Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2014 12:20:14 PM EDT
My old Keurig finally died, went to order a new one and see most of them are now DRM!  WTF, for a coffee maker?  I know they make most of their money on coffee, but there are so many other companies making k-cups now days that are better.

Anyway, what company makes a good k-cup coffee maker that doesn't involve DRM?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A member here did a hack by cutting the scanned portion of the cup off an "official" k-cup and pasting it over the DRM-scanning eye.  Pretty nice workaround.  (Coffee wants to be free!  )
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A member here did a hack by cutting the scanned portion of the cup off an "official" k-cup and pasting it over the DRM-scanning eye.  Pretty nice workaround.  (Coffee wants to be free!  )
View Quote

Yeah, I don't want to mess with that.  Fuck Keurig for this bullshit, I won't buy shit from them again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut and paste ftmfw!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of youtube on this.

Bought one of the new one's at costco the other day.

Wife bought some of the generic K-cups that you can fill with your own blend.

Brewed up a couple cups of the "NEW" Stuff.

Took a sharp razor knife, and cut the rim off the old/used K-cups.....

Hot glued the old used rim to the top of the refillable cups....

WORKS GREAT......
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
DRM

From Wiki
Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a class of technologies[1] that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders, and individuals with the intent to control the use of digital content and devices after sale;[1][2][3] there are, however, many competing definitions.[4] With first-generation DRM software, the intent is to control copying; with second-generation DRM, the intent is to control executing, viewing, copying, printing, and altering of works or devices. The term is also sometimes referred to as copy protection, copy prevention, and copy control, although the correctness of apply DRM is in dispute.[5] DRM is a set of access control technologies.[6][7] In 1998, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) was passed in the United States to impose criminal penalties on those who make available technologies whose primary purpose and function are to circumvent content protection technologies.

The use of digital rights management is not universally accepted. Some content providers claim that DRM is necessary to fight copyright infringement and that it can help the copyright holder maintain artistic control[9] or ensure continued revenue streams.[10] Proponents argue that digital locks should be considered necessary to prevent "intellectual property" from being copied freely, just as physical locks are needed to prevent personal property from being stolen.[11] Those opposed to DRM contend there is no evidence that DRM helps prevent copyright infringement, arguing instead that it serves only to inconvenience legitimate customers, and that DRM helps big business stifle innovation and competition.[12] Furthermore, works can become permanently inaccessible if the DRM scheme changes or if the service is discontinued
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
They're trying to maintain market share of the coffee.  A quick google search shows companies selling cheaper "cups" that crack the DRM code
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lots of youtube on this.

WORKS GREAT......
View Quote

Thanks...bought 2.0 this week for Christmas present. I wanted to use the refillable cup.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much had to see this coming...

Capitalists gonna capitalize.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Get a French Press and be done with it.
In away I feel sorry for some of you because you won't be able to brew coffee when the electricity is cut after the zombies attack. Then again, I'll be the sole supplier of brewed coffee in my AO and a Warlord with an army of caffeine addicts at my disposal.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't know about the DRM until reading this thread.

I love my Keurig, but once it's dead I'm done.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're trying to maintain market share of the coffee.  A quick google search shows companies selling cheaper "cups" that crack the DRM code
View Quote

I don't want them to even get money for the machine after pulling this shit...there are several makers that use k-cups, just wondering which is best.

Funny thing is, I used to order most of my coffee from the keurig website...I have enough points to get 50% off any of their brewers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here, I've had my eye on a Bunn, I'll have to see if they're in on this DRM crap.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In away I feel sorry for some of you because you won't be able to brew coffee when the electricity is cut after the zombies attack. Then again, I'll be the sole supplier of brewed coffee in my AO and a Warlord with an army of caffeine addicts at my disposal.

View Quote

I've got this for the apocalypse!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't want them to even get money for the machine after pulling this shit...there are several makers that use k-cups, just wondering which is best.

Funny thing is, I used to order most of my coffee from the keurig website...I have enough points to get 50% off any of their brewers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man that sucks. I have a Bunn drip coffee maker and it's the cats ass as far as drip coffee makers go, they do make a K-Cup coffee maker, I don't know if they're DRM or not though.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Save your money and get a Cafejo My French Press for K-cups. They try to sell it as a french press but it really isn't a true french press. It works well with K-Cups, Pods or the included fill-your-own K-cup. Great to travel with especially since some motels offer Kurig machines & K-Cups in the lobby or breakfast area.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have the right to do it, I have the right to not purchase from them...it all works out in the end.  Look at the reviews on Amazon.  I'm guessing they won't stick with it for too long.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lots of youtube on this.

WORKS GREAT......
View Quote

TL,DF

(too long, didn't fix)

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Save your money and get a Cafejo My French Press for K-cups. They try to sell it as a french press but it really isn't a true french press. It works well with K-Cups, Pods or the included fill-your-own K-cup. Great to travel with especially since some motels offer Kurig machines & K-Cups in the lobby or breakfast area.
View Quote

I've got a real French press...the keurig is for a quick cup of decent coffee on the run.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The thing about the K-cups is they have a huge profit margin compared to coffee sold by the can.  On top of that, the green mountain brand uses less coffee per k-cup than most if not all of the competition, plus a shitty filter.  Keurig is overplaying their hand with the 2.0 BS, and I think it's going to drive away more business than it saves them.  Their competition isn't exactly giving up either.  On the Melitta coffee website, on the page for their cups it says:

*Will not fit in Keurig® 2.0 brewing system...yet.

