Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2014 5:31:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That's nice dear, can you put that over there by the flower vase......
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting read.  He paints a dismal picture.  

But after working with a bunch of county workers for eight hours today, I could see it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has the same attitude after working with state employees for 8 hours at a time.  

I wonder if Extorris knows him?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
dis gonna be gud
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck him.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I agreed with him up until he brought up ferguson MO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
wow

I recall there was a thread here recently about why citizens dont love the police - this is as succint as anything.

But when you are dealing every day with civilians walking the streets, and you bring in armored vehicles and automatic weapons, it’s all out of proportion. It makes you feel like you’re dealing with some kind of subversive enemy. The automatic weapons and bulletproof vest may protect the officer, but they also insulate him from the very society he’s sworn to protect. All that firepower and armor puts an even greater wall between the police and society, and solidifies that “us-versus-them” feeling.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160.html#ixzz3HZf6S8n4
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck him.
View Quote

Would you care to expound on this?  I'm honestly curious....
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wonder if Extorris knows him?
View Quote

I wonder what is screen name is on "NYPD Rant"?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
always admired Frank Serpico.....imo at least he tried
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Fuck him.
View Quote

Why?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen the movie many times and read the book several times and have to give the guy a lot of credit for staying the course through all he had to endure, and endured alone. That said, this article reveals some peculiar sentiments.

From the article:
It wasn’t any surprise to me that, after Michael Brown was shot dead in Ferguson, officers instinctively lined up behind Darren Wilson, the cop who allegedly killed Brown. Officer Wilson may well have had cause to fire if Brown was attacking him, as some reports suggest, but it is also possible we will never know the full truth—whether, for example, it was really necessary for Wilson to shoot Brown at least six times, killing rather than just wounding him.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160_Page2.html#ixzz3HZiyVD46
View Quote

Wut?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck him.
View Quote

Did he steal your cookie?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, but kept reading.  He did not come across as partisan.  Seems to be disappointed in both parties lack of care for corruption in LE.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wow

I recall there was a thread here recently about why citizens dont love the police - this is as succint as anything.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
wow

But when you are dealing every day with civilians walking the streets, and you bring in armored vehicles and automatic weapons, it’s all out of proportion. It makes you feel like you’re dealing with some kind of subversive enemy. The automatic weapons and bulletproof vest may protect the officer, but they also insulate him from the very society he’s sworn to protect. All that firepower and armor puts an even greater wall between the police and society, and solidifies that “us-versus-them” feeling.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160.html#ixzz3HZf6S8n4

Read on.  He's a product of his time, and I don't have to agree with everything he says to admit that he might have valid points.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked for the State of Florida for 24 years.  Trying to find any administrator at any level who is willing to fight corruption within the system is difficult.  They are rare and don't last long.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
This is my surprised face.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have a link to said NYPD Rant?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think this is it, left cold on purpose: http://theerant.yuku.com/

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]
cheese eating rat
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've seen the movie many times and read the book several times and have to give the guy a lot of credit for staying the course through all he had to endure, and endured alone. That said, this article reveals some peculiar sentiments.

From the article:

Wut?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the article:
It wasn’t any surprise to me that, after Michael Brown was shot dead in Ferguson, officers instinctively lined up behind Darren Wilson, the cop who allegedly killed Brown. Officer Wilson may well have had cause to fire if Brown was attacking him, as some reports suggest, but it is also possible we will never know the full truth—whether, for example, it was really necessary for Wilson to shoot Brown at least six times, killing rather than just wounding him.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160_Page2.html#ixzz3HZiyVD46

Wut?

There was a generation that thought you should shoot to wound, not kill.  Or stop the threat.  Whatever.

BTW Extorris is Serpico.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Graft, corruption, and nepotism are rampent in any government institution large and small. And I see the police apologists have arrived right on time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#24]
IBTL, just putting it out there..
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck him.
View Quote

My My - a relation of yours perhaps?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Thin blue line bro

Cops ARE out of control. The abuse of power is running rampant and the majority of the "good ones" are just as bad because they keep quiet about it. The "us v them" is attitude becoming more and more prevalent and with the increased militarization of LEOs it's a recipe for disaster. Videos are posted DAILY of police gunning down citizens and bystanders. Sure there are some honorable men who wear the uniform, but there is an increasing number of shitbags with badges. IMO the power needs to be directed back to a more accountable place via empowering local sheriff's offices(an elected position).

