Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/20/2014 3:30:35 PM EDT
Posted this in AR Discussion as well, but this place has more traffic. Frustrating day at the range. Went to sight in my new Eotech exps 2-0. Before any of this I sighted in at 25yds to what I thought was acceptable. Was nailing clays with one shots and destroying them. Decided to move out to 50yds and things got interesting. Basically even after some adjustments I was all over the place. Brought it back in to 25yds and here are my targets from that.

Rifle:
Barrel - Spikes Tactical 14.5" Upper midlength 1/7 twist w/ pinned a2x
Upper - Spikes Tactical flat top upper
Lower - Preban
Trigger - Wilson Combat single stage

Ammo used:
Federal Bulk 223 55gr

Bench shooting using the little nub on the left for barrel support

The five shot group in the center of the target is from 50 yards out. I then moved it back into 25 yards and all the corner groups are at 25 yards.

Then moved back out to 50 yards and just did one five shot group before I packed up and left.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Loose mount
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You were resting the barrel on that nub? That could be part of your issue. Why are you resting the barrel on something (putting downward pressure on a warm barrel) when you have a freefloat handguard? That can easily account for the larger/unpredictable group. Also could be the mount as mentioned earlier - though I would have assumed you checked that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Put some real glass on it like a 25x to see if its you or the eotech.  If you can stack them with good glass, then you can't aim with a huge EO tech dot, however that is actually good shooting at 100 with no magnification.  I would be happy with that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Get an actual bench rest for the rifle and see what it does at 50. Zero it at 50, and see what it does at 25. That's what I'd do anyways. Probably better advice out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put some real glass on it like a 25x to see if its you or the eotech.  If you can stack them with good glass, then you can't aim with a huge EO tech dot, however that is actually good shooting at 100 with no magnification.  I would be happy with that.
View Quote

EOTech center dots are 1MOA.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you Michael J. Fox?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It might have been what you were using as a support, lay on the ground in the prone with a sand bag or something for support, and follow basic marksmanship principles. You should be on unless there is something wrong with the weapon, optics, or the way you are shooting.

99 times out of 100 though it is the shooters fault and not the weapon though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Something is loose.  Optic, barrel, check everything.

Or maybe you can't shoot for shit.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
In for advice. I'm still getting the hang of bench rest shooting and occasionally have similar groups.

I know one time I was resting the rifle more or less on the magazine rather than the handguard on the bag. Fixed my technique and groups tightened up instantly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
So how does the rifle shoot with the iron sites at those distances?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will have to test that next week at the range. That would of been the logical thing to try. Or try with my XTR 1-4x. But I am not logical
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
As said above - for me this is always the result of something loose - more than likely the optic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I will have to test that next week at the range. That would of been the logical thing to try. Or try with my XTR 1-4x. But I am not logical
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to see the rifles best, so shoot it with high magnification glass.  If it does better, then its you.  If not, investigate the rifle, don't waist time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As said above - for me this is always the result of something loose - more than likely the optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just tightened the optic one click, but it was on there pretty tight.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to see the rifles best, so shoot it with high magnification glass.  If it does better, then its you.  If not, investigate the rifle, don't waist time.

I don't have a high power glass. Just a Burris XTR 1-4x. I will try that out next range trip with some better ammo.

Your barrel might not care for that ammo. Try something else.

Don't rest the barrel on anything. Rest on the handguard.

Check that your barrel nut is torqued properly. I bought a PSA upper last year that was giving me vertical strings. Found that the barrel nut was just probably hand tightened. Corrected that and it shoots great.

Barrel nut should be torqued correctly. I used a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Your barrel might not care for that ammo.  Try something else.

Don't rest the barrel on anything.  Rest on the handguard.

Check that your barrel nut is torqued properly. I bought a PSA upper last year that was giving me vertical strings. Found that the barrel nut was just probably hand tightened.  Corrected that and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Holo sights require a consistent anchor point. I don't care what it says about parallax free to infinity. I've had EO's and operated friends EO's and other holo's. Consistent anchor point is more vital with holo's than traditional optics in my experience.

I no longer use Holographic sights because i just could not achieve the same accuracy as with traditional optics. But that's just me, others do well and like them just fine. I have a friend that has not been able to group at 100yds since he installed his EO.

I would start by putting a piece of tape on your stock. Make sure that tape touches your cheek in the exact same spot every single time and shoot your group.

ETA: Of course after checking nothing is lose
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holo sights require a consistent anchor point. I don't care what it says about parallax free to infinity. I've had EO's and operated friends EO's and other holo's. Consistent anchor point is more vital with holo's than traditional optics in my experience.

I no longer use Holographic sights because i just could not achieve the same accuracy as with traditional optics. But that's just me, others do well and like them just fine. I have a friend that has not been able to group at 100yds since he installed his EO.

I would start by putting a piece of tape on your stock. Make sure that tape touches your cheek in the exact same spot every single time and shoot your group.
View Quote

Thanks I will try the tape approach as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a similar problem with a free floated hbar.

