Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
mmmkay
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The BMI index is so oversimplified it is ridiculous, there are MANY other variables that height and weight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 5'10" and about 220.  Yeah I could stand to lose a few pounds, but that chart in the doctors office says I should be no more than 168.  Just ain't no way.  I wasn't even that in High school over 30 years ago.  It's BS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 5'10" and about 220.  Yeah I could stand to lose a few pounds, but that chart in the doctors office says I should be no more than 168.  Just ain't no way.  I wasn't even that in High school over 30 years ago.  It's BS.
View Quote

Are you built like a weightlifter?  Do you have a large amount of muscle?  I'm 5'10 and 140lbs.  You can easily be 168, even when ripped.   My father is ~5'11 and has consistently weighed ~200lbs for most of his life, but that's because he's been lifting weights religiously and has less fat on him than I do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#6]
needs moar bodpod
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
A good buddy of mine went through CAG selection and OTC at 5'10"/190lbs. That's considered well into the "overweight" category on the BMI chart. BMI is way oversimplified and complete BS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#8]
But what if you are just fat?  Sorry, but burgers, beer and pizza taste better than salads, rice cakes and carrot sticks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, that would be a good weight for you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
They measure BMI at the health screening we have to do for my employers insurance program. I'm 6'3" and the claim my ideal weight is 165-195.  I'm over that now but I was 195 just a few years ago an I can tell if you if i were 30lbs lighter then that I would have looked like a concentration camp victim. Its nonsense. 185-190 maybe but 165? No way.

Its not just that either. They seem to have crazy guide lines for other stuff. They check our blood pressure. I was 120/74.  They said I have pre-hypertension?!?! I thought 120/80 was supposed to be normal. I'm below that and they say I have high blood pressure

Then there is waste circumference. They actually measure your belly. 40" is the cutoff for a "healthy male".  It doesn't matter if your a dainty little 5'4" dude or a hulking 6'6" same target. How does that make sense?

All of the above, by the way, are metrics for the diagnosis of "metabolic syndrome" which all started being a requirement of our program once Obama care came down the pike. Seems like lots of other programs are doing this now too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm overweight even when I'm at single digit body fat
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the old "pinch an inch" guideline.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#13]
BMI was intended for measuring populations in studies not individuals. It was never intended to be used the way it is today.

Only reason it is used is because it is stupid easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Bmi is a joke..but if it is good for one thing it is noticing trends of a population.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I just had my work-up for work.

5'6" and 178. I'm built pretty well.

Puts my BMI at 29 (19-25 is norm.) This is obese by BMI calculations.

I weighed 135 in high school,22 BMI, and looked like an Auschwitz survivor.

I'd like to get down to 160 but that still puts me at 26 BMI
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The BMI index is so oversimplified it is ridiculous, there are MANY other variables that height and weight.
View Quote

That's true, but if you're the type to claim BMI is a government conspiracy to make you feel fat....

You're probably just really fucking fat.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here - I'm 5'9" and 190 lbs and according to BMI is borderline obese. In my prime after graduating high school I was an exercise freak and weighed in at 185 lbs. Six days a week I would hit the weights for two hours then do cardio for two hours. I was buff and in shape. Now that I'm in my forty's, and don't exercise as much I've got some little love handles but no gut, and my arms, chest (broad shoulders and chest), legs, shoulders, etc. are still muscular (working on a farm and chopping lots of wood will do that for you). Yet according to BMI I should weigh 150-something pounds like a metrosexual pajamaboy waif. BMI and "ideal weight" IMO are total junk science (up there with global warming) and are creating this false illusion that everyone in America is fat/obese (which I guess is ideal if your a government pushing for controls on people's healthcare).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#18]
BMI whining in GD?

Ma baby didn't eat nuffin !!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BMI whining in GD?

Ma baby did eat muffin !!!

View Quote

Fix'd
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL OP.

