Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/17/2014 10:28:46 PM EDT
I was born and raised very rural, grew up on a farm, I can't see my neighbors from my house and I have a big pasture across the road and woods all around me.

I did live in the village where I went to college, but it was a town slightly larger than my own, so it wasn't much of a stretch and our apartment still had a large yard and off street parking.

One thing I never got to experience (for the good or the bad) was actually living in a city. I don't mean a ghetto, but just a nice clean urban area. I love where I am, but I do wonder how nice it would be to just leave the building and be able to skate or bike, or be within walking distance to shops and places to eat. Or how nice it would be to not have a 60 mile drive for work on any given day.

So people that live urban, is it really that terrible? I know I would be wanting to come back to the woods eventually, but I do sort of regret not getting a chance to experience it when I was still college age or in my early 20's, and probably never will now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell with a side of traffic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What if you don't have to drive though?

Say you live within walking or biking distance to work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say you've never gotten to experience urban life....

I've never been raped by an angry and rabid gorilla.

Sometimes the things we haven't experienced are best left alone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
No more pissing off your porch
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Buenos Aires for 6 months. It was awesome. It is definitely a change though. I was in heaven when I got back home afterward and just hopped in my truck and drove instead of waiting for a bus or subway, or hailing a cab.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Trash pick up is nice
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I lasted 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In general, that means paying an arm and a leg or living in less than desirable areas or sometimes both.

There are many reasons people tolerate long commutes in horrible traffic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No more pissing off your porch
View Quote

That is a very valid concern, I made a record sized circle of dead grass this year.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
It sucks. Some people adapt to it, but they usually suck to be around. It's crowded, privacy is an illusion, and you have to drive miles to do anything worth doing, like shooting or offroading.

I can't wait to get out of the city.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never lived in an American city, only outside of the US.  A lot depends on the city, the quality of the public transportation, and the people.  it is very expensive for what you get - people pay a premium for the lifestyle.

When it's nice, it can be really nice.  Having a great restaurant literally in your building, a grocery store across the street, and a dry cleaners a block away can really spoil you - as can never having to worry about drinking and driving, or things like that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I will live under a freeway overpass before I would live in a condo/apartment again
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It sucks. Some people adapt to it, but they usually suck to be around. It's crowded, privacy is an illusion, and you have to drive miles to do anything worth doing, like shooting or offroading.

I can't wait to get out of the city.
View Quote

I can do both down the road from my house, but I have to drive miles to skateboard or play basketball.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I lived in Manhattan for a bit. It was awesome. I might go back.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#16]
define "city"
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I've lived in both environments, there's a reason I live in a rural area now. For a younger, single guy a more urban area has more opportunity for fun but when you have a family rural is the way to go IMO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I've lived in the suburbs my whole life. I work in DC but would never, ever want to live there or any city. The money is great and that is about it. When I do retire, it will be in a place where only trees surround me instead of people. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It's survival. You live day to day. City streets don't have much pity.

When you're down, that's where you'll stay. Nothing grows, life ain't very pretty. No one's there to catch you when you fall.

Kind of a concrete version of GD.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
define "city"
View Quote

I can't really, my idea of a big city when I was a kid was Ithaca, I have never really been to a huge one except driving through NYC once.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]
It's nice that I can walk to good bars and stuff but other than that; people everywhere, traffic and living in an apartment sucks ass.

I just bought a house out in the sticks and commute now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I lived in NYC for over a decade.  Aside from not being able to have my guns there, it was actually pretty nice.  Great restaurants, bars and clubs all over the place, and LOTS of hot women.  There was tons of stuff to do - biking in the parks, gyms, rock climbing, weekly farmers markets.  Fairly easy access to the LI beaches.  Just about every band does NYC, so plenty of opportunities to see live shows and concerts.  Several major comedy clubs.  At my building, we had a rooftop garden - great rooftop parties in the summer overlooking the Statue of Liberty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Entertainment options, dining options, things to purchase, just generally more to do and more people to do things with.

Sure there is lots of crap, shallow things and shallow people out there.  But in a large metropolitan area you can find high quality, unique things also if you seek them out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

Wrong.

Close to friends. Close to bars. Close to all the ball fields I like to play. Never have to fight rush hour traffic, I drive the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Born and raised very rural.  Went to a university with 40K students in a town just shy of 100K.  Now I live in the downtown of a city of 200K and a metro area of 1MM.

Here's what I'll say.  Convenience, yes it's nice.  I can walk to a Walgreens or Subway in literally a minute.  But the grocery store that is a mile away?  That's a ten minute+ drive and traffic sucks.  Back home it was three miles and three minutes to drive.  Meanwhile, crime and theft are a constant worry.  Back home it was never a concern and nothing was locked.  People, neighbors, noise, all things I hate.  Oh the good?  Right, well um... nothing really.  I mean I wouldn't want to move so far away that it would be a pain to get into the city for the restaurants and entertainment because that is nice, but I will be moving back to the country the moment my year long lease is up here.  Screw urban living, bout got into a fistfight with a neighbor because my car tire was an inch in their yard/off my driveway.  The driveway is only 8ft wide buddy, FO.  

