Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 10:16:51 AM EDT
I was to busy screwing around in school to pay attention in 1984....was there consensus it was justified.......did he really look at one of the thugs after he shot him and say "mehhh, you look alright how about another one"....paraphrasing but you get the jest
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]

this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was to busy screwing around in school to pay attention in 1984....was there consensus it was justified.......did he really look at one of the thugs after he shot him and say "mehhh, you look alright how about another one"....paraphrasing but you get the jest
View Quote

I was 33 years old at the time and living in Wyoming, I felt he deserved a public service award.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the midwest, many of us wondered why he left survivors.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was 33 years old at the time and living in Wyoming, I felt he deserved a public service award.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was consensus it was justified.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of confusion that this would be a problem by everybody, except for the panty-twisting pansies on the east coast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much a grass roots hero.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]
My grandfather was a mild-mannered PR exec living in Manhattan at the time.  I remember he told us he went to a fund raiser and donated cash to Goetz' defense fund.

The city was pretty well fed up with street thugs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on whether you were black or white.

P.S. Anyone remember that MAD Magazine put out this cut-out mask?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Good shoot

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#11]
General consensus was he should not have been prosecuted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Depends on whether you were black or white.

P.S. Anyone remember that MAD Magazine put out this cut-out mask?

http://d1g4sq00ps2bp3.cloudfront.net/img/_categories/_thumbs/Comic_Art/Mad_Art/Misc_Artists/13847madt.jpg
View Quote

Has nothing to do with black or white, Street Thugs are Street Thugs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I thought he should have been given an award.
View Quote
this

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I was 20 and stationed in Germany, I don't recall much about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
He should have lawyered up, but instead he made those damaging statements to the police after the shooting.

Eta: Even though he beat the charges except the weapons charges, he never should have made those statements.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I was living/working in NYC at the time. It was like the movie Death Wish coming true. He truly made the mistake of poor bullet placement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]
NY was such a shithole then and people were cheering anyone that stood up to the daily thuggery. Looking at pics of NY from the 70s and 80s and it almost doesn't look recognizable.   Sadly, I think it's headed there again.

On NatGeo's 80's mini series, they even showed black people cheering him on and saying he was totally justified.  That wouldn't happen today.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
this  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this  

X2
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I was in elementary school in new york not far from where when that happened
I remember being on the playground and instead of playing cops and robbers we played Bernie Goetz and robbers one day. Everyone wanted to play Bernie.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Two things:

F off, it's not that long ago to make me an "old guy"!

Two, typical split. Libtards were outraged, normal people cheered him on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, even in NYC he got off on the shooting charges, and that was after the "You don't look so bad, here's another" comment and other poorly thought-out public statements.  He was convicted only of carrying a loaded, unlicensed weapon in a public place.

The one that Goetz put in a wheelchair, Cabey, is the only one who wasn't charged with a violent crime later. According to Wiki, here is what happened to the remaining three:

"In May 1985, Ramseur held a gun while an associate raped, sodomized and robbed a pregnant 18-year-old woman on the rooftop of a Bronx building, and in 1986 was sentenced to 8? to 25 years in prison. According to the New York State Department of Corrections[75] inmate search site, Ramseur served his sentence and was released in July 2010. Ramseur was found dead of a drug overdose, in an apparent suicide, in a Bronx motel room on December 22, 2011, the 27th anniversary of the incident on the No. 2 train."

"Barry Allen committed two robberies after the shooting, the first a 1986 chain snatching in the elevator of the building where he lived.[61] The second arrest, in May 1991, brought him a sentence of three and a half to seven years for probation violation and third degree robbery. He was released on parole in December 1995."

"After a number of minor arrests for petty offenses, Troy Canty was ordered to undergo an 18-month drug treatment program at a rehabilitation center, which he completed in 1989.[79][80] He was later charged with assault, robbery, and resisting arrest in an altercation with his common-law wife in August 1996 but was not convicted and did not serve time."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I think a lot is where you lived in the country at that time.
Here in Texas most thought good shoot.
If you were somewhere else it very well might be great indignation and horror at shooting the "children".

Myself I was hoping he would never be found.
Can't remember exactly but I think he actually turned himself in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, even in NYC he got off on the shooting charges, and that was after the "You don't look so bad, here's another" comment and other poorly thought-out public statements.  He was convicted only of carrying a loaded, unlicensed weapon in a public place.

The one that Goetz put in a wheelchair, Cabey, is the only one who wasn't charged with a violent crime later. According to Wiki, here is what happened to the remaining three:

"In May 1985, Ramseur held a gun while an associate raped, sodomized and robbed a pregnant 18-year-old woman on the rooftop of a Bronx building, and in 1986 was sentenced to 8? to 25 years in prison. According to the New York State Department of Corrections[75] inmate search site, Ramseur served his sentence and was released in July 2010. Ramseur was found dead of a drug overdose, in an apparent suicide, in a Bronx motel room on December 22, 2011, the 27th anniversary of the incident on the No. 2 train."

