Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:50:46 PM EDT
Just went hot again. Got it at Walmart.

Yeah, I know you can get a better AR for less money, yada, yada, yada, I have ARs and want a Mini.

Come on Ruger, stop the 5 rd magazine bullshit and throw a 20 rounder in at least for that price.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish they would bring back the 80s side folder. I would buy one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I hope he's inside that barn when he tries to hit it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like minis
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
tongue down the bolts on the gas block identically. This will solve 90% of the accuracy problems. They leave the factory with random torque values. (Or at least they used to)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm cold on em
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
tongue down the bolts on the gas block identically. This will solve 90% of the accuracy problems. They leave the factory with random torque values. (Or at least they used to)
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Post up a range report!  I want to see how you set up a barn sized target on your range.  

j/k I kind of want a Mini-14 myself, probably a function of watching so much At-Team as a kid.  If someone offered my a gently used Mini-14 for the low end price of an AR these days, I'd fo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard of loving guns but this?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, please. Tongue down those bolts! Get back to us and share your experience afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always wanted to like mini14s. The price, mag availability/ price and accuracy crap shoot have always kept me away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The new ones made on the new machines at the factory are better accuracy wise than the older ones. The barrel is different too on the new ones than the older ones.

They will never be 'AR15' accurate
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I try to love mine...but it just can't seem to hit... well you know...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
For the price of the Mini-14, you could of bought a shit load of Black Cats and accomplished the same effect!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Forget Mini 14s.

Ruger needs to make a Mini 30 that takes AK magazines.  I mean how fucking hard would it be?

How awesome would it be?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wish they would bring back the 80s side folder. I would buy one.
View Quote

I really don't like the Militia-14, but if they brought back a retro side-folder for a decent price I'd probably buy one, just because of all of the hours of my youth spent watching the A-Team.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I've owned one, I go from luke warm (tepid) to cold on them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

spell check is the bane of my existence...

the enema of my posts...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I personally will say Mini's can still get accuracy gremlins.....but evenly tightening those gas-block screws cures 90% of the problems.

I know of four mini-14's that went from 8"+ shooters down to 2.5" by doing that.

And mine  Did shoot about 2", started shooting about 7" groups.....never could fix it.

Fun gun though  I too someday will get a new Mini-14
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know you can get a better AR for less money, yada, yada, yada, I have ARs and want a Mini.

Come on Ruger, stop the 5 rd magazine bullshit and throw a 20 rounder in at least for that price.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69645

View Quote

I bought that model and couldn't hit anything. I brought it back and got the tactical version and it has been fun to shoot and acceptable in the accuracy dept. Everyone should own at least one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Mini 14 making by greedily capitalists.  Cheaply made but much expensive  working comrade for having.  SKS carbine better for you.  Soviet SKS cheap of cost--250 Canadianski rubles.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Hipster rifle.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#25]
If I had only a shotgun and a Mini-14 to choose from for home defense, well, it'd be one of the few times I'd pick the shotgun.

You can, at least, pattern a shotgun.  You can only random a Mini-14.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#27]
another gun I've tried really hard to like.

I've owned a mini 14 and a 30, they just never impressed me. i always seemed to notice the old AR15 haters were all over them because they weren't
"that plastic piece of shit I had in 'nam"
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I kinda want one, because A-Team. There's no other reason, honestly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
They are fun but it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a "classic" look and and fun plinker, go for it. If you want a HD/SHTF rifle a good AR fills that role much better. I have one but it hasn't left the safe after I got an AR. I will probably sell it during the next gun rush, unless something happens my guess would be election time 2016.

