Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/22/2014 4:47:03 PM EDT
Went to lunch with a coworker in his Ranger.  We get pulled over because "his bumper mounted ball hitch is obscuring his license plate" (dont they all?)

We each received seatbelt violations.

It was so ludicrous and transparent all I could do was laugh.  Enjoy that 25 buck Mills PD.  You earned it.  

Eta:  They've been openly advertising that they are really coming down on seatbelt violations this month, but its a secondary offense here.

Whatever.  I got a chuckle, thought Id share and stir the pot a bit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Did they make you pic up any cans?

You wouldn't have gotten a ticket if you had some of these...
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been stopped for that... Pricks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
So gay.  Seatbelt laws are dumb.

Is it $25 total?  Round here, they slap $75 "court fees" onto every ticket it seems.  Even if you dont actually go to court.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How are the dags?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to drive a Ranger until recently. I was pulled over in Spokane on my way to work for the same reason. I received a warning, not ticket. Seriously? If you are going to make me late to work, at least make it be for a citation worthy stop, not some bullshit stop where you expect me to show you gratitude.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Went to lunch with a coworker in his Ranger.  We get pulled over because "his bumper mounted ball hitch is obscuring his license plate" (dont they all?)

It was so ludicrous and transparent all I could do was laugh.  Enjoy that 25 buck Mills PD.  You earned it.  
View Quote

Next time ask officer fuck face if he enjoys collecting the kings ransom.

A once noble profession, now just armed robbers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty common in WY.  See Parks vs. State of Wyoming.  Exact same case.  Guy lost.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is it $25 total?  Round here, they slap $75 "court fees" onto every ticket it seems.  Even if you dont actually go to court.

View Quote

Dunno, that's the fucked up part really.  Guy couldn't tell me what the fine was, gotta call in.  He said he thought it wasn't more than 25 bucks though.  

Nice enough guy, just following orders.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag to see all of gd tell us how much money PDs get from tickets...
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Eta:  They've been openly advertising that they are really coming down on seatbelt violations this month, but its a secondary offense here.

Whatever.  I got a chuckle, thought Id share and stir the pot a bit.
View Quote
Mills PD? Dickwads! My Uncle used to live across the street from the station. Any time we were in the garage drinking, and tinkering they would cruise the alley and mean eye us.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to drive a Ranger until recently. I was pulled over in Spokane on my way to work for the same reason. I received a warning, not ticket. Seriously? If you are going to make me late to work, at least make it be for a citation worthy stop, not some bullshit stop where you expect me to show you gratitude.
View Quote

You would have rather had a ticket?

Interesting.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dunno, that's the fucked up part really.  Guy couldn't tell me what the fine was, gotta call in.  He said he thought it wasn't more than 25 bucks though.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.  

I got $50 ticket for expired inspection (another dumb law, IMO).  It came with a $75 court fee.  Lol.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How are the dags?
View Quote

Just got home, pup is still alive.  Sun is still up though...
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Interesting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

Not really - what he's saying is that if you're going to go through the trouble - go through the trouble. Stopping and doing all the BS without the ticket just means you're dicking with people to have something to do - there's no "LAW ENFORCEMENT" in that situation.

Either enforce the law or don't - can't go 1/2 way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Seatbelt laws are dumb... almost as dumb as people who don't wear seatbelts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always wear mine, and would continue to do so if it the law was struck down.  Still shouldnt be legally mandated to do so.

Same with helmet laws.  Theyre silly and useless.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
$25? I wish! My buddy got one back in 02- right when the fine went up to $75.
IIRC its now at a $200 a pop.

Gotta keep the po-po rolling in brand new Tahoes and sporting automatic weapons to deal with all of those dangerous non-seatbelt-wearing delinquents
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

$25? I wish! My buddy got one back in 02- right when the fine went up to $75.

IIRC its now at a $200 a pop.

Gotta keep the po-po rolling in brand new Tahoes and sporting automatic weapons to deal with all of those dangerous non-seatbelt-wearing delinquents
View Quote
$250.00 now.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I always wear mine, and would continue to do so if it the law was struck down.  Still shouldnt be legally mandated to do so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

CT is like $380 for a speeding ticket doing 66 in a 65mph zone.

It is cheaper to get a lawyer.. even one at $150/hr for any kind of citation you receive. I'd rather pay the lawyers than the state - and lawyers aren't too high up on my list of people to pay either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
In MN they are $125 in ND they are $25 as well I believe, speeding tickets are $2 a mile over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is cheaper to get a lawyer.. even one at $150/hr for any kind of citation you receive. I'd rather pay the lawyers than the state - and lawyers aren't too high up on my list of people to pay either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be an illegal ticket since the radar devices have a +/- 1 mph tolerance says that right on the side of the device.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, thats crazy.  

Luckily, Ive never gotten a speeding ticket.  Well, never had to pay a speeding ticket.  I got one, but it was dropped.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks dad.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not really - what he's saying is that if you're going to go through the trouble - go through the trouble. Stopping and doing all the BS without the ticket just means you're dicking with people to have something to do - there's no "LAW ENFORCEMENT" in that situation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

That makes 0 sense. It's traffic enforcement----NOT revenue generation.

You would prefer only revenue generation?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

Exactly. You write a citation and you're a revenue generator for the king. You give a warning, and you harassing people for the sake of well....harassing people. Gotta love GD
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]
My only issue with not enforcing seatbelt laws is that hospitals have to treat you if you don't have insurance and can't pay.  I could care less if you want to drive around without a seatbelt but when you cost tax payers and hospitals money because they are obligated by law to treat you then you should be required to wear a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#29]
It is Click it month.... click it or get a ticket
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Idk what part of the state you live in but not in the Northeast. Maybe with other citations involved. Even then you send it in saying you're going to fight it and then go talk to the magistrate, see if you can work something out, then if not say you want to take it to court and then get a lawyer.