Thanks for the reminder OP, I have to be in the country come May.

Oh the other good, I can bike to my downtown office.  And it is nice to work downtown, driving in would be a pain everyday though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I lived in NYC for over a decade.  Aside from not being able to have my guns there, it was actually pretty nice.  Great restaurants, bars and clubs all over the place, and LOTS of hot women.  There was tons of stuff to do - biking in the parks, gyms, rock climbing, weekly farmers markets.  Fairly easy access to the LI beaches.  Just about every band does NYC, so plenty of opportunities to see live shows and concerts.  Several major comedy clubs.  At my building, we had a rooftop garden - great rooftop parties in the summer overlooking the Statue of Liberty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you my real estate agent?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#28]
There is nothing to do.

I lived in a city for over 20 years. Couldn't wait to leave.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Hong Kong and Tokyo were pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to live in super crowded cities like that for a long time.  Definitely no shortage of fun nightlife, great food, etc.  

Sometimes having to take trains everywhere gets old, but it is really nice when you are drunk.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#30]
It seems to me that people either love it or absolutely hate it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Only thing i can say is when the shit hits the fan  do you want to be in a city?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on the city. The only large city that I've spent a lot of time in, meaning enough time to judge the quality of life,  is Hiroshima, Japan. This was 30 years ago, but even then, it was a pretty active and vibrant place to live. Everything you need is within walking distance, or a short trip on public transportation. Always something to do, nearly 24/7. I could live there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]
smog
traffic
light pollution
pot holes
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#34]
You feel dirty 20 min after taking a shower...........grimy, real grimy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Lived on and off in them..

fuck that, you can keep them.

They're generally populated by, well, city dwellers that love being city dwellers. You want liberals, well, you've got them.

Can't wait to get out to Alaska or Maine, or similar.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#37]
It sucks, unless you like hot women, good places to eat and lots of entertainment.

I've lived in both.  Honestly, both have their advantages and drawbacks.  

Currently, i live in a smallish suburb outside nashville.   Seems to be about as good a compromise as i can find and can afford.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#38]

My house is in the center of this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I grew up in Chicago in one of the few neighborhoods on the South Side(actually it's the Southwest side) that I'd consider safe for a family to live in.  It was safe because every other person in that neighborhood is either a cop, fire fighter, or in the trades.

I got to see all the Chicago attractions growing up at least once because I went to a CPS school, and I went to probably one of the best schools in the city.

I would never live downtown(too expensive) or on the North Side(may as well be Mars to me, and far too many hipsters to my liking.)  Would I live where I grew up? No, too many shitty gun laws and for $220k you get a house built in the 40s.

Now, I'm not saying all cities are ones I wouldn't live in. Would I live in Indianapolis? Sure. Louisville? Sure.

Would I live in Savannah, GA? HELL FUCKING YES.  Beautiful architecture, great food, incredible Southern charm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=62563
View Quote

Philly?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#41]
My first couple places were in the nicer part of the city.  I never thought I would like it, but in retrospect, it was really fun.

This is from the perspective of someone 18-22.  I met a lot of fun people who were also just finding their independence and paths.  Everything is close, and for that age, it is an asset.  I was never really bored.

Keep in mind that this was the type of city where you drive 20 minutes in any direction and you are in farming country.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Lived in a small city but lasted for about 3 years. Live on top of each other like rats. Every argument is heard by the neighbors as well as other noise. I moved back out to the country and never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think someone built that city wrong.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Philly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Philly?

yeppers...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Lived in a rural area for the last 20+ years. Just moved to the city. I'm about to take a pay cut to make 20% of what I currently do to get back to a rural area.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bull shit.  It's what you make of it.

Hell isn't other people. Hell is the space between your own ears if you want it to be.

I grew up in San Diego's suburbs, spent 15 years living in the greater LA area and now live on 3 acres in the mountains outside of San Diego.

I much prefer where I am now but living in LA was just another thing to get used to.  There are people close by but no one wants to deal with you any more than you want to deal with them so that's usually a push.  Traffic sucks but I have to drive farther now to get to the traffic so I can do my job so that's a push.  If you live in a city long enough you soon forget what the sky and horizon look like but if living in the city serves your purposes it's not all that big a deal to go visit the sky and horizon every once in a while.

Keep in mind I'm talking west coast cities here.  Personally, I'd rather drop out of society all together before moving to some place like New York or Shitcago.

Well, maybe if you paid me an obscene amount of money, I'd consider it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I live on the outskirts of a city with a population over 1.3m. If it weren't for the politics I would be pretty happy here. mountains, surfing, snow, biking, offroading shooting are all within an hour or so.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How country / upstate are you?  Originally from the NYC area. There are some places you don't go. We left 30 yrs ago. Place we live now, less than 6k when we moved here, now it's 20K +. Currently browsing real rural (for now) places.  Outside of being able to hustle and really generate income, it sucks, neighbors will be hipsters or D's who are all progressive forward thinkers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#50]
no inbreeding, indoor plumbing and dental care. plus we can count and read
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top