Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/8/2014 7:28:48 PM EDT
For the uninitiated...

Life hacking refers to any trick, shortcut, skill, or novelty method that increases productivity and efficiency, in all walks of life.
-Wikipedia
View Quote

There's Lifehacker.com, but most of what's posted there is consumer advice and "how to organize your thoughts" type stuff. They also have posts about gadgety go bags for various fields, and they sometimes post something applied, like how to clean a certain type of stain or optimize energy usage. I feel like I've seen multiple posts about changing tires there. Apparently, that's complicated business.

I'd like to do our own version. I'd like to keep it mostly on straightforward, applied tips, and they don't necessarily need to be firearms specific.

For example, how to rinse out a soapy cup or bowl faster- Instead of filling it and dumping it a few times, hold it upside down, and use the sink's hose to spray it out. You'll get a much more effective flow of water across the soapy surface of the cup.

Or how about something firearms related? A 20ga shotgun bore brush fits the chamber of 7.62x54r firearms nicely, and can be handy for removing cosmo or lacquer from certain types of surplus ammo. For additional awesome, put the cleaning rod in the chuck of a drill.

And a tire-changing tip, just to get one last hit in on the ole dead horse... Before you lift the vehicle, put your spare under the frame next to the jack. When you remove the flat, swap it with the spare, keeping a tire under the vehicle during the whole job. If the vehicle falls off the jack, it'll land on the tire saving it from damage and you from injury. As a bonus, it gives you good standoff to fit the jack and re-lift the vehicle. I've actually had that happen, and this trick probably saved me from much bigger problems.

What's your trick?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Clear a malfunction with a round over the bolt by putting a finger in the magwell, not by mortaring the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Mobil 1 works just as good as "gun oil" that costs 20x as much.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I fold up several squares of toilet paper and stow it in a drawer within reach of the toilet. It's my emergency reserve for if I forget that my main roll of TP is empty after I am on the throne.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure to have your fleshlight std tested if you let a group of Arfcommers in your home, even if you thought it was hidden.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
To avoid being arrested, don't masturbate in public parks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I save bacon grease to use when I have fresh green beans to add flavor
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
When posting from your new account, Do tell us how many times you have been banned.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
<Don't post stuff like that on ar15.com>
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If you happen to play drums, the thread pitch of Ludwig and Tama (and probably the rest) cymbay stands fits digital cameras perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Seriously...... this was a game changer
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I save bacon grease to use when I have fresh green beans to add flavor
View Quote

And scrambled eggs.

I am not here to contribute to this thread. Just tagging.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Mother of God.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I missed the good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you dispense it? Can a regular spray bottle pump it, or is it too thick?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I missed the good stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed the good stuff.

Whoopsy.

ETA: You can use motor oil to fertilize your lawn.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The easiest way to clean a loaded file is not with a brush or file card, but with a small piece of brass, nylon, or other soft material.  Put the corner of your brass against the file and push it across with the teeth of the file.  The soft material will not dull the file teeth, and after a couple passes the file will cut it's tooth pattern into the corner of your block.  You can then move down the length of the file making a single pass with the teeth and remove all the debris quickly.  Hang on to the piece of brass so you don't have to cut new tooth geometry next time.

To clean loaded stones, put them in your blast cabinet and sand blast them.  If you don't have a sand blaster, all but the most over loaded stones can usually be cleaned by pressure washing them with contact cleaner or brake cleaner.

If you're trying to polish a special contour and you only have flat stones, you can grind the desired contour into your stone with your bench grinder quickly and easily.

If all you have is a little 120v MIG welder and that really ambitious project just isn't getting the weld penetration you'd like, preheat your joints with a propane torch and watch your little MIG weld way out of it's league.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Little Nalgene bottle like this works great:
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]
For those who don't know, your vehicle's gas gauge will have an arrow near it indicating which side you fill on.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]
For a quick way to make soup for a week to take for lunch: freeze about a gallon of soup in an empty water or milk jug, cut the jug away, and cut the block into roughly cup sized portions. Wrap each block individually and store in the freezer. Just grab a block and throw it in a covered microwave safe bowl to take to work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For those who don't know, your vehicle's gas gauge will have an arrow near it indicating which side you fill on.

http://serentipity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/gas-tank.jpg
View Quote

It's also the opposite of your exhaust pipe exit. Is this reversed in England and Australia?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I use my smartphone to take visual notes with the built in camera.

Use it to remember where you parked, a phone number or room number, prices and product numbers of items you see at the store, all kinds of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#24]

The short bristles on the skinny end of the M16 cleaning brush aren't only useful for scrubbing in tight spaces. Due to their short length, they are very rigid.