This is from a newer, 580 series, at 50 yards with PMC .223

" />
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

They are fun but it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a "classic" look and and fun plinker, go for it. If you want a HD/SHTF rifle a good AR fills that role much better. I have one but it hasn't left the safe after I got an AR. I will probably sell it during the next gun rush, unless something happens my guess would be election time 2016.

http://<a href=http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/AKMer/Misc/IMG_20120519_191530_zps0a2942f5.jpg</a>" />
View Quote
If I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards with it, I'm good with it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I can't explain it any other way than just saying  "The Mini 14/30 just feels right" when I'm holding one. Now if ruger would stick a quality 16" chrome lined barrel on it, the mini would feel even better!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69645

View Quote

Fine little rifle. Enjoy it.

Fuck the haters.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/AKMer/Misc/IMG_20120519_191530_zps0a2942f5.jpg</a>" />

Shooting standing unsupported I have no problems hitting a 6" plate at 100yds. This is with a 183 & 184 series mini. Factory open sights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
A friend of mine is in training to be a correctional officer and was tested on the Mini-14. According to him he qualified as "expert" and the trainers (who now supposedly consist of FBI trainers) there said it was "his weapon" because of how accurate he was with it. I have a hard time believing his claim of being "a sniper" with it since he's not a gun guy in the slightest, never fired a long gun until he went to train as a CO and doesn't know what real accuracy is. Does anyone know what qualifies as "expert" at a correctional officer training facility? I figured a Mini-14 not being accurate in the first place would make a used and abused one even less so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A fun plinker would make sense if it was cheaper than an AR.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A friend of mine is in training to be a correctional officer and was tested on the Mini-14. According to him he qualified as "expert" and the trainers (who now supposedly consist of FBI trainers) there said it was "his weapon" because of how accurate he was with it. I have a hard time believing his claim of being "a sniper" with it since he's not a gun guy in the slightest, never fired a long gun until he went to train as a CO and doesn't know what real accuracy is. Does anyone know what qualifies as "expert" at a correctional officer training facility? I figured a Mini-14 not being accurate in the first place would make a used and abused one even less so.
View Quote

Probably minute of brain across the yard from the tower rail?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But their all badso GTG
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I want to like that rifle so bad it ...HHHNNNNGGGGG.

I do so wish they'd make one that wasn't a POS.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Good looking shotgun...........
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope you let us know how it shoots, i went through 2 mini's, tried the lose gas flange bolts thing along with everything else, 20 different kinds of ammo, light bullets, heavy bullets, hp's, fmj's, sp, cheap loads, spendy loads, everything i could get my hands, even handloads which shrunk the groups down to about 4 and a half inches on a good day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Still would miss.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a couple back in the day(swapped them off) I wouldn't mind another but I just cant get past the price.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Forget Mini 14s.

Ruger needs to make a Mini 30 that takes AK magazines.  I mean how fucking hard would it be?

How awesome would it be?
View Quote

^^^This times a Jillion
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Is that Chief A J 's "Red Barn"?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#45]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

^^^This times a Jillion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forget Mini 14s.

How awesome would it be?

^^^This times a Jillion

You folks can still get 7.62x39 ammo?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Tell me how much you paid, Hoss-if cheap enough might force me to go slumming at the ghetto-mart down the street-

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me how much you paid, Hoss-if cheap enough might force me to go slumming at the ghetto-mart down the street-  
They are $$$ even at Walmart. It was $724

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I guess good enough?He trained on the S&W 64 and 870 as well, but I keep asking him what distance he shot at, but he won't answer and makes it out to be like I don't believe he was accurate with it at all or changes the subject. First time I asked him simply "What distance did you shoot at?" and he responded that we'll go to the range and he'll prove it, but I know he'll never do that. I can't find any qualification requirements online so I'm wonder if it's 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards? Is good enough meaning able to keep all rounds on the target?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

another gun I've tried really hard to like.

I've owned a mini 14 and a 30, they just never impressed me. i always seemed to notice the old AR15 haters were all over them because they weren't

"that plastic piece of ---- I had in 'nam"
View Quote
That was my dad, he hated the M-16 platform. I rarely heard him cuss (he was a pastor all my life) but he would come very close to it if the topic of the M-16 came up! He would not allow an AR in his house.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top