BMI should be applied to populations overall to notice a trend, like in America. That said, BMI can be used poorly, like when used towards one person. If you were to apply BMI to me I'm overweight. I'm 5'9, 178lbs, but a 33" waist and I hit the gym 4 times a week.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#22]
My mirror can tell if you're fat or skinny.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BMI whining in GD?

Ma baby didn't eat nuffin !!!

View Quote

There are some people that are legitimately fat, but there are also people who have muscular builds that the bmi calls fat.  Even I am at the very high end of the normal range, which is a joke.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. 5'9" 260.  Yeah. Im overweight but looking at me most would guess low 200s tops.   A lot of muscle density
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I love fattie threads.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. 5'9" 260.  Yeah. Im overweight but looking at me most would guess low 200s tops.   A lot of muscle density
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seriously doubt that your muscles are more dense than the average person's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#28]
What happened to percent body fat?  You know...the measure that helps differentiate between fat and muscle which is something BMI ignores...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just had my work-up for work.

5'6" and 178. I'm built pretty well.

Puts my BMI at 29 (19-25 is norm.) This is obese by BMI calculations.

I weighed 135 in high school,22 BMI, and looked like an Auschwitz survivor.

I'd like to get down to 160 but that still puts me at 26 BMI
View Quote

no its not. obese is a BMI of 31. You're in the "overweight" catagory
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#30]
According to the BMI, Tom Cruise is obese,

A couple years ago, when I was training for a marathon and considering signing up for an Ironman, I was running 30-45 miles a week, biking around 130 miles a week and swimming about 6000 yards a week, as well as lifting four days a week.  I was 5'10" and around 185lbs with a BF content of around 12% at age 44-45, which according to the doctor is in the excellent range.  According to BMI, I was overweight by over 15lbs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're not a fullback in the NFL, I'm guessing you look a lot fatter than you think you do
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What happened to percent body fat?  You know...the measure that helps differentiate between fat and muscle which is something BMI ignores...
View Quote

It's not politically expedient when you want to legislate what kids can eat in the lunchroom or what healthcare services you can get. In order to control people's behavior there first must be a problem to address. If there isn't,  you manufacture one. I'm sure BMI started out as a benign metric, then the government found "a problem" that fit "their solution."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you're not a fullback in the NFL, I'm guessing you look a lot fatter than you think you do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#34]
The days of hitting the gym after work and doing long upper body workouts to bulk up my neck circumference are behind me now. I do not miss them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I really care what .gov thinks of my weight/height.  I'm 6'2'' 220lbs not fat. It's car makers I'm more concerned with.  Try to find a compact that'll fit a tall / bigger person.  You've gotta start at the midsized sedans and maybe you'll fit OK.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's not politically expedient when you want to legislate what kids can eat in the lunchroom or what healthcare services you can get. In order to control people's behavior there first must be a problem to address. If there isn't,  you manufacture one. I'm sure BMI started out as a benign metric, then the government found "a problem" that fit "their solution."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fairly sure if you subjected the population to % body fat testing, the "problem" would still be apparent. Over half the school age kids I see are disgusting fatbodies, not that I'm suggesting federal lunch control is the solution.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you're exactly right.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What
happened to percent body fat?  You know...the measure that helps
differentiate between fat and muscle which is something BMI ignores...

It's
not politically expedient when you want to legislate what kids can eat
in the lunchroom or what healthcare services you can get. In order to
control people's behavior there first must be a problem to address. If
there isn't,  you manufacture one. I'm sure BMI started out as a benign
metric, then the government found "a problem" that fit "their solution."

I'm
fairly sure if you subjected the population to % body fat testing, the
"problem" would still be apparent. Over half the school age kids I see
are disgusting fatbodies, not that I'm suggesting federal lunch control
is the solution.

There's no doubt there are a lot of fat people.  I'm in Colorado which is one of the or the least fat state and I still see it.