They are very effective at scrubbing most carbon deposits and light surface rust. Consider this an intermediate alternative before moving up to a brush with metallic bristles or steel wool.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I spray Hydrogen Peroxide on my Harley batwing to get rid of dried bugs before I wash it.  The H202 starts breaking down the bug proteins right away and allows you to wipe them off without scratching paint.  Works on anything with petrified bug splats.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I use my smartphone to take visual notes with the built in camera.

Use it to remember where you parked, a phone number or room number, prices and product numbers of items you see at the store, all kinds of stuff.
View Quote

I do this a lot too!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Like Hoppe's, but hate the useless little bottles it comes in? Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

I've been using mine for probably 2 years now, and the Hoppe's hasn't ruined it yet. When that happens, I'll happily buy another.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I super-glued a small neodymium magnet to the sides of my safety glasses I use when I reload.  When I take the glasses off, I use the magnet to stick them to the side of the press so I can easily fond them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Avoid dipping penis in bucket of AIDS infected blood.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]

If you want to get rid of a lot of paint and with minimal hassle, just dump it in a large Rubbermaid type tub.  

Leave it in the corner of your garage and within a week or so (depending on your conditions), it will be dry.

It won't stick to the tub and you can just peel it out and dump it in the trash.

If you have multiple gallons that you're trying to get rid of, just dump the next one on top of the old one.

Don't put too much in at one time though or it will take too long to dry.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Speaking of paint....

If you're wanting a safe hiding place for something, an empty paint can in your garage is a good place.

Thieves don't steal half-empty paint cans.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Sonicare...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#33]
A piece of fishing string (braided line works best) can be used to remove the plastic emblems on a vehicle without scratching the paint. Just put a loop behind the emblem and use it like a cheese slicer to cut the double stick tape.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#34]
The magnets found in a hard drive are small but very strong.  I have a friend who tears down old computers.  He gives me the magnets, which I have put on the inside doors of my reloading cabinet.  The are strong enough to hold reloading dies, tins of Imperial wax, progressive press shell plates, pistol magazines--including Glock magazines--or whatever other tools I wish to hang.  

It has cleared a huge amount of shelf space inside my cabinet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Clean car windows with windex and black and white newspaper.
It may just change your life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Immortality hack:

See a falling star.
wish you would die
tell someone
Wish ruined
Immortal!

Ham!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#37]
3 parts regular Mountain Dew + 1 part blue Powerade (berry) = Homemade Baja Blast
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

3 parts regular Mountain Dew + 1 part blue Powerade (berry) = Homemade Baja Blast
View Quote
Add 1 part dark, 1 part silver rum, 1 part triple sec (maybe vodka for taste) and you have homemade riot punch.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
When brushing your teeth, (if you still have any) brush up and down not side to side. Your teeth will feel super clean!

Teeth are made of small vertical tubes, kinda like a straw. Brushing up and down gets in between them better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Make sure to have your fleshlight std tested if you let a group of Arfcommers in your home, even if you thought it was hidden.
View Quote

Also applies if you ever hung out with the old team Glock shooters.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#41]
The DIP

To clean Suppressors, NOT aluminum!!!! It will dissolve aluminum!

1/2 hydro peroxide, 1/2 vinegar
Let sit over night, then wash with water and wipe clean.

Fumes and mix are highly toxic once mixed with lead (lead buildup)! Despose of peoperly!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I fold up several squares of toilet paper and stow it in a drawer within reach of the toilet. It's my emergency reserve for if I forget that my main roll of TP is empty after I am on the throne.
View Quote

I hide a "bonus roll" behind some bric-a-brac on the shelves behind the toilet.
Girlfriend does not know it is there
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The DIP

To clean Suppressors, NOT aluminum!!!! It will dissolve aluminum!

1/2 hydro peroxide, 1/2 vinegar
Let sit over night, then wash with water and wipe clean.

Fumes and mix are highly toxic once mixed with lead (lead buildup)! Dispose of properly!
View Quote

Like over the fence to the neighbors yard?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-3-8-oz-storage-bottles-with-twist-caps-66170.html

I got a 6 pack of flip to bottles but they don't seem to still have them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#46]
You can open a beer can with a quarter if you have a refrigerator magnet.  Just place the magnet over the cap and tap the bottle with the quarter, the cap will pop off with a few taps.

If you heat up a small amount of shampoo (so it's about 102 degrees give or take) it will wash out peanut butter, Vaseline, baby oil and just about anything your kids dump in their hair, your hair or your dogs hair.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Pistachio shells make excellent kindling.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
great tips.  I have a pair of safety goggles I keep in my kitchen for when I cut onions, this keeps me from having weeping eyes.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Ever cut onions and your hands stink like onions for days, no matter how much you wash them? Use a stainless steel knife, and, while washing hands, scrape the non-sharpened edge across your skin as you lather. Rinse. No more smell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top