Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2014 7:11:43 AM EDT
The wife and I just bought the Maxpedition Sitka bag from Amazon and plan to use it as a diaper bag.

Due date is 2 months, have a little girl on the way :)

I've searched previous topics on arfcom and have the following list:

5 spare diapers
1 package of wipes
5 zip-loc bags
1 changing pad
2 spare tactical binkies
Water
formula/breast milk
hand sanitizer
wet wash cloth in a zip-loc
Toys
2 changes of clothing, climate appropriate

I want this bag to be something we take with us when we go out for dinner, to the mall, etc and have everything we need if an emergency comes about (serious poop) that will get us back to the car and/or house.

Any input is much appreciated!

Edit: The point of using a Maxpedition bag instead of a traditional diaper bag is so that I can use it shooting/hunting after our daughter grows up instead of throwing a diaper bag away...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You forgot your tactical tampon holder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a really good idea.... if I ever actually need to use the stuff in my SHTF bag, I'll likely need a diaper as well.... or at least a change of underwear....    
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
A backpack is so much better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
A&D ointment (blue tube)
Spare t-shirt for you/wife
flour sack towel/burp cloth

Make sure some of the zip locs are gallon size to hold soiled clothes.

Nitrile gloves for those OMFG times.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2.5 year old and another on the way. The number of times I've changed a diaper and utilized the contents of our diaper bag are beyond recollection.

Things I will never leave home without (in addition to what you've already listed):
Butt Paste
Throw away changing pads
Burp cloths Also great to clean up self, objects or floor
Boogy wipes
A small baby blanket that can be rolled up or folded flat
Disinfecting wipes for toys, bottle, pacifier, etc.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats and looks good OP, only thing is maybe save grocery or newspaper bags for dirty diapers instead of the ziplocks, or in addition to them- eta butt paste from above is a good idea too .  Prepare to be puked and peed on a lot, kids are the best thing ever (other than the whole bodily fluids thing). If you feel overwhelmed remember, it is just one kid, it could have been worse (and better, all at the same time):

FWIW I was given a freebie diaper bag in our "don't shake the baby, be supportive" new parents class the hospital hosted.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
MORE DIAPERS...trust me

+1 on the buttpaste that stuff is awsome on diaper rash. In the hot, humid summer my sons diaper rash tends to respond better to go old baby powder though
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]
We go light.  The Maxpedition Versapack contains 2 or 3 diapers, a travel package of wet wipes, one change of cloths, one cloth diaper (burp cloth).  We found a nylon pouch with a clip on it that holds a roll of blue scented poop bags (probably from the pet store).  It is clipped to the outside of the bag.  HK P7 in the carry pocket.  A cookie monster doll shoved in the water bottle pocket makes it look less tactical.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]

If this is an in-use
operations bag and not the actual diaper bag then reduce the amount
of diapers you are carrying with you from 5 to 3. If you go past 3
diapers you need to be bathing the kid and you have either planned
poorly or underestimated the hearing bowel/bladder/stomach release
system which activates the moment you insert your key into the car
ignition.

Standard
deployment items:

• 2 packages of wipes,
    1 for the child, 1 for you to use.

• Need more hand
    sanitizer.

• No need for the wet
    wash cloth as you have wipes, however a dry washcloth has many many
    uses.

• A&D or other
    generic ointment.

• Burp cloth.

• Folding fisherman
    styled hat for the kid.

• Cheerios or other
    generic finger food, kept in a dry container or empty baby bottle.

MacGyver items:

• Medical tape and
    safety scissors. Many needs and uses one of which is to make an
    emergency diaper with those items and a handkerchief or burp cloth.

• Safety pin or bobby
    pin. Invaluable.

• Nail polish. You can
    dab a bit of nail polish on a kids toe and it will distract them for
    a good period of time, you've got 3 possibly 4 chances to use this
    before they get used to it or are able to get the toe into their
    mouth. Great for places where you need the old school kids seen and
    not heard approach.

• 2-3 Plastic 2
    handled disposable grocery bags. Diaper disposal use. Use to
    streamline your kit even further. Use to carry water for that
    impromptu bath for the diaper explosion you and noone could have seen
    coming.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the same bag for the 5 month old.  

