Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2014 1:25:24 PM EDT
So we have a thread on zero turn mowers.  Let's see what you guys recommend when it comes to trimming weeds and grass in places mowers won't reach.

I was at fleet farm, but I wasn't too sure a big box store trimmer was going to be money well spent.

What are the best options? 2 cycle? Battery powered? A cord won't reach everywhere I want to use it.

However I am not going to be able to afford anything way expensive. I would buy used if trimmers really last that long, but I wonder if most used trimmers are basically used up.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
stihl

don't leave pump-gas in it (you have to mix with 2 stroke oil if its a 2 stroke, but still don't leave pump gas with ethanol in the tank).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stihl
View Quote

What about the actual string?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
stihl

don't leave pump-gas in it (you have to mix with 2 stroke oil if its a 2 stroke, but still don't leave pump gas with ethanol in the tank).
View Quote

Buy a goat. Don't have to worry about ethanol. Just goat poop
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

stihl

View Quote
100% correct. Rebuilt three carbs this year. Solid advice.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Stihl FS90 to FS130.  I have the 130 and can't seem to get it to bog down.  Have taken down 2" saplings with the metal blade.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Echo, but I'm using a Troybilt 4-cycle. Its been reliable for 7 years... Just regular gas, which I don't winterize.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Redmax
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Husqvarna straight shaft four stroke and really like it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Stihl FS94.  It's their new mid-size 2-stroke and it's excellent.  I have one and used it a bunch
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Stihl FS74.  20 years old and still running like new.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a commercial Honda and be done with it.

Laugh at your pitiful neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Shindawa, 10+yrs and still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Stihl and a Husqvarna, both 2 strokes.  Both are good, I use the Stihl mostly because it has the full handlebars, the Husky just has a j- handle with the throttle on the main shaft.  We have a lot of chain link fence - the Stihl runs better at low speeds without fouling out.  I use as low a rpm as I can along the chain link to get better string life, at high RPM the string life is zilch.

I use an Oregon Trail string with a fiber core.  It seems to outlast most other strings I've tried - especially around the damn fence.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using the same Stihl since 1998. The priming bulb has rotted away, but I've had no other issues with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Tanaka, Redmax, Echo/Shindaiwa, or Stihl, in that order.  Never from a big box store, buy from your local lawn care store equipment store.  Just look where all the professional yard care guys buy their gear and do your business there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
The Stihls work well, but i'm going to recommend Husqvarna.

I'm tired of their damn flippy caps leaking and my FS90 is a turd compared to other models with similarly sized engines.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my Echo.  10 years old and still runs great.  I even leave gas in it all year.  I do put stabil in the gas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a refurbed Homelite straight shaft that I bought from a guy who has been in the small engine business for 30+ years.  I use the 6 sided string and it seems to be a bit more resiliant than the round stuff.  It starts easy and does it's job.

Being 6'8", I wish I had a longer shaft...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The echo speed feed string head is a thing of beauty when it comes to reloading line.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an Echo trimmer and chainsaw. I have had both for more than 10 years without an issue .

Both start every time.

I would buy an Echo in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have an Echo trimmer and chainsaw. I have had both for more than 10 years without an issue .

Both start every time.

View Quote

10 years makes a huge difference.

I'd buy a 10yr old Echo saw or weed whacker and rehab the things, before buying a new Echo at half the price.
They have literally gone to shit with the new EPA mandates, and are way behind Stihl and Husqvarna in build quality as well as customer support these days.

Damn shame really.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Find a Stihl FS-130, pay once.

If you are clearing light brush, snag a FS-250 and never need another strimmer again...and pass it on to your grand kids, as they might want one for thier lifetime as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a small yard and a Ryobi 40 volt model works for me. It's new though, don't know about the longevity of the Li battery.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 1985 Home Lite that still works great after all these years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
stihl

View Quote

Why? I have for years and never a problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
stihl

Am I just lucky? All my OPE has pump gas and it is in the tanks all year and they always fire right up and work great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I like my echo. Got the 230 since its the first commercial model in their lineup. I shouldn't have to but another for decades.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Am I just lucky? All my OPE has pump gas and it is in the tanks all year and they always fire right up and work great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
stihl

Mine have pump gas too.  No problems.  

Ethonol free gas from the pump.

Gas stations get pissed when you try to get siphon gas from their tanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Echo PAS-225, SRM-225 or if you have the cash PAS/SRM-266

PAS uses attachments, so you can get a hedge clipper or chain saw attachment later if you want.

