Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/23/2014 10:10:11 PM EDT
My wife wants to open carry while she goes on walks around the neighborhood and by the river and mountain in front of our area with our son. I am super happy she want to carry now. But I am not sure how I feel about everyone in town seeing her with a gun. We have always been low profile and am not sure I want people knowing we have guns. How does everyone feel about this? She is worried about mountain Lions and coyotes. Even though there has not been any sightings around here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Open carry is not going to dissuade wildlife.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
As another member on here said recently.....

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHERE ARE THE DAMN PICTURES?!?!?!

DON'T YOU KNOW THE RULES?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Never knew a mountain lion to be scared of open carry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I know they are made up rules by the leg humpers in their moms basements.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
My mother once open-carried a rifle around on her shoulder b/c of a crazy guy who was our neighbor then.  He later offed himself...  So I guess she was right.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
if she wants to go out armed and ready to take care of herself should the need arise, more power to her... oh and where exactly are the pics????
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

She wants to shoot it if it looks Aggressive. She wanted to carry her 22. But I think I talked her into at least a 9mm now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I see no issue. When I moved into my new apartment, the neighbors knew right away I had at least one gun, the Glock on my hip.

I don't really care about printing, or concealment, unless I'm at work, all bets are off, and frankly, OWB carry is more comfortable, but less concealable. If that means I'm OC'ing in the summer while walking the dogs, wearing the same set up in cooler weather that conceals under a jacket, oh well.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
if she's going to carry for her protection then she should carry. Open, concealed, it doesn't matter. It's about her defense.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the problem again?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your point?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She wants to shoot it if it looks Aggressive. She wanted to carry her 22. But I think I talked her into at least a 9mm now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might want to check laws about shooting wildlife. Just shooting because it "looks aggressive" probably won't fly in many areas. By that logic, I can shoot any stray dog I see with no collar, and claim it was acting aggressively, even if it was just walking on the other side of the street.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is serious 22 prbly ain't stopping a charging mountain lion. That said, to land a shot on a mountain lion once it decides it wants you will be a tough job... More power to her if she wants to OC but she's prbly more likely to have to use it against a 2 legged predator than a mountain lion
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

blasphemy ban him!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not sure I want to deal with neighborhood drama that might come of this. We do live in an HOA area so they might get all butt hurt if enough people complain.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife Pic fail.

HOA?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't really matter if she can't shoot it decently and isn't well practiced with safe draws and operating the gun.  Get her a decent range/OC holster and get her to practice with a goal.  She's ready to OC when she can get a 7 yard A-zone hit from the holster in less than 3 seconds for instance or 5 rounds in less than 5 seconds from the holster.

Maybe have her try IDPA or USPSA to get comfortable drawing and shooting under a little pressure.

I agree 9mm beats .22 all day every day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Might want to check laws about shooting wildlife. Just shooting because it "looks aggressive" probably won't fly in many areas. By that logic, I can shoot any stray dog I see with no collar, and claim it was acting aggressively, even if it was just walking on the other side of the street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Works for cops. Except they don't even have to be stray, they just come on your property and shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you post a picture of her with snow boots on?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Nobody would care around here.

If you live in an area with mountain lions, I bet they wouldn't care there either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nobody would care around here.

If you live in an area with mountain lions, I bet they wouldn't care there either.
View Quote

its hit and miss around here....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wife wants to open carry while she goes on walks around the neighborhood and by the river and mountain in front of our area with our son. I am super happy she want to carry now. But I am not sure how I feel about everyone in town seeing her with a gun. We have always been low profile and am not sure I want people knowing we have guns. How does everyone feel about this? She is worried about mountain Lions and coyotes. Even though there has not been any sightings around here.
View Quote

No flame intended at all, but concealed, for civilians, is almost always better unless you are not likely to encounter anyone (out in the bush, etc).  And I say this as someone who lives in a state that doesn't infringe on open carry.  We don't need a permit for open carry here in NH.  I think the element of surprise is very important and why I recommend concealed carry.  The other exception is where someone is in uniform and there is no element of surprise.  

