Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:55:53 AM EDT
I learned yesterday that $25-$35k even for a 3 year old trucks buys you cloth seats and a shitty plastic interior.
Oh you want leather seats and your cheap plastics wrapped in cheap leather? That will be another $5k -$10k.

All the manufactures have 6 different trim options and generally only top two trim levels get you what I would consider a half way good interior. Did we take a step back here?

10 years ago I bought my wife a 01 tahoe LT for $20k with the top trim level and they had 3 trim levels at most.

I feel like just about every truck we looked at had cloth seats.

What's with the ford interiors on the f150?
One of the higher trim levels had the same exact plastics and the same location of those plastics as the lower trim levels, that's pretty f'd up. Ecoboost engine was AWESOME though, made the truck so much smoother and quieter, basically it felt more refined then all the other trucks we looked at cause of that engine. The 5.0 engine was loud and felt weak, you guys who dog the ecoboost and talk up the 5.0 are cray cray.

Dodge trucks were just bla, nothing special at all. I can't believe they even offer that 4.7 V8, so fucking weak they shoukd be ashamed.

Honeslty the best truck we looked at was a bro-dozed 2013 LT silverado, interior was bland like the rest but the truck looked good so it had the extra edge and the 5.3 is a solid engine that I'm familiar with.

If I coukd have my way I'd take the chevy, change the price tag to dodge levels and put the ecoboost ford engine in it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Trucks are very pricey right now, I have seen new trucks go for the same price or slightly cheaper than a slightly used one.  Look for a new truck with 6-10k off the sticker

Edit

You should look at the price of big SUVs
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to say this, but right now your probably better off buying new, that  or wait for a few years for the used market to get back to normal
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I went through the same thing a few years ago.  I use my truck for work but still wanted something with decent options so I could haul the family in comfort if I'm hauling the horse trailer to a show or something.  I finally stopped looking at new ones and just bought a used Dodge with good options.  Much cheaper just paid cash and was done with it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trucks are very pricey right now, I have seen new trucks go for the same price or slightly cheaper than a slightly used one.  Look for a new truck with 6-10k off the sticker

Edit

View Quote

That's still about $40k when it's all said and done. That's basically a $700-$800 a month payment assuming someone loaned all that outright.

Last year I bought a twin turbo BMW with hardly mIles on it for $25k, the car still smells brand new even.

This shit is madness and I'm not really understanding how we're getting and sustaining these truck/suv numbers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
the new trucks are nice.. but retarded expensive. i will just keep my paid off suv..... and go buy me a used cheap as hell 4x4 pickup and spend the money on parts for it.

something like this would be nice, since i wont be driving it much.... or a f150/ f250.

i have pretty much all my bills paid off, with no vehicle payments, and im planning to keep it like that. 25-30k will do a lot of repairing to a cheap used truck. iv been driving my truck for 5 years now... with a total out of pocket of $6000.00  and that includes new tires, recovered seats, and new carpet.  

i pretty much only drive < 40 miles a trip. ( town and back), 3-4  times a month i go to my farm (2 hour round trip). if i want to go out of state we take my gfs car, or i rent something new for the trip. saves me a shit load of money.

here is what i would like i think.

here is what i drive now.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's still about $40k when it's all said and done. That's basically a $700-$800 a month payment assuming someone loaned all that outright.

Last year I bought a twin turbo BMW with hardly mIles on it for $25k, the car still smells brand new even.

