Page / 9
Posted: 7/24/2014 6:42:17 AM EDT
Poll Inbound
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would this need a poll?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to have a poll for this at least have maybe as an option!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You should use a picture of Tina Fey for your avatar.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1647818_Extreme_Antisemitism_taking_hold_in_Europe_again__Jews_flee_to_Israel.html&page=4

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russia is in her backyard.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1647818_Extreme_Antisemitism_taking_hold_in_Europe_again__Jews_flee_to_Israel.html&page=4

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russian is in her backyard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russian is in her backyard.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#7]
They share a Maritime border.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They share a Maritime border.
View Quote

dbrowne doesn't recognize maritime borders.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Maps.....how the fuck do they work ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/eviegray/windowlicker.jpg

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russia is in her backyard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. Well in the context of that discussion and in support of the point he (I think) was trying to make, it kind of does.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c1c2fcc0065f972d85fe89621bdef9ad?convert_to_webp=true

He's still better than your King.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c1c2fcc0065f972d85fe89621bdef9ad?convert_to_webp=true

Who is that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He's still better than your King.
View Quote

No argument there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes Martime border. So he's right.

But no on land border.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know.  I'm torn.  I like both posters.

So they're both right.  That's how it works, right?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#19]
This is one of the most absurd arguments in the history of GD. Do we have any flat earthers here as well?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#20]
So the US "borders" Russia too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So the US "borders" Russia too.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is one of the most absurd arguments in the history of GD. Do we have any flat earthers here as well?
View Quote

**cough** scoreboard **cough*
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's just a difference in perception - not some horrible example of lack of education or intelligence.

When MOST people - especially in a huge land-mass like the U.S. - think of the word "border" they often think of a land border, and so the idea that France and Britain "border" each other is a bizarre concept to many, and Sweden/Russia seems even more far-fetched.

It's also pretty "easy" for Americans to think about borders, because they border Canada and Mexico, and are across the water from Russia up in the frozen north somewhere.  Boom.  Super-simple and easy, so there's not really any need to think about a more nuanced definition.  It doesn't mean they are crazy or stupid - it's just a different perception, or something that people haven't really thought carefully about.

Think about it this way - this thread may help "correct" (from your perspective) how people think about borders.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just a difference in perception - not some horrible example of lack of education or intelligence.

When MOST people - especially in a huge land-mass like the U.S. - think of the word "border" they often think of a land border, and so the idea that France and Britain "border" each other is a bizarre concept to many, and Sweden/Russia seems even more far-fetched.

It's also pretty "easy" for Americans to think about borders, because they border Canada and Mexico, and are across the water from Russia up in the frozen north somewhere.  Boom.  Super-simple and easy, so there's not really any need to think about a more nuanced definition.  It doesn't mean they are crazy or stupid - it's just a different perception, or something that people haven't really thought carefully about.

Think about it this way - this thread may help "correct" (from your perspective) how people think about borders.  

But some here seem to persist in their ignorance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because D Brown is trying to prove a point.

Maritime Borders

The answer for his benefit is YES

For example, from a strategic standpoint the UK has long considered that it has a border with France even though it is separated by the English Channel - it is something we have fought over and have fortified for centuries. Having a border close to any potential enemy cannot be dismissed just because there is a short stretch of water between the two land masses. This has been the case since the dawn of maritime history.

Some people don't have a lot of experience of the strategic recognition required where borders are separated by only a small strip of water.   Many people see a border as only relating to directly adjoining land masses

If you apply the logic that a border can only exists where there is direct land contact then potentially it could be claimed Kentucky has no borders with West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois or Missouri by virtue of the Ohio River and the Mississippi River.....which is clearly not the case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maritime Borders

For example, from a strategic standpoint the UK has long considered that it has a border with France even though it is separated by the English Channel - it is something we have fought over and have fortified for centuries. Having a border close to any potential enemy cannot be dismissed just because there is a short stretch of water between the two land masses. This has been the case since the dawn of maritime history.

Some people don't have a lot of experience of the strategic recognition required where borders are separated by only a small strip of water.   Many people see a border as only relating to directly adjoining land masses

If you apply the logic that a border can only exists where there is direct land contact then potentially it could be claimed Kentucky has no borders with West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois or Missouri by virtue of the Ohio River and the Mississippi River.....which is clearly not the case.

Mere strategic importance and/or proximity does not equal "border."

What you keep referring to as "maritime borders" aren't "borders." They're maritime boundaries established by treaties, generally for economic or resource management purposes. They're not "borders" in any meaningful sense of the word.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What you keep referring to as "maritime borders" aren't "borders." They're maritime boundaries established by treaties, generally for economic or resource management purposes. They're not "borders" in any meaningful sense of the word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maritime Borders

Perhaps you need to consult a dictionary?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66661

I genuinely do not think of it as ignorance.

I think that Denmark "borders" only one country - Germany.

If we include maritime borders, THEN Denmark "borders" many countries, including Canada, Sweden, Norway, and likely Poland and Russia (because of the island of Bornholm).

BOTH are legitimate ways of thinking about the concept of "borders" in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But some here seem to persist in their ignorance.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66661

I genuinely do not think of it as ignorance.

I think that Denmark "borders" only one country - Germany.

If we include maritime borders, THEN Denmark "borders" many countries, including Canada, Sweden, Norway, and likely Poland and Russia (because of the island of Bornholm).

BOTH are legitimate ways of thinking about the concept of "borders" in my opinion.

Only one is legally legitimate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Survey says, by a steady 2:1 margin, that YOU need to consult a dictionary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do Tina Fey and Sarah Palin share a border?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/border
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#35]
In... because I think a simple geography question just might turn into a 30+ page soup sandwich.    
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh. Well in the context of that discussion and in support of the point he (I think) was trying to make, it kind of does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta say yes.  Just like Japan borders China.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is my 1875 Martini-Henry (that I will be shooting tomorrow) a firearm?

Legally - where I live - the answer is NO.

Yet, I believe it is a firearm.  
View Quote

In most of the World, and by historical precedent, it is. Just like maritime borders exist.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Maritime borders do not count.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#40]
When Putin takes Finland back into the loving arms of Mother Russia, Sweden will have a land border too.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Does the U.S. border Cuba?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Please try to keep the personal attacks at the level of friendly bickering and good-natured ribbing.

View Quote

Are you really from Canada?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Maritime borders do not count.
View Quote

You should call the US State Department.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good post.

Explained that way, I'm in agreement with you fellers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Does the U.S. border Japan?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

No, the distance is too great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

So how close is close enough?

See, this is the problem with your theory that "maritime boundaries" are the same thing as "borders." Maritime boundaries are man-made, legal constructs that vary in their extent from 3 miles or less out to 200 or more miles, depending on their purposes and the agreement of the countries. Trying to use them as a definition of "border" is a complete clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Does The Pope shit in the woods ?    

Poll Inbound  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top