Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2014 9:12:06 PM EDT
Two and a half years ago, Mitch McConnell said that if they took the Senate and had a 51 majority, they could wipe out Obamacare because it had been ruled a Tax.

Now that it looks like the Republicans are going to win big this November, he is stating that he needs at least 60 votes to put some of the most unpleasant aspects of Obamacare on the Presidents desk....like the Medical device tax. He also recently stated on Cavuto, that we are unlikely to even get 60, so even that is unlikely.

Classic bait and switch.

I will be voting Republican, but they are making it harder and harder every election.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You no comprehende what a filibuster or a veto is?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Two and a half years ago, Mitch McConnell said that if they took the Senate and had a 51 majority, they could wipe out Obamacare because it had been ruled a Tax.

Now that it looks like the Republicans are going to win big this November, he is stating that he needs at least 60 votes to put some of the most unpleasant aspects of Obamacare on the Presidents desk....like the Medical device tax. He also recently stated on Cavuto, that we are unlikely to even get 60, so even that is unlikely.

Classic bait and switch.

I will be voting Republican, but they are making it harder and harder every election.
View Quote

Of course the Republicans are going to screw us. At least half as much, maybe 75% of what the Democrats do.

But I fail to see how simply stating likely statistics and facts is "screwing us".
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The republicans and democrats are 2 wings of the same chicken . The differences any more are subtle enough there is overlap .
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the Libertarians fault.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Me thinks OP doesn't even understand basic Senate rules and procedures and is simply spouting off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume you're joking, but even if the Republicans controlled 70% of the House and Senate along with the Presidency they still would not actually DO anything regarding Obamacare.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Classic bait and switch.

View Quote

If the SOB was serious about doing away with Obamacare all the Republicans have to do is change the Senate rules to do away with cloture, like the Democrats did with the judiciary appointees.  They don't have the guts to do it.  I am not sure any Republican would do away with Obamacare if they had the opportunity.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems to me Mr. Mcconnel is just speaking the truth.

If republicans take the senate, they can bet that every move they attempt to make will be filibustered to high hell.

If the democrats lose they will not shape up, they will get worse.

Leaving them in power, though, is an even worse future.
View Quote

All they have to do is defund Obamacare.  You can't implement it or enforce it if you don't pay anybody to administer it.

The Democrats defunded the war in Vietnam.  The Republicans could defund Obamacare if they wanted to do it.  They could do it now in the House if they had the guts, which they don't.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Classic bait and switch.

View Quote

You're right.  Vote democrat.  That'll show 'em...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't make Obama sign the elimination of the whole Law.

But a piece at a time, tied to other things, perhaps.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I assume you're joking, but even if the Republicans controlled 70% of the House and Senate along with the Presidency they still would not actually DO anything regarding Obamacare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that since such a huge victory would give the R's the political go ahead to do just that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If republicans take the senate, they can bet that every move they attempt to make will be filibustered to high hell.

View Quote

Its not Democrat filibusters that are the issue - Dingy Harry gutted the filibuster rules and the Republicans need to make them suffer over that.

Its the Presidential vetoes that they need the votes to overcome.

Our historic President, Barack Hussain Obama, will diligently veto any effort to reverse this essential element of His Legacy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Some jackass thought electing CEO's and "Business" folks to political office...

would somehow mean more Constitutional freedom...

Waggle enough money at most any GOP chump and they'll goose step behind any stupid idea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Unlikely to reach 60?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its not Democrat filibusters that are the issue - Dingy Harry gutted the filibuster rules and the Republicans need to make them suffer over that.

Our historic President, Barack Hussain Obama, will diligently veto any effort to reverse this essential element of His Legacy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The President can't spend money for Obamacare  that is not allocated by Congress.  

Congress can pass the law to do away with Obamacare and the President can veto it and then the Congress can defund the program.  Eazy Peazy.  The Republicans just don't have the guts to do it.  At the end of they day they are a party of big government.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We haven't had a budget in a disturbing amount of time.

The federal government has been running on spending authorizations. With more house seats and control of the senate there might be a lot more room to maneuver on various bits related to Obamacare funding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All they have to do is defund Obamacare.  You can't implement it or enforce it if you don't pay anybody to administer it.

The Democrats defunded the war in Vietnam.  The Republicans could defund Obamacare if they wanted to do it.  They could do it now in the House if they had the guts, which they don't.

The federal government has been running on spending authorizations. With more house seats and control of the senate there might be a lot more room to maneuver on various bits related to Obamacare funding.

