Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/27/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
Local gunstore was having a sale on 1022's.
I recently traded mine off & needed one.
I go in, ask for the $199.00 1022 & am handed a blue steel 1022 with nice walnut stock.
Is this the 199.00 1022?
yes
I'll take it. Let's do this.
fill out 4733 go to cash register & it rings up at $279.00
Salesman oks override & I walk out with rifle for $199.00 & tax.($228.99)
30 mins later I get a phone call saying I have wrong rifle. The rifle was never out of my sight during the entire transaction.
I tell them I'll check my reciept. If it matches,( and I know it does,) they have my money & I have my rifle.
I then get a phone call from the salesman trying to guilt me into to bringing it back. "I'll have to make up the difference." he whine s
on the message. They're acting like I stole the rifle! I decide I've had enough of this crap & call the store to ask for the owner. At this point I just want my money back so I drive back to the store, complain to the manager & let him hear the pathetic insulting message his salesman left me. "What do you want me to do?" he asks, "Have the store eat the difference?". I told the manager he can refund my money & I'll take my business elsewhere. Also I'll tell everyone I know about what and how this happened. (I was planning on buying at least 2 more 1022's).
Looks like he saved the business about $50 but lost at least 3 sales. I told the manager I expected the owner to contact me Monday. We'll see if I get a call from the owner. (My wife knows the owners wife.)
Really too bad, that 1022 had a really purty stock. Guess I'll just get one online.
Should I have just kept the rifle & blew off the phone calls? The salesman did sell me that rifle for $199.00. Of course I do believe in Karma so maybe I did do the right thing.
Hessian-1

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Bye Felicia
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
TLDR:

OP did the right thing.

Store staff were dicks, and it cost them future business.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd tell the salesman to pound sand. Deal was made and paid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]

the salesman made a mistake.  you didn't know a mistake was made until they notified you. You did nothing wrong.

My business would have ate the difference and chalked it up on the lesson learned board.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My business would have ate the difference and chalked it up on the lesson learned board.

View Quote

Exactly. A business, well a good business, cannot tell their customer that they screwed up and want more money after a deal is done.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
15% sales tax?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
How did it shoot?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have kept it and never gone back for being whiney bitches.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
No fucking way would I have given it back. And I still wouldn't have shopped there again.

Dicks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No fucking way would I have given it back. And I still wouldn't have shopped there again.

Dicks.
View Quote

Ed Zachary
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
15% sales tax?
View Quote

9% tax
$10 background check
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.
If you would have paid for the $300 dollar one and walked out with the $200 dollar one, you think they would have chased you down to correct the issue?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

+2
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

9% tax
$10 background check
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
15% sales tax?

9% tax
$10 background check

That shits not included when you're buying from them?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

9% tax
$10 background check
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
15% sales tax?

9% tax
$10 background check

They charge $10 to make a phone call, for a gun they already sold you.

ETA: fuck that place
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting situation...

Did you have to pass and pay-for a background check?

I would have said, "I left with the rifle you sold me."

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
People make mistakes and I would hate to see a salesmen pay for one if the owner was going to make him eat the difference, but I doubt that would
happen in this case.

I think if the sales guy was a douche I would have said sorry but I have been shooting the crap out of it since I got home and you cannot
sell a used gun as new soooo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#19]
It rang up at $279 and he hit override? Sounds like it should be your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
if your wife knows the owners wife, it sounds like time to get some staff fired.

If I owned that place, I'd fire both the salesman and the manager.  The saleman for harassing a customer for a mistake he made (making my business look bad, not taking responsibility for his own actions), and the manager for not taking decisive action to ensure that future sales weren't lost due to customer irritation.

This can't be the first time this has happened.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Why would he have had to make up the difference?

Was there, in fact, a 10/22 on sale for 199 bucks there?  Where did you see the ad for this?

I'm getting bait and switch spider sense vibes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Still getting my head around the store manager asking a customer "What do you want me to do, make up the difference?" As though it was the customers fault that the salesman told him $199 and rang it out for $199.

The level of customer service in this day and age is disgusting. The other day in a Kroger store, I needed to pick up a few things and on the way to the register, I found one of the packages of food was open off the shelf, a tear in the plastic, nothing major, but open. I was just out of the aisle and saw an employee and told them about it. They told me to take it to customer service. I said "No, you're an employee and this is a defective product, I am giving it to you to take care of." She looked at me with a stunned look of surprise and then walked off like it was my fault. You don't make a customer take defective products to another area halfway across the store, you take care of it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I would have shot a few hundred rounds out of it, and returned it dirty.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Once he overrode the price that's their problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't get why they wanted him to just return the rifle rather than exchange it for the one that was actually on sale.

Unless there wasn't one on sale for that price and it was just bait and switch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a clerk in a gun shop make a $100 error in my favor once.

I didn't realize it until I got home and began looking over the paperwork.

I went back and showed the manager what happened, and gave them their $100 back.

They thanked me for my honesty.

Was I being a chump by doing that?  Should I have just kept my mouth shut?

Some might say yes.  My conscience would have bothered me though.

The clerk who made the mistake was a Vietnam vet, and I was afraid the guy might get fired once the error was discovered.

