Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2014 7:55:43 PM EDT
And take a huge pay cut?

I'm looking at moving into a gig that pays 1/5 of what I make.  Tired of the stress, bullshit, and liability of my current career.

Looking at a much more physical type of job, more relaxing and "therapeutic".  

Anyone ever do this?  I wonder if I'm just burned out and need a break and a new company to move to.

Is it worth it to do what you want?  Because I am really fucking unhappy where I'm at.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
65k to 45k to 100k
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
quite a few times some by choice others not so much
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I left the electrical field to wok in friends bar
As kitchen mngr & cook. Hard adjustment, but was
Fun while it lasted, just over 2 yrs.  I may do it
Again, my body is beat up from electrical work
Looking at OTR trucking and county jail

Edit.  Jail as employee,not resident.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Went from Sales Manager at American National at $100K to Service Rep at Cingular at $30K to Nursing at $40k
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it, but did not take that big of a pay cut. I enjoy the physical work over sitting behind a desk. It depends on what you make and if you can afford a 4/5 pay cut.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
yes.

but mostly for an increase in pay.

Last change was 15k less, but a warmer climate, and a less stressful job (national travel on a monthly basis with the looming prospect of going global vs. a job where I'm home most nights of the year)...

Career wise...yeah, I'm in version 3.0 right now. I definitely did not think when in school that I'd be here (both geographically and career wise) at this point in my life. Flexibility is key.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
80% pay cut?

Oh, hell no. No way I'd do that willingly...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
yea im in the over the road trucking even tho im home every day but all the new dot regualation and hoopes to jump tru its getting ruff
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.  It's worth it.  It took a while to recoup, but totally worth it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in 2007 I was making $85k or so and took a job in a different field with a demotion and a reduction in pay to $49K.

It panned out...but there weren't any guarantees at the time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
80% pay cut?

View Quote

Shit, just keep the job you hate and do it 80% less.  You'd have more free time and same money.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I am an electrician.  If I could figure out what else to do with out taking a huge paycut I would.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
80% pay cut?

View Quote

It will suck for sure if I pull the trigger, but I'll be able to shitcan a 3 hour daily commute and lower my stress level....dramatically.

Hard to find what I do in my town, sick of driving to Denver.

I'll have more time with my kid too, which is a huge motivator toward the change.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Shit, just keep the job you hate and do it 80% less.  You'd have more free time and same money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
80% pay cut?

I could maybe do consulting work part of the time, that wouldn't be bad.  Just have to drum up some work I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Really want to but with 13 years to go before .gov retirement I will have to stick I out.  I'm hoping to to make my part time job as a cc instructor full time when I retire.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, thanks to the economy in '08, I was laid off from my production manager job a week before Christmas. The following month I was taking engineering courses at Virginia Tech as a 32 year old. Graduated in 2010 and finally landed a structural engineering job 8 months later with a salary that was 2/3 of what I was making as a production manager. I take the PE exam next year. Glad I went this route and got out of manufacturing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]
IT to avionics tech in USMC (6324), to commercial carpentry to Utilities Engineer (1171) to Water tech/chemical analysis to L/E.  With some freelance photography thrown in for fun and a part time gig at REI so I'm on version 5.0
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

yea im in the over the road trucking even tho im home every day but all the new dot regualation and hoopes to jump tru its getting ruff
View Quote

They are going to force everyone out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL, lifetime of "physical" work and I'm broke down, tired, and looking for a cushy, "sit on my ass in climate controlled comfort" job.
For mo' money!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, went from $100k to $0 for a year to ride my bike. Then went from $45k to $25k to do something fun. Then went from $25k to $0 to raise my kids. I may be missing out on some "stuff" but I am not missing out on my kids lives! I love it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
80% pay cut?