Surprise---->Speed---->Violence of Action
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
hey its just awesome she understands dangers and wants to carry,open/concealed doesnt matter
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am not sure I want to deal with neighborhood drama that might come of this. We do live in an HOA area so they might get all butt hurt if enough people complain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have wild animals in a neighborhood that has a HOA? You might want to notify them.

Seriously if your neighborhood is rural enough to have wild animals in it. Then it seems like the HOA wouldn't care.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd let her.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You have wild animals in a neighborhood that has a HOA? You might want to notify them.

Seriously if your neighborhood is rural enough to have wild animals in it. Then it seems like the HOA wouldn't care.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no not in the neighborhood. She walks though it to go out to the trails and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#28]
What is her skill level?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#29]
If she wants to carry go cc. Open carry is effing retarded.

I was in a crowd with an open carry idiot a few weeks ago. I was behind him and could have taken his weapon without trying. What if it wasnt me and it was some methed out cock fag work nothing to lose. He thought he was cool though.

Opsec is king.

May as well hang a huge ass sign off your neck saying im a fucking target. Come take my gun. Never give a threat that king of advantage.

Don't let your wife do that to herself. Be a hard target. Surprise is a great weapon.

If she wants to open carry, go long gun. Make a real statement. Not trying to be rude, just make sure she really grasps the potential gravity of choices.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Open carry is a statement.

Is she wanting to make some point?

It can also make her a target.

Someone thinking she is prey will simply know that she is armed.  She still might be prey but now they know she is armed.

What sort of holster would be used?  It is awfully interesting to try taking a gun from someone when sparring.  Even a cruddy retention system works better than a cruddy regular holster that relies on friction.  A snap is not hard to undo and a search will turn up all sorts of retention systems out there.

Pull up the article of the guy who was open carrying and someone took his firearm from him at gunpoint.

I open carry when on my property.  It makes a statement.  It solves all the little druggies and stuff that want to come around asking for this or that or trying to act like they are not casing the place while casing the place.

It also lets them know there are guns here.  so when I am away perhaps they will break in looking for firearms.

One thing about open carry, I highly recomend having a new york reload on you.

Dude who was relieved of his firearm may not have been able to retrieve it if he had a 2nd firearm on him.  That becomes a judgement call.

There are several threads on this site and some other sites about real life experiences people have been through.

One fella got robbed while in his storage unit.

One fella got mugged.

More than a few had people follow them and it turned into nothing that wound up in court.

Several did wind up in court.

We have had some home invasion threads where someone posted their experience of the home invasion.

See what the reason for open carry is going to be.

See if she comprehends the whole picture.

I am not trying to sound like I understand the whole picture, more than a few folks have said I should not open carry around the property.

But having everyone stop by asking if the mower or truck or x is for sale drives me up the wall.  Just because something needs repaired does not mean it is for sale.

Open carrying solved a lot of that.

But it does let people also know that there are guns here.

And I can't always be home.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What is her skill level?
View Quote

Where I am not comfortable with her carrying at all. I always try to take her to the range with me But she does not seem to want to go. She can shoot and hit the targets but her manipulation and loading and drawing is lacking a lot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#32]
In that situation open carry is fine. Makes for quicker access to the gun if needed.
If it is legal to open carry where you live then fuck the whiners. She has a legitimate need to do so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Where I am not comfortable with her carrying at all. I always try to take her to the range with me But she does not seem to want to go. She can shoot and hit the targets but her manipulation and loading and drawing is lacking a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is her skill level?

Hmmm, that changes the equation a bit.

I'm totally fine with open carry but that doesn't sound good.

Perhaps CCW?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Let's see.  Your wife wants to provide a measure of self protection by carrying a firearm in a lawful manner.  You're against it, or not sure.  Please buy her a membership here and close yours.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

But I'll bet they also don't care about the tactical advantage concealed carry gives you.

Open carry on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hmmm, that changes the equation a bit.   I'm totally fine with open carry but that doesn't sound good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is her skill level?