This shit is madness and I'm not really understanding how we're getting and sustaining these truck/suv numbers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Low interest rates for 6 or 7 year terms, combined with inflation. It's absurd. In 2003 I bought a fully loaded 1999 Z71 Silverado with 30k miles for $19,000 dollars.  Today a fully loaded 3 year old silverado is $35k.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as the suckers keep paying the prices they will keep on selling the cheap plastic junk.
If you think that's bad, have you seen what idiots are paying for ATVs and side by sides ??
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I found an ecoboosted Lariat at a price I could live with this spring so I jumped on it. I had been looking for a while.
Leather, all the electronic goodies, and an engine that pulls like beast.  Cost me $35K though with 38k miles on it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife loves the heated leather seats in my sierra. I swear it could be 100 degrees out and the first thing she does when she climbs aboard is to turn on her seat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went through the same thing a few years ago.  I use my truck for work but still wanted something with decent options so I could haul the family in comfort if I'm hauling the horse trailer to a show or something.  I finally stopped looking at new ones and just bought a used Dodge with good options.  Much cheaper just paid cash and was done with it.
View Quote

The dodge dealership offered us the best truck for the money around $20k. It had cloth seats but it was only a few years old and had like 20k miles. I do their IT work so I'm not sure if that helped but if we were in dire straights and needed a truck that day, we would have bought that Ram.

It was the most boring out of all the trucks though, it didn't have that extra edge and it would have felt "chore" like buying it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd wait a bit.

Year end is always a good time to buy, and gas prices are likely to go back up after the election.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]
wow, I'd better go wash and buff my '08 2500 WT.  Yeah, bare bones, but I paid 22k new.  They way we treat a truck the leather is a waste.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been wanting a F150 XLT crew or FX4..then I saw how much they are asking and what the annual operating costs are. And you are right OP, aside from the outside look of some of the outside trim packages, most trucks are VERY lame on the inside.

Yeah, I will stick to my $226.00/ mo payment for another year on my commuter and rent a home deport truck or enterprise pick up for the day if I need a hauler.

Someone here said to look at the Enterprise sales for used pickups..I may do that if I really want one.

Right now, I just don't see the value in them (for me).

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The dodge dealership offered us the best truck for the money around $20k. It had cloth seats but it was only a few years old and had like 20k miles. I do their IT work so I'm not sure if that helped but if we were in dire straights and needed a truck that day, we would have bought that Ram.

It was the most boring out of all the trucks though, it didn't have that extra edge and it would have felt "chore" like buying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I've owned an F150 and a Silverado.  I liked the interior of the F150 the most but it was an older model (2008) so not sure how that stacks up to the new ones.  The Dodge isn't over fancy but it has been a workhorse and I have had zero mechanical issues with it.  My dad and brother are die hard Ford guys and gave me shit for getting a Dodge but besides tires and routine maintenance I have had zero repair bills.  Their Fords, on the other hand, are nickel and dimeing them all the time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wow, I'd better go wash and buff my '08 2500 WT.  Yeah, bare bones, but I paid 22k new.  They way we treat a truck the leather is a waste.

View Quote

After my experience yesterday and seeing what you guys are posting here, there are some deals to be had if one is willing to deal with lower trim levels, it's the options were you can end up paying out thr nose.

And here I thought it was just the Germans who played that game, it would seem the American manufactures have followed suit since I bought my 01 Tahoe 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Just keep looking....I payed 34K for my F150 FX4 with eccoboost (used)  Has damn near everything except sun roof and rear heated seats
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been wanting a F150 XLT crew or FX4..then I saw how much they are asking and what the annual operating costs are. And you are right OP, aside from the outside look of some of the outside trim packages, most trucks are VERY lame on the inside.

Yeah, I will stick to my $226.00/ mo payment for another year on my commuter and rent a home deport truck or enterprise pick up for the day if I need a hauler.

Someone here said to look at the Enterprise sales for used pickups..I may do that if I really want one.

Right now, I just don't see the value in them (for me).

View Quote

You know what the fastest vehicles in the world are?

Rentals.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just keep looking....I payed 34K for my F150 FX4 with eccoboost (used)  Has damn near everything except sun roof and rear heated seats
View Quote

How many miles though?
I was surprised at how many super low miles trucks there were on the lots, but they all wanted top dollar for them though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Try having 6 kids.  Well we did just get the cheapest large vehicle ever the Nissan nv3500 which came to 40k with nav and all.   We drive to Disney world like twice a year and the qx56's we have just won't cut it for the 16-20 hour trip.   Can still tow almost 9000lbs too which is nice.  Only 2wd tho and ugly.  

