Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2014 4:50:54 PM EDT
How common are Marines who are unfamiliar with guns? What about Marines who simply don't like guns or want nothing to do with them (not counting those who relate bad memories/experiences with guns)?

E.G.: My friend's dating a Marine, active from 2010-14 and says he went to Afghan once and to Iraq once. He doesn't know what type of gun this is nor has ever seen one:

He wants nothing to do with guns and never talks about the military or his service. He also doesn't strike me as a low-key, I've-seen-some-shit-and-don't-want-to-talk-about-it type either. Everything about him seems off. Maybe it is common and I just haven't had the pleasure to meet a Marine like that. I guess I'll find out after posting this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
See plenty in every academy we run. It also depends on what their MOS was.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Some guys use guns for work and don't get all into the hobby of it.  They use them and are very proficient with them, but don't care to know the make/model of every gun made.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, I was a gun guy before I went to PI.  My bunkie had never fired a gun prior to boot camp.  Most likely, never fired one after EAS.  It takes all kinds, but the by a huge margin, most Marines I know, are into guns in some shape, form, or fashion.
My bunkie?  The bastard out shot me on qual day.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I was army infantry. Somehow my platoon sergeant was carrying one of those around one day. I was the only person in the platoon who knew what it was.

Just because someone was military doesn't mean they are gun guys or know jack shit about anything outside of what they were issued.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If you were air wing like myself you never saw guns except for boot camp and yearly range qualifications. When I did guard duty we did a few rounds with a pump shotgun and a .45 just as familiarization, but other than that we wern't ever around them. So I can see that he might not have a love of guns, and so wouldn't recognize what was in the pic. Especially because those rifles have been modified.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
As stated above, depends on MOS.  However, most Marines have never actually seen an M14 in a Sage stock.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew lots of marines that didnt care about guns. Issued rifle was just the same as the 782 gear. Just another issued tool.

Never met any that were against guns.

The rifles pictured are Army rifles, don't think they are even issued to Marines.

I'd love to make my wife's M1a into a clone, but I'm poor and  she said no
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That is not a rifle commonly issued most Marines. I am not surprised he doesn't know what it is.

I bet he does not know the color of the boat house at Parris Island either!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I know way too many Fudds who also happen to be discharged Jarheads...
I will never understand it.  I could not wait to get my own AR when I got out..
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How common are Marines who are unfamiliar with guns? What about Marines who simply don't like guns or want nothing to do with them (not counting those who relate bad memories/experiences with guns)?

E.G.: My friend's dating a Marine, active from 2010-14 and says he went to Afghan once and to Iraq once. He doesn't know what type of gun this is nor has ever seen one:

http://immortaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/EMR_1.jpg

He wants nothing to do with guns and never talks about the military or his service. He also doesn't strike me as a low-key, I've-seen-some-shit-and-don't-want-to-talk-about-it type either. Everything about him seems off. Maybe it is common and I just haven't had the pleasure to meet a Marine like that. I guess I'll find out after posting this.
View Quote

FWIW, even my RETIRED pogue ass knows that:

A) Each of those is a M-14, in a Sage International EBR stock.

B) Most often, the only time an Active Duty Marine is likely to ever see an M-14 of any variety , is as a traditionally stocked, and demil'd, color guard rifle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Joined in 2010 and went to Iraq

Not saying it isn't possible, but just well after most units were going. 3 months boot camp, 1 month MCT, 1 month MOS would put him hitting the fleet around 2011. That time frame just about everyone was going to Afghanistan. My buddy was with 3/9 when they did a 3 month tour to Iraq and came home in 2009.

Not calling him out just saying.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad went to Vietnam twice as a Marine (63 and 64). He told me as a kid that he had had his fill of guns in the Marines. He kept a 20 gauge for home defense, but other than that he didn't shoot for fun.

He did however take the time to teach me.  He took me bird hunting and bought me a .22 when he thought i was old enough. He even suggested a summer business, which I set up. For a fee I would pick up the rich Atlanta Fudd hunter's deer rifles, take them to the range, and sight them in.  I made a nice, tidy sum that summer and got to shoot some pretty sweet bolt guns.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
To be fair, not every military person is going to see a rifle like that, and they might not see the M14 dressed up in the SAGE stock.