I would also HIGHLY recommend their Red Armor oil. Awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Husqvarna straight shaft 2 stroke for me. I don't see the point of a 4 stroke myself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'd buy a 10yr old Echo saw or weed whacker and rehab the things, before buying a new Echo at half the price.

They have literally gone to shit with the new EPA mandates, and are way behind Stihl and Husqvarna in build quality as well as customer support these days.

Damn shame really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Both start every time.

Damn shame really.
The engine on the ECHO SRM-225 is the same as the engine on the SRM-210 that is 15 years old.

Plastic housings and stickers changed on it.

"new" EPA mandates on emissions have been in effect since 2005. Nothing new other than evaporation regulations, and that was 2012. Only affected external fuel pickup lines, tanks, tank caps & gaskets.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have an Echo trimmer that I bought about six or seven years ago.  Total maintenance, I changed the plug once.  I do add stabilizer to the gas, but never drain it at the end of the season.  The first time this season, it took two pulls for the choked "blurb", then one without the choke to start it.  Still runs great and has more than enough power to chew through things, and turn any small objects into deadly projectiles.

I think that over those years, I've gone through two of the big rolls (not the spool) of echo trimmer line.  I just bought the big spool a month ago, I should be set for at least another five years in that regard.

We have a guy that works for our company, and he's made his living repairing small engines for 40 years.    I asked him what brand to buy, he looked me right in the eye, and said "Buy an echo."  I took his advice, and have never regretted it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#35]
A checkbook and a telephone.

I don't even know where my trimmer is. And I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Stupid question... what does ethanol do to the motor ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Echo
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Echo
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing to the actual motor, but it does eat up the plastic parts in the fuel system and will eventually trash your carb. Ask me how I know...

Fuel stabilizer works if you can't get the Ethanol free stuff nearby.

ETA: Stihl FS series FTW
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a box store Husqvarna that I used for ~4 years.  It ran great, started very easily, but was underpowered.  This year I bought a Stihl (130R I think) and it blows the Husqvarna out of the water.  Much more powerful and runs excellent.  My only complaint is that a tank of gas does not last long.  The Husqvarna struggled with the thick grass in my dog pen.  I'd have to rev it high and make small passes but the Stihl cuts that shit at a much lower RPM like its nothing.  The Husqvarna now has a pole saw attachment and rarely comes out to play.

I have no experience with Echo trimmers, but the blower that I had from them was a POS.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

from my experience, nothing.  i have had no problems related to ethanol.  
i'm a heavy duty DIY'er and i don't know what all the "ethanol fuss" is about.

ar-jedi

ps
stihl chainsaw  <-- around 20 years old
stihl string trimmer
stihl hedge trimmer
stihl handheld blower
billygoat walk behind leaf blower
subaru powered pressure washer
honda powered lawnmower
tecumseh powered generator
honda powered generator
yamaha wr250f motocross/enduro bike
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought a new Echo string trimmer and leaf blower in 1998. Never drained the gas, & use E10 fuel. I've had to replace the hoses, plunger, etc... but the trimmer still works like new. The leaf blower quit a few years ago and I replaced it with a "new" Echo. I haven't had issues with it but if I had to do it over, I'd probably go with a Stihl. I agree with the earlier post saying the newer Echos aren't what they used to be.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Echo. I have the weedeater and leaf blower and they are both great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#44]
My echo SRM2100 has served me well lo these last 19 years.  Might be a bit of a chore to start from time to time but it just keeps running.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#45]
The local shop in town sells Echo, but I guess I can drive 40 minutes to get the Sthil.  I should be able to get a decent unit for $300 or less right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Whatever you decide to get, go to Lowes and get this replacement head for your trimmer.

It's easy to put on and when you're done, you can forget about the days of winding line or banging the damn trimmer trying to get it to extend.

This is the best thing since sliced bread.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like the Sthil FS 70R Pro model should be affordable.  Suggested retail is $280
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Shindaiwa  20+ years old and still running.(T-20)

can attach a 10" carbide blade on the end and trim trees as well.

-or-

Husqvarna
.....with the detachable mid-shaft attachments.  supposedly you can use the less expensive Troy-Bilt attachments on them but I haven't tried that yet

I prefer 2-strokes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. I can't believe the lack of love for the Honda 4 strokes. I've had the HHT31S for  a while. I'm thinking about getting the 35 just for brush work. I'm so lazy I hate spending the 5 minutes it takes to convert from blade to string.

eta-dang awto spel
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Shindaiwa T235. Steel shaft not cable. Owned by echo, same warranty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top