Make sure you add a shirt for you.  Walking around with poo on your shirt is no fun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Once I get this little fucker potty trained, the patch will go to another arfcommer.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The wife and I just bought the Maxpedition Sitka bag from Amazon and plan to use it as a diaper bag.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F44tSNKvL.jpg

5 spare diapers
1 package of wipes
5 zip-loc bags
1 changing pad
2 spare tactical binkies
Water
formula/breast milk
hand sanitizer
Toys

I want this bag to be something we take with us when we go out for dinner, to the mall, etc and have everything we need if an emergency comes about (serious poop) that will get us back to the car and/or house.

Edit: The point of using a Maxpedition bag instead of a traditional diaper bag is so that I can use it shooting/hunting after our daughter grows up instead of throwing a diaper bag away...
View Quote

To be honest I would use a Versipack instead of a Sitka. I bought one to use for a range bag or something and the wife notices that it was very easy to carry and to use so when the baby was born she took my bag and stuffed full of diapers, wipes, etc

My son is now 5 and she still carry's that bag everywhere but now it carry's snacks, water bottle, first aid kit, wipes, germ-x and a few other things.

In the mean time I bought a Sitka and of course she tried it and she didn't care for it
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#15]
As a dad of a 2 year old.  Once you get sleep deprived and have had 5 blowout diapers...plastic grocery bags are your friend

Find a cheap, vinyl lined diaper bag....that way you won't look like a mall ninja at the playground
Toss it when kid is older

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
More wipeys! They aren't just for cleaning butts. Imagine any possible mess you baby can make, and stock appropriately.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#17]
They make a compact roll of arm & hammer treated miniature trash bags that come in very handy, I think munchkin is the brand name of the little dispenser they fit in, these come in very handy, and don't take up much space.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of great ideas guys, thanks a lot!

Keep them coming!

Also, are their any add-ons to the bag that you can't live without? I'm probably going to get the standard CCW holster and mag holders (for later), are there any organization packs that work well with the maxpedition?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Extra shirt for you.

I'd skip the wet washcloth.  Baby wipes are versatile enough and if you really need to wet something, you've already got water on your list.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I did the same thing with my kids, as it turned out, I didn't use the versapack much.

You need a bag that goes in the car, that has all the stuff you mentioned in quantity, if you use a stroller it's good if it fits in it.

In situations where I was away from the car I usually ended up with a couple diapers in one pocket and wipes in the other, Matter of fact I always had diapers and wipes on my person) or stuff in the cargo pouch on the kid sling/backpack if we were hiking.

The manpurse/tactical diaper bag ended up doing duty as my cars first aid kit.

Good list though, with a little practice you really won't need anything but diapers/wipes to successfully change the kid, but it does take a little practice to learn to do the job that way without incident.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
  • 2-3 Plastic 2handled disposable grocery bags. Diaper disposal use. Use tostreamline your kit even further. Use to carry water for thatimpromptu bath for the diaper explosion you and noone could have seencoming.
  • [/ul]

View Quote

This! Have a dozen I'd say.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:09:22 AM EDT
    [#22]
    Cheap cloth diapers to use as burp cloths.  They are wider and work better.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:12:21 AM EDT
    [#23]
    In addition to all of the great suggestions above, get yourself one of those freezable gel packets to keep the milk cold/cool on those hot days.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:21:00 AM EDT
    [#24]
    Quoted:
    They make a compact roll of arm & hammer treated miniature trash bags that come in very handy, I think munchkin is the brand name of the little dispenser they fit in, these come in very handy, and don't take up much space.
    View Quote

This is similar to the one that I have clipped to the Versipack:
    diaper bag dispenser
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:23:02 AM EDT
    [#25]
    The best baby purchase we made was the "JL Childress Full Body Changing Pad". We buy one for every expecting couple we know. We've had kids in diapers for FOUR YEARS now, so I know what I'm talking about.

It's much longer than the regular changing pads, so your baby or toddler's head and full body is protected from germs or dirt no matter where you change them. It's padded, easily cleanable, and folds up compactly.

It's on Amazon in six colors, currently $10.99 for the black one.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:23:17 AM EDT
    [#26]
    Quoted:
    A&D ointment (blue tube)

View Quote

This, this and this.  Gallon size zip locks make all the difference. Until you've seen just how swollen a huggies can get from kidney-filtered apple juice, you cannot appreciate this advice.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:25:17 AM EDT
    [#27]

Quoted:

Congrats and looks good OP, only thing is maybe save grocery or newspaper bags for dirty diapers instead of the ziplocks...

