Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 9/29/2014 8:29:14 AM EDT
The Navy has started the massive gas turbines in its latest class of guided missile destroyer ahead of the ship’s commissioning next year, Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) announced on Thursday.

The first-in-class Zumwalt (DDG-1000) fired up the two Rolls Royce MT-30 and two smaller Rolls-Royce RR450 gas turbines this week as part of testing the ships new integrated power system (IPS) that will use the combined 80 mega-watt power to power the ship and its new advanced induction motors (AIM).

Unlike traditional gas turbine arrangements on U.S. naval ships, the 36 mega-watt MT-30s and 3.8 mega-watt RR450s will drive a ship-wide electrical grid. Instead of having a direct mechanical connection to the ship’s propellers or water jets, the turbines will route power electrically to complex electrical motors that will drive the ship — crucial to the Navy’s IPS concept.

Through IPS the amount of raw power is increased making the three planned Zumwalts ideal test platforms for next generation weapons like high energy lasers or electro magnetic railguns.
View Quote

http://news.usni.org/2014/09/26/navy-lights-zumwalt-generators#more-9329
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a badass ship. Models are available in 1/350 scale. Everyone should build one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.  The T-AKEs are IPS.  Diesel electric vice GT-electric, though.  I wonder what voltage the main bus will run.  We use 6.6kV and have various step-down load centers scattered about for 480V.

Shore power from a ship to shore takes a lot of infrastructure to support.  Even if I had the cables on hand, I would need a way to tie into the grid and transformers to adapt the voltage.  My shore power breakers will only allow incoming power, so they would need to be modified.  Then, even though I produce 6.6kV, my shore power ties in to the 480V bus.

I'm not a lineman, but I thought most shore-grids were set up for 7.2kV or 14.4kV.  Someone will be along shortly to correct me on that, I'm sure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Voltage would be one issue, synchronizing it would be the other.  That with gas turbine prime mover would not be impossible but would also not be organic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Ill be interested to see how far this goes.

Its not a new idea, obviously diesel locomotives do the same thing, but on a ship?

Is this the first ship to use electric drive?

How much do they anticipate in saving on maintenance?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its not a new idea, obviously diesel locomotives do the same thing, but on a ship?

View Quote

The newest British type 45 destroyers have IEP
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Diesel electric subs prior to WWII

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

doh!

Forgot.
Did the diesels only charge the batteries and they always ran electric drive even on the surface?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple British RFA ships are electric drive.  The T-AKE class dry cargo/ammo ships and the MLPs are also electric drive.  Really, I don't see savings on maintenance.  We just spend the money on different things and keep an army of tech reps very well-employed.

ETA:  T2 tankers were turbo-electric drive.  USNS Waters is diesel electric, too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#11]
The way I see it it is not the power being generated to move the ship but to use some of the massive power in weapon systems. That is your payback.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many years ago Diesel Electric tugboats were very common.  Most modern cruise ships are also Diesel electric azapoidal drive. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The way I see it it is not the power being generated to move the ship but to use some of the massive power in weapon systems. That is your payback.
View Quote

Thats why I am interested to see if lasers or rail guns will be fitted eventually

Its a big fucking ship.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters.
View Quote

Just what one wants to do in a natural disaster, put power into the grid. Your lack of critical thinking ability makes me sad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The U.S. Navy had electric drive battleships in the post-World War One era.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats why I am interested to see if lasers or rail guns will be fitted eventually

Its a big fucking ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a big fucking ship.

So we're ten years or so away from blinding everybody on a "cruise boat" celebrating a wedding that for some reason had pintle mounted DshKs?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Many years ago Diesel Electric tugboats were very common.  Most modern cruise ships are also Diesel electric azapoidal drive. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how many there are but I know DE propulsion ice breakers exist. I was told this is due to the stress on the shaft when the props turning and it's trying to break through ice. I have no idea if this is true though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Haven't cruise ships and many others used electric motors in azipods for years? How is this different?

I don't know much about ships so I'm curious.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Haven't cruise ships and many others used electric motors in azipods for years? How is this different?

View Quote

It is not different. The U.S. Navy just got onboard with what the private sector has done for decades. Zumwalt will not have azipods because the U.S. Navy lacks the ability to think forward.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes,  it is common.
"Queen Mary 2's power plant comprises both four sixteen cylinder Wärtsilä 16V46CR EnviroEngine marine diesel engines generating a combined 67,200 kW (90,100 hp) at 514 rpm, as well as two General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines which together provide a further 50,000 kW (67,000 hp) all of which is converted into electricity used to power electric motors which drive the propellers. Such an arrangement, known as integrated electric propulsion, provides for economical cruising at low speed combined with an ability to sustain much higher speeds when required, and has been common in naval vessels for some time.[15] "
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A couple British RFA ships are electric drive.  The T-AKE class dry cargo/ammo ships and the MLPs are also electric drive.  Really, I don't see savings on maintenance.  We just spend the money on different things and keep an army of tech reps very well-employed.

ETA:  T2 tankers were turbo-electric drive.  USNS Waters is diesel electric, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pathfinder Class
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is not different. The U.S. Navy just got onboard with what the private sector has done for decades. Zumwalt will not have azipods because the U.S. Navy lacks the ability to think forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well they have in the past.  They has a turbo / electric  Battleship in 1915!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_Mexico_(BB-40)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No azipod.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just what one wants to do in a natural disaster, put power into the grid. Your lack of critical thinking ability makes me sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they turn off all the generating plants every time a twister goes though OK?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you wouldnt want power where everyone was staging to respond?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No azipod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No azipod.

