have not ever bought any factory ammo, why when I can make subs for $.12 a piece?, super for the same if i cast them?

300 is for reloaders, if your a Flavor of the month buyer you are doing it wrong

I am a noob reloading, and with over 10 different 300 loads in subs and supers and even learning casting on it I have had NO dialing in issues with it at all except for getting speeds in the right place.  Use the proper powders and spend some time on 300blktalk.com

If you do not reload, or don't have stoopid amounts of cash, then you probably should not be playing with any niche round..... ever    This would be pointless if I didn't reload.  

And all my 556 are getting lonely as they rarely get time in the yard anymore.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I haven't been able to find any H110 or AA1680, so that is a real downer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to agree.

It really was a lot of work, for very little reward.

Sold upper, dies, and trimmer to same buyer and never looked back.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#37]
IMR4198 works real good and there is load data for it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote

Considering ammo is getting cheaper and expanding subsonic are coming online I agree.

Also considering all I have invested is a $100 barrel it it well worth it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Meh, I think that I'll pass on it.

I don't reload (don't have room in my current house)

I shoot a lot (don't want to shoot $1/rd ammo out of a semi auto)

Sorry, but it's not you 300BO, it's me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Me too.    Although I don't have a can, or have shot any subsonics....yet,   It performs well for a nice, lightweight semi auto hunting rifle for deer and hogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, why not 6.x for much better ballistics?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I have one but I don't shoot it as much as I used to, I prefer my 7.62x39
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me, I don't need 6.x.  Shots rarely exceed 100 yds in the areas of the Sierra where I hunt.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I would like to get into it.

I have a quantity of .300 Whisper brass I bought years ago but never really did the gun.
I have a .30 can
I have lowers registered as SBRs
I am a long time handloader.
I don't care about the price of the ammo.

I like to play around with new stuff. I get bored with owning and/or doing the same old thing.
I see factory ammo on the shelves for whatever that is worth.

Weather permitting, I go to the rifle range a few times a week. A typical rifle shooting session for me is 40 rounds. I don't just spray ammo down range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Never fell for the hype as most new things are. Just like 5.7 round and many other weapons (ACR, FN2000...).
I wait at least 1 or 2 years before getting into the new stuff just to see if its worth it and I wait for the price to come down.
I can afford most weapons and ammo I just don't like throwing money away for a fad.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#46]
As a reloader who makes his own brass (from spent .223) with an SBR'd Suppressed .300 blk?

I would absolutely do it again.

As a matter of fact, I have a lower sitting in my safe right now that is gonna be another .300blk when it grows up.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

.300blk obsoletes 7.62x39 and causes the AR to render the AK platform obsolete.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not getting into the 300 game.  It would be like my experience with 6.8 SPC.  Shoot it sparingly, than almost never due to the cost of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#49]
It's a good round for its intended purpose, but in 10 years it will just be added to the long list of forgotten alternate caliber rounds developed for the AR15.
to answer the question, YES I would do it again, reason is AR15's are a large part of my firearm hobby & I like to try all variants, So the 300BO will be added to the pile of alternative AR caliber uppers I own & play with. I must admit that .458 SOCOM is still my favorite ?? alternate AR caliber.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#50]

I like the 6.8 better
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top