BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/21/2014 10:48:50 AM EDT
some good points in this

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Of course he's pushing M&P with his video.  His company promotes a version of it.  It'd be like asking a Barrett or Colt family member which rifle they like better....duhhh their own lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh boy
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
When you get to that level of excellence (referring to the guns; Lamb's sterling reputation needs nothing I can provide) just pick one. Either will serve you as long as you need them to, as well as you expect them to.

I've gotten over my anti-Glock mentality. They are good guns. So are M&Ps.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you get to that level of excellence (referring to the guns; Lamb's sterling reputation needs nothing I can provide) just pick one. Either will serve you as long as you need them to, as well as you expect them to.

I've gotten over my anti-Glock mentality. They are good guns. So are M&Ps.
View Quote

i agree they are both quality but Glocks feel like im holding a sharp edged brick.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#5]
M&P = designed by gun makers to equip police and combat soldiers

Glock = designed by a shovelmaker to equip conscripted parade marchers
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
What I got from that is that they are pretty much a tie.  I've never heard about lights causing a problem on Glocks before and I don't want to have to change the barrel on a new gun to get accuracy.  That's starting to get into the problems of tuning a 1911.  I'll stick with my Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
While I like shooting my M&P's more due to the ergonomics, when it comes down to picking one to do the job it was designed for, I'll take either one. They are both great guns.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]
As much as I think Kyle is a good instructor I have to disagree. At best it's a case by case basis on comparison. On the whole M&Ps have had multiple issues including horridly bad triggers, inaccuracy, early unlocking barrels, and iffy slide locks. Granted some .40 Glocks have issues cycling with lights and the early Gen 4s had extractor issues, but on the whole the Glock platform has been much more reliable historically. Also the Gen4 Glocks have a beavertail and are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I got from that is that they are pretty much a tie.  I've never heard about lights causing a problem on Glocks before and I don't want to have to change the barrel on a new gun to get accuracy.  That's starting to get into the problems of tuning a 1911.  I'll stick with my Glocks.
View Quote

I have heard but have never seen the light issue on the Glock. I did notice he has an older M&P with the old trigger that came factory with 9mm barrels with poor twist rates. I wonder what his take on accuracy of the M&P would be with the new factory barrels with the updated twist rates.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have heard but have never seen the light issue on the Glock. I did notice he has an older M&P with the old trigger that came factory with 9mm barrels with poor twist rates. I wonder what his take on accuracy of the M&P would be with the new factory barrels with the updated twist rates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted on here many of times of my problems with M&P9 accuracy issues. I tried to like them. For two years I carried that gun.

The recent shield thread with no rifling is icing on the cake.

Back to Glock for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I posted on here many of times of my problems with M&P9 accuracy issues. I tried to like them. For two years I carried that gun.

Back to Glock for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back to Glock for me.

What? A Shield with no rifling?

Sounds like a thread a Glock 42 fanboi would make

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Back to Glock for me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to Glock for me.

I hate the 42.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672918_New_to_me_SandW_Shield__40__Smooth_bore_barrel_.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Beaten to the Shield thread link.

That said, I'm a "Glock Guy" but wouldn't feel bad if I had to carry an M&P.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I got from that is that they are pretty much a tie. I've never heard about lights causing a problem on Glocks before and I don't want to have to change the barrel on a new gun to get accuracy.  That's starting to get into the problems of tuning a 1911.  I'll stick with my Glocks.
View Quote

Gen 3 Glock 22's can be problematic with old 10 coil magazines when you attach a light.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have seen more M & P issues than Glock by a ton.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#17]
He left out ease of repair. Anyone can completely strip a Glock. M&P requires you to remove the rear sight to detail strip the slide .
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#18]
While I respect his opinion, I'll stick with my G19 gen2 and not hang a light off the front of it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Are the newer M&P's still requiring a new trigger?  I just couldn't get over the long, and non positive reset.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He left out ease of repair. Anyone can completely strip a Glock. M&P requires you to remove the rear sight to detail strip the slide .
View Quote

Good luck obtaining M&P factory spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Meh...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't a twist rate issue.  No one really knows at this point what causes the stupid accuracy issues with some M&Ps circa 2009-2011, but it did coincide with when they introduced the compact models.  It could be anything from the following list, which is likely incomplete:

1. Tolerance stack

2. Heat treating for slide coating

3. Design of the barrel hood

4. Geometry of the barrel lug/locking block

5. Over zealous slide milling (resulting in #1)

People have tried replacing barrels with newer versions, Wilson Combat makes newer barrels but won't even guarantee them in M&Ps to a specific accuracy level, unlike their other drop-in kits (note their wording: 'in a mechanic vice our barrels achieve XXX accuracy').  

You can try fitting an oversize barrel, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Mine groups somewhat better with a newer production barrel, which leads me to believe the 1/2/5 hypotheses, especially considering I've replaced the locking block.

Newer M&Ps are very much on par with Glocks.  Both shoot great, have workable triggers out of the box, and have lots of accessories.  It is stupid to really pick one over the other and tout it's features.  