View Quote

Grocery bags for used diapers.  Ziplocks probably won't be large enough.  

Once on a trip, we stopped to change a foul diaper.  It smelled so bad that I put it in a grocery bag and tied it to the outside the car.  

I didn't want it inside the car, and didn't want to leave it on the road.  

Make certain that you get a Diaper Genie for stinky diapers at home.  Who ever designed that Diaper Genie should get a Nobel prize.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:25:37 AM EDT
    [#28]
    I use a Versipack Jumbo -- works great.  It usually has a few diapers, a portable wipes container, a changing pad, a few disposable changing pads for those "holy shit" experiences, and a few other odds and ends.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:26:11 AM EDT
    [#29]
    Quoted:

This, this and this.  Gallon size zip locks make all the difference. Until you've seen just how swollen a huggies can get from kidney-filtered apple juice, you cannot appreciate this advice.
    View Quote View All Quotes
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    A&D ointment (blue tube)

+1 We use the freezer bags, since they hold the poopy diaper stink in better than the regular bags. The freezer bags are thicker and have better zip seals - the extra money is worth it.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:26:28 AM EDT
    [#30]
    I just use the wife's. She already has it packed.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:30:32 AM EDT
    [#31]
    Large insulated cup and a thermos of hot (boiling) water.

Put cold bottle in cup, fill cup with hot water, let sit a few minutes...perfectly warmed baba.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:32:35 AM EDT
    [#32]
    Always carry a spare outfit for the kid in the diaper bag, right down to socks. You'll be glad you did when there's the inevitable diaper explosion at the mall.

We keep additional extra outfits in the trunk of the car. One time my son went through three outfits in two hours and had to leave Grandma's house wrapped in a towel. He wasn't even sick!
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:33:39 AM EDT
    [#33]
    As a father of two (13 months apart) let me keep this very simple for you.

Diapers. The more the better.
    Wipes. Tons of wipes.
    A burp cloth. Doubles as a changing pad.
    Formula/breast milk.
    Water bottle
    Extra pacifiers. If you think you need 2 add 2 more. They don't take up a lot of space but are a godsend when you need them.
    Dry snack foods in a sealed container. Cheap=ziplock expensive=hard plastic container.
    some form of butt cream for diaper rash. Powder is a bad idea as that stuff gets everywhere inside the bag.
    Spare T shirt for you/wife.
    Change of clothes for the little one.
    some type of small toy. I prefer the type with a clip so I can keep it on the outside of the bag.

Anything else is a waste of space.

Always restock the bag after getting home! I can't stress this point enough. Nothing sucks worse than forgetting to reload diapers in the bag.

As your daughter gets older you will adapt as needed and remove or add things as needed.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:43:12 AM EDT
    [#34]
    I have this bag and used it while I was a single dad. It was great for very short outings, but fills up quickly. I use the Mongo versipack for longer outings.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:51:15 AM EDT
    [#35]
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:55:17 AM EDT
    [#36]
    Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F44tSNKvL.jpg

5 spare diapers
    1 package of wipes
    5 zip-loc bags
    1 changing pad
    2 spare tactical binkies
    Water
    formula/breast milk
    hand sanitizer
    Toys

View Quote

I use a 5.11 moab 10, and it has a special lined pocket for my sig 229 with surefire light. These suggestions cover all the good stuff- boogie wipes are awesome.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:57:43 AM EDT
    [#37]
    A pack of disposable placemats. They have adhesive to keep it stuck to the table and games on it that will help entertain the kid while out to eat.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:05:29 AM EDT
    [#38]
    Don't forget about clothes for yourself, at least a clean shirt. My daughter would have ear infections and be prescribed imoxicillian.  That stuff would loosen her bowels so bad. She had a massive blowout one day, like a gallon of orange shit. And I was holding her at the time. Luckily, we were at my aunts house while on vacation and not at the mall somewhere. But I had to drive back to the hotel in my boxers and wait in the car for my wife to run up to the room and grab some clothes.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:07:15 AM EDT
    [#39]
    Overkill.
    I have never needed more than two diapers for a short trip (<4hrs) with the baby, actually I'm pretty sure never needed more than one, but one is none. A pack of wipes is good anytime, put a tube of diaper cream in there too. A pacifier is good, a toy or two, one blanket temp appropriate, one outfit change, one impermeable changing thing, a rag for feeding/burping messes, I guess hand sanitizer, I've always just preferred keeping my hands out of shit. If you don't have to have formula take the boobs with you whenever possible, otherwise a bottle of milk or formula, no need carrying water unless it's for you. Waste bag isn't a terrible idea, but I've always found a trashcan nearby, so never bothered. Hiking requirements are different.
    Stash a few diapers and wipes in the car(s) and you'll never have to worry about running out.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:10:24 AM EDT
    [#40]
    If your going to be out for a while and need to make bottles on the fly get a thermos and fill it with steaming hot water before you leave. You can make bottles with a good one for 12 hours.  I also bring a water bottle (room temp) and mix with the hot water in the pre-filled with powder formula baby bottle to get it just right.  Beats those plug car warmers or going to a store(s) and getting hot water to sit the bottle in or mix with.  

