Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/19/2014 2:27:56 PM EDT

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter’s birthday present — leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter’s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Marshall, an accomplished baritone saxophone player, was pedaling a pricey Jamis Eclipse racing bike when he spotted the woman in the crosswalk at an intersection controlled by a traffic light, sources said.

"He was riding in the car lane and yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!'" one source said.

It was unclear who had the light, but Marshall — who remained at the scene — "admits to being in the wrong lane," the source added.

Marshall was at the Central Park Precinct station house Thursday night and cops were talking to the Manhattan DA’s Office about possible charges.

View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/19/woman-brain-dead-after-getting-hit-by-high-speed-cyclist-in-central-park/
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter’s birthday present — leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter’s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Marshall, an accomplished baritone saxophone player, was pedaling a pricey Jamis Eclipse racing bike when he spotted the woman in the crosswalk at an intersection controlled by a traffic light, sources said.

"He was riding in the car lane and yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!'" one source said.

It was unclear who had the light, but Marshall — who remained at the scene — "admits to being in the wrong lane," the source added.

Marshall was at the Central Park Precinct station house Thursday night and cops were talking to the Manhattan DA’s Office about possible charges.

View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/19/woman-brain-dead-after-getting-hit-by-high-speed-cyclist-in-central-park/
View Quote

Ya know, in the parks around here, you have to dismount and walk your bike in the ped zones.  Pretty stiff fines too if you dont.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ban assault bikes for the children.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
And the mothers
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
i predict epic bikesnobnyc
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

"No honest man needs more than 3 speeds."
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
$4,000 racing bike?!?!

Man, sure sounds like how they advertise salt weapons

I can see the next SAFE act... ban RACING BIKES!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
That's an interesting twist to the usual narrative.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Speed limit for bikes is 25mph in the park.  Combined with not yielding to pedestrians, I'd agree in charging him same as if he were driving a car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had a problem with cyclist but I've been encountering a higher than normal level of ass holes on bikes recently. Last weekend I watched one give a car the finger because it drove by him in the right lane and he wanted to ride in the right lane instead of the bike lane.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My DIL was struck by a cyclist while visiting NYC in November last year.

She  was in a cross-walk when mowed down by a thoughtless clown.  NY turd never stopped to see what damage had been done.

She was injured.

gd
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Vehicular Homicide?

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
$4K racing bike...oh my.

Actually that's probably about a mid-entry level bike at that price range.  But hey, anything to sauce up the story.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone is about to get raped.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wife of a CBS executive. That's exactly what they will do. Might take 5 years, but they will try to control every last aspect of our lives.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Terrible accident.

Had an old friend get hit by a truck while riding her bike in NYC 2 weeks ago and passed away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if she was texting and not paying attention?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#22]
A dick on a bike.  I can't stand those guys.  Nothing against people on bikes, but some of the extreme bikers are real dicks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

And then let your lawyer handle his worries about having to spend $4K on a bicycle ever again...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.
View Quote

First clue NYC, second clue bicycle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Similar case happened in San Francisco in 2012.  

Cyclist plead guilty to vehicular manslaughter and received 3 years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Bicyclist-sentenced-for-fatal-S-F-crash-4736312.php
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Cyclists just got a law passed where they must be given 3 feet of clearance from drivers on roadways. Maybe pedestrians should get a 3 feet clearance law from cyclists now.

...or better yet, maybe cyclists should just stop expecting everyone to appease them and watch where the fuck they are going, stay the fuck out of the way and realise they do not own every fucking sidewalk, trail, road and street any more than anyone else.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder if she was texting and not paying attention?
View Quote

Even if she was, the bicyclist is still at fault.  He should have ditched the bike instead of hitting her.  His speeding in a park is nothing short of wanton reckless conduct that resulted in vehicular manslaughter.  He needs some time out in prison.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus if he had enough time to yell at her to get out of the crosswalk, he had enough time to slow down.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Need some more facts before commenting.  If he was traveling on a green light and she was in a crosswalk crossing his path, and that crosswalk had signals and the signal governing her movement was a steady RED HAND then its her fault.  If he was disobeying any traffic signal then its his fault.  If there were no signals, but rather just a painted crosswalk and only a lookout sign, then I'd default to the law which means he would have been liable to stop for pedestrians in that crosswalk.

So much for "looking both ways" before crossing though.  One should never ASSUME oncoming traffic will stop.  You can be legally in the right, but that doesn't stop you from being legally brain dead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Someone is about to get raped.
View Quote

I hope it isn't me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]
He needs to be charged as if he was driving a car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
speed equals entitlement
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#33]
The irony of responses in this thread and the three feet rule thread is palpable

"Ride on the sidewalk! "" Vehicular manslaughter! "

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Death by snu snu
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Part of me wishes the husband of the woman could be given a baseball bat and 5 uninterrupted minutes with the cyclist.  I'd let the cyclist live, but deprive him forever of the use of his arms and legs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, it's only fair if they want to be treated like cars.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't know just anyone could drive a car through Central Park on the walkways

Oh. Bikes are only the same as cars when it's convenient
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#38]
should be charged as if was driving a vahicle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The irony of responses in this thread and the three feet rule thread is palpable

View Quote

I don't know of many people who would endorse a motorist speeding through a cross walk while a cyclist is walking his bike across.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Who had the light? Don't pedestrians in a cross walk always have the right of way?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#41]
what relevance does the price of the bike bring to the story?

what if it was a $40 Saturday night special Craigslist special?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't know of many people who would endorse a motorist speeding through a cross walk while a cyclist is walking his bike across.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the three feet thread I learned I should be riding my bike on sidewalks at 20+mph
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Who had the light? Don't pedestrians in a cross walk always have the right of way?
View Quote

Not if perpendicular traffic has a green
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didn't know just anyone could drive a car through Central Park on the walkways

Oh. Bikes are only the same as cars when it's convenient
View Quote

The roads in the park are open to automobile traffic sometimes. New York's experience with bicyclists can be pretty bad. The bike messengers who used to run over pedestrians on the sidewalks led to a lot of the hate.

But, my experience with New York City pedestrians is that no matter how stupid the drivers and bikers may be, the walkers are on a mission to prove that they also live on Planet Moron.

No one says who had the light, so it's not possible to decide who was at fault.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In the three feet thread I learned I should be riding my bike on sidewalks at 20+mph
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think what you saw in that thread was the negative reaction that inconsiderate and sometimes reckless cyclists like this particular one causes people to have.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Bicycle rider not charged in Central Park collision that put pedestrian on ventilator

The biker who plowed into a pedestrian in Central Park and left her critically injured has been released and has not been charged with a crime, police said Friday.
View Quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bicycle-rider-charged-central-park-collision-put-pedestrian-ventilator-article-1.1945604
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Oddly enough, "New York's alright (if you like saxophones)" by Fear just started playing in my playlist
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
what relevance does the price of the bike bring to the story?

what if it was a $40 Saturday night special Craigslist special?
View Quote

Because a person with a 4k bike should have the skills and brains to use it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Plus if he had enough time to yell at her to get out of the crosswalk, he had enough time to slow down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. A $4,000 racing bike probably comes equipped with brakes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
$4,000 racing bike?!?!

Man, sure sounds like how they advertise salt weapons

I can see the next SAFE act... ban RACING BIKES!
View Quote

$4k racing bikes are more evil than $120 Wal-Mart bikes you know.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top