Whether it is a budget or spending authorization Congress still controls the funding of the government.  The President spends money but Congress has to give it to him.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#21]
On Thursday November 21, 2013, Harry Reid eliminated the 60 vote super-majority rule in the Senate. All the Republicans need is 51 votes to pass any legislation short of an amendment to the Constitution.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the SOB was serious about doing away with Obamacare all the Republicans have to do is change the Senate rules to do away with cloture, like the Democrats did with the judiciary appointees.  They don't have the guts to do it.  I am not sure any Republican would do away with Obamacare if they had the opportunity.  

View Quote

You realize that if the pre-2006 Republican Senate had followed your suggestion, we would have a whole lot of new gun control in 2013.  Several of those amendments passed by more than 50 votes.  The Republicans are not going to have the Senate majority forever.  Any changes made to cloture will come back to bite us in the ass - just like the Dem changes on nominations are going to bite them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am curious to see how a Republican House and Senate will handle the budget situation.  You are right, the Senate has not voted on a budget in several years, the Democrats didn't want to even though the law requires it.

I hope the Senate Republicans will actually debate the budget and have a vote, but it is possible they will follow current practice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Øbamacare must be kept around to educate people on just how stupid libs are.  It's been leaked that the "subsidies" are going to be much less next year.  Even more people with end up paying too much for shitty insurance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On Thursday November 21, 2013, Harry Reid eliminated the 60 vote super-majority rule in the Senate. All the Republicans need is 51 votes to pass any legislation short of an amendment to the Constitution.
View Quote

No, that is only in regard to nominations subject to Senate approval, not legislation. There were upwards of 150 cloture motions in the last session.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#26]
... I will be voting Republican too
No necessarily happy about it, butt FUCK Democrats and their agenda for American
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Me thinks OP doesn't even understand basic Senate rules and procedures and is simply spouting off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Going to?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The President can't spend money for Obamacare  that is not allocated by Congress.  

Congress can pass the law to do away with Obamacare and the President can veto it and then the Congress can defund the program.  Eazy Peazy.  The Republicans just don't have the guts to do it.  At the end of they day they are a party of big government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

There is nothing stopping them from defunding the bullshit right now. Nothing.

The notion that the GOP is somehow opposed to the abuse of power and massive control over the masses that the ACA affords, is laughable, and only a fucking idiot buys into it.
No politician of any stripe, yearns for less power.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Mitch McConnell > Bitch Allison Grimes
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
The upper echelon RINOs want big government just as much as any liberal dem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The republicans and democrats are 2 wings of the same chicken . The differences any more are subtle enough there is overlap .
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes of course, that is why every R in congress voted for Obamacare.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Just a hunch but I don't think the GOP is going to get a veto-proof majority next week.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make him veto everything.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only takes 51 votes on a budget bill...and that is exactly how 0bamacare was passed as well.

ETA: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/259468/51-votes-obamacare-repeal-daniel-foster
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For people who did not follow that vote to the best of my recollection not a single Republican voted for Obamacare.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

How can people be stupid enough to still think this bullshit after the past 6 years?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But what about the revenue portions enforced by IRS? IRS will never be defunded.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

For people who did not follow that vote to the best of my recollection not a single Republican voted for Obamacare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#42]
And the alternative is....what??
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't the dems get rid of the fillabuster rule to pass Ocare?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Classic bait and switch.

View Quote

Bro, 2.5 years ago ...he meant if Romney won and they won the senate they could have repealed with 51 because the bill was passed under reconciliation as a tax bill
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I been saying for months now that McConnell was a sorry fuck not worthy of our money or votes ...but ohhhh noooo...I will say it again...ifuyou think ANYTHING is going to change if the GOP wins next Tuesday you are sadly mistaken...as far as I am concerned he's no better than John Murtha, Harry Reid or Pelosi...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

He better hope he beats that cunt Grimes...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
That was my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was my point.
Well I'm sold!  I guess since the republicans didn't vote for it, then I'm sure they'll pull out all the stops to repeal it and return us to a constitutional conservative federal government once we vote them into power!  My mistake thanks for fixing my thinking!  

I bet they'll even secure the border and deport the 11 million illegals too!

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Common Cause has a lawsuit before the Supreme Court about filibustering .

http://www.commoncause.org/issues/more-democracy-reforms/filibuster/
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#50]
sorry guys.

there ain't no going back.

there never was.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top