No combat ship uses them. For a reason. They were looked at and discarded.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No azipod.

Whats the issue?

Too exposed?
Too fragile?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Whats the issue?

Too exposed?
Too fragile?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No azipod.

Whats the issue?

Too exposed?
Too fragile?

I'm no engineer, but you look at them sticking out like that and wonder what a shock test will do to them.

With all the other tech, new shit, pricey things etc. they crammed into the 1000s, if azipods had made some sense at all they would've put them on there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm no engineer, but you look at them sticking out like that and wonder what a shock test will do to them.

With all the other tech, new shit, pricey things etc. they crammed into the 1000s, if azipods had made some sense at all they would've put them on there.
View Quote

Too slow, great for manuevering. Some ships have bow tunnel thrusters, others have drop-downs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And your posting makes the rest if us laugh. Who said anything about a grid? You could power a tent city refugee center/command post/staging area.

THe possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I may be wrong but all the new cruise ships use electric motors in pods driving a variable pitch propellers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I may be wrong but all the new cruise ships use electric motors in pods driving a variable pitch propellers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say that an electric drive controllable pitch doesn't exist, but it would be incredibly unusual and I have not heard of such an installation.  Electric motors already have infinitley variable speed control.  The draw of CPPs was being able to make better use of the relatively narrow available speed range for mechanically coupled diesel and gas turbine plants.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Its a big fucking ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a big fucking ship.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And your posting makes the rest if us laugh. Who said anything about a grid? You could power a tent city refugee center/command post/staging area.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The possibilities are endless, if you are ignorant of ship operations. Where does the ship discharge sewage? It is illegal to discharge in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide sewage services? What about clean water for the ship? It is inadvisable to for the ship's water generation systems to make water in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide clean water for the ship's crew? How about security requirements as the ship is close to many desperate people? How many lights for tent cities run on Zumwalt's 4,160 volt power? If there was a disaster is there even a clear channel for the ship to navigate in?

Lack of criticial thinking ability is an epidemic on this site.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
combined 80 mega-watt power
View Quote

That's a lot of juice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No azipod.

Yes, because modern combat ships are so survivable. Was there not a crusier that was just holed by a warheadless drone?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say that an electric drive controllable pitch doesn't exist, but it would be incredibly unusual and I have not heard of such an installation.  Electric motors already have infinitley variable speed control.  The draw of CPPs was being able to make better use of the relatively narrow available speed range for mechanically coupled diesel and gas turbine plants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are right on the variable pitch thing. Remember a large cruise ship coming into Port Everglades hit the side of the channel and screwed up the propeller shaft seal.
They repaired it in the water.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Hmmm...you guys ever had an MG or a Triumph?

Rolls Royce is a British concern, oui?

Do the words "Magic Smoke" mean nothing to you?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And already been done with the nukes on aircraft carriers. As long as you can go ashore and verify the integrity of whatever circuits you're going to power, the only real limit is the output of the ship.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's a lot of juice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
combined 80 mega-watt power

That's a lot of juice.

Wonder how they look on the electromagnetic spectrum when they are generating that much power.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And already been done with the nukes on aircraft carriers. As long as you can go ashore and verify the integrity of whatever circuits you're going to power, the only real limit is the output of the ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they have not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The possibilities are endless, if you are ignorant of ship operations. Where does the ship discharge sewage? It is illegal to discharge in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide sewage services? What about clean water for the ship? It is inadvisable to for the ship's water generation systems to make water in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide clean water for the ship's crew? How about security requirements as the ship is close to many desperate people? How many lights for tent cities run on Zumwalt's 4,160 volt power? If there was a disaster is there even a clear channel for the ship to navigate in?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're funny, kinda sad too though. But we will take the comedy relief with your "expertise".

What if doesn't get shit done in the real world and that seems to be all you can do.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its a theoretical ability, but I don't think its ever been done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You're funny, kinda sad too though. But we will take the comedy relief with your "expertise".  

What if doesn't get shit done in the real world and that seems to be all you can do.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you have no intelligent reply to add to this discussion. Continue to obfuscate in order to hide your ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I see you are throwing out big words to hide the fact you are clueless.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes...there is a lack of critical thinking....it's not where you think it is however...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I see you are throwing out big words to hide the fact you are clueless.  

View Quote

I am not clueless. I have written the truth. That truth, however, conflicts with the mythology of this site that says the U.S. military can do anything and is the best at everything. It is a shame my fellow Americans cannot learn from the past.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I see you have no intelligent reply to add to this discussion. Continue to obfuscate in order to hide your ignorance.
View Quote

Seriously? You are the clown that pops in to a huge chunk of military related threads, shits on all the services, makes no positive contribution to the thread, and then calls other members out without citing your credentials as an authority on the matter. Fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh yes...there is a lack of critical thinking....it's not where you think it is however...
View Quote

It is exactly where I think it is. No one is addressing my points. They are, instead and predictably, attacking me. That is proof the attackers have been defeated in the arena of ideas, as a radio talk show host used to say.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Seriously? You are the clown that pops in to a huge chunk of military related threads, shits on all the services, makes no positive contribution to the thread, and then calls other members out without citing your credentials as an authority on the matter. Fuck off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have provided reasons why the claims this ship will power the shore in disater relief scenarios will never occur and why it cannot occur. In return, I am attacked personally.

I do not see your resume posted, so your cries for "credentials" are a double standard and a red-herring.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top