Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/20/2014 11:02:09 PM EDT
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/19/armys-quits-tests-after-competing-rifle-outperform/

A competing rifle outperformed the Army’s favored M4A1 carbine in key firings during a competition last year before the service abruptly called off the tests and stuck with its gun, according to a new confidential report.

The report also says the Army changed the ammunition midstream to a round "tailored” for the M4A1 rifle. It quoted competing companies as saying the switch was unfair because they did not have enough time to fire the new ammo and redesign their rifles before the tests began.

Exactly how the eight challengers — and the M4 — performed in a shootout to replace the M4, a soldier’s most important personal defense, has been shrouded in secrecy.

But an "official use only report” by the Center for Naval Analyses shows that one of the eight unidentified weapons outperformed the M4 on reliability and on the number of rounds fired before the most common type of failures, or stoppages, occurred, according to data obtained by The Washington Times.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/19/armys-quits-tests-after-competing-rifle-outperform/#ixzz3B0XL5kKP

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#1]
IN!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IN!!!!
View Quote

Soooo in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Which gun is "Gun C"?

Has it been leaked yet?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It will never matter.  The whole world is vested in the AR platform.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The Times spoke with soldiers who had used the M4 in intense combat. They said the magazine is tinny and subject to jamming. The gun itself requires constant cleaning. One Green Beret said he and his colleagues, once in theater, rebuild the gun with better parts.
View Quote

Anyone know what they are talking about?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if the makers think we suck and hate us?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
How much did HK pay for this article?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
It was the gun that Al Pacino used in Heat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which gun is "Gun C"?
Has it been leaked yet?
View Quote

We all knew this day would come.  The M16 will be replaced with the Bushmaster M17

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Who cares? There are some things that matter more than performance.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Outperform? Yeah sure.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How much did HK pay for this article?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Length?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I would also like to know what "Gun C" was.

Also, in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Outperform? Yeah sure.
View Quote

John Moses Browning didn't design the M4 to be outperformed by any of them heathen rifles
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait, the M4 had less breakages than any other, and got second in stoppages, and it's still considered "unreliable"?

If one rifle had more stoppages than another rifle, but less breakages, I'd rather have the one that I can fix on the spot. I'd not like the one that keeps going normally, but if it stops it's deadlined, if you please.

And the "They were using M855A1 and we only prepared our rifles for M855." thing. Yeah. Tough shit, you're terrible at your job if you didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wait, the M4 had less breakages than any other, and got second in stoppages, and it's still considered "unreliable"?

If one rifle had more stoppages than another rifle, but less breakages, I'd rather have the one that I can fix on the spot. I'd not like the one that keeps going normally, but if it stops it's deadlined, if you please.

And the "They were using M855A1 and we only prepared our rifles for M855." thing. Yeah. Tough shit, you're terrible at your job if you didn't think of that.
View Quote

No shit. "It's unfair, the Army switched to the ammo that the Army is switching to... Our rifles only work with the outdated ammo." is a shitty excuse.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#19]
In before the "what does the SCAR do better than an AR" thread
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Times spoke with soldiers who had used the M4 in intense combat. They said the magazine is tinny and subject to jamming. The gun itself requires constant cleaning. One Green Beret said he and his colleagues, once in theater, rebuild the gun with better parts.

magpul,   Duhhhh.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
This is gun "C"

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Unless it's a m4a3 or something like that. I call

Maybe a

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder which H&K won the test...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#24]
My vote goes to the ADCOR A-556 ELITE.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm so sure gun 'C' is one you can find in Battlefield 4.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#26]
gun "C" was obviously an AK.

eta: *$$*%^&*&&%%## slow hughesnet
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No shit. "It's unfair, the Army switched to the ammo that the Army is switching to... Our rifles only work with the outdated ammo." is a shitty excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to defend the article's premise, but IIRC the Army hasn't published M855A1's chamber pressure spec, nor its pressure curve. Doctor Roberts has mentioned that this is one of M855A1's hidden weaknesses--that the Army won't release its actual operating pressures, and some indicators are that it runs at nearly 5.56mm proof-load pressure in order to get the "enhanced perdormance" compared to regular M855.