My unit had 12 of them over in Iraq. Nobody was allowed to have them though because nobody was trained on them. I told them I had the exact same setup at home. No-Go. I'm still mad about that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Baby boomer here.  I knew a lot of dads who were combat veterans who would not allow firearms in their house,   The guy across the street who was a Marine saw a lot of combat in WWII and to him firearms brought back a lot of bad memories.  He would not even allow his sons to get BB guns.  But he did build some awesome muscle cars with them when they got older.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Just because they are military doesn't mean they will know shit about firearms.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I would wager that 80% of the Marines I sell guns/parts to at work don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
At the place I started working at 6 months ago, there is a ex-Marine there that doesn't like guns. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#18]
We call them POGs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just because they are military doesn't mean they will know shit about firearms.
View Quote

No question, I think many non-military people on this website would be better with their guns than most common Marines or Soldiers. Because everyone here takes shooting and owning guns as a serious hobby and we try to dissect everything about how the AR15 and other guns operate and work.

Same thing with like the Police who only qualify on their guns like maybe twice a year. Versus many guys here who expend live rounds every week.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Realistically 3/4 of them will join not knowing anything about firearms. It's dependent on their MOS.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]
He sounds a little fishy to me. Not because he doesn't know guns part though. Could be a poser that never left the States.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I was an airwinger for five years and towards the end of that enlistment we had a few grunts lat move into our squadron.  Surprisingly, they only knew about their issued weapons systems and that was it.  All of them may have had a shotgun or pistol at home but none of them were into it as a hobby.

ETA - I met plenty of libtards in the wing and a good bunch that had no interest in firearms whatsoever.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that in it of itself, but I mean come on... we're supposed to be Marines (kinda, air wingers and all)...
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Most Marines are not gun people.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Military service does automatically mean someone is gun savvy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He sounds a little fishy to me. Not because he doesn't know guns part though. Could be a poser that never left the States.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking. I understand not knowing what gun that is in that picture and not being a gun person as a veteran, but those were just the icing on the cake.

I don't really know if he claims he went to Iraq, he hasn't told me anything about his service and I feel like he doesn't want to. My friend (his girlfriend) is the one who told me he went to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I work with a handful of other veterans, Marines included. I have numerous veteran and active duty friends. There's all of them, and then there's him. He has a Facebook and the only thing on there that's military related is one status update saying that he just signed his DD214.

I'm not sure if I should pursue this further or if that would just create useless drama.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not even remotely unusual.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

that would just create useless drama.
View Quote

Unless you are the veteran's service officer and/or recruiter from the local VFW, and he's trying to get something, that nailed it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Unless you are the veteran's service officer and/or recruiter from the local VFW, and he's trying to get something, that nailed it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but to play the other side, he's dating my good friend. If he's lying to her about stupid shit like going overseas when he didn't, what else could he lie about in the future?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Most Marines I've known were generally into more of the service to country part than the playing with guns part.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Why hasn't somebody posted this standard military saying.

"This is my rifle,  

This is my gun,

This is for shooting.

This is for fun"

I watched a private shout that for about 20 minutes while holding his rifle aloft and squeezing his crotch per the DI instructions.

With the repeal of DADT, I would think there would be an abundance of "pro-gun marines".

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#32]
My nephew was in the Army I believe in artillery and  just retired from NYPD and I saw him a few years ago for the first time in a while.  I started talking to him about Mosins and whatever firearm I was in at that particular time.  I grew up with him and his brother and he was always a gun kid but he really had no interest whatsoever in the guns I was talking about or any guns for that matter except as a tool for his job.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I knew lots of marines that didnt care about guns. Issued rifle was just the same as the 782 gear. Just another issued tool.

Never met any that were against guns.

The rifles pictured are Army rifles, don't think they are even issued to Marines.

I'd love to make my wife's M1a into a clone, but I'm poor and  she said no
View Quote

You have a good wife. And wood looks better. See?

Speaking of non-gun guy/Fudds being in my beloved Corps, I have re-sprung a Rem 700's bolt on one of the desks in the S-3,  after diagnosing one of the navigator CWO4's complaints about his deer rifle repeatedly not going "bang" in the previous season. I could've had a good rifle real cheap, but $7 in parts later, he was on his way, with an admonishment to not leave the rifle's striker cocked all through the off-season.  