If anything, the only real advantage the M&P has in my book is the ability to take CT grips easily without affecting the grip.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

That isn't exactly rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Requires more tools and having to sight in your gun again after servicing the slide is silly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#25]
It was funny when he said that if he's planning for the zombie apocalypse (ie. your life depends on it) he would choose the Glock.  That says it all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#26]
No mention of the fact you have to remove the rear sight on the M&P series to clean the striker/firing pin parts?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#27]
My Glock was made in 'MURICA.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
On the whole M&Ps have had multiple issues including horridly bad triggers, inaccuracy, early unlocking barrels, and iffy slide locks.
View Quote

Wow, I had all of those problems with my M&P 9c and sold it for a 19 thinking I just couldn't shoot it to save my life. Maybe it's a wider issue than what I thought.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#29]
When safe act hit NY I was forced to get a gun built around lower capacity. I REALLY wanted to like my two MP shields but I'm going back to glock.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No mention of the fact you have to remove the rear sight on the M&P series to clean the striker/firing pin parts?

View Quote

You don't

Unless there is some new design in the M&P.

Mine was made in 2010. I don't have to take off the rear sight to completely dissemble it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I own both and shoot both.

Case by case basis is right.  Some people had issues with Gen4s.  My EDC and current competition gun is a Gen4 19 and it's never had issues.  Some people hate M&P triggers.  I don't mind my M&P 40 trigger at all and it's bone stock.

Whatever you own, if you shoot it enough it will eventually have an issue of some kind.  They're things.  Things break.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#32]

I will admit that I am an M&P guy myself.  It just fits better in my hand.  But there is no way anyone can deny that Glock has a reputation for a reason.  They just flat out work.  My previous place of employment allowed me to participate in testing a bullet trap and we used 2 Glock 23 gen 3.  We shot 10,000 rounds of white box winchester target ammo over a period of two weeks and never cleaned either pistol.  Never had a failure of any kind.  That experince made me a Glock believer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You don't

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't

Mine was made in 2010. I don't have to take off the rear sight to completely dissemble it.

Yes you do. All M&P's require the rear sight to come off to get to the striker block.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You don't

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't

Well, on the stock Glock, you have to remove both sights in order to get usable sights, so I guess it's a wash.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You don't

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't

How did you remove the plunger, plunger spring, and cover disc without removing the rear sight?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag for watching on lunch break.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#37]
own and love both. I enjoy my M&Ps but there is no way I'd give up my Gen 3 19
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As much as I think Kyle is a good instructor I have to disagree. At best it's a case by case basis on comparison. On the whole M&Ps have had multiple issues including horridly bad triggers, inaccuracy, early unlocking barrels, and iffy slide locks. Granted some .40 Glocks have issues cycling with lights and the early Gen 4s had extractor issues, but on the whole the Glock platform has been much more reliable historically. Also the Gen4 Glocks have a beavertail and are made in the USA.
View Quote

Hmm, my Gen4 G27 says made in Austria.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I remember when we all hated Smith & Wesson and Ruger
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

And he had to know all of that info. The fact that he chose to ignore it raises some eyebrows.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good luck obtaining M&P factory spare parts.
View Quote

Yup. I learned that one the hard way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

If gun makers did such a hot fucking job, how come it took a shovel maker to make a viable polymer gun that was reliable, inexpensive that fucking works. I hated the Glock till I got my hands on one in 1995 and shot it. I can remember when Smith, Colt, and the rest could not buy an idea that would compete with Glock. I can also remember last year when various Police agencies were recalling the shit out of their issue Smiths Polymer guns over problems with Smith QC. I just wish that the Glock Shovelmaker would go back to his Second Gen reliability and form.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh, maybe it's only the full size frames.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 I had to laugh at his comments about only having to change barrels and weapon sights, but other than that it is a great gun.  The only thing I have done to my .40 Glocks is feed it ammo and clean it.  Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, with WML on Gen 3/4.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really? So how many "Combat Soldiers" are fielding the M&P in combat?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are the newer M&P's still requiring a new trigger?  I just couldn't get over the long, and non positive reset.
View Quote

Yep that was the deal killer for me as well. I sold all of mine except the two Shields.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glock = sidearm of choice carried by over half of LEA's worldwide with a proven track record for reliability

M&P = another evolution of the Sigma and quickly being phased out by LEA's in favor of Glocks after they realized the M&P wasn't that great after all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Glock = sidearm of choice carried by over half of LEA's worldwide with a proven track record for reliability

M&P = another evolution of the Sigma and quickly being phased out by LEA's in favor of Glocks after they realized the M&P wasn't that great after all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh... cops drive shitty cars and wear stupid uniforms too.  Glocks suit LE well.  The M&P is a much better choice for a general issue gun though... that's why the Gen4 Glocks were developed, to narrow that gap.

CZ makes the best service pistols by a mile anyway... everyone else is just playing for second.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Meh... cops drive shitty cars and wear stupid uniforms too.  Glocks suit LE well.  The M&P is a much better choice for a general issue gun though... that's why the Gen4 Glocks were developed, to narrow that gap.

CZ makes the best service pistols by a mile anyway... everyone else is just playing for second.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The comparison was between Glocks and M&Ps.  But if we are introducing other makes HK > CZ.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top