Will work for long trips.  Will stick to the infinitys for around town with the family.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Try having 6 kids.  Well we did just get the cheapest large vehicle ever the Nissan nv3500 which came to 40k with nav and all.   We drive to Disney world like twice a year and the qx56's we have just won't cut it for the 16-20 hour trip.   Can still tow almost 9000lbs too which is nice.  Only 2wd tho and ugly.  

Will work for long trips.  Will stick to the infinitys for around town with the family.
View Quote

Wow man, you and your wife must be busy in more ways then one.

6 kids? I would just give in and embrace the minivan.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can buy a NEW Loaded Quad Cab, 4x4 XLT Package Ford F-150 for $28K
View Quote

Total bullshit.  Considering starting MSRP on an XLT is $30k and add 6.5k to that if want a crew.... and that is only a 4x2 (you gotta add 3400 for that).

MSRP on just your XLT, Cab, and drive.. you're at $40,260

I didn't even add "FULLY loaded" which is a hair over 50k.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Case in point:        Here is the window sticker for this truck :   http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1ET2EKD81086

It's for the most part LOADED.

Twin Turbo.
Locker
Heated leather seats.....

http://www.lithiafordboise.com/new/Ford/2014-Ford-F-150-Boise-ID-e224013e0a0a00e05c5eab4604331aee.htm

I guess I just don't see where people are getting these ridiculous prices they are quoting. I think you can buy a whole lot of truck for the money these days.
View Quote

Maybe it's a location thing?
I know around here people are koo koo for trucks.

When we were test driving that bro'd out chevy, I thought we were in a lambo we got so many looks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I feel your pain OP. I'm in the used market right now and people are commandin top dollar for their tired rust buckets. Need to let the market adjust before I make the leap
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I ripped out the carpet and Herculined the tub of my Jeep Rubicon, leather...pffft
I guess you guys need a place to keep the Vagasil
you want leather, get a town car, or a minivan
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#28]
People buy them like they are going out of style.  Until that stops dealerships are going to keep raking it in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I ripped out the carpet and Herculined the tub of my Jeep Rubicon, leather...pffft
I guess you guys need a place to keep the Vagasil
View Quote

Guess you're the only real man here.
GL with that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Honestly the best thing for you to do is look for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. Make sure it already has the recall frame work done and if you get it for 19k you stole it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I just want a truck. I don't need leather, GPS, butt massaging seats, and a bluetooth fleshlight mounted in the glove box. I just want a fucking truck to pull my boat and take me to work.

And I want it to cost under 20K and get better than 15MPG. Why is that so fucking hard?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Welcome to the world, when did you get off?
I bought a new truck last year for about $33,000.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I learned yesterday that $25-$35k even for a 3 year old trucks buys you cloth seats and a shitty plastic interior.
Oh you want leather seats and your cheap plastics wrapped in cheap leather? That will be another $5k -$10k.

All the manufactures have 6 different trim options and generally only top two trim levels get you what I would consider a half way good interior. Did we take a step back here?

10 years ago I bought my wife a 01 tahoe LT for $20k with the top trim level and they had 3 trim levels at most.

One of the higher trim levels had the same exact plastics and the same location of those plastics as the lower trim levels, that's pretty f'd up. Ecoboost engine was AWESOME though, made the truck so much smoother and quieter, basically it felt more refined then all the other trucks we looked at cause of that engine. The 5.0 engine was loud and felt weak, you guys who dog the ecoboost and talk up the 5.0 are cray cray.

Dodge trucks were just bla, nothing special at all. I can't believe they even offer that 4.7 V8, so fucking weak they shoukd be ashamed.

Honeslty the best truck we looked at was a bro-dozed 2013 LT silverado, interior was bland like the rest but the truck looked good so it had the extra edge and the 5.3 is a solid engine that I'm familiar with.