Turns out there was a 1\8 inch gap between crown and base of flash hider.  Replaced A2 fh with an SEI Vortex that was flush with muzzle, problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Something is LOOSE, you have what, a 6" +  verticle spread between the first 50yd and the 2nd,  Also where did the 2 shots on the top RT of the top target? ? barely caught the paper

You should be able to have the 25 yd group at 50yds  easy with the XPS
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
1-7 twist does not work well with 55gr anything
1-7 needs a heavier bullet, try 69 gr Sierras
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
If something was loose, wouldn't my 25 yard groups look like my 50 yard groups though?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're a terrible shot, your barrel nut is loose, your optic mount is loose, or God hates you. Maybe a combination of those.
View Quote

Sort of agree. Not sure what dialing an optic in at different ranges has to do with loose groups? Unless you were making sight corrections after every round.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's BS.

My 20" 1/7 loves M193.  Both LC and Prvi.

But that's why I mentioned OP should try different ammo. Some barrels just don't like certain loads.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go home unclejoe, you're drunk
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
No.

OP needs a real bench shooting rest.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But is the shooter able of 1MOA
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea - just referring to the fact that he said that OP can't aim with the "huge EO Tech dot"
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Double check everything for tightness, and if you can not swap to a higher magnification optic to check it out,  have someone else who is familiar and proficient with an eotech shoot the rifle.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#31]
My experience with Federal American Eagle, if that is what you are using, was crap.  Couldn't believe how bad the ammo was .
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol, you are either really shitty at shooting or your gun is a piece of shit.

I am glad I don't have either problem.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You're a terrible shot, your barrel nut is loose, your optic mount is loose, or God hates you. Maybe a combination of those.
View Quote

All of these .
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Barrel twist ? 1/7 1/9 ? Maybe that
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My experience with Federal American Eagle, if that is what you are using, was crap.  Couldn't believe how bad the ammo was .
View Quote
Must be rifle dependant.  My AR's prefer Fed Bulk 55gr. .223 Over everything but match ammo.  One of mine shoots it just as well as PRVI Match 62 gr.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm betting on shitty ammo + followthru/trigger issue + sight picture variance due to the Eotech dot.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit. By far

Get off the internet, and go shoot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Lol, you are either really shitty at shooting or your gun is a piece of shit.

I am glad I don't have either problem.
View Quote
Such a nice guy, good luck in life

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#40]
How is your vision?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

American Rifleman, June 2014 issue, pg 60-61 reports that the new "green" M855A1 is significantly less accurate in 1:7 twist barrels than it is in 1:9 barrels.

I have no data to either verify or discount their report.

I don't think this has anything to do with OP's problem.

As mentioned above, don't ever rest the barrel on a support.  Whenever possible, rest the handguard or stock on something soft, like a sandbag, or even a glove, between the stock and a hard surface.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

American Rifleman, June 2014 issue, pg 60-61 reports that the new "green" M855A1 is significantly less accurate in 1:7 twist barrels than it is in 1:9 barrels.

As mentioned above, don't ever rest the barrel on a support.  Whenever possible, rest the handguard or stock on something soft, like a sandbag, or even a glove, between the stock and a hard surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF does M855A1 have to do with anything? It will never be surplused.  No civilian had better even admit to possesing that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I will heed a lot of the advice in here. There is a kickass gun shop down the road I will bring the upper in this week to have them once over everything. Before that, this Wednesday I am going to go back to the range and try again. Resting the rail on a sandbag or something of the like and trying a different ammo. Is a caldwell rest good enough? Just the one you fill with sand? Really all I have my disposal right now. Going to use my 1-4x scope as well to see what happens. Will report back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#45]
i would shoot with irons first just to narrow down where the problem is
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i read that too.  they said that M855 shoots worse groups from 1:7 barrels than 1:9 and M855A1 does even more poorly

none of that has anything to do with this thread though...

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

i read that too.  they said that M855 shoots worse groups from 1:7 barrels than 1:9 and M855A1 does even more poorly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.  They were talking about the new lead free "green" military round.  Since there wasnt any lead in the round, the entire profile of the round was changed.  Standard 55gr rounds that we shoot dont have an armor piercing tungsten core to throw off the balance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#49]
If you were resting the actual barrel against that piece of wood, yeah, stop doing that.  Use the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Right.  They were talking about the new lead free "green" military round.  Since there wasnt any lead in the round, the entire profile of the round was changed.  Standard 55gr rounds that we shoot dont have an armor piercing tungsten core to throw off the balance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

neither the M855 or M855A1 have tungsten cores.  M855 is steel and lead; M855A1 is steel and copper.  

the i think the point in AR was that 1:9 was more accurate for both 62 gr rounds and 1:7 was settled on just for the sake of stabilizing the longer tracer round, even though the cost was less accuracy

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top