Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/23/2014 1:53:48 PM EDT
Not just the act of making it federally legal, but how it would coincide with gun ownership.  For myself, I have never done any drugs. Not that I am against people smoking marijuana, if thats what you want to do, go for it.  I just see these state laws being passed yet it still being federally legal is good enough for me to stay away.

Now lets say marijuana gets passed federally. I would still assume businesses have the right to restrict usage of it, the same they have the right for bring weapons on their property. How would it work if you were involved in a self defense shooting but had marijuana in your system?  Could the other lawyers say that you shouldn't have fired your weapon and you did so while under the influence?  I just feel that a lot of the people who are calling for this to be legal are not looking at all the different situations it will effect.  Car accidents, work accidents, going to the doctors, anything.

So, should you be able to have marijuana in your system and still be able to conceal/open carry a weapon?  Should partaking in one option stop you from doing the other?  What are your thoughts?   (poll inbound)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Law should be based on intent and actions, not because a certain group of people don't like it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
In before the Flightless one locks this bitch up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
People using EBT to buy weed here in Colorado.

Did it when it was illegal.

Did it when it is legal.

But, damn, it still makes me mad.

People can use welfare to buy weed but a 30 round PMAG is illegal?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to see a reliable way to test for it like we can alcohol. set limits and guidelines before making it legal. not at work and not carry a weapon while intoxicated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It should be treated like alcohol in every regard. That includes allowing the states to decide for themselves if they wish to impose additional regulations / restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Treat it like alcohol. Don't show up to work high, don't carry a gun high, don't drive high, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Laws should be based on if ones actions cause harm to someone.  If you rob someone for drug money or because you wanted a new pair of Jordan's the reason why should not be germane to the legal system.  Simply prosecute for robbery and move on.

Simple possession, manufacturing, and selling of drugs should be legal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
It's funny that people always feel the need to make it clear they don't do drugs whenever posting a thread about drugs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Marijuana is not a drug, it's a plant. It should be treated just like alcohol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
"I couldnt care less"
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Im here for the bong hits.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a drug, just as alcohol is.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't solve the problems pro-legalization folks think it will.

Adds additional complications (testing, work/use policies, etc)

Makes it easier for Mexican cartels to operate openly in the US (no, it won't put them out of business)

Other than that I'm ok with it...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Newsflash, alcohol is a drug.  Behind caffeine it is probably the most widely used mind altering substance in the world.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Newsflash, alcohol is a drug.  Behind caffeine it is probably the most widely used mind altering substance in the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nicotine...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's funny that people always feel the need to make it clear they don't do drugs whenever posting a thread about drugs.
View Quote

It's a defensive reflex since a frequently-encountered response is, "You're filthy hippy stoner and are just looking to justify your disgusting, immoral addiction."  Sadly, you get that response anyway even if you've "never done drugs a day in your life."  Me, I've never done illegal drugs but I've also never shot up HGH or smoked tobacco because it's just not my thing.  I've used plenty of aspirin, ibuprofen, antibiotics, caffeine and alcohol, though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Treat it like alcohol.  Don't drive, go to work or carry while under the influence, but simply being a user of that particular drug shouldn't be a factor in gun ownership or CHL permits.  Any more than alcohol.

Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently you've missed the fact that this is GD, and the first ten responses would be accusing the OP of being a 'doper' if they don't put the disclaimer.

Now there will only be half the number of doper-sayers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Treat it like alcohol. Don't show up to work high, don't carry a gun high, don't drive high, etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]
IF it is going to be made federally legal, my vote is YES.

HOWEVER, it should be illegal to conceal carry while intoxicated, just as it is with alcohol.

I can NEVER use pot because of the jobs I want and the position I am already in. Drug use is a no go for public trust positions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, look, another pothead thread.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's because 87% of the progressive argument against it is "hurrr dopers."

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And alcohol comes from plants, just like marijuana.  Wheat, barley, sugar from beets or cane, yeast.

