Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Factory 5
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
What ever you decide look at a few of them already built ,
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Factory Five Racing kit or bust!   They are above and beyond all the other kit cars.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Factory 5
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Real Deal Steel

40 Coupe body
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
First post = /thread
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Factory Five has the GTM, Shelby Daytona coupe and a Deuce coupe which have roofs. It seems like a lot of jack for a non factory car, but they are all sexy. How much are you looking to invest in the project?

https://www.factoryfive.com/

Disclaimer: I know jack about kit cars.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Off road, check out Urban Gorilla. I've seen several one of a kind rigs based off them. The favorites I've seen seem to be LB7 Duramaxes with NV4500's. I've only ever seen the 4 door in person, never seen the 6 or two. (I'd love the 2 with a LB7...).
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Factory Five Racing kit or bust!   They are above and beyond all the other kit cars.
View Quote

If only you were around when I bought my street beast

Although slowly but surely working the kinks out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get a Hawk.....replica of the Lancia Stratos if my finances allowed such toys.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
FPNI. Have a friend that went with a F5 Cobra and it turned out awesome. If I were mechanically handy and had the tools/setup, that's the way is go.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Real Deal Steel

40 Coupe body
View Quote

I've often thought about doing something like this: http://www.dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/camaro.php

Basically building a "new" 69' Camaro.  Using modern suspension, engine, transmission, and drivetrain components, but in a car that looks like a stock 69'.  

IF I was looking for a particular kit car, I might try to buy one already built.  They're typically labors of love, and rarely hold their full value.  If you can find one you like that the original owner or builder is trying to sell, you'll probably get a lot of value for your money.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Factory 5 or superformance if you want a cobra

Caterham Super 7 otherwise. Drop a turbocharged V6 in it and hold on tight
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
'41 Willys from Outlaw Performance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A 289-based Factory five kit car might be OK, but I have yet to see anything in their info about convertible tops and side windows.  I won't drive the thing in the snow, but one can't predict the rain exactly.

Please keep the suggestions of quality kit car mfrs coming, including the off-road/dune buggy types.
View Quote

I really would like to build a Factory Five type 65 coupe.   Terribly bad in fact.

A decent one popped on the market about 2 months back for around 37-38k and I never got a chance to go see it as it was 2+ hours away.

There is a lot of knowledge out there on how to build the FF cars.   You can also do a build class at the factory where they credit back some of your class fees towards a purchase.

A good ford racing 363 or 427 in the Daytona coupe clone would make it scream.    Get the 3 link setup at minimum and try to stay away from using a host/donor car.

Super Performance is regarded as having a better finished, as well as shelby authorized, kit but you are looking at 75-90k for going that route versus 35-45k for Factory Five.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Old school Lambo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Top of the kits to build is the SLC.  Lots of cash but you get what you pay for.  A racecar to can make street legal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
What is the point of this car?

Are you looking for a track car? Or are you looking for an excuse to build and maintain something yourself.

If track car, Caterham.

If street car, Factory Five.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As far as sports cars go, I'd MUCH prefer a 289 engine cobra over a big block version of same.  Better balanced, and more fun to drive,  Better mileage, too.  No turbos, period.  Keep it simple and long-lasting.  I only have one shot at this this project, so nothing exotic or extremely expensive.
View Quote

Are you looking to do the build yourself?

And 427 based on a dart small block is what is in my backdraft racing car.  They do have tops for them now, but they are either on or off.  I think the cobra should be ruled out on that premise if it is of that much importance to you.

Era makes a DIY kit that is very nice.  Ff requires a ton of work.   I wouldn't really consider any other true kit cars.  Turnkey minus or turnkey puts you in to a couple more options.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Budget....that's pretty important.  I see it at $40k which really limits your options.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Super performance sends you a roller, correct?  You don't build the kit, at least that's how they used to be. I've been to many of the Carlisle kit car shows and the Factory Five were a lot better quality than the others, and they are designed to use a single donor car to complete them, most kits anyways, and actually have Quality Control, not just Jose throwing the fiberglass down and Jimmy John welding up a chassis.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Super performance sends you a roller, correct?  You don't build the kit, at least that's how they used to be. I've been to many of the Carlisle kit car shows and the Factory Five were a lot better quality than the others, and they are designed to use a single donor car to complete them, most kits anyways, and actually have Quality Control, not just Jose throwing the fiberglass down and Jimmy John welding up a chassis.
View Quote

Correct on the superformance.

