Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2014 2:51:57 PM EDT
Just went with the kids in my truck "off road" and took it off just to fuck around.  But why would you ever need to?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
To fuck around
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To fuck around
View Quote

Yep. It's like rawdawging with a vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
When you live where it snows the fucking traction control makes it almost impossible to take off from stop signs or red lights when there is snow on the ground. A wheel starts to slip and the car goes full fucking retard and cuts power.....traction control is for little ladies and young girls that don't know how to drive.....same with antilock brakes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you don't want traction as soon as possible, flicking around a hairpin bend that would otherwise be a five point turn, or any bend for that matter that you want to turn tighter than what full traction and lock will provide.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes you need wheelspin to get moving.  Traction control will kill throttle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Front wheel drive + traction control + ice = wheels stop spinning before you get out of ice patch. Makes it hard to rock a car out of a snow/ice patch if stuck.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
When you get stuck in the snow or mud..
You want your wheels to spin freely.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I track my car.  I turn TC off.  I do however encourage my students to leave it on in the early stages of learning.
That said - I have read countless street accident stories among sports car owners that begin with "I was driving with DSC off when all of the sudden....." - usually accompanied by a photo.

I hear complaints from street drivers that TC intrudes on their driving too early when there isn't a traction issue (usually described in turns) - and "it is bogging the car down".  In almost every case - the driver is unaware that there is a traction issue - and the car measured it and fixed it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
In my car (2011 Mazdaspeed 3), the traction control button also turns off the boost limiter, put in place to help reduce the torque steer in 1st and 2nd (aka, the fun part). I only leave the traction control on when it is raining.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
'Murica
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
So Marine Brother, did you take it in a place that a Hummer would go or just tall johnson grass with a few drainage ruts?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
CarbineMoms late 2007 Fusion wouldn't move on a pasture after heavy rain at a pumpkin patch with it on.  Spun the wheels with it off and got out muddy but just fine
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
To not get stuck. Traction control sucks on my work truck 2008 f150. I have to turn it off so I can get out of the mud.
When it's on the tires won't spin and I just sit there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When you live where it snows the fucking traction control makes it almost impossible to take off from stop signs or red lights when there is snow on the ground. A wheel starts to slip and the car goes full fucking retard and cuts power.....traction control is for little ladies and young girls that don't know how to drive.....same with antilock brakes.

View Quote

This.

I drive a lot and have almost been in 2 accidents because my pickup thought it was a super idea to cut all the power to my pickup.

I do not understand how traction control is safe. I wish I could leave it off but it comes back on every time you start the vehicle.

I will say that my pickup seems to have much much worse traction control than most though. On top of that if you start slipping enough that motherfucker turns itself back on. Usually that is the instant you are almost getting unstuck and it cuts all power.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the most enjoyable things that can be done with my pants on is to take my AWD Subaru out in a icy snowstorm and turn off the traction control. It is almost like old school rear wheel drive, but the front is pulling too.

Well, if I have pulled off road in the snow to go hunting or something, traction control must be turned off to get out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#16]
to enjoy
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you a engineer for Mclaren?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in a 2014 Kia Optima and went to do a U-turn (legal here), and the TC cut almost all power to the front wheels.. leaving me sitting sideways in oncoming traffic.

My car doesn't have TC or ABS, and somehow I get along fine even in bad conditions.  I understand some people look at cars as appliances, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I take it off in the rain....there is two local highways that are extremly busy that I have to get on from side roads....With traction control on, the car kills itself and leaves me in the middle of traffic with the engine limited (IE slow) with it off the inner tire to the turn spins a bit but gets me outta the way...

