Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/21/2014 9:53:07 AM EDT
Talking politics with a buddy of mine who is extremely right of center and I find out his wife of 20 years is a hardcore liberal. I'm talking raise the minimum wage, free college, open borders, pro welfare type liberal. I asked how he does it and he said they just don't talk politics. Since the way we live our lives is often directly affected by our political beliefs I found this very hard to pull off. What say the hive?

For those who have been married long term to a leftist tell us how you keep your sanity?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Not even if she was a 19 yo Ann-Margret.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#4]
time for a new mouse
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
No, and I dont care if she is mid 90s Jenny McCarthy level hot n. nope
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
out of
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
nope
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Talking politics with a buddy of mine who is extremely right of center and I find out his wife of 20 years is a hardcore liberal. I'm talking raise the minimum wage, free college, open borders, pro welfare type liberal. I asked how he does it and he said they just don't talk politics. Since the way we live our lives is often directly affected by our political beliefs I found this very hard to pull off. What say the hive?

For those who have been married long term to a leftist tell us how you keep your sanity?
View Quote

As someone who is more moderate in most things and I would like to think very open and understanding of others positions I think that I could if I loved the other person enough. After a while you both would have "made your points" and agreed to agree to disagree on some topics and would move on from there, I would think is how it would work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Or even a 19 year old Ann Margaret.

My SO now is pretty seriously naive about the ways of the world and it's ALMOST a dealbreaker.

So, a committed tard? NFW.

TC
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
NO.

I don't see how your buddy does it--I've never met a liberal who was able to keep from injecting politics into EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't see how that could work in the long term.  You are talking about differing core values here.  I wouldn't subject myself to a lifetime of that crap.  I imagine raising kids with someone that different would be a nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
From my experience any woman obsessed with politics 'left or right' tends to be cunty.

I don't think I could be married to liberal though. She's looking for free shit from government or a man. When she's done with you you'll pay for sure.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#13]
HAd a GF like that, she now hates Barry and the party
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell,I won't even date a leftist or be friends with one.

I have a hard enough time being civil with some of my leftist customers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
sure, if she was hot enough and zero inhibitions when it comes to sex.  I don't care about her politics
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Of course not. The gulf between our world views would prevent me from falling in love with her in the first place. It's an impossibility.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Been married to a democrat for 35 years but she is about as far right as you can get.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure, but she better be really cute.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I can put up with a lot of shit for the right reasons, but they'd have to be some pretty great reasons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Marry ?

I wont even date em .
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]

No.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think so. Date, yes. Marry, no.

That's a long time to have to listen to recycled Rachel Maddow drivel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NO.

I don't see how your buddy does it--I've never met a liberal who was able to keep from injecting politics into EVERYTHING.
View Quote

Meh,I'm an old school Republican/Libertarian type and I inject politics into almost everything.How can you not when you are constantly being fed new rules,regulations,taxes,etc..?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As someone who is more moderate in most things and I would like to think very open and understanding of others positions I think that I could if I loved the other person enough. After a while you both would have "made your points" and agreed to agree to disagree on some topics and would move on from there, I would think is how it would work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guns.

So she wants to vote and support people that want to take your guns away,and you would be able to just "agree to disagree"?You're a better man than me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
NO.

Dated one a few years back. Never again. My wife now, is more conservative than I am.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Liberals are meant to be fucked, not married.

The marriage will end when kids show up anyways, if money doesn't end it first.

Conservative will want to save, liberal will want to spend.

Conservative will want discipline, liberal will want to be friends with the kid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

*egregious sarcasm*
Keep her in the kitchen!

Really though in my experience the girl will be a hardcore lib until she finds the right guy and she is willing to give up certain aspects of her life style to live one as wifey. Don't have time to attend womens rights rallies when junior is running around

Eta: before I was hit by the ARF curse, I dated a lib for almost 3 years. She was pro-gun, pro freedom by the time she moved in with me. Became a fan of having the man to protect her.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope couldnt do it
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Would piss me off enough that I don't think it'd work unless everything else was so good that it was worth looking past.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#30]
No. My ex girlfriend was left on some issues...including guns. Drove me nuts and we avoided those subjects. I realized that if we were to get married, it would have sucked.
My now wife is actually an employee for the NRA. So. Yeah.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope.  My mother is one, thats bad enough  We have the same deal, we just don't discuss politics (hard since she worked for the Government for most of her life).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#32]
No.
I have fucked of them though. They tend to be very forward and open about being DTF.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife is my best friend. I can't even be friends with people that diametrically opposed to my beliefs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#34]
How hot is she?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
NO.  The compromises required are NOT worth it.
View Quote

Nope, dated one once. Never again.
If we had a fight it wasnt like arguing with a normal person, they try to lure you in to violence or are violent to try to get a reaction.
Never dated a conservative girl that acted like that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe if she didn't talk and had really big ones.......

Haven't ever found one that didn't shoot her mouth off.

Anyway, married a fabulous rational conservative.

40 years now.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never been married???????????
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
NO.  The compromises required are NOT worth it.
View Quote

Ditto......
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#39]
No, we'd kill each other.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I was talking to this guy I've worked with for eight plus years the other day at work. He told me his wife won't allow any guns in the house, even tho her father is a collector. He has been married for more than fifteen years I believe and is around 45 years old. His wife is ok with their young daughter deer hunting but won't let him buy her a rifle. I didn't ask him about any other liberal disorders she has but that alone would be a dealbreaker for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  Met my wife when we were mid-teens and while aware that our families looked at things differently, political differences really weren't an issue.  We weren't really into politics.  After we got married, differences started to come up, but she's converted over a few years.  Now, if meeting someone new, well into adulthood and a die hard liberal?  Nope. They aren't going to change at that point and I'm not going to try.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe if she didn't talk and had really big ones.......

Haven't ever found one that didn't shoot her mouth off.

Anyway, married a fabulous rational conservative.

40 years now.....
View Quote

Congrats on the 40 years
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't care if she looks like Marissa Miller. No way in hell could I be married to a liberal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Of course not.

Of all the phenomenal advice given here on GD about relationships, even no amount of wisdom could amount to being unequally yoked with someone who basically thinks with a mentality that is a polar opposite of me.

I wouldn't even try to start dating.

I'm lucky I don't have to---I plan on proposing to my GF in the next couple weeks
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Sure.

Nothing but hot makeup sex.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I cant even be friends with someone that has mildly liberal views, I know I could not be married to one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#47]
No. I can't stand to be in the same room with one. Plus I don't like stupid women.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#48]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#49]
No way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#50]
In order to fall in love with a woman, I have to respect her.  

Although nearly everyone has some qualities I can respect, it's the attributes that would cause me to lose respect that are at issue.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top