View Quote

Me either, but I sure as hell am doing it. Regional VP of sales in the investment business to a hotel security guard. I swear to God, I'm about to lose my mind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL, lifetime of "physical" work and I'm broke down, tired, and looking for a cushy, "sit on my ass in climate controlled comfort" job.
For mo' money!
View Quote

Right behind you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Pete, I don't know what your field is, but that's a huge cut in pay.

can you find a similar job at  a rival company? Call a recruiter and see if they can represent you if you don't know where to start.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
$100k  corporate job for a $40k middle school teaching job. I could not be happier.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quit my job as an accountant to start a business with plans to make 1/2 what I used to. Ended up making 5 times what I used to, but was working 12-15 hrs per day, 365. Thought it would be cool to be my own boss, you end up with thousands of customers that are your boss.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Kinda matters what you're currently paid and your current lifestyle/burn rate.

From 5 million to 1 million? I could swing that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I did and it's the best decision I ever made. Went from the corporate world to preaching, and I'm so glad I did.

I was doing fine before and the company was good to work for, but I can't tell you how much it's worth to me to have made that change. For the first time in a long time, work doesn't feel like work. It's what I'd be doing anyway if working hours were my spare time.

Yes, the pay is far worse, but the benefit is worth far more than you could put a dollar value on.

Money isn't everything. Time with the family and personal sanity are priceless. As long as you can pay the bills and feed the family, follow your heart.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Graduated in the to 6% of my College class.  President of one of the largest student organizations on campus.    Was making 6 figures by the age of 27 working for a Fortune 50 company as a Logistics Consultant. I traveled all over the world working some serious hours.  Work was life.   Hardly ever had time for friends or family.  I never was home.

I ran into serious health issues and took a step back.  Being told that you only have a 30% chance of surviving past the next 6 years really puts things into perspective.    Now making $54k a year at a simple 9-5 desk job.

Only problem is that my current employer is starting to discover how smart I really am.   I played stupid and got away with it for over a year.  Life was good being at the bottom of the white collar food chain.  Recently,  I let a couple of very smart statements out that wound up solving a bunch of company problems during a meeting with our Directors.  Now they are looking to me for direction.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Not really in the same phase of life as most of you but I have a college degree and was making good money right out of school. Dropped all of that to "work" basically unpaid with a life that revolves around racing dirt bikes. Been a few months and reality is starting to hit me. But I wouldn't change a thing in the world with the choices I made.

(just called my former employer today about hiring me back...)
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Does retiring count?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Went from .mil (retired) to telecommunications (Sr. PM) and back to DoD.  Took a 35% cut to go to DoD with a greatly increased stress level.  Stupid huh?  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I went from high stress job to retirement. Best move I ever made. I can actually sleep at night now, and my stomach isn't in an uproar all the time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I have. It was worth it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

can you find a similar job at  a rival company? Call a recruiter and see if they can represent you if you don't know where to start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a CFO for a European company.

The path I'm considering is part time Scuba instructor, part time software developer which would include some periodic travel to AK if the thing I'm kind of working on came together.  

Just a *bit* of a career change. I used to be a server monkey in IT then did some development work before switching careers into finance/accounting.  

I even considered doing some wrenching on motorcycles at a buddy's shop or trying to get my A&P (aircraft mechanic; I'm a pilot and love the thought of working on planes and getting greasy all day).  I guess just anything mechanical and hands-on.

I can't sleep worth a crap, I get home with my jaw clenched due to the traffic, have no energy for my kid, and have to be accessible basically 24/7.  Granted, I do have some very good benefits (outside of the salary + bonus) but at this point I'd trade the company car and other bennies for a $500 Pinto if that's what it took to get out.

Quoted:
I did and it's the best decision I ever made. Went from the corporate world to preaching, and I'm so glad I did.

I was doing fine before and the company was good to work for, but I can't tell you how much it's worth to me to have made that change. For the first time in a long time, work doesn't feel like work. It's what I'd be doing anyway if working hours were my spare time.

Yes, the pay is far worse, but the benefit is worth far more than you could put a dollar value on.

