Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 4:50:46 PM EDT
Met some dude at a bar talking about his "class 3 weapons license" and he was "thinking about getting a full auto". I was drunk and didn't feel like dealing with it.

So was that guy full of shit or what?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Class 3 FFL?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew a kid who's dad has a class 3, he has a barrett 50!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
How should we know? You were drunk so your side of the story probably isn't the best.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Class 3 or 03SOT is what dealers in firearms other than destructive devices have.

With that license and a demo letter from an LEO agency, you can purchase post ban NFA items.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Class 3 FFL?
View Quote

That would be my guess. Or he could be just trying to pick up chicks with bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Class 3 Special Occupational Tax.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Class 3 or 03SOT is what dealers in firearms other than destructive devices have.

With that license and a demo letter from an LEO agency, you can purchase post ban NFA items.
View Quote

I asked him if he was a dealer. He looked at me like this , that's when I walked off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
NFA items are transferred to individuals on Form 4's and require a $200 stamp(AOW's require a $5 stamp).  Pre 1986 machineguns are transferrable on form 4's to individuals.  Form 1's can be used to make NFA items, but ATF categorically rejects Form 1's for machineguns due to 922(o).

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Special Occupational Taxpayers (SOT) are licensed manufacturers and can make machineguns. Often times it is referred to as an 07/02 as that is the type of FFL held.

He was full of crap.
View Quote

Actually, no.
There are several types of SOTs.
03 SOT can deal in and own Post Samples, as well as suppressors and SBRs/SBSs.
07s can manufacture as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
NFA items are transferred to individuals on Form 4's and require a $200 stamp(AOW's require a $5 stamp).  Pre 1986 machineguns are transferrable on form 4's to individuals.  Form 1's can be used to make NFA items, but ATF categorically rejects Form 1's for machineguns due to 922(o).

Special Occupational Taxpayers (SOT) are licensed manufacturers and can make machineguns.  Often times it is referred to as an 07/02 as that is the type of FFL held.

He was full of crap.

View Quote

SOT's can be Class 1 - importers; Class 2 -manufacturers; or Class 3 - dealers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually, no.
There are Two types of SOTs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Special Occupational Taxpayers (SOT) are licensed manufacturers and can make machineguns. Often times it is referred to as an 07/02 as that is the type of FFL held.

He was full of crap.

Actually, no.
There are Two types of SOTs.

I thought the 07 was the type of FFL required which is distinct from the SOT. It's been awhile since I looked at it so you may be right.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
FFL Types

1. Dealer in Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices (Includes Gunsmiths)
2 Pawnbroker in Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices
3 Collector of Curios and Relics
6 Manufacturer of Ammunition for Firearms
7 Manufacturer of Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices
8 Importer of Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices
9 Dealer in Destructive Devices
10 Manufacturer of Destructive Devices
11 Importer of Destructive Devices

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just curious, can you get grenades and other explosives with a demo letter?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
No, those are all considered "destructive devices".

There is a special license for those.

I thought the 07 was the type of FFL required which is distinct from the SOT. It's been awhile since I looked at it so you may be right.
View Quote

No, you are corrcet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Demo letter isn't required.  Paying the tax and following explosives regulations is.  Reality is that no manufacture is going to sell them to an individual, but a demo letter is not required federally.

ETA: You can build your own on a form 1.  Wingnut87 has one. (I think that's his SN)

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Full of shit unless he is an FFL. Full auto stuff is individually taxed and transferred with no license needed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Fudds always use the term class 3.  They always know someone who has the ability to own full auto and they call it a class 3 license, when in reality they don't know what its called and its always some bullshit story.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Full of shit unless he is an FFL. Full auto stuff is individually taxed and transferred with no license needed.
View Quote

99.9 % of the time when you hear class 3 license he is full of shit , The other .1% he is a little low and needs to be topped off
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks doods, figured the guy was a turd. He just smelled funny. I also learned something I was too lazy too look up on my own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top