Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2014 6:04:52 AM EDT
Teenage girl went to Auschwitz and posted a pic of herself smiling (not pissing on a memorial, not pretending she was choking from gas, just the pic shown).  Now it's gone viral and folks are trashing her for it.

My initial kneejerk reaction was fuck those pc cunts, I hope they drown in a sea of dicks but then, I thought, I'd be pissed at fucktards running their suckholes at Arlington, is this any different?

Anyway, I'm curious what you guys think about this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/auschwitz-selfie-girl-breanna-mitchell_n_5618225.html

One man's very good opinion:
http://www.chicagonow.com/chocolate-diapers/2014/07/breanna-mitchells-auschwitz-selfie-was-poor-form-but-get-off-your-high-horses/
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it's one of millions of examples of people displaying poor taste/judgment on social media. I'm not going to get excited about this one in particular.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Good fucking grief. Teenage girls smile in selfies. Burn her at the stake.

God damned morons get butthurt over everything.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
posting selfies is stupid IMHO.
where you are at doesn't really matter
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Bit of an overreaction.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The world is full of self-absorbed idiots.  That is not going to change.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#7]
That witch hunt mentality is still alive and well in the populace.

The internet community loves to find some dirt on somebody and shake their finger at them.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Much ado about nothing.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#9]
It may have been in bad taste, but who cares?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I think people get to worked up over stupid shit, especially when you read the backstory behind the picture
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Faux rage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol, was at Dachau a couple of weeks ago and the teen-agers were being teen-agers.  At first I was a little annoyed but honestly death is not a real thing to them and they are teen-agers.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#13]
What an outrage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it's one of millions of examples of people displaying poor taste/judgment on social media. I'm not going to get excited about this one in particular.
View Quote

Was it really, though?  Vacation in another country, exciting trip, take a selfie and post it.  It seems so innocuous I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.

Now, if she was pointing at the scratch marks on the walls of the gas chambers with a big smile on her face, that would have registered.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
posting selfies is stupid IMHO.
where you are at doesn't really matter
View Quote

Man, ain't that the everloving truth!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Big fucking deal. Drama queens. Modern Rome is burning and you’re worried about this shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Omg!!  A teenage girl smiles in a selfie???? She's a kid.  She doesn't get the gravity of the place I'm sure.  I swear Facebook is the root of 90% of the world's stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lol, was at Dachau a couple of weeks ago and the teen-agers were being teen-agers.  At first I was a little annoyed but honestly death is not a real thing to them and they are teen-agers.

View Quote

Holy shit, excellent point!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Another reason to not do that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think people get to worked up over stupid shit, especially when you read the backstory behind the picture
View Quote

I concur. It isn't as if she was shouting or disturbing a national cemetery, she posed for a picture. Most people smile for pictures. I am confused how the same people mad at her are probably the ones that supported the aforementioned shouter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd smile there, not because of what happened to the people but because my country came and set them free. I would smile for the people we saved and bad people we killed. That's why I would smile there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#22]
She looks like an ignorant cunt, fucking "Princess Breana" whatever. Read up on some history and take a nap in those ovens you twat!

And before all the MYOB haters, she looks dumb enough to vote for Obama, so FO and FBHO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd smile there, not because of what happened to the people but because my country came and set them free. I would smile for the people we saved and bad people we killed. That's why I would smile there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
What an asshole.

Doesn't she know that in order to be pious enough to visit Auschwitz, you need to wear sack cloth and roll around in a pile of ashes before you enter?  To complete the appearance of a properly reverent individual, you must shed at least one tear, letting it streak down your cheeks.  No smiling allowed.  Genuflection at memorials is expected, prostrating oneself at the same even better.  And, at all time, one must be consciously aware and shameful of the ongoing plight of The JewsTM.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
She looks like an ignorant cunt, fucking "Princess Breana" whatever. Read up on some history and take a nap in those ovens you twat!

And before all the MYOB haters, she looks dumb enough to vote for Obama, so FO and FBHO.
View Quote

I'm with Aimless, much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Was it really, though?  Vacation in another country, exciting trip, take a selfie and post it.  It seems so innocuous I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.

Now, if she was pointing at the scratch marks on the walls of the gas chambers with a big smile on her face, that would have registered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a somber and solemn place where many thousands of innocent people were systematically murdered. A place where one should learn and reflect on what happened, why it happened, and how to make sure it never happens again. In my opinion, posting a smiling selfie along the lines of "hey, look at me! I'm on a BOAT!" at such a place is in poor taste, but like I said, this is hardly the only or most egregious case of that on the interwebz.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was it really, though? Vacation in another country, exciting trip, take a selfie and post it.  It seems so innocuous I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it really, though? Vacation in another country, exciting trip, take a selfie and post it.  It seems so innocuous I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.