In addition to what everyone else said about diapers, wipes, clothes etc. I also carry some quick clot and a compression bandage. It takes up minimal space and weight and if you have any number of kinds of serious accidents it can make a difference.

Additionally a 55 gallon garbage bag, some empty plastic grocery bags, a spare empty bottle, diapers, and wipes, along with some of those formula single serving packets get shoved in a gallon zip lock and reside in any car the kids go in in case the bag runs dry.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:17:50 AM EDT
    [#41]

I've got the same bag and it's perfect. My advice is don't overload it. Your list sounds good except add a couple of burp towels, some diaper disposal bags, and an extra bottle. When she gets a little older, crackers or Cheerios come in handy.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:19:06 AM EDT
    [#42]
    Empty Walmart bags. Sometimes you just want that shit completely disposable and contained.

Spare shirt for you or your wife isn't a bad idea. Maybe a polo instead of a t-shirt.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:22:17 AM EDT
    [#43]
    Quoted:
    Empty Walmart bags. Sometimes you just want that shit completely disposable and contained.

Spare shirt for you or your wife isn't a bad idea. Maybe a polo instead of a t-shirt.
    View Quote

This. You WILL get thrown up on
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:29:03 AM EDT
    [#44]
    Quoted:
    Once I get this little fucker potty trained, the patch will go to another arfcommer.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/THR-Thumper/media/1A95F25F-D499-4787-BBED-9CBA0C122C19_zpsvmbok8gi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/1A95F25F-D499-4787-BBED-9CBA0C122C19_zpsvmbok8gi.jpg</a>
    View Quote

That same exact setup rides in my tactical diaper bag too
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:32:39 AM EDT
    [#45]
    Disposable table place mats for when you go to restaurants. We use these all the time.

http://www.bizrate.com/baby-feeding/5800797166.html
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:37:33 AM EDT
    [#46]
    Nitrile gloves.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:41:41 AM EDT
    [#47]
    LOL... my wife gave me something called a Diaper Dude diaper bag for my first Father's day.

It wasn't designed as a get-home bag, but it would work great as one. Low-profile, but the three pouches on the outside will each hold three loaded PMags, and the inside compartment will hold my SIG and a bunch of energy snacks.

http://www.albeebaby.com/diaper-dude-diaper-bag-in-black.html?gdftrk=gdfV21377_a_7c623_a_7c12148_a_7c100&gclid=CjwKEAjwgMieBRCB3bqB94e9lD4SJABW3sTNERkTP0uv55spYVfMTpW5Iq6JkoUt87Drb8lg_dkYCRoCulPw_wcB
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
    [#48]
    Quoted:
    Cheap cloth diapers to use as burp cloths.  They are wider and work better.
    View Quote

This is what we used as burp cloths.  

As was suggested above, I would change out the diaper pad with a couple of disposable diaper pads.   Also include a couple of small plastic trash bags.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:52:17 AM EDT
    [#49]
    Got a girl due Sept 20th myself. Have the Mongo Versipack stored in my Amazon cart at the moment for the exact same reason.
    Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:58:25 AM EDT
    [#50]
    Quoted:
    Got a girl due Sept 20th myself. Have the Mongo Versipack stored in my Amazon cart at the moment for the exact same reason.
    View Quote

Save yourself the money and use your wifes bag.   Spend that money instead on 10,000 wipes.    You will use them.
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 2
    Top Top