With it dry the car hooks hard and I leave TC on and slingshot outta there (435 horse GTO)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I was stuck at the bottom of a hill in winter when we got a lot of snow.  Tires were just spinning, was stuck for an hour and a half before I learned about traction control.  I turned it off and and floored it and got up the hill ok.  Made it to work.  Whatever help it may be otherwise, traction control kept my HHR at the bottom of that hill, and I can never forgive it for that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Found that out in January up in Watertown...holy fuck TC sucks in the snow. Couldn't find how to turn it off in the rental....felt like a tard with it floored barely making it out into intersections.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I turn it off by reflex upon starting my car. Stupid feature.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Our new Caprices have it. God help you if you're in a collision and the bosses find that you had it turned off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So Marine Brother, did you take it in a place that a Hummer would go or just tall johnson grass with a few drainage ruts?
View Quote

Better than where a Hummer would go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sometimes you need wheelspin to get moving.  Traction control will kill throttle.
View Quote

even for manual transmissions?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife's car has it.  I rarely remember to turn it off before it tries to fuck me over in an intersection.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you even burn out bro!?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To fuck around

It's all that's left to slide around, since ABS
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You were doing so well up until the last part.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking this as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Because real offroading bro....
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I can turn off Traction control and stability control.

Other than to do burn outs I don't see any reason to turn it off. And lots of good reasons not to.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just went with the kids in my truck "off road" and took it off just to fuck around.  But why would you ever need to?
View Quote

Wheel speed sensor failure.

Fun.

How's that?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
To not get stuck. Traction control sucks on my work truck 2008 f150. I have to turn it off so I can get out of the mud.
When it's on the tires won't spin and I just sit there.
View Quote

+1

No better way to get bogged down in a deep mud patch than to have the computer cut power to your wheels.

ETA:  If I switch my truck into 4 wheel, the TC and RSC is coming off as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#37]
When you're off-roading, your tire treads sometimes load up with mud and you have to spin the wheels to get the tread exposed and regain traction.  

Even so, in my 4x4, I usually leave it on.  Kinda works like a limited slip differential...if a wheel lets loose, the brakes apply to that wheel and the other one starts spinning.

Lots of fun to turn it off on a snowy parking lot, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#38]
TC is dangerous in my truck off road. When I'm in the sand, I want the tires to lock so they build up a mound of sand in front of them. If the brakes unlock, I don't stop. Which is a BIG DEAL around cliffs.

If you off road a lot, you know what to do with throttle and brake better than the computer. I'm not saying it's not super useful at times, especially to unseasoned drivers, but mine pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
If it's dry the first thing I do is turn it off when I get in my car.

I'll leave it on if it's wet though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#40]
IN addition to snow, Just for fun
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When you live where it snows the fucking traction control makes it almost impossible to take off from stop signs or red lights when there is snow on the ground.
View Quote

^^^^ This.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha....antilock brakes register way lower on the suck meter than TC, but for those of us that learned to drive in snow and ice WITHOUT TC, it is merely something that delays stopping. I can stop a car on snow and ice in a shorter distance without it.

The technology is sound....I just think it has to be calibrated for little old ladies that push the brake pedal to the floor in panic stopping situations. The computer doesn't let the tires get close enough to a skid before the antilock kicks in. I will agree that they work well new for or inexperienced drivers.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. My AWD car is has a 5MT and the TC kills the throttle. I turn off the traction control to have fun in the snow. If I'm trying to get from point a to point b quickly in the snow, then I leave it on and it works really well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Traction control is for people who don't know how to drive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#45]
The best way to learn is put it in the ditch.   Then you know what it's like when the shit is about to hit the ditch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#46]
During track days, I disable it (more or less) on my Panigale.  Allows me to be more aggressive in turns, especially when trail braking.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Gotta turn that TC off to get your drift, bro

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Front wheel drive + traction control + ice = wheels stop spinning before you get out of ice patch. Makes it hard to rock a car out of a snow/ice patch if stuck.

View Quote

I learned this this past winter after getting stuck twice in the damn snow, felt like an idiot after I found out I could have pressed a button and got myself unstuck without the help of two passers by pushing me up an incline.

This is the first vehicle I have owned with traction control
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]
OP?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Traction control is for bitches that can't drive.  The go pedal doesn't have to go all the way to the floor.
Drive by wire is also absolutely retarded...

ABS is also teh they..  That shit is way too sensitive,  I lost track of how many times it has kicked in due to potholes and or a little sand in the road.
ABS is one of those features that really should be programmed out at low speeds.  If I mash on the brake peddle At less than 15 mph to avoid hitting the asshole blowing a red light, I intend to stop right fucking now and having the system modulate pressure because of a pothole isn't going to help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top