No way did I want that on my conscience.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I go in, ask for the $199.00 1022 & am handed a blue steel 1022 with nice walnut stock.
Is this the 199.00 1022?
yes
30 mins later I get a phone call saying I have wrong rifle. The rifle was never out of my sight during the entire transaction.
I tell them I'll check my reciept. If it matches,( and I know it does,) they have my money & I have my rifle.
I then get a phone call from the salesman trying to guilt me into to bringing it back. "I'll have to make up the difference." he whine s
on the message. They're acting like I stole the rifle! I decide I've had enough of this crap & call the store to ask for the owner. At this point I just want my money back so I drive back to the store, complain to the manager & let him hear the pathetic insulting message his salesman left me. "What do you want me to do?" he asks, "Have the store eat the difference?". I told the manager he can refund my money & I'll take my business elsewhere. Also I'll tell everyone I know about what and how this happened. (I was planning on buying at least 2 more 1022's).
Looks like he saved the business about $50 but lost at least 3 sales. I told the manager I expected the owner to contact me Monday. We'll see if I get a call from the owner. (My wife knows the owners wife.)
Really too bad, that 1022 had a really purty stock. Guess I'll just get one online.
Should I have just kept the rifle & blew off the phone calls? The salesman did sell me that rifle for $199.00. Of course I do believe in Karma so maybe I did do the right thing.
Hessian-1

View Quote

Did you know it was a more expensive version, that's why you asked?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I had a clerk in a gun shop make a $100 error in my favor once.

I didn't realize it until I got home and began looking over the paperwork.

I went back and showed the manager what happened, and gave them their $100 back.

They thanked me for my honesty.

Was I being a chump by doing that?  Should I have just kept my mouth shut?

Some might say yes.  My conscience would have bothered me though.

The clerk who made the mistake was a Vietnam vet, and I was afraid the guy might get fired once the error was discovered.

No way did I want that on my conscience.
View Quote
I would have given you a $100 store credit.  That would have made me feel that you were rewarded for your honesty and you feel like you were taken care of properly.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the 199.00 1022?
yes
Hessian-1

what else is he supposed to do?  he asked and was told otherwise.  if he had let it go unnoticed, that would be one thing.  he tried to point it out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't get why they wanted him to just return the rifle rather than exchange it for the one that was actually on sale.

Unless there wasn't one on sale for that price and it was just bait and switch.
View Quote

I thought this also so I asked the manager to see the $199.00 rifle. He brought one out, I thought about it and after all the BS I decided on a refund. Perhaps I should email this thread to the business owner. I still want/need a 1022. I just won't buy it from "them."
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I found that a good gunshop that knows your face is a nice thing.  I made a lowball offer on a shotgun once and the owner said he knows I've purchased several from him in the past so he accepted it.  All told I've purchased 8 guns at that shop, and a lot more money spent on reloading stuff over the years.

It's worth the hassle and make sure you shop there again, they'll appreciate it and should show the appreciation down the road.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#36]
$100.00 isn't going to make or brake a stores monthly numbers, but it sure as hell can establish its reputation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the 199.00 1022?
yes
Hessian-1

I asked for the $199.00 1022. He indicated that it was the $199.00 1022. I really didn't care if it was high speed low drag or whatever. He commented several times about the pretty wood & I asked if this was the $199.00 gun. He assured me it was. I need a 1022 to put in a choate folder, or not. I switch out barrels, stocks, sights, etc. Bottom line, I filled out paperwork on that gun, which was represented as the $199.00 ruger. I paid what they asked & left the store with the gun. Transaction complete. They then called me. Insulted me. (Implied that I had some how "gotten over on them" & asked me to "do the right thing" because the salesman would have to "make it up.")
That's ok though. I plan to continue "doing the right thing" and will vote with my wallet & encourage others to do the same. I'm tired of the petty BS I'll just buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Once I did the 4473, it's my weapon with my name on it and it is not coming back.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I would have kept the rifle. They sold it to you for $200, not your fault they meant to charge you more.

ETA: What's the store?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Did you ask them how they were going to handle the 4473?  Are they going to cancel it or can they even do that?  Once the 4473 is approved and gun was paid for it was yours. As to the money I would have waited till Monday and spoke to the owner before I returned the rifle, if I returned rifle that is.  You asked the salesman if it was the $199 version and he assured you it was and he changed the price so its on him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#43]
So were they going to falsify that 4733 when you brought the gun  back or they did?
And they charged you $10 to sell you a gun?
No fucken way would I have given those crooks back my, after doing the paper work, 1022.  
When I buy a gun from somebody, the paper work is a given.  
Actually never heard of that before either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I would have told them to get fucked. Once that rifle leaves the store it is used. A hundred dollars is chump change compared to advertising your business as fucked up as they are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would have kept the rifle. They sold it to you for $200, not your fault they meant to charge you more.

ETA: What's the store?
View Quote

I'm not saying until if/after I talk to the owner on Monday.

It's not like I was buying a toilet brush, it was a serialized item!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I would tell them to eat me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Think about it.. Would that work the other way around..?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#48]
store-"Sir, we seem to have sold you the wrong rifle"

you- "oh, really ?...well.. im at the range, just put 500 rnds through her,"......"still want it back ?"

store-"nevermind sir."
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag for what the owner has to say.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Did you ask them how they were going to handle the 4473?  Are they going to cancel it or can they even do that?  Once the 4473 is approved and gun was paid for it was yours. As to the money I would have waited till Monday and spoke to the owner before I returned the rifle, if I returned rifle that is.  You asked the salesman if it was the $199 version and he assured you it was and he changed the price so its on him.
View Quote
The moment that gun comes back, it gets entered in the log book as if Op sold it back to them.

Nothing to cancel.

Op should get the $$$ from the background check and tax with his refund.

I would speak with the owner though.  This was poor business practice.  All this noise for how much again?  Between social media and word of mouth, this could cost them way more.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top