I was also the one who SgtMaj had the color guard Marines see for lessons on how to dis- and re-assemble and clean the color guard M-14s    

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's not even remotely unusual.
View Quote

All the best rumors came from the military. The bullet tumbles in flight, a .50 round passing by takes off limbs, .30 carbine can't penetrate a quilted cotton coat...
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got a great friend who was a Marine Corpsman in Vietnam who doesn't care for them. Has a couple but could care less about them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, when I was in boot camp the drill instructor said charge the weapon while teaching us how to do a function test for the first time, and I was like fuck, this thing takes batteries. Thankfully I kept my mouth shut and didn't ask for batteries or where the button was to charge it. Later on I found out almost everyone was thinking the same thing.
M14 in a sage stock is a giant POS, the levers for the cheek rest are garbage and break, and the the flimsy plastic hand guard will also find it's way off, resulting in a very uncomfortable fat stock.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
True, but to play the other side, he's dating my good friend. If he's lying to her about stupid shit like going overseas when he didn't, what else could he lie about in the future?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He could be a clerk, sitting in supply on Bagram or Al Asad, all that time, and he'd still have been overseas.    

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#38]
How many former Marines do you see out and about that are fat and out of shape? At one time in their lives they had to meet a certain standard, now no one is making them do that. Same thing applies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've got a great friend who was a Marine Corpsman in Vietnam who doesn't care for them. Has a couple but could care less about them.
View Quote

Not possible. Either he was a Marine, or a corpsman. Corpsmen are Navy medical personnel, similar to army medics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://immortaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/EMR_1.jpg

FWIW, even my RETIRED pogue ass knows that:

A) Each of those is a M-14, in a Sage International EBR stock.  

B) Most often, the only time an Active Duty Marine is likely to ever see an M-14 of any variety , is as a traditionally stocked, and demil'd, color guard rifle.

The only one I ever saw that worked was to show us the importance of not being lazy with sand bags. It was used along with an M16 to show us the distance a round would go through wet and dry sand bags and ammo cans filled with sand. I also saw some while on the USS shitpan used the by the navy guys to shoot a line to a supply ship.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

See plenty in every academy we run. It also depends on what their MOS was.
View Quote
Yea. A job's a job's a job to some people.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't know what type of gun it was. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a life
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

How many former Marines do you see out and about that are fat and out of shape? At one time in their lives they had to meet a certain standard, now no one is making them do that. Same thing applies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I was air wing 79 to 85. Rarely saw a weapon after boot camp. Got stuck on a detail to clean m14s at the armory. They had been used for a funeral. We were like WTF do we do with these? Had to use some kind of nasty solvent (MEK maybe) that turned the black guys hands white. The armory guy was a real prick too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not possible. Either he was a Marine, or a corpsman. Corpsmen are Navy medical personnel, similar to army medics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just means FMF Corpsman, I hope.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

... The armory guy was a real prick too.

View Quote

AFAIK, they're recruited for that quality. Later, they're taught to fingerfuck everyone's personally owned weapons that have to be stored in the armory.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Marine Corpsman? No such thing......
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you were air wing like myself you never saw guns except for boot camp and yearly range qualifications. When I did guard duty we did a few rounds with a pump shotgun and a .45 just as familiarization, but other than that we wern't ever around them. So I can see that he might not have a love of guns, and so wouldn't recognize what was in the pic. Especially because those rifles have been modified.
View Quote

Came in to post this. Another air winger here. Luckily I was a gun guy before I ever went to boot camp.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

x2 hes full of shit. Boot camp, mct, mos school, pre-deployment workup, AND a deployment in 2010? Yeah right.

The pullout was in 2011, and we were already drawing down heavily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joined in 2010 and went to Iraq

Not saying it isn't possible, but just well after most units were going. 3 months boot camp, 1 month MCT, 1 month MOS would put him hitting the fleet around 2011. That time frame just about everyone was going to Afghanistan. My buddy was with 3/9 when they did a 3 month tour to Iraq and came home in 2009.

Not calling him out just saying.

x2 hes full of shit. Boot camp, mct, mos school, pre-deployment workup, AND a deployment in 2010? Yeah right.

The pullout was in 2011, and we were already drawing down heavily.

General Tryon retired home with the last Marines in the spring of 2010.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top