Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:57 PM EDT
http://www.13newsnow.com/story/life/2014/10/24/83-year-old-gets-unique-two-day-sentence-in-fatal-crash/17829629/

Two days, to be served on the next two anniversaries of the motorcyclists death. Along with two years probation, loss of drivers license for those two years, 100 hours community service, and must write a letter of apology.

Edit: From an older article, headed south, he turned left at an unprotected green light in front of the motorcyclist traveling north.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That's it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What a load of bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Has to serve two days in jail on the anniversary of the passing of the victim?  That is a strange sentence.  Is something like that normal?

I have heard of sentences that are served only on weekends, but nothing like that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda odd that he got any criminal charges over a regular traffic accident
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
2 days??? geez how will he survive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has to serve two days in jail on the anniversary of the passing of the victim?  That is a strange sentence.  Is something like that normal?

I have heard of sentences that are served only on weekends, but nothing like that.
View Quote

Jail time over a traffic offense isn't normal at all I would think. Gonna guess that all the upset folks are bikers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Failure to yield resulting in the death of another motorist.

Is this sort of thing normally not charged?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not, minus any aggravating factors.   It's a death resulting from a traffic accident and the driver certainly faces civil liability but not criminal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.
View Quote

How many people die in traffic accidents each year?   You think the courts are trying them all as manslaughter cases?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
If it was an accident involving two cars it might not have been more than a fender bender, followed by a ticket for the old guy.

Why does the same offense become so much more offensive when it involves a much more dangerous vehicle (motorcycle)?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You charge everyone with criminal assault when they hit your car? Vandalism? Destruction of private property?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because the "education" system of today doesn't teach kids anything about how the world works, let alone anything else useful.  "Susie has two mommies" only prepares them to be agendized, not to actually know anything useful.  ::shrug::
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it was an accident involving two cars it might not have been more than a fender bender, followed by a ticket for the old guy.

Why does the same offense become so much more offensive when it involves a much more dangerous vehicle (motorcycle)?

Because the "education" system of today doesn't teach kids anything about how the world works, let alone anything else useful.  "Susie has two mommies" only prepares them to be agendized, not to actually know anything useful.  ::shrug::

Sadly, this is accurate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
The light was green?      Why did the motorcyclist hit him?    What were their respective speeds?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe making negligence subject to increased punishment will make people less negligent.  It seems to have worked for DUIs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No kidding.  Criminal charges should be reserved for criminal acts.  

Sad as it is, motorcyclists need to realize they are small and tend to be overlooked in the landscape.  Ride at extreme risk only.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Sad as it is, motorcyclists need to realize they are small and tend to be overlooked in the landscape.  Ride at extreme risk only.  

Sounds like you're making excuses for motorists who are not vigilant or responsible enough to pay attention and see a motorcyclist. Just saying.

ETA: Old dude facing charges is though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The light was green?      Why did the motorcyclist hit him?    What were their respective speeds?
View Quote

They both had greens. The elderly mans was an unprotected green for turning, IE yield to oncoming traffic, he didn't.

No report on speeds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What is there to be gained by criminal action against the old guy?  Accidents happen when we interact with one another in ways which involve physics.  He made it 83 years without engaging in criminal conduct, and this was likely a <common occurrence> oversight.  Drive accordingly, and if you are smart, avoid riding motorcycles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is there to be gained by criminal action against the old guy?  Accidents happen when we interact with one another in ways which involve physics.  He made it 83 years without engaging in criminal conduct, and this was likely a <common occurrence> oversight.  Drive accordingly, and if you are smart, avoid riding motorcycles.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Huh this is local to me and I am fairly plugged into the "motorcycle culture" , this is the first i have heard of it
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sounds like you're making excuses for motorists who are not vigilant or responsible enough to pay attention and see a motorcyclist. Just saying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

The motorcycle had right of way for sure, but the chance of death in an auto accident goes up like a rocket when you chose to ride a motorcycle.   People will do incorrect things in traffic.  Riding free of the confines of us "cagers" means accepting the much higher threat of serious injury in an accident.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#29]
If the old man had shitty eye sight (not a legal term) then perhaps he should have known the risk his driving was causing. Vehicular negligent homicide around here.

Edit: The above further assumes the old man pulled directly into the path of the suicycle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area it is going to be a simple ticket.

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

Why is my punishment different, if my offense was the same?

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
If your negligence on the road causes the death of another why the hell shouldn't you be held responsible? Whether it was another car, motorcycle, or pedestrian.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#32]
100 hours of community service for a 83 year old ??? What are you going to have him do ? Volunteer at the nursing home pushing old ladies in wheelchairs ? (if he is not in a wheelchair himself)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

!00 hours of community service for a 83 year old ??? What are you going to have him do ? Volunteer at the nursing home pushing old ladies in wheelchairs ?
View Quote
I believe it was mentioned in a different article he would be volunteering for the local humane society.

So pet some cats, walk some dogs, pick up some poop.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#34]
The judge doesn't like motorcycles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Unless he did it on purpose or otherwise had some sort of malicious intent, I'm actually surprised there were criminal charges. It was an accident.

And I say this as a motorcyclist. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unless he did it on purpose or otherwise had some sort of malicious intent, I'm actually surprised there were criminal charges. It was an accident.

And I say this as a motorcyclist. Shit happens.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Key word here is ACCIDENT. I'm sure the man will punish himself mentally more than a court ever could. I know I would.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a baseball player hits a foul ball which hits some guy in the head, who later dies, you're saying he needs to be charged with manslaughter or whatever? There's more to the world than outcomes, accidents happen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#40]
If you negligently shoot someone, charges are entirely possible.

I don't see why negligently causing a death with a car should be different.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#42]
38 replies and nobody has called the old man a cager. All the resident squids must still be sleeping.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Key word here is ACCIDENT. I'm sure the man will punish himself mentally more than a court ever could. I know I would.
View Quote

I'll use the firearm analogy here, too.

It was a negligent accident (assuming the bike was doing the speed limit).

Why would one negligence (improper operation of a car) be OK and another negligence (shooting of another person, unintentionally) be a crime under some circumstances?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
As a rider, It isnt even shocking anymore.  All someone has to do, specially if they are old, is use the "i didnt even see them" and/or "they were going so fast" and at worse they get a citation for failure to yield.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Fucking cager!!!.....................what do Navy guys have to do with this?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Two days to a 83 year old is like 6 months to a 26 year old...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I've ridden motorcycles for the past 42yrs, both personal and on duty.

Traffic wrecks are not criminal acts unless recklessness/under the influence/commission of another crime is proven.

Simple poor driving skills are not crimes, we don't have enough jails for that.

Don't know the facts of this case but it seems unusual he got convicted of a crime.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you negligently shoot someone, charges are entirely possible.

I don't see why negligently causing a death with a car should be different.
View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So a baseball player hits a foul ball which hits some guy in the head, who later dies, you're saying he needs to be charged with manslaughter or whatever? There's more to the world than outcomes, accidents happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is hitting a baseball a violation in of itself? If it is, then yes.

Failing to yield a vehicle is a violation whether it results in an accident or not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not where I'm from unless drugs or alcohol were involved.  That's why they are called "accidents".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top