Marijuana should be legal because currently your federal government only prosecutes American citizens for smuggling small quantities.  Mexican illegal aliens smugglers who have less than 500 pounds in their possession are released with no prosecution to return to Mexico within about 24 hours or so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Oh, look, another pothead thread.
View Quote

Wouldn't be the same without you.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It should be treated like alcohol in every regard. That includes allowing the states to decide for themselves if they wish to impose additional regulations / restrictions.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude, where's my gun?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it should be made legal and treated like alcohol. From a medical standpoint, if there's even potential or the impression that it would benefit a sick person, it would be stupid not to allow it based on outdated impressions and dogma. understand that every drug/treatment doesn't work for every individual- none of them have a "universal adapter". Also that opinions of doctors vary on EVERY treatment. As far as abuse potential, things like prescription painkillers are a much larger problem, but they are and will always be in circulation. For recreation it should be the same as alcohol. The part that I find most disturbing is the "selective enforcement" on it. The fact that its illegal under federal law, but the laws of various states have decided to legalize it under various circumstances, opens up a huge can of worms regarding laws in general and the matter of the federal government  performing its duties.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I see no reason a pot user can't still keep and carry guns. I would treat it like getting drunk, if I'm going to get drunk, I put the guns away.

I am against legalizing weed though. I would prefer we just decriminalize it. We don't need more shit regulated, but it is pretty stupid to keep arresting people for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IBTL
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep allowing business owners to restrict employees from doing it if the owner doesn't want it in the work place just like alcohol.. Take away the EBT debit card system so that you can't run to an ATM for the cash to buy pot or anything else you really don't NEED and I'm good with legalizing it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#36]
People hunt while hungover thousands of times a year. I would wager that a great many of those hungover people would blow greater than a .08.  Being stoned does not render you completely insensate and incapable of any  rational action, and the only people who insist that that is the case tend to do it while sipping down a scotch on the rocks or polishing off a six pack, while declaring "booze doesn't slow me down one little bit-I drove home from the bar after 3 pitchers of coors light (granted, coors light isn't actually beer, but still)" and then calling someone who smokes a joint at home a pot junkie.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Smoking marijuana makes you stupid and we already have enough dumb people in the world. Marijuana should remain illegal!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Smoking marijuana makes you stupid and we already have enough dumb people in the world. Marijuana should remain illegal!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Treat it like alcohol.  Don't drive, go to work or carry while under the influence, but simply being a user of that particular drug shouldn't be a factor in gun ownership or CHL permits.  Any more than alcohol.

Apparently you've missed the fact that this is GD, and the first ten responses would be accusing the OP of being a 'doper' if they don't put the disclaimer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He also probably doesn't want to be banned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
This shit again? You need to fucking get out more. If you don't do the dope then I guess you have nothing to worry about.

ETA: I could care less what people do and no I don't smoke dope, crack, smack or cock thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]
IBTL

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Though I've never had it yet, I am for making it legal across the US. I don't think it's any better or worse than alcohol. Each have their good and bad points.

However; maybe they should have stipulations on buying it such as only so much for people 18-25 at a certain price, another amount for people 25-55 with a different price, and a large amount and cheap price for anyone over 55 as they might us it the most due to health reasons. I don't know? And no availability for EBT/FSA people or illegals.

I think they should make online gambling and prostitution 50 state legal too so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.clipartbest.com/download?clipart=eiMALoynT

Thank you for making my point!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#46]
IBTL
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.clipartbest.com/download?clipart=eiMALoynT

Carl Sagan smoked marijuana.
Want to reconsider your blanket statement?
Because the one who sounds dumb here is.... well, you know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't drink and I don't smoke.

If MJ became legal I would continue not drinking or smoking...

For those that do partake though I view it as no different than alcohol.  Don't drink and drive, Don't drink and shoot.  Don't smoke MJ and drive or shoot.  Know your limits and stay within them.  Be responsible.

I'm for harsh penalties if you cause harm to others while under the influence.

I'm iffy on penalties being levied before any harm has occurred... If any are to exist then they should be purely financial based on the subjects income to curtail their ability to purchase the substance they seem to have a problem handling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't agree with you anymore, but its people's choice all I ask is my tax dollars don't go to lazy ass wastes of lives to support their habit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top