I say this as someone who has worked in law enforcement and has seen the corruption first hand.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
That was an interesting read and I agree with most of it.  A few of his comments are a little odd and I don't agree with them but overall he seems to be putting into words that thoughts I've had on this subject for a while.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#28]
He thinks current police don't need body armor.......

Yeah, OK
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
And with all due respect to today’s police officers doing their jobs, they don’t need all that stuff anyway. When I was cop I disarmed a man with three guns who had just killed someone. I was off duty and all I had was my snub-nose Smith & Wesson. I fired a warning shot, the guy ran off and I chased him down.
View Quote

He's a legend in his own mind.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you bring up Ferguson in the context of "the police are out of control," you are opening up the wrong door.

The police may be out of control.  Don't associate Ferguson with that idea.  At least not yet.  Let's see how it turns out.

Sad for Serpico that he had to go there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I read until this clueless statement:

"Officer Wilson may well have had cause to fire if Brown was attacking him, as some reports suggest, but it is also possible we will never know the full truth—whether, for example, it was really necessary for Wilson to shoot Brown at least six times, killing rather than just wounding him."
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]
He has balls and followed the true code of the badge. Not easy to do with so many on the take.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
BTW Extorris is Serpico.
View Quote

No thanks, I'd rather not be shot in the face.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

From the article:

Wut?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the article:

Wut?

Apparently being wounded in a shootout in 1971 does not make you an expert today in ballistics, the dynamics of a gunfight with a 280 pound man on a drug cocktail, and the effectiveness of a handgun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys will love the posts there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#36]
IBT eventual L
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#37]
What gun did he use in Heat?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He has balls and followed the true code of the badge. Not easy to do with so many on the take.
View Quote

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. Alot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.

The guys he busted? Guys who took packets of dope to pay off junkie informers because NYPD gave them $24 a week for snitch money. Guys who stole money from drug dealers. There never was a single cop he busted that was getting mega payoffs from dealers unless you take the movie with Pacino as a documentary.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Eh, some I agree with some I don't.

Serpico is not a god, just a guy who did the job and has an opinion.

I respect him for his service and what he tried to do, but he doesn't know everything and isn't all seeing and wise.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought he'd be taller.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. Alot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.

The guys he busted? Guys who took packets of dope to pay off junkie informers because NYPD gave them $24 a week for snitch money. Guys who stole money from drug dealers. There never was a single cop he busted that was getting mega payoffs from dealers unless you take the movie with Pacino as a documentary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

So how do I know you tell the truth and other not ?

May I just ask you were you get these information from ? im honestly curious
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thin blue line bro

Cops ARE out of control. The abuse of power is running rampant and the majority of the "good ones" are just as bad because they keep quiet about it. The "us v them" is attitude becoming more and more prevalent and with the increased militarization of LEOs it's a recipe for disaster. Videos are posted DAILY of police gunning down citizens and bystanders. Sure there are some honorable men who wear the uniform, but there is an increasing number of shitbags with badges. IMO the power needs to be directed back to a more accountable place via empowering local sheriff's offices(an elected position).

I say this as someone who has worked in law enforcement and has seen the corruption first hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Thin blue line bro

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Yeah. If you're from the ghetto "snitches get stitches" is thug mentality. If you're a cop it's honorable behavior, you cop haters.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I was a baller...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yeah. If you're from the ghetto "snitches get stitches" is thug mentality. If you're a cop it's honorable behavior, you cop haters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

It's not just a Ghetto Thing... many a Child from my Generation was told by Adults "Don't be a Tattletale".......

Many got Punished for Running to Mommy or Daddy over some little Crap.... Right along with the one they Tattled on....

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

From 3 cops I knew at three different times. Two were members of the NY Stakeout Unit, one of which was in the academy with Serpico. The other was partners with one of Serpico's partners. I was young at the time and had seen the movie and remembered the TV series as a kid, I thought like many people that he was a hero and asked Jim and Dave because they served at the same time, then found out that Dave was in the academy with him.

His partner's partner put it best when he said that Serpico always played the victim card, that he didn't want to rat, but he couldn't stand what was around him. Well, he volunteered to go to narcotics. Good cops had a code back then and would tell their partners, "I don't take money or shakedown motorists" . If the other cop was dirty he'd find a new partner.

He put himself in those situations because he wanted to be the whistleblower. The cop Pacino played was simply not the reality.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I wish I was a baller...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I was a baller...

I wish I had a girl like your avatar, I would call her...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I was a baller...

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a six four Impala.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top