Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 9/21/2014 3:41:18 PM EDT
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

Eta: low

Eta: When I said, "...break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight" I meant, given a normal combat armament and fuel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

View Quote

Guess laying off the crack pipe hasn't worked out well for you?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that <insert sarcastic insult> response.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
<That's Nice Honey> gif
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Where, oh where, is Valheru when we need him?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do believe your shit's fucked up and you went full retard.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

And your statements come from your base knowledge of:

1. Military Pilot
2. Military Aircraft Maintainer
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You earned it with the bullshit you posted. You wanted to provoke a response with that post, so why are you complaining?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
In Before Familiar
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you flown in one before?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
F/A-18's redeeming attribute is being able to fly twice a day, 7 days a week for weeks on end. F-14 was never that reliable and was lucky to fly 3-4 times a week.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not really all that knowledgeable about the plane.

However your rant is very concise and in my experience, very concise rants about airplanes are 99% based on emotion and not facts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Know how I know you're gay?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing "wrong" with the SHornet is that the 26,000 lb thrust engine wasn't funded in the early 2000's because the Navy got suckered by the F-35 cabal. ( shades of the F-14B getting canceled )

It looks like the Navy will finally fund the better engine in the next year or two as part of a Block3 upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was with A+,C an D and all were fantastic aircraft!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was with A+,C an D and all were fantastic aircraft!

And I fucked that up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Considering that the US Navy is doing most of the bombing overseas right now... it seems to be doing that well.

Also, Advanced Super Hornet  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Right... F-14 was a single-mission aircraft and almost never carried a load of Phoenix missiles because they were too heavy to bring back to the carrier.  The Standard missile fills that role now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
... grrrr, fuqk ewe ahh soul
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
And BTW I have seen the F/A-18 A+ handle a Viper like it was child's play!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm all for a updated F-4       those kicked ass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Where did the OP run off to?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Because the F/A-18 is the only aircraft that can drop a JDAM.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm all for a updated F-4       those kicked ass.
View Quote

f-4 9G's is not the same a modern Fighter/Attack 9G's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#28]
If I were to ask the two F-18 pilots sitting here right now, I'm guessing they'd say you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen this happen in person.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regards less of your emotions, the F/A-18's only A2A advantage (against the f-16) is electronic. His only hope WVR would be to get the fight slow and horizontal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Regards less of your emotions, the F/A-18's only A2A advantage (against the f-16) is electronic. His only hope WVR would be to get the fight slow and horizontal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What games or movies are you basing your opinion on?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm still curious what background the OP claims, which he bases his opening statements on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#36]
So you're telling me that a wing that's good at low speeds produces a lot of drag?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once heard both described like comparing an 8 track tape to a DVD
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Replace with A-10?

In
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
F/A-18's redeeming attribute is being able to fly twice a day, 7 days a week for weeks on end. F-14 was never that reliable and was lucky to fly 3-4 times a week.
View Quote

You sir are full of shit.  We flew F-14's from the boat while underway from morning till late at night, day in day out.  Launch,  recover,  refuel,  ect.  Where do you get your data from?  I was there.  You?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Go back to your video games kid. Also wish you hadn't recently joined our forum to share your "insights" with us.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm still curious what background the OP claims, which he bases his opening statements on.
View Quote

Transport Crew Chief is my guess.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So you're telling me that a wing that's good at low speeds produces a lot of drag?
View Quote

Yes, that is my point.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#43]
OST for fighter bomber goodness
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Where, oh where, is Valheru when we need him?
View Quote

That's a good question.  Where is he?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because in his new video game the F18 totally blows. He knows this from first hand experience. He upgraded his jet and realized first hand just how awful it is. The same must obviously be true IRL. right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt he's got any experience with aviation beyond pausing Top Gun during the volleyball scene.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You sir are full of shit.  We flew F-14's from the boat while underway from morning till late at night, day in day out.  Launch,  recover,  refuel,  ect.  Where do you get your data from?  I was there.  You?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In his defense maintenance hours to flight hours were high towards the end.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Go back to playing video games, kid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao. you actually think he's in the service? I wasn't going that far. My guess he's been given a promise of flight school by a recruiter, thus making him an expert.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Doesn't mean it's not awesome!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top