Hmmm, that changes the equation a bit.   I'm totally fine with open carry but that doesn't sound good.

I always tell her she looks like an old person with a smart phone. Slow and untrained, but eventually gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Let's see.  Your wife wants to provide a measure of self protection by carrying a firearm in a lawful manner.  You're against it, or not sure.  Please buy her a membership here and close yours.
View Quote

No not at all. I am happy she wants to carry. I just worry about her skill level and possible neighborhood drama and people knowing we now have guns...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Pictures , The rules are older than 2012
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No flame intended at all, but concealed, for civilians, is almost always better unless you are not likely to encounter anyone (out in the bush, etc).  And I say this as someone who lives in a state that doesn't infringe on open carry.  We don't need a permit for open carry here in NH.  I think the element of surprise is very important and why I recommend concealed carry.  The other exception is where someone is in uniform and there is no element of surprise.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed, surprise and violence of action is all well and good in an offensive action and can be beneficial in a defensive one but there's more to defense than a trite little saying.

Poison arrow frogs and venomous snakes are bright pretty colors to tell everyone well in advance that they are not to be messed with.  Both are lightning quick and quite surprising but If Mom Nature thinks it a good idea to warn off trouble early, who are you to argue.

Personally I love to see a woman strapped.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is important technical information. Some women's body types make concealed carry more difficult. With picks, our female members can better assess her carry needs.

Ideally we'd like the cart to come before the horse, but the need to carry should motivate her to become more proficient. I'd encourage her to carry. I don't care what the neighbors think. There are lots of 2 legged predators out there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Can I just clarify something PLEASE?

I don't want to carry anywhere heavily populated or anything. I'm not going grocery shoping with it or anything like that. I'm going on hikes with me and my toddler and maybe friends. There HAVE been sightings of cyoties and mountain lions and rattle snakes thicker than my leg, and I know a few people who have had run-ins with said animals while hiking with their kids, or even running in semi-populated areas in town.

I would love to go practice more, and I would love for my husband to teach me. I definately need more practice, but SOMEONE is nervous about leaving the little with a babysitter.

I just don't want to get eaten is all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#42]
What state?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#43]
edit
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I came in for wife pics but OP did not deliver.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't want to carry anywhere heavily populated or anything. I'm not going grocery shoping with it or anything like that. I'm going on hikes with me and my toddler and maybe friends. There HAVE been sightings of cyoties and mountain lions and rattle snakes thicker than my leg, and I know a few people who have had run-ins with said animals while hiking with their kids, or even running in semi-populated areas in town.

I would love to go practice more, and I would love for my husband to teach me. I definately need more practice, but SOMEONE is nervous about leaving the little with a babysitter.

View Quote

For the love of god woman!!! Slap on a piece and take a walk. Open carry is good for the soul.  Good on ya.  Don't let this pack on Nancys keep you from doing what you need to do.

Um...[kicks toe in dirt].....Not trying to be out of line here,.......but there's a rule hubby ain't following.  Can you do something about that

On the serious side, you might want to think real hard about letting hubby train you.  My wife is a really smart lady and I'm a damned good trainer and we even do pretty well in the marriage department but we've got too much husband and wife stuff between us for either of us to really try teaching the other anything.  Sometimes it's ok to step out on your marriage
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Welcome to arfcom. If you feel safer carrying,  then do so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No not at all. I am happy she wants to carry. I just worry about her skill level and possible neighborhood drama and people knowing we now have guns...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy day.  Quality revolver, quality holster, quality training.  We all have to start somewhere.  What better place than under your direct supervision where you can observe her safety practices and attention to detail?  Buy her a couple good training classes for Christmas.  And screw the neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When we hike out in the desert I'll open carry. Mainly to protect the dog from rattlesnakes but also to protect us from the two legged snakes too.

Sometimes I'll even sling an AR over the shoulder ... with a 20 or 30 round magazine!!
View Quote

I thought open carry wasn't allowed in CA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top