Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/29/2014 6:07:41 AM EDT
I was at a friend's shop yesterday (FFL that does custom work on handguns) and I picked up a USP45 that a customer had dropped off for something. As I picked it up I was like "cool, I don't see a lot of H&K's in here" and then I started to look it over. It didn't fit my hand, it didn't have an ambi safety-which I need, the mag release was a joke that no amount of retraining would make as effective as a standard release, and the plastic sights were piss-poor and looked like they came out of a gumball machine. I put it down before I could pick it apart any more than I had-I was really unimpressed.

I've always considered H&K pistols (aside from the P7 PSP I picked up  in the mid-2000's) to be higher quality enthusiasts guns. This gun had nothing going for it but a half decent DA trigger pull-there is no way I would buy one of these over an equivalent Sig-Sauer, or to be honest, an M&P.

Why do people buy these guns? This was not a quality weapon I would be proud to have... I'm sure it costs a considerable amount more than I normally pay for a handgun, I just don't understand how they could get the execution so wrong.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The "why pay less" crowd likes them so that's enough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#2]
In before the butthurt fanboys
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I blame video games and Stargate tv shows.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a USP Tactical in 45. Sold it. Unimpressed by it, especially for the money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
H&K doesn't give two shits about civilian sales.  Since they're hard to find in the wild, they have developed a mystique.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
HK corporate mission statement.

"Fuck you civilian.  We will treat you like a German shizer film and you will ask for seconds"
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm not an HK guy, but the Germans are know for having their shit together when it comes to manufacturing high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I like them and wouldn't get rid of my USP or USP Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Why do H&K pistols maintain desirability in the market?
View Quote

Because they make good shit?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I blame video games and Stargate tv shows.
View Quote

And 24...

I suppose I'll drop this here in the slight chance that somebody HASN'T seen it yet:

Linky
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Because a heck of a lot of handguns are bought on price alone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Because they are made for work not blinged out paper weights.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#13]
H&K fanboy
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like them and wouldn't get rid of my USP or USP Tactical.
View Quote

This.  My USP is a laser.  Great shooting gun.  Now to see if I can refurb my SL7.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#15]
A combination of movies, video games, and the it's better because it's more expensive crowd.

The VP9 sounds like a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I also do not find them impressive. The USP full size is really big and blocky to me. I just cannot get on the band wagon......... now with that said, The HK USP compact in 9MM is the absolute cats meow.
I love that pistol, but cannot for the life of me drop that coin for one when the Glocks and Smith & Wessons are a few hundred cheaper and do the exact same thing. I wold rather spend the money on more magazines and ammo.

They are nice and all that, but just cannot love them. I saw a USP 40 with the LEO DAO trigger for sale here at a LGS. Kind of freaked me out because not the normal gun you find around here. Even at 550.00 I turned it down because I have standardized on 9MM.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Hk rides name and nostalgia.
Nothing they make is worth it.

This is where we reach diminishing returns.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Every HK I've owned has had a shit sa trigger.

Guess they're good for mall ninjas who think they're more tactical than other guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I hated mine.  Replaced it with a Baby Eagle.  The Israelis make some sweet handguns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because they are made for work not blinged out paper weights.
View Quote

More Glocks, S&W, and Sigs have been doing business for years without the need for a customer reach around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Unwarranted hype.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys with tiny little baby hands don't like them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had a standard USP, a USP Tactical, and a Mk23.

None of them impressed me enough to keep.

I would like a P7M8 for CCW, but I'm not willing to pay 1200+ dollars for one.  I don't like the heel magazine release on the PSP.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Since it costs more than a glock or M&P it must be a better firearm.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#25]
offensive handgun
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I like my guns just like my coffee, Black and overpriced.

I still want a USP .45 Tactical

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Kool-aid
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a friend who owns a garage, and whenever someone drops off a nice car, he lets me sit in it and fuck with the pedals and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#29]
The USP is a decent handgun but not enough to justify the price.  However, with that being said I got the opportunity to play with a VP9 at my LGS and was actually quite impressed with the trigger.  I am in the process of acquiring an LE Model for under $700 that has NS and 3 mags.  I think at that price point it will be a solid performer for striker fired guns.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I love them, they have their upsides and downsides. Such is life.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I've owned a USP 9 for a few years now. The first time I shot it was at a local competition. I took 3rd place. I took 4th place a couple of weeks later in my division at a large Toys for Tots match (100+ competitors). Something about it makes me shoot better. Whereas with Glocks, XD's, and M&P's I never placed above maybe 6th or 7th (in small matches), here I was shooting like I hadn't before. I don't know if it was the grip, trigger, inherent accuracy of the gun; but something about it made me shoot far better than I did with other guns. The dual capture recoil system also kept recoil down to ridiculously low levels.

It's not comfortable, the trigger is decent at best, it's HUGE. But I love it.

I paid $625 for mine new and I would gladly pay the more common $800 that i see for one now if I needed to.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Some girls seek out abusive men.

Some gun people seek out a manufacturer who's motto is "you suck, and we hate you."
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Every HK I've owned has had a shit sa trigger.

Guess they're good for mall ninjas who think they're more tactical than other guns.
View Quote

You're right, I bet you could take down 20 terrorists with a fucking Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was at a friend's shop yesterday (FFL that does custom work on handguns) and I picked up a USP45 that a customer had dropped off for something. As I picked it up I was like "cool, I don't see a lot of H&K's in here" and then I started to look it over. It didn't fit my hand, it didn't have an ambi safety-which I need, the mag release was a joke that no amount of retraining would make as effective as a standard release, and the plastic sights were piss-poor and looked like they came out of a gumball machine. I put it down before I could pick it apart any more than I had-I was really unimpressed.