Ff quality is entirely dependent on the builder and the parts.  Jose will be in his garage doing his own fiberglass on a ff car though, and hundreds of hours of it.  Or he will be paying the body man to do the work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Bradley GT.  

Hard top and totally unleashes the euro sports car lurking inside a Beetle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Just curious... why a kit car if you have a 40k  to spend? There are lots of options for factory cars with that kind of budget.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I would like to find a body to replace the one on my Dakota.
Sort of a Urban gorilla but smaller

ETA

Just found out that Urban Gorilla sells kits for Dakotas.

http://www.4x4bodies.com/faq.html

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a buddy who has just finished his second FFR (Mk IV).  This one has the independent rear suspension (IRS), a 347 Windsor and a Tremec TKO.  His first one had a 351W, T-5 and solid rear axle.  I highly suggest "doing it right" with a small block Windsor and not a 351W, because the clearance issues with the small block are zero.  Going with IRS makes for a much softer ride and adds greatly to the car's handling.

If you aren't working full time on the project, expect to take a couple of years or more.  I know one guy who was building a Ford GT-40 kit for almost 10 year before he sold the project to someone who could work on it more often than his changed life (kids, work) allowed him to do anymore.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just curious... why a kit car if you have a 40k  to spend? There are lots of options for factory cars with that kind of budget.
View Quote

No antilock, no traction control, no power steering, basically raw and completely unsophisticated car.

All engine, car, driver.

Factory Five car with 350-450hp at 2400 pounds is a tempting treat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No antilock, no traction control, no power steering, basically raw and completely unsophisticated car.

All engine, car, driver.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All engine, car, driver.

Say no more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Right you are.  That's why no turbos, no big blocks, ant keeping it as simple as possible without sacrificing essential quality.  I don't need the big side pipes, when a simple dual exhaust will do.

Simple 300 HP driver's car with a (convertible) roof and side screen windows.  That's all I ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Budget....that's pretty important.  I see it at $40k which really limits your options.

Right you are.  That's why no turbos, no big blocks, ant keeping it as simple as possible without sacrificing essential quality.  I don't need the big side pipes, when a simple dual exhaust will do.

Simple 300 HP driver's car with a (convertible) roof and side screen windows.  That's all I ask.

Based on your requirements, I'd get a corvette.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Rally Fighter?  Local motors.com
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#39]
If it was me,

41 Willys, straight axle, all aluminum blown Hemi, Jerico or G-force 4 speed.

Factory Five Daytona Coupe with a new Hellcat Hemi and 6 speed.

If I wasn't a diehard MoPar guy I'd be trying to stuff a new 5.0 in either a Daytona or Cobra roadster kit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Factory 5
View Quote

I have no personal experience with them, but from everything I've read (for whatever that's worth) - go this route, raf.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Factory 5
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in 1974, when I first started reading car rags, I dreamed of this:

Bradley GT II

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Healey Factory has a turn key minus engine for around $33K
New Chevy 350 and TH350 for $4.8k more
Bit of a trip to pick up in FL though . .
ETA:
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Two people that I know have built cobras from Lonestar Classics. Both cars turned out nice but that's all I know about them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As far as sports cars go, I'd MUCH prefer a 289 engine cobra over a big block version of same.  Better balanced, and more fun to drive,  Better mileage, too.  No turbos, period.  Keep it simple and long-lasting.  I only have one shot at this this project, so nothing exotic or extremely expensive.
View Quote

Well I have built two factory fives and have a 3rd ready for paint. The big block is just as balanced as the small block. I can fit a number of engine in mine. I was well invested into BB Chevys. there is enough adjustment in the suspension to get the same ratio F to B with anything I put in it.  They do not offer that option but they do fit just fine. I can tell you the kit is well ahead of the original 427s. I'm lucky enough to have driven originals on 2 occasions.

If I wanted something to last your lifetime I would go with either the mod motor Ford or the LS  GM motor. The very least would be an injected SB Ford 5.0. They last so much longer than the old school 289 and 302's

I've been thinking of building a fourth. It would be a small block or more than likely a 60 degree v-6 turbo for mileage. I would use it as a daily driver. I would also spring for the double loop behind the seats instead of the single.

Both the original and the kit will kill you. The original will kill you faster with less horsepower.  The car has its quirks and they will eat you up if you drive aggressively then chicken out in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#48]
The SLC from Race Car Replicas looks aggressive as hell. Anybody know anything about that company?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The SLC from Race Car Replicas looks aggressive as hell. Anybody know anything about that company?

View Quote

They are solid cars with good support.  You are looking at $80-120k (some people have more than that in to them) to build one properly, and they have poor resale.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top