Ain't capitalism great?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, new to me as well. FKCM......

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a good coffee maker with a thermal carafe instead of a burner.

My cheap-ass Mr Coffee thermal carafe keeps coffee hot for just about 8 hours, after that a quick nuke in the microwave brings it back without the snagnasty burnt coffee flavor of the burner style coffee makers.

Single cup coffee makers are a fad that should die a pedophile's death.

That's the only thing I can think of that's as unnatural as drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning.

Just sayin.

Plus, they're "open source" so they can't keep you from making whatever the hell you want with them, tea, coffee, smelly coffee, hot coolaid, whatever blows your dress up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get a good coffee maker with a thermal carafe instead of a burner.

My cheap-ass Mr Coffee thermal carafe keeps coffee hot for just about 8 hours, after that a quick nuke in the microwave brings it back without the snagnasty burnt coffee flavor of the burner style coffee makers.

Single cup coffee makers are a fad that should die a pedophile's death.

That's the only thing I can think of that's as unnatural as drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning.

Just sayin.

Plus, they're "open source" so they can't keep you from making whatever the hell you want with them, tea, coffee, smelly coffee, hot coolaid, whatever blows your dress up.
View Quote

I just love the easy cleanup/one cup capability of the k-cups.  I like to be able to brew a cup on the way out the door, with virtually zero cleanup.  I use a French press when I'm going to have much more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
DRM on a coffee maker?  Insane.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
DRM on a coffee maker?  Insane.
View Quote

That's what I said.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
DRM on a fucking coffee maker. Now I've seen everything. Well, almost everything.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#26]
For 1-2 cups a day we drink the wife and I just use this single serve gravity coffee maker. Works great, doesn't take up much space, and there's no electronics. Oh and it's $5.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414689207&sr=8-1&keywords=coffee+dripper

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DRM on a fucking coffee maker. Now I've seen everything. Well, almost everything.

View Quote

Crazy isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't want to mess with that.  Fuck Keurig for this bullshit, I won't buy shit from them again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several other manufacturers make kcup coffee makers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

My french press coffee is hard on my stomach,  not an uncommon problem.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I predict that within ten years, they'll either do away with this, go into bankruptcy, or be sold to a rival for pennies on the dollar.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was asking, what are some good ones?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#32]
THEIR PRODUCT THEIR RULES
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They have the right to do it, I have the right to not purchase from them...it all works out in the end.  Look at the reviews on Amazon.  I'm guessing they won't stick with it for too long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I just did this.  They're getting destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I predict that within ten years, they'll either do away with this, go into bankruptcy, or be sold to a rival for pennies on the dollar.
View Quote

It won't take 10 years, especially if rival coffee companies are already working on defeating the tech.  The Amazon reviews are scathing, and lots of people get their info from there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want one with more bells and whistles I have the Cuisineart one, have had it for about 2-3 years and its still going strong. Can make several different cup sizes and has large water reservoir. I think it lists for $180 or so but found mine online for either $139 or $149. Bunn makes a simple one thats alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I have this one.  I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know right? i mean we have thousands of coffee makers sitting lonely in thrift stores across america waiting to make you a brew for less than $5 each but instead the yuppie-tards have bought into the retardia that is Keurig.

whats next? helicoptering your kids instead of actually parenting them?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgKX2aZCmE&list=PLQQLUnJdGAt8tiiBuj8vnF9umpbBBqsnU

Note the FEMA camp WROL crap is SARCASM.

all kinda of coffee stuff on his channel. Apprently he also used to own a bunch of Coffee shops and recently became free from his non compete,
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#39]
They still sell the original brewers.  They are listed on their website.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I know right? i mean we have thousands of coffee makers sitting lonely in thrift stores across america waiting to make you a brew for less than $5 each but instead the yuppie-tards have bought into the retardia that is Keurig.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy your thrift store coffee maker, have fun with it.  I prefer an easy to use one cup machine...call me a "yuppie-tard" if that makes you feel better about your choices.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They still sell the original brewers.  They are listed on their website.
View Quote

Girl said they discontinued them...I wonder if they're still supported?  I'm going to call back, maybe I'll get a different person.  Will post back with results.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
THEIR PRODUCT THEIR RULES
View Quote

Yep, and its his right to be unhappy with those rules and take his money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Are there other brand machines that can use actual K-cups?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#45]
y'all should try an electric bodum santos vacume 2 cup maker

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of em,  and the one I posted has a basket filter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Buy your thrift store coffee maker, have fun with it.  I prefer an easy to use one cup machine...call me a "yuppie-tard" if that makes you feel better about your choices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you put the filer paper in it, scoop some grounds into it, close it, and fill it with water. yeah thats real complicated.

i had coffee yesterday from an "old style" brewer. it was great.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soooooo... All the DRM is doing is encouraging people to buy from their competition...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Got off the phone with them again, they have one brewer left that's non-drm.  They have discontinued all others.  I told they guy they were getting hammered over the reviews, he just laughed and said "I know, I take calls 8 hours a day about it."
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Soooooo... All the DRM is doing is encouraging people to buy from their competition...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top