But I think the BMI nonsense exaggerates the problem and clouds the issue.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Seriously though, the so-called "obesity epidemic" is overblown IMHO.  Sure, there are obese people...there always have been.  Hell, when I lived in PA in the early 80s, I knew a lot of older people who were obese.  Farm kids who would eat like a horse and work like a horse, then go on to play football and then they got out of school and didn't work on the farm or work out with the team but still ate like a horse.  
In the high schools where I work, I see a few obese kids, but nowhere near the percentage that's quoted over and over in the news.  Even in Wal-Mart, I don't see as many obese people as the news talks about.  I think the numbers are, if you'll pardon the pun, inflated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
According to the BMI, Tom Cruise is obese,

A couple years ago, when I was training for a marathon and considering signing up for an Ironman, I was running 30-45 miles a week, biking around 130 miles a week and swimming about 6000 yards a week, as well as lifting four days a week.  I was 5'10" and around 185lbs with a BF content of around 12% at age 44-45, which according to the doctor is in the excellent range.  According to BMI, I was overweight by over 15lbs.
View Quote

BMI doesn't handle folks active athletes very well.  That's well known.  It seems applicable to you.  I question whether it's applicable to the majority of internet users who complain about BMI not being a perfect measure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really care what .gov thinks of my weight/height.  I'm 6'2'' 220lbs not fat. It's car makers I'm more concerned with.  Try to find a compact that'll fit a tall / bigger person.  You've gotta start at the midsized sedans and maybe you'll fit OK.
View Quote

My 6'4", 180lb friend fits in his Civic just fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he'd also be one of the shorter and heavier fullbacks in the NFL

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are you built like a weightlifter?  Do you have a large amount of muscle?  I'm 5'10 and 140lbs.  You can easily be 168, even when ripped.   My father is ~5'11 and has consistently weighed ~200lbs for most of his life, but that's because he's been lifting weights religiously and has less fat on him than I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess you work for the gov't? You have never seen the guy but you are making assumptions based on what you think you know about muscle mass. I am 5'11 and it would be physically impossible for me to be 168 lbs and healthy. I would be skin and bones and near death.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Let me guess you work for the gov't? You have never seen the guy but you are making assumptions based on what you think you know about muscle mass. I am 5'11 and it would be physically impossible for me to be 168 lbs and healthy. I would be skin and bones and near death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, what is your % body fat?  Even based on bioimpedance...doesn't need to be caliper or tank calculated.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I write software in the private sector for private sector clients.  What I've learned in this industry is that people will bend over backwards to justify the way they are doing things, even when it's nonsensical.

Near death at 168 and 5'11"?  How do you explain the fact that I've lived just fine at 28 pounds lower than your "OMG I'll die" weight while being all of an inch shorter?  

Edit: For comparison, I did one of those impedance body fat tests earlier in the year.  9.7%.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, I write software in the private sector for private sector clients.  What I've learned in this industry is that people will bend over backwards to justify the way they are doing things, even when it's nonsensical.

Near death at 168 and 5'11"?  How do you explain the fact that I've lived just fine at 28 pounds lower than your "OMG I'll die" weight while being all of an inch shorter?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because there might be a lot of variety in people? Different bone densities, muscle densities, legt to body length rations, hat size
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Pick any football team. Run the BMI on the players. Tell them they're fat and out of shape. Observe the cleat-prints on your ass as you sail between the goalposts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm 6'4.5" and 220 lbs.  I am in shape.  35" waist.  My BMI is 26.4.  Overweight.  

BMI is retarded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#48]
My BMI says I'm obese.

But dat #summitclub doe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not quite true.  My son is 17 and is 5'11" and around 170lbs.  He's a club swimmer who swims and works out 3 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week and he's not skin and bones.  He's very cut and pretty skinny but still very strong.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Because there might be a lot of variety in people?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because there might be a lot of variety in people?

Not as much as you think.  Our organs are the same size, we need the same amount of blood, etc.  Maybe his frame is larger than mine.  I've got a friend who took up running a few years back.  Shed many, many pounds.  He looks a bit odd, because he's broad shouldered and being at marathon weight just doesn't look right on him.  But, he's also in great shape and no where near death.  

I seriously doubt CTM would experience ill health if he was down to 168lbs.  It's hyperbolic justification for the way he is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top