Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/23/2014 3:06:15 PM EDT
I am looking into military service and have not specifically chosen a branch yet but, have taken the ASVAB and talked to a couple recruiters.

I am curious what work (rate) have done for our country.  The ups, the downs, the things you loved, the things you hated, the things you wish you had done differently, you time after you got out.   Maybe even what you thought you were going to do vs what you actually did most of the time.

There's tons of scattered stories all of the internet of this and that, and a lot of recruiting propaganda mixed in between, so I figured it would be nice to hear your thoughts/feelings/stories strait from the source.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
no.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I joined but only because it was quicker path to citizenship.  I joined up with one of my former high school teachers in his Roughneck's platoon.  Ain't gonna lie, it wasn't easy and wasn't quite what I had expected.  The worst was losing my girl to the pretty boy flight officer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I started out as a technician on toilets and decks. Worked my way up to garbage and vacuuming. Finally got to taking care of booboos and changing diapers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I joined but only because it was quicker path to citizenship.  I joined up with one of my former high school teachers in his Roughneck's platoon.  Ain't gonna lie, it wasn't easy and wasn't quite what I had expected.  The worst was losing my girl to the pretty boy flight officer.
View Quote

I want to know more...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]

I wanted to jump out of airplanes and kill bugs

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
too much work
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
This is even better than I expected.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing to report, sir.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? That was the worst, what about getting your squad mate killed in that live fire exercise?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I wanted to be the first on my block with a confirmed kill.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Been to meps all of that. Couldnt get a waiver at the time for my eye condition. Oh, well.

Bend over and spread your cheeks OP
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really? That was the worst, what about getting your squad mate killed in that live fire exercise?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The co-ed showers made up for that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I spent a lot of time staring into space, twiddling my thumbs, and thinking about the must fucked up things while trying to stay awake.

It was fun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh boy...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
After my service I qualified high for jobs as a security guard or janitor.

You decide.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After my service I qualified high for jobs as a security guard or janitor.

You decide.
View Quote

Can't let that buffer training go to waste.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fucking Jody!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I flew cargo planes full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I flew cargo planes full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.
View Quote

Did you screw up this much? (pinches fingers together)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I slept in the dirt a lot. Got some nasty skin infections that left scars, a disk injury and hearing loss. But it got me a swell tank icon, which is ironic because I was anti-armor platoon. My icon should be an exploding tank turrent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in charge of spreading negative waves.....and drinking wine and eating cheese....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I hear if you enlist now you get a free bonus of Ebola.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Military taxi driver.  I was told where to go to pick up my fare, then delivered my fare to their destination. Calls ranged from a few minutes to a few weeks. I even trained others to experience the joys of military taxi driving.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I never joined the Military, I was in the Air Force.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Military taxi driver.  I was told where to go to pick up my fare, then delivered my fare to their destination. Calls ranged from a few minutes to a few weeks. I even trained others to experience the joys of military taxi driving.
View Quote
So you were Air Mobile Command

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I like you OP; that's why I 'm not going to tell you what I did, because if I did I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried to joing, but they wouldnt let me becasue i punched my recruiter in the face when he told me what to do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I fixed taxis for the poster above after he broke them
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Glorified garbage collector. Explosive garbage, that is.

My day:

10% Anti-suicide / don't-rape-people training and briefings
10% looking busy
4.5% janitor duties
15% working out
20% pulling pranks on co-workers
10% running back and forth between finance and my shop
30% doing other people's jobs
0.5% blowing stuff up
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#34]
You cannot volunteer for this work (I certainly did not know anything about this group, until I got orders with a strange name. I had never heard about, nor anyone who I knew, know anything about this command, even the detailler.).

This I know: You are selected after several years in the service by a strange process, which I have no "Need to Know". At AFB McDill Tampa, FL, JOINT SOC is not authorized to use these assets, nor do they fall under their command structure for your information.

There is a node at Fort Bragg, North Carolina in the Army (I often PREPOSIT for deployment from there, hopping flights out of AFB Pope), which has the classified knowledge. Another node with knowledge is at Hurlburt Field AFB in Florida (I often trained there). The concentration for the Navy is located at Little Creek Navy Amphibious Base, Norfolk, Virginia and San Diego, California (which has a sub team in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.).

The tasking is not like DELTA, Army SF, Air Force SF, its more brains for the destruction and the disruption of the Command and Control assets of an OPFOR. All the rest is pure PFM or classified... That's is all I can say on the unclassified version...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I though I'd better sign up before I got drafted...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Long sleeve PT shirts made for good cum rags.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I want to know more...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to know more...

He expects the best, and he gives the best.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I was a pretty well experienced pilot on crop dusters on the back water plains of texas, and decided to become a fighter pilot, well after maybe a day of training they send my ass to fly through some trench and shoot a missile through some small ass hole. Then after that I accidentally kissed my sister lost a hand and had some pretty bad beef with my dad. Over all it was pretty swell.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what the brown towels were for.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I hear if you enlist now you get a free bonus of Ebola.
View Quote

And in the unlikely but possible chance you survive, you also get a lifetime of trying to prove to the VA that your illness was service connected.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I spent a lot of time staring into space, twiddling my thumbs, and thinking about the must fucked up things while trying to stay awake.

It was fun.
View Quote

Sounds alot like standing watch on the bridge of an aircraft carrier at 0300. Except we would tell stinky pussy stories to break the monotony and stay awake...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too rough. I have sensitive hands.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Army, 12B. Loved the field. Hated garrison and make work projects. I lasted 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Oh boy...
View Quote

Well, you asked.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I wanted to be door gunner on a space shuttle but alas I had to settle for submarine screen door repairman.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I did it for more reward than you can possibly imagine. And looking out for myself. You might say that's what I do best.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was in charge of spreading negative waves.....and drinking wine and eating cheese....
View Quote

WOOF WOOF!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mobile infantry and fleet don't mix.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top