Agreed. Especially since it was a trip she had planned with her deceased Father.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#29]
At least she visited Auschwitz. I bet most kids today have no clue what Auschwitz is
View Quote

Pretty much this..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Who cares and perhaps the whole thing is being blown out of proportion.  Or.........she was saying to herself while taking the picture something like, "OMG.........I'm like totally at Auschwitz. Did something like bad happen here...........whatever".
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's a really bizarre reaction to a photo of a smiling high school girl.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a really bizarre reaction to a photo of a smiling high school girl.  

The butt-hurt, he has a lot of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What an asshole.

Doesn't she know that in order to be pious enough to visit Auschwitz, you need to wear sack cloth and roll around in a pile of ashes before you enter?  To complete the appearance of a properly reverent individual, you must shed at least one tear, letting it streak down your cheeks.  No smiling allowed.  Genuflection at memorials is expected, prostrating oneself at the same even better.  And, at all time, one must be consciously aware and shameful of the ongoing plight of The JewsTM.

View Quote

Why? I’m not a part of their “tribe”.
Fuck that!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's a somber and solemn place where many thousands of innocent people were systematically murdered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a somber and solemn place where many thousands of innocent people were systematically murdered.

...the better part of a century ago.  What is the standard amount of time required to have passed before you let people be a little more free in their exploration of historical sites?

Can't wait until they host the 1st Annual Auschwitz 5K.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Good fucking grief. Teenage girls smile in selfies. Burn her at the stake.

God damned morons get butthurt over everything.
View Quote

And several of the comments on the huffpo article degraded into "southern redneck" attacks. How shocking.

Teen girls will be teen girls. I really don't see the big issue here.

Hell...she'd have a similar face if she was squinting from the sun being in her face (if it had been sunny...). I imagine even that wouldn't have been an excuse. I've been to concentration camp...it's somber as hell. But if I had taken a selfie, I would have been smiling. Why? B/c people fucking smile when they take pictures.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pretty much this..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
At least she visited Auschwitz. I bet most kids today have no clue what Auschwitz is

Pretty much this..

Yeah, I'll give her credit for actually being interested in learning about all of this history. I think posting a smiling selfie at Auschwitz is a minor faux pas on her part, but she certainly doesn't deserve to be digitally burned at the stake by legions of butthurt people on the intertubes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I've done worse. but it is a bit of poor taste.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I took a couple of selfies at Dachau last Saturday but I wasn't smiling and it wasn't for posting.  Place was pretty draining going from one horror to another.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet you can find pics of people smiling in all sorts of locations from past wars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, there are a lot of decaffeinated brands that taste just as good as the real thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I took a couple of selfies at Dachau last Saturday but I wasn't smiling and it wasn't for posting.  Place was pretty draining going from one horror to another.
View Quote

Which is why so many people find it odd (or even "wrong" for the easily butthurt) that one would be smiling at the site of a Nazi concentration camp. It's not a happy place. The emotions that a well-adjusted person experiences there generally do not result in smiles. So, some people seeing a picture like that naturally wonder, "why in the fuck is this girl smiling at Auschwitz?"

Personally, I'm with Aimless - who cares. But I can see why it might raise an eyebrow.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

She looks like a typical young girl.  If she is from Alabama and being white chances are that she didn't vote for Obama.

What would you want her to do, scowl in the photo?

The photo was not a commentary on where she was at but smiling for her father who had eventually taken her abroad on several occasions.    

I visited Gettysburg a few years ago and saw people smiling and laughing and taking photos and how many people died there?

Lighten up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#42]
The girl and her father had been planning on a trip there for awhile. She went after her dad passed away. I'd be very happy I managed to make the trip and honor my dad
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think as adults it's incredibly easy to lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of kids have no point of reference when it comes to *actual* horrors.

They have been (in most cases) protected from the realities of life by a soft living in an incredibly rich and comfortable society. I find it tough to blame them for a lack of somber reflection on the atrocities that occurred there a full generation before they were born. There's really nothing wrong with that, either. One of the *main points* of building up our society is to make it easier and more comfortable for our children.

You know that old saw "I go to war so my sons won't have to" and all that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Much ado about nothing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#45]
social media:

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#46]
All behavior offends someone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#47]
If she was flipping people off or being out of turn...ok.

But a simple smile?  It wasn't a mean smile or a cruel one.
She's just young.  That's all.  It don't mean nothing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That witch hunt mentality is still alive and well in the populace.

The internet community loves to find some dirt on somebody and shake their finger at them.

View Quote

Distracts people from their pathetic little lives and makes them feel superior for a few minutes.  It's awesome to be a morally superior member of the "in" gang!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, and just look at these assholes.  Kids and a park ranger smiling at Gettysburg.  Horrible; we should burn them all at the stake.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#50]
must be a slow day on the interwebs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top