A few years ago they raised a seatbelt violation from $36 to $92. I actually had a Statey see me driving not wearing one and try to pull out to get me but I was pulling in to the gas station to get a drink. As I come out of the store I see him sitting behind the car dealership next door. I thought he might be waiting for me to pull out so decided to sit in my car and drink my soda and play on my phone. He pulled up behind my parked car with his lights on and wrote me a seatbelt violation even though I had already gotten out of the car.

Went to court and got it dropped.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I-70 in Missouri, back in the day,

Officer: Sir do you know why I stopped you?

Me: To violate my rights under the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution?

Apparently that was not the answer the cop was looking for, he wrote me for 58 in a 55.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#32]
That bastard.  How dare he.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't break the law and cops will bother you less.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks dad.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks dad.  

It's more of a selfish thing.  It takes me longer to get to work when I have to wait for them to rinse you off of the interstate.  

If it doesn't fuck up my commute, then it will clog the counter at the local gas station with donation cans.  It's sad that Subcanis became a lawn dart and now his kids need braces... but I just want my soda and laffy taffy without the guilt trip.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Once got pulled over by a Florida State Trooper for same thing, his exact words were:

"Put your seatbelt on.  It might save your life, it might not....but it WILL save you 75 dollars."

His comedic timing and straight-faced delivery were so perfect that I couldn't even get mad about it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent rebuttal. I guess your right, I am wrong, and I apologize.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Must wear seat belt in a vehicle....
Don't have to wear a helment on a motorcycle....
Illogical
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Illogical
View Quote

Shhhhh.....they'll ban motorcycles.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Illogical
View Quote

Yup..

Around here, it's totally legal to ride a motorcycle in your boxer shorts and flip flops.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I think seat belt laws are fucking retarded. I only wear mine, because I've been in 2 wrecks where my seat belt has saved my life. I don't do it because the law tells me to, I do it because it's smart.

Helmet laws on motorcycles are fucking retarded also. Government is not responsible for people's decisions about their safety.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My area: $150 for ten over. $160 for twenty over. $170 for thirty over. Might as well go all in.

Cops don't care about seatbelt laws. Locals get warnings for most traffic offenses as long as they aren't too egregious.

It's not too bad. But you can only go 5 over without a stern talking to.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Once got pulled over by a Florida State Trooper for same thing, his exact words were:

"Put your seatbelt on.  It might save your life, it might not....but it WILL save you 75 dollars."

His comedic timing and straight-faced delivery were so perfect that I couldn't even get mad about it.
View Quote

I got pulled over by a WSP a few years back...had me dead to rights....54 in a 40, no proof of insurance on board and no front licence plate....he gave my wife a ticket for no seatbelt...101 bucks....
me..
wife..
me..
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My only issue with not enforcing seatbelt laws is that hospitals have to treat you if you don't have insurance and can't pay.  I could care less if you want to drive around without a seatbelt but when you cost tax payers and hospitals money because they are obligated by law to treat you then you should be required to wear a seatbelt.
View Quote

Easy there, I have great insurance that I pay out the ear for.  I pay taxes too.  

Were getting off topic here.  I broke the law, fine.  I acknowledge that and will pay the fine.  The point is they were obviously fishing because its a secondary violation and hooked two of us on a statute that I've never heard of.  Every truck I've ever owned had the bumper ball mount holes located direct behind the aft lisence plate.  

Look, I'm not mad.  I'm still chuckling about it.  It's just so fucking obvious.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I hate bullshit stops like that.  The ball hitch, not the seat belt violation.  

There was a guy in a Jeep forum that kept getting pulled over by the same cop for not having doors on his Jeep.  Even though Jeeps are designed to be driven without the doors.  The guy took it to court and lost because the way the law was written.  Apparently, doors were required because it rolled off the assembly line with doors on it.  Judge said it was a poorly written law, and that he would not have cited him for, but since it landed in his court room, he had no choice but to enforce it as it was written.    

In other words.....The cop is a dick, but he's still right
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Easy there, I have great insurance that I pay out the ear for.  I pay taxes too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is great but not everyone is like you.  Never said you specifically were the problem either.  However everyone gets the same medical treatment.  So until hospitals and emergency responders can refuse medical service I agree with seatbelt laws.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
WTF. That is just petty bullshit. I am awfully tired of shit like this. Casper PD wrote my wife a seatbelt ticket a few weeks ago.

The idea of a seatbelt ticket just makes me mad. Its none of the governments business.

Speeding tickets I can understand.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, why wear something that might save your life?totally uncool.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
WTF. That is just petty bullshit. I am awfully tired of shit like this. Casper PD wrote my wife a seatbelt ticket a few weeks ago.

The idea of a seatbelt ticket just makes me mad. Its none of the governments business.

Speeding tickets I can understand.

View Quote

Relax, it's "click it or ticket" month.  It'll be back to normal in June for you I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Go ahead,
Laugh your ass off,
Until they stick it in and break it off in insurance rates.
ANYTHING for more $ baby!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Go ahead,
Laugh your ass off,
Until they stick it in and break it off in insurance rates.
ANYTHING for more $ baby!
View Quote

In most states it's not a moving violation and doesn't affect insurance rates.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top