Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:22 PM EDT
Let's say you find a purse. It is sitting on a bench all by itself and no one is around. You open the purse and find a driver's license with the owner's address and you find $5,000 in cash. You can take the money and no one will ever know that it was you.

Let's just go ahead and say that it is dishonest to keep the money. But, there is no chance that you will ever get caught, you're technically not stealing and who couldn't use $5,000?

So, do you keep the money, or do you return it to the owner?

If you return it, then why do you return it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Return it.  All of it.  

What comes around goes around
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't post about it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]

never open the purse.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Return it.  All of it.  

What comes around goes around
View Quote

this.

and hope for pie reward if applicable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Let's say you find a purse. It is sitting on a bench all by itself and no one is around. You open the purse and find a driver's license with the owner's address and you find $5,000 in cash. You can take the money and no one will ever know that it was you.

View Quote

Let's just go ahead and say that it is dishonest to keep the money. But, there is no chance that you will ever get caught, you're technically not stealing and who couldn't use $5,000?

Wat??
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
People will lie in this thread. People are generally fuckfaces
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Return it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Return it. I would hope that if I was stupid enough to forget my wallet somewhere with any sum of money, that I would get the same respect.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

never open the purse.
View Quote

Well how you supposed to know who it belongs to?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
daddy said so
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I return it.  I know who's property the purse and its contents are.

Why?  Because I'm not a thief.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wat??

You found it. You didn't grab it from her and run.

It's my scenario and if I say you're not stealing then you're not stealing...and I say you're not stealing. The Foot has spoken!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I found $80 in the floor of the DMV last week.  I was the only one there.
I picked it up, handed it to a lady at the counter, and told her someone might come back looking for this.

$5,000 isn't enough to buy my dignity.

$500,000 might be.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wat??

It's my scenario and if I say you're not stealing then you're not stealing...and I say you're not stealing. The Foot has spoken!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat??

If you take it, and it isn't yours, you are stealing.  You know it belongs to someone else.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Return it because you ARE stealing, there's a license with a name and address on it. . Just because its sitting on the bench all by itself doesn't mean its not stealing if you find it and don't return it. You ever "find" a car sitting there running with nobody in it? Do you take that car too because "technically you aren't stealing"?
WTF op?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Why no option for keeping the money but returning the purse
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Return it.

Unless it's my sister's purse.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I picked it up, handed it to a lady at the counter, and told her someone might come back looking for this.

$500,000 might be.
View Quote

But why does your dignity hinge on whether or not you give the money back? Why is it important to you in your own eyes to give it back?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Use the money to buy matching earrings.

Strut about town.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Better question.

You are going through old boxes at work.  You find $600 paper clipped to a note that says "found next to register" with a date on it from 6 years ago. Nobody ever claimed it.  Everyone forgot about it.  What do you do?  What did I do?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Found one in the middle of a highway.

It had been run over a few times and stuff was scattered all over the road.

I had to be careful dodging cars (not busy) and find what the wind didn't take.

Did some detective work and found the lady who owned it, called her to pick it up.

Turns out she left it on the back of her truck while loading stuff at home depot. She made it about a mile before it fell off. she lived 30 miles away.

I didn't ask for a reward, she didn't offer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Return it.

Unless it's my sister's purse.  
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If you take it, and it isn't yours, you are stealing.  You know it belongs to someone else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wat??

Allow me to clarify:

1. Completely hypothetical scenario. There is no purse or money involved.

2. Legal ramifications, or the threat of legal ramifications are not a factor. I don't want to know that you would give the money back because the cops might dust the purse for fingerprints and then come arrest you.

I say you're not stealing, so you're not stealing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I would return it because it is the moral thing to do based simply on my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Allow me to clarify:

2. Legal ramifications, or the threat of legal ramifications are not a factor. I don't want to know that you would give the money back because the cops might dust the purse for fingerprints and then come arrest you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat??

Allow me to clarify:

It's stealing
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's stealing
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I would return it.  The purse, ID, and money don't belong to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, technically you are stealing it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But why does your dignity hinge on whether or not you give the money back? Why is it important to you in your own eyes to give it back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$500,000 might be.

Do you even righteous bro?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Return it because it's the right thing to do.  Also, Jesus approves of its return, you wouldn't want that to happen to you, you should feel bad for the owners loss, and your father taught you right from wrong or should have.

ETA:  voted return it other reason, return it all of the above.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Allow me to clarify:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat??