Money isn't everything. Time with the family and personal sanity are priceless. As long as you can pay the bills and feed the family, follow your heart.

This is my thinking these days.  I even thought about starting a small company or just staying freelance.  At least it would be work of my own choosing.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I did it this year. Went from a good paying corporate job to firefighting. The financial adjustment has been tough but it has been well worth it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you live on that?

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Machinegun Preacher
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Machinegun Preacher
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Machinegun Preacher

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Went from graphic design (HATED the company and the job) to law enforcement with a pay cut...holy lord was that a smart move.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Went from Sales Manager at American National at $100K to Service Rep at Cingular at $30K to Nursing at $40k
View Quote

Nursing at 40k? Where do you work?!?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#42]
In 2 years, 9 months and 13 days (that's 628 working days in case you were trying to do the math in your head), I will make a career change and probably impact my income drastically.

Retiring from .gov and will focus on my property management company.  I hope to grow this business into my second career after retirement at the tender age of 52.

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Went from a $64k/yr oilfield rental management job to move back to my hometown and currently make $21k/yr take home as a security guard.  Trying to get into law enforcement or fire fighting or something that doesn't require crazy hours and soul-stealing computer time/constant call-in meetings.  If I wasn't staying with my parents and actually trying to live off this salary while I'm in transition I'd barely be keeping my head above water.  City budgets are tight and each local agency seems to hire less than 5 officers or firefighters a year with HUNDREDS of applicants.  I feel your pain but I don't regret leaving the job I hated, even with my future uncertain.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Chaplain Mastadon?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It will suck for sure if I pull the trigger, but I'll be able to shitcan a 3 hour daily commute and lower my stress level....dramatically.

I'll have more time with my kid too, which is a huge motivator toward the change.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
80% pay cut?

Those are all laudable, but losing 80% of your income is going to hurt bad.

Find something that gives you what you want but preserves more income. Avoid that stress...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I went from private investigator to machinist. Unpredictable schedules, flirting with heat-related illness sitting in a surveillance van in the summer... Moderate pay cut to get my foot in the door, but now I'm solidly ahead salary-wise and have a predictable schedule.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Find something that gives you what you want but preserves more income. Avoid that stress...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
80% pay cut?

My suggestion in these scenarios is to find something you don't hate that pays decent. If the money is crap, you'll eventually hate the job, so it's a false scenario.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#48]
You will just be trading one major stress for another!

Lack of income and the uncertainty will put a huge strain on your wallet and marriage. I'm sure the wife has become accustomed to a certain lifestyle, can she turn a 180 without issue, as well as yourself?

Going into huge debt to make this work would be and even bigger stress added on the fire so absolutely don't go that route.

I started life off working with my hands, turned that into opening my own company which I closed willingly before the huge crash happened with perfect timing then used that experience to make a few parallel moves until I ended up in a very low stress, high paying job that I get to utilize all my lifes working experience in.

I was always willing to take a small to medium income hit but only if the results are a pretty sure thing or a stepping stone to my next goal. It really comes down to just how valuable you are and more than just the field you have worked in and how easy it is to sell yourself. For myself, this was a huge advantage because I have made myself high value to multiple fields, which everyone should strive to do Putting that into context, I was offered the position for every single job I interviewed for my whole life

Long drives, constant work hour changes, crazy OT hours and running a business are all horrible on your health and well being so I completely understand your mindset. Try thinking outside the box of your actual field and what jobs you can get that are geographically desirable, have normal hours and close to the same pay or even way higher. Easiest way to get a big raise is to move on
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:...

Me either, but I sure as hell am doing it. Regional VP of sales in the investment business to a hotel security guard. I swear to God, I'm about to lose my mind.
View Quote

Pretty much same here.

Went from VP of an investment firm to hospital security guard.  One thing though, I am a shit ton happier.  I may not be rolling in the cash I used to make but there is soooooo much less stress in my life.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you dont work any overtime and you are a fairly recent graduate, 40k is about right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top