"Barry Allen committed two robberies after the shooting, the first a 1986 chain snatching in the elevator of the building where he lived.[61] The second arrest, in May 1991, brought him a sentence of three and a half to seven years for probation violation and third degree robbery. He was released on parole in December 1995."

"After a number of minor arrests for petty offenses, Troy Canty was ordered to undergo an 18-month drug treatment program at a rehabilitation center, which he completed in 1989.[79][80] He was later charged with assault, robbery, and resisting arrest in an altercation with his common-law wife in August 1996 but was not convicted and did not serve time."
View Quote

somebody should use that as a signature line
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Me too

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#26]
He was a folk hero to the public. But not to government and their agencies, and not to minorities, who were the "innocent victims".

He should have received an honorary Masters degree in Having Balls, plus a lifetime pension.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I was in 7th grade at the time, From what I remember the media tried to portrayed Goetz as a racist Bronson like vigilante. I saw him as a nerdy guy, who got fed up being a victim, and decided to stand up to the ghetto trash that permeate that shithole know as New York City.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Sort of like the Travon deal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Everybody I knew, black and white sided with Goetz.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#31]
good shoot
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#33]
When he was on Opie and Anthony years ago they threw what Goetz thought was his CD to get a rise out of him. It got scary serious for a second, the guy appears to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

ETA: haha Master PO

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Regarded as a hero who finally had enough and stood up for what is right.

They said he was concerned for the bystanders after it happened and was making sure everybody was alright.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Hero of the people, enemy of the state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#36]
My thoughts were he should have spent more time at the range and he should have been given medals/rewards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was living/working in NYC at the time. It was like the movie Death Wish coming true. He truly made the mistake of poor bullet placement.
View Quote

Badguy #1 1 in a wheelchair, BG#2 one with a center mass hit, BG#3 one with 2 hits from one shot(arm and side of torso), BG#4 hit in the back/shoulder. that is 2 or 3 out of the fight from a .38 snubnose while under stress and having not practiced ever with the firearm (first shot was the first post factory shot that gun had fired based on loudness and forensic expert testimony). That is DANM good I would think.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Me and nearly everyone I knew thought that Goetz was justified in shooting the thugs.

The subsequent criminal activities of several of them confirmed that opinion.

Me and everyone else also thought Goetz was foolish to have turned himself in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Good.....with no grumpy cat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

First, WTF? Old Guys?

Second, +1 to the award.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Badguy #1 1 in a wheelchair, BG#2 one with a center mass hit, BG#3 one with 2 hits from one shot(arm and side of torso), BG#4 hit in the back/shoulder. that is 2 or 3 out of the fight from a .38 snubnose while under stress and having not practiced ever with the firearm (first shot was the first post factory shot that gun had fired based on loudness and forensic expert testimony). That is DANM good I would think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DANM good, indeed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sort of like the Travon deal.
View Quote

Yep, Bernie was a "vigilante" and the poor little children he shot were just going to play pinball when he gunned them down.

ETA: I'm taking about the way he was treated by the media.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't remember the general public being so positive as some of you guys here make it out to being.

There were plenty of liberals who said he was a racist, and other liberals who said he was a vigailante acting as judge, jury, and executioner.

ITS THE SAME LIBERAL CRAP YOU HEAR TODAY.....from the same wooses who'd rather be a defensless victim and think they need only be armed with a cell phone to dial 911 and stop their rape or murder in progress.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems pretty doubtful, since the kid in question only had one gunshot wound.

But, I guess we have to take these upstanding youths at their word that they were "only [panhandling] asking for $5" rather than trying to get Goetz to draw his wallet, thereby making for a much easier mugging.  This is perhaps the most common tactic in muggings: "hey, we'll go away if you just give us a buck" - no, bad things are about to happen to you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I lived in northern New Jersey at the time and my father worked in New York City. Most of the opinions I recall agreed with the (untrue) "You don't look so bad, here's another," version of the shooting. IIRC, one of the area newspapers printed a retraction of some of their opinion columns when Troy Canty and James Ramseur admitted, years later, that they intended to rob Goetz.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Not much CCW back then, even outside NYC.  Lots of handwringing over what he 'should' of done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

No. Not during the shooting. But he apparently did say that while talking to the police later. Yes, his stupid comments without a lawyer present came back to hurt him...

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Everyone was pretty good with it except with the one.  You don't look too bad. Here's  another one comment .
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Good shoot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#50]

How true.  Lots of us in flyover land were rooting for him.  He didn't live up to our expectations.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top