I've always considered H&K pistols (aside from the P7 PSP I picked up  in the mid-2000's) to be higher quality enthusiasts guns. This gun had nothing going for it but a half decent DA trigger pull-there is no way I would buy one of these over an equivalent Sig-Sauer, or to be honest, an M&P.

Why do people buy these guns? This was not a quality weapon I would be proud to have... I'm sure it costs a considerable amount more than I normally pay for a handgun, I just don't understand how they could get the execution so wrong.
View Quote

Over the years, I've owned several H&Ks, Glocks, Sigs, and even a beretta and a taurus here and there.  In my opinion, they retain their value because they are what they are.  The damned things are built like tanks (and weigh about as much)  and of course, the name.

Think about it this way:  You can get a psa, or spike's lower for less than 100.  But you go and try to pick up a colt stripped lower for that much.  People will pay for a name.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

H&K fanboy
View Quote
me too. I have 3 HK pistols, and not one has ever had a malfunction, ever. Don't know what plastic sights you're talking about, all 3 of mine have steel sights. I also own Sigs, Glocks, and a token 1911, but still prefer the HK's. When looking at them side by side to the other brands I own, they just feel better built, and look to be a higher quality. And they shoot great. YMMV of course, that's why there are many, many brands to choose from.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Their tag line, of course.  "In a world of compromise, some men don't"
Or was that a HK bumpersticker I saw on a Kia?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I love my USP .45 - except for the mag release. I have yet to figure out a way to work it that I like.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]
HK makes a quality pistol.

Whether or not that quality demands the premium it does is open for discussion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I've got a USP 40f and a P7.  You can feel the quality in both.  The USP is built like a tank, the slide locks like a bank vault and cycles like it is on ball bearings.  That said, I have never shot it very well.  The only reason that I have kept it for so long is that it is an impressive work of art.  I'll probably sell it or trade it eventually.

A Mercedes S class doesn't do anything that a Toyota Avalon can't, but there is certainly quality there that you can see and feel.  Whether that is important to you or not is a personal decision.  There is a cost to have nice things.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#41]
H&K's are very mechanically well designed.  I just prefer my M&P over a USP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why do H&K pistols maintain desirability in the market?

And because I shoot my HK better than my Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#43]
My usp .40 is the best .40 I've ever shot, so I keep it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was at a friend's shop yesterday (FFL that does custom work on handguns) and I picked up a USP45 that a customer had dropped off for something. As I picked it up I was like "cool, I don't see a lot of H&K's in here" and then I started to look it over. It didn't fit my hand, it didn't have an ambi safety-which I need (the worst mod to a weapon ever, only to appease the genetically inferior left handed "people"), the mag release was a joke that no amount of retraining would make as effective as a standard release (works just as fast or faster, you just don't know what you're doing) , and the plastic sights were piss-poor and looked like they came out of a gumball machine (mine have worked for 17 years but OK) . I put it down before I could pick it apart any more than I had-I was really unimpressed (about as unimpressive as this whiny thread).

I've always considered H&K pistols (aside from the P7 PSP I picked up  in the mid-2000's) to be higher quality enthusiasts guns. This gun had nothing going for it but a half decent DA trigger pull-there is no way I would buy one of these over an equivalent Sig-Sauer, or to be honest, an M&P. (The P7 is a novelty.  Sigs are a bad joke and the M&P offers nothing new from a Glock including the terrible trigger.)

View Quote

So much whine.  So little cheese.  Inexperienced anecdote is inexperienced anecdotally.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#45]
My HKs are a much higher quality build than my Glocks. The devil is in the details. I don't know why all the HGK haters have all these opinions about HK after picking up one of its oldest designs. Maybe you haters should pick up a P30 or HK45 and make a fair comparison from there. The USP is an almost 20 year old pistol without any updates from the original. In comparison to the three design changes Glock has had in the same time period. The fact the USP is still relevant today should be what is considered a clue. With all that said my daily carry is a Gen3 G19.

ETA I bet the OP is a 1911 guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Would always shoot low at 25yd with the USP i had. The trigger on USP's was designed to shoot midgets.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So much whine.  So little cheese.  Inexperienced anecdote is inexperienced anecdotally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at a friend's shop yesterday (FFL that does custom work on handguns) and I picked up a USP45 that a customer had dropped off for something. As I picked it up I was like "cool, I don't see a lot of H&K's in here" and then I started to look it over. It didn't fit my hand, it didn't have an ambi safety-which I need (the worst mod to a weapon ever, only to appease the genetically inferior left handed "people"), the mag release was a joke that no amount of retraining would make as effective as a standard release (works just as fast or faster, you just don't know what you're doing) , and the plastic sights were piss-poor and looked like they came out of a gumball machine (mine have worked for 17 years but OK) . I put it down before I could pick it apart any more than I had-I was really unimpressed (about as unimpressive as this whiny thread).

I've always considered H&K pistols (aside from the P7 PSP I picked up  in the mid-2000's) to be higher quality enthusiasts guns. This gun had nothing going for it but a half decent DA trigger pull-there is no way I would buy one of these over an equivalent Sig-Sauer, or to be honest, an M&P. (The P7 is a novelty.  Sigs are a bad joke and the M&P offers nothing new from a Glock including the terrible trigger.)

All this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Always wanted one, so I rented one at a range to try it out.
I was very accurate with it, but goddamn the trigger sucked!

Ill stick with my glock and CZ P07
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Aside from possibly the sights, what do any of your observations have to do with the quality of the gun?  Sounded like a lot of feelings and opinion.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#50]
My HK USPc has been the perfect gun for me for the last 16 years.  I have yet to shoot another I like better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top