Allow me to clarify:

So, like, I am metal detecting on a beach.  I get a hit, dig up a tin can, and there is $5,000 cash in the tin can and nothing else?

Yeah, who the hell wouldn't keep that money?

Lost money, with no reasonable method of knowing or contacting the owner, and not way of having assumed owner prove ownership?  That's mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you the Debil?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I lost my wallet once when I was a teen. Heart hammering like mad as I walked up to the counter where I'd last had it. The cashier handed it to me right off, with all $180-something dollars in it.

I'd hem and haw, and probably cuss myself for a fool, but yeah, I'd probably return the purse.

I found an iphone once. Had to learn how to hack it to get past the screen lock to find the owner, and then drive across town to return it. Poll needs "because it's the right thing to do," option.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Technically, it is in fact stealing.  You even know who it belongs to.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I would return it because it is the moral thing to do based simply on my personal opinion.
View Quote

OK, let me try...

I would return the money because I would empathize with the person who lost it. There are very, very few people in this world who wouldn't shit and freak out if they lost that much money. If I lost $5,000, just left it sitting on a bench, I would probably freak out 8 ways from Sunday. Might bust out crying like baby. Getting their money back to them would probably be pretty damn near miraculous for them. Doesn't matter who they are or what they need the money for, or how much money they have.

And to be honest, it really doesn't matter how much money is in the purse. Could be $5, could be no money at all. Maybe just getting the purse back would make them happy. Maybe getting their drivers license back would make them happy. I wouldn't do it because I would be afraid that Jesus is watching, or because I thought maybe by doing something nice then maybe someone would do something nice for me. I would do it because it might be a chance for me to help make someone's shitty day better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I found a bike. I saw a guy just leave it at the rack, locked it up and then just leave it! Fuck that, finder's keepers!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
For me personally, five grand would buy almost every possession I own besides my car which I own free and clear.  I couldn't afford to lose five grand.  I wouldn't leave it sitting around, but shit happens sometimes.

The person who lost that five grand might be just like me, going through a divorce without a pot to piss in.  That 5k might be their life savings.  I couldn't take that from somebody, even if it would give me a major leg up in this world.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

OK, let me try...

I would return the money because I would empathize with the person who lost it. There are very, very few people in this world who wouldn't shit and freak out if they lost that much money. If I lost $5,000, just left it sitting on a bench, I would probably freak out 8 ways from Sunday. Might bust out crying like baby. Getting their money back to them would probably be pretty damn near miraculous for them. Doesn't matter who they are or what they need the money for, or how much money they have.

And to be honest, it really doesn't matter how much money is in the purse. Could be $5, could be no money at all. Maybe just getting the purse back would make them happy. Maybe getting their drivers license back would make them happy. I wouldn't do it because I would be afraid that Jesus is watching, or because I thought maybe by doing something nice then maybe someone would do something nice for me. I would do it because it might be a chance for me to help make someone's shitty day better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, let me try...

I have no empathy.  

Zip, zero, nada.  Just isn't part of my thought process for dealing with something like this.

That's weird to me that you do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
  Allow me to clarify:

View Quote

Welcome to moral nihilism and anarchy, buddy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$500,000 might be.

Because I am taking Ethics this semester and I want to know what motivates people to be honest.

God?

Fear?

Desire to do good things? Doing right is it's own reward?

Or are you just doing what you were raised to do and don't really know or care why?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#43]
How is taking $5,000 that is not yours NOT stealing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because I am taking Ethics this semester and I want to know what motivates people to be honest.

God?
Fear?

Or are you just doing what you were raised to do and don't really know or care why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$500,000 might be.

God?
Fear?

I got a little guy on my shoulder that tells me what to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Weeping Jesus on the cross!

Go find a fart jokes thread, yeah?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Allow me to clarify:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat??

Allow me to clarify:

You can say that it isn't stealing, but it is.  You are taking something that isn't yours.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#47]
what purse full of money
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have no empathy.  

Zip, zero, nada.  Just isn't part of my thought process for dealing with something like this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, let me try...

I have no empathy.  

That surprises me about you.

Not saying that it makes you a bad person, but I am surprised by it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't have to imagine this situation I had almost this exact thing happen to me but at an airport. I turned the purse in to the airline rep; when the old lady came and got it she was pretty happy.

I returned it because there is no point in taking what doesn't belong to me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top