Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 1:28:36 PM EDT
Source

"After three days exploring the Longs Peak area of Rocky Mountain National Park, search and rescue personnel still have found no signs of the missing 25-year-old hiker from Broomfield.

Peter Jeffris has not been seen since reportedly leaving Sunday morning to climb 14,259-foot-tall Longs Peak. He did not arrive at work Monday and his car was later found in the Longs Peak Trailhead parking lot.

The search will continue Thursday.

A 32-member search and rescue team from several organizations searched nearly 20 square miles Wednesday, the third day of the search. Park officials said no significant signs or clues of Jeffris' whereabouts were found."

The guy may still be alive or more likely he is frozen by now.  It is true that you can't stop stupid.

Had the guy taken a PLB such as listed below, his location would  have been know and perhaps rescued days ago.

One brand of PLB
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Paging Mr Darwin. Phone call from Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
A PLB doesn't do any good if you pitch off of Chasm View or the top of The Diamond.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A PLB doesn't do any good if you pitch off of Chasm View or the top of The Diamond.
View Quote

Obviously if you commit suicide or die in a fall or avalanche it won't work.  Many of these cases of missing hikers could result in a positive outcome if they can be found quickly.  A GPS enabled PLB can do that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Was said to be doing the normal Cables Route / Keyhole on the North side, but they are also searching Keiner's and Lamb Slide on the East face - though I can't see how someone doing the walk up would think an East side descent would be the least bit safe.  Broadway, or more likely, Mills Glacier may be worth a look - don't know how you'd be able to really check Mills, though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys seem to be ruling out other 2 and 4 legged threats.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd put that very low on the list.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's always the weather that gets them first

ETA :
And the 4 leggers know this why expend calories when something else will do it for ya
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Hatchet Jack II?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to do the hike up Long's, walking down to the edge of the East Face to catch a good view of the Chasm would definitely be the thing to do ... but one slip, and it's 800 feet to a bounce off Broadway Ledge (the large, steep snowfield in the lower portion of the picture), and then another 400 to Mills Glacier.  One person has survived the 400 foot fall from Broadway to Mills, but no one is going to survive a drop onto Broadway.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It has been cold recently and there may be significant snow on that mountain.  In the last few days there could have been periods of strong winds.  

It is not unreasonable to guess that his body may already be snow covered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Soloing Longs in the middle of November? Not exactly something I would recommend.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Chasm View Notch (right at the sunlight/shadow portion of the photo) may also be something for the search crews to check, but it's unlikely someone would lose his footing there - it's a desk-sized flat rock that you walk up to, not down to, and there should be some anchor webbing to hold onto if you want to peer out over the side.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Soloing Longs in the middle of November? Not exactly something I would recommend.
View Quote

Several days last week the highs in Denver were single digit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Bigfoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
But hey it was sunny when I left Denver

People don't really grasp how severe  the weather changes here and how quick
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Christ, it was pretty cold and snowy Sunday too.
what was this guy thinking?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
They located his body this afternoon. The info I saw said around 200 ft. below the Ledges on Keyhole. Sad, but he should have known better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.

We're doing a winter summit of Longs this year, but not this early in the season.  What a dumbass move.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They located his body this afternoon. The info I saw said around 200 ft. below the Ledges on Keyhole. Sad, but he should have known better.
View Quote

How did he die? Fall?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How did he die? Fall?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How did he die? Fall?

I would assume so. I'm not sure how experienced he was, but that area can be tricky for anyone when snow is involved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 2 legged threat is not very prevelent in this area. That would probably be the last thing.

I have been to Long's Peak a few times and never seen signs of mountain lion or bear (they are around though).
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming he had crampons and an axe, right?  I can't imagine trying this without.

But, in early-season mixed conditions, it's easy to skate on black ice even with crampons, or especially exposed rock.  Snow, thin snow, snow, then one step on a lone, exposed, wobbly rock with one crampon - and with a sharp, spine grating sound, you've lost footing in marginal conditions that aren't favorable for self arrest.

Even if he was with somebody, it's easy to pull your partner off with you on 4th class terrain like that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#23]
My initial view that a PLB or similar could have saved it was wrong.  Obviously falling to your death is not changed by having a PLB.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Was said to be doing the normal Cables Route / Keyhole on the North side, but they are also searching Keiner's and Lamb Slide on the East face - though I can't see how someone doing the walk up would think an East side descent would be the least bit safe.  Broadway, or more likely, Mills Glacier may be worth a look - don't know how you'd be able to really check Mills, though.
View Quote

There is no walk up route on longs peak. This is the third person to die on the ledges this year, at least one death was in summer conditions.

Also cables and keyhole are two very different routes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]
The winds at the Keyhole have been clocked at 200 mph plus.

I've been up Longs numerous times, I've literally had to crawl to get past the keyhole before.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is no walk up route on longs peak. This is the third person to die on the ledges this year, at least one death was in summer conditions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mistake for confusing the routes.  I'm not very familiar with the routes once you move off the Diamond. And as you said, these normal routes are sketchy enough in good conditions, let alone early winter mixed conditions.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
When we first moved here I was appalled how people just wander off into the wilderness to "hike" without proper winter gear for high elevations, enough water, the means to build a fire, or even a "call 911 if I don't come back after 3pm Sunday" contingency.

Now I just see it as Darwinism at work.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Longs Peak kills people every year.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When we first moved here I was appalled how people just wander off into the wilderness to "hike" without proper winter gear for high elevations, enough water, the means to build a fire, or even a "call 911 if I don't come back after 3pm Sunday" contingency.

Now I just see it as Darwinism at work.
View Quote

Some "smart" people
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. People wrongly assume that since so many people climb Longs Peak every year (10,000+) that it must be easy. It has killed at least 4 TIMES as many people as any other mountain in Colorado, more than 70 now. The difficult section on the keyhole route is about 1.5 miles, all above 13,000 feet, mostly in the shade all day. The rocks can be polished smooth from heavy traffic.

I fight with the 14er community about this occasionally.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This. People wrongly assume that since so many people climb Longs Peak every year (10,000+) that it must be easy. It has killed at least 4 TIMES as many people as any other mountain in Colorado, more than 70 now. The difficult section on the keyhole route is about 1.5 miles, all above 13,000 feet, mostly in the shade all day. The rocks can be polished smooth from heavy traffic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  Although I imagine its super popularity plays into the death toll, the number of people climbing it doesn't mean its easy at all.  It just means its popular.   Hope to climb it one day.  Hope I can move out to the springs in a couple of years.  It is certainly not going to be high on the to do list.  Not the mountain I want to cut my teeth on.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah.  Although I imagine its super popularity plays into the death toll, the number of people climbing it doesn't mean its easy at all.  It just means its popular.   Hope to climb it one day.  Hope I can move out to the springs in a couple of years.  It is certainly not going to be high on the to do list.  Not the mountain I want to cut my teeth on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bierstadt would be the standard "cut your teeth on" 14er.

If you want a 14er with supplemental oxygen, try Bear Peak in Boulder.  If you want a higher mountain but still not a 14er, go for Twin Sisters in RMNP.  Or Chief's Head in RMNP -- that one's almost a 14er.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View Quote

Until late last year, I was the LP Area Ranger.   Man, let me tell you, people do ALL kinds of crazy things.....   The two kids a couple years ago who climbed up to Broadway Ledge thinking they were on the Keyhole Route, nuff said.  When we were installing some fixed anchors above the False Keyhole (for tech rescue work) tons of people came wandering up thinking they were on route.  

Anyway, i just got off a crappy rainy 10 hr rescue so I'm going to bed.

cheers,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top