If I coukd have my way I'd take the chevy, change the price tag to dodge levels and put the ecoboost ford engine in it.

View Quote

why are you buying a truck?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total bullshit.  Considering starting MSRP on an XLT is $30k and add 6.5k to that if want a crew.... and that is only a 4x2 (you gotta add 3400 for that).

XLT Crew cab, 4x4, 5.0

http://www.lithiafordboise.com/new/Ford/2014-Ford-F-150-Boise-ID-258467960a0a00e0385aa10950086e1b.htm

That truck is $40k+ in SW Indiana.
If I was looking for a new ride, It would almost be worth a plane ticket to ID.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#36]

I don't see dealers taking off $5k off of an already  $5k rebate. Sounds like I need to take a trip to Idaho.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Honestly the best thing for you to do is look for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. Make sure it already has the recall frame work done and if you get it for 19k you stole it.
View Quote
that took quite awhile

figured that would be first post

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#38]
09 F-250 diesel, King Ranch, 88k, new tires, spotless interior, no rust.  Less than half of what it blue books for.  Just gotta look for the deals OP (And sometimes settle for a bright ass blue truck )

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#39]
My first house (3BR Ranch) cost $17,000.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drive fast cars, wife has had same SUV for 10 years and wants a truck.
I personally hate trucks if you want to know the truth.

Not really the point anyways.
For the price they're commanding, they should be loaded down.

You might be ok with spending $30k+ for a cloth and plastic interior so you can show the world how manly you are but for me it's about money and what you get for your money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly....28k seems a bit of a stretch.

ETA - http://www.billcolwellford.com/inventory/view/2014/Model/F-150/New/Records10/Trims/XLT/Cab/SuperCrew%20Cab/SortByPriceLowToHigh/

We are getting hosed in IA
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XLT Crew cab, 4x4, 5.0

http://www.lithiafordboise.com/new/Ford/2014-Ford-F-150-Boise-ID-258467960a0a00e0385aa10950086e1b.htm

Looks like I'm flying to ID
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XLT Crew cab, 4x4, 5.0

I'm calling that dealer right now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited:
just talked with a guys there. He says they sell shit tons to out of state people but they don't ship to other dealerships. If you did have them ship it, it's a car carrier service that drops it off at your drive way.

Going to talk to the wife and see what she thinks about a trip to boise.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just call the dealer, they will ship it to your dealer for you in most cases. No need for a trip.  Or find a similar truck where you are at, print the above out and say "If you guys can't give me the same price, I am buying this one."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see dealers taking off $5k off of an already  $5k rebate. Sounds like I need to take a trip to Idaho.

Just call the dealer, they will ship it to your dealer for you in most cases. No need for a trip.  Or find a similar truck where you are at, print the above out and say "If you guys can't give me the same price, I am buying this one."

Would either of those option works for someone living 2000+/-miles away?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hate to say this, but right now your probably better off buying new, that  or wait for a few years for the used market to get back to normal
View Quote

Crazy, but likely true.  The old "two years old" doesn't apply anymore.

Two year old used cars sell for more than NEW cars with good incentives applied.  It's nuts.

I gave up looking and bought a 7 year old truck with over 100k just to get the price down to something I considered reasonable.

Money, aint worth what it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#48]
This is what a man's truck interior looks like.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Back in late 1998/early 99 I had an employee that was truck shopping. Shit credit so he considered in no way could he be looking at anything new. Off to the local Ford dealers used lot he went and came up with a 97 F150 standard cab, short bed, V6 stripper model with a standard transmission. One step up from a work truck. Used hard with 50,000 miles and had been wrecked and repaired very poorly. $13,995 and they would finance him at some astronomical rate upwards of  19%. I had to laugh. I called the dealers new car department and spoke with someone I know and found a brand new 98 model similarly equipped but with two tone paint and chrome wheels, clearance price for $13,700.00 and got him interest at 7.5%. People are stupid.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top