Likewise, they announced the need to test with A1 only a month prior to the commencement of actual testing, and only provided 10k rounds to mfgs at that point. IIRC the spec originally called for M855 ammo compatibility, not M855A1.

So they had to go back and rework systems that were presumably optimized around the existing standard of M855 ammo and its well-known performance. And with only a couple thousand rounds per test weapon (IIRC the testing called for numerous samples per competitor) to get each of them sorted out, which in the grand scheme of weapons design isn't all that much.

Point is, while there probably isn't an individual carbine out there that's enough better than the M4 to merit a whole-force changeover, the Army played it kinda shifty with the way they solicited this one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not to defend the article's premise, but IIRC the Army hasn't published M855A1's chamber pressure spec, nor its pressure curve. Doctor Roberts has mentioned that this is one of M855A1's hidden weaknesses--that the Army won't release its actual operating pressures, and some indicators are that it runs at nearly 5.56mm proof-load pressure in order to get the "enhanced perdormance" compared to regular M855.

Likewise, they announced the need to test with A1 only a month prior to the commencement of actual testing, and only provided 10k rounds to mfgs at that point. IIRC the spec originally called for M855 ammo compatibility, not M855A1.

So they had to go back and rework systems that were presumably optimized around the existing standard of M855 ammo and its well-known performance. And with only a couple thousand rounds per test weapon (IIRC the testing called for numerous samples per competitor) to get each of them sorted out, which in the grand scheme of weapons design isn't all that much.

Point is, while there probably isn't an individual carbine out there that's enough better than the M4 to merit a whole-force changeover, the Army played it kinda shifty with the way they solicited this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M855A1 can be had if you have the cash to drop and know where to look. Been that way for a good while now.

It's what the Army planned to (and has, give or take) change to for Ball ammo. It was in development forever and wasn't exactly a shock or dark horse.

You expect them to test a new carbine with ammo being phased out?

Sometimes, specs change for valid reasons.

Did Colt get to bitch about the change to M855A1 in testing? They didn't get to redesign the M4 for it either. Thus the testing was just as unfair to the M4.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Length?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Length?

Girth
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Which gun is "Gun C"?

Has it been leaked yet?
View Quote

Kel-tec plr16
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

John Moses Browning didn't design the M4 to be outperformed by any of them heathen rifles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outperform? Yeah sure.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Welcome to the new US Army. "Bullpup" -style
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#34]
HAS to be a PSA 308 AR
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]
If this is more XM8 propoganda it just isn't going to happen.

Ever
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outperform? Yeah sure.

What?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HAS to be a PSA 308 AR
View Quote

Could have been the 1911 from PSA
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Mini-14?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
HAS to be a PSA 308 AR
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Welcome to the new US Army. "Bullpup" -style
http://i51.tinypic.com/3466buf.jpg
View Quote

WANT. SA80s are sexy beasts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In before the "what does the SCAR do better than an AR" thread
View Quote

Aside from cost a shitload more?

I picked up a new fun yesterday, and the shop had a used SCAR 16 on the rack. $2450. My jaw dropped. Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#43]
The Army is severely allergic to change.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Mini-14?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#45]
In on 1!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#46]
How about a list of the weapons in the test?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outperform? Yeah sure.

What?

Shhh.  He's on a roll.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

M855A1 can be had if you have the cash to drop and know where to look. Been that way for a good while now.

It's what the Army planned to (and has, give or take) change to for Ball ammo. It was in development forever and wasn't exactly a shock or dark horse.

Did Colt get to bitch about the change to M855A1 in testing? They didn't get to redesign the M4 for it either. Thus the testing was just as unfair to the M4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Army is still making changes to the M4/M4A1 to get it to work right with M855A1.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#49]
This PSA has been brought to by Berretta.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Tag till I ask a few questions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top