Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2014 5:01:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Suicide by cop.........point a gun at the police, and you'll probably get shot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
at 53 I doubt he was outside playing airsoft, so i'm going to go with suicide by cop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Suicide is illegal, yet one of the easiest ways to die is to call the cops and pretend to threaten their lives.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#5]
If it looked real, good shoot.  Since I have an airsoft gun that looks exactly like my glock, I'm going with it looked real and good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Suicide is illegal, yet one of the easiest ways to die is to call the cops and pretend to threaten their lives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it illegal? You can't really charge a dead person.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he's talking religiously? I dunno
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure the federal government would try to charge a dead person.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#9]
What a dumbass, good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
JBT's should have known it was a fake gun.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Sad story for the guy that decided he wanted to die and for the officers involved.

Suicide is a bad enough, forcing someone else to carry it out goes beyond selfish.

(I know, if someone is at that point they don't care about how it will effect others, regardless another reminder of what LEO's face on a daily basis.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The IRS will just fine the surviving family members.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe he was trying to gain entrance to Valhalla.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Good shoot
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Selfish bastard.  Hate it for the cop(s).
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
CMP should have given him his garand!

ETA:  sucks for the cops.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

My sarcasm meter must need calibration this week.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take it in for service.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should have shot it out of his hand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I feel bad for cops who have to shoot people who do shit like that.

Good shoot though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attempted suicide is illegal in most states, nothing illegal about suicide, who are you going to charge if successful?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#26]
As a poster here in GD once told me, the police shouldn't be allowed to shoot at someone unless they shot at the police first.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
at 53 I doubt he was outside playing airsoft, so i'm going to go with suicide by cop.
View Quote

If that was the case then yes, suicide by cop.

Sad, but some people will blame the cop for this....and not realize that it can sometimes be extremely difficult for the cop to deal with such a tragedy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Jennifer Anniston has her own police force? kewl.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Do Airsofters open carry now?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How does one really define "looked real"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it looked real, good shoot.  Since I have an airsoft gun that looks exactly like my glock, I'm going with it looked real and good shoot.

Some airsoft guns are clear plastic with orange tips and all that jazz. That's probably what he means.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The caller ID'ed himself as "Frank", the dead man is also Frank. Co-incidence? Doubt it.

FWIW, I've got an airsoft 1911 that looks very realistic except for an orange barrel extension that protrudes about 1" from the slide. Paint that black, or just saw it off, it becomes hard to tell from more than a few feet away that it's a toy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#33]
damn, i saw the article pop up with the Anniston star, but they had no comments from the police yet. I guess this is why.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know why Suicide is ILLEGAL? So they can charge you with a crime if you fail and....

Life Insurance. You cannot collect Life insurance on someone who died committing a certain level of crime. Usually a "Felony".

Chances are the guy wants his family to get the insurance so he couldn't suicide himself officially, and thought accidental suicide by cop without doing a real crime, and bingo, family gets paid and he doesn't have to live.

My thoughts at least.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some airsoft guns are clear plastic with orange tips and all that jazz. That's probably what he means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Police have shot people over wallets, cellphones, spoons, anything and everything.  

The only requirement is that said object was perceived by the police as a weapon or capable of being used as one.  What it actually is has no bearing on the situation at hand, and almost no value afterwards either.

QI makes it so that any mistake is forgivable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

The caller ID'ed himself as "Frank", the dead man is also Frank. Co-incidence? Doubt it.

FWIW, I've got an airsoft 1911 that looks very realistic except for an orange barrel extension that protrudes about 1" from the slide. Paint that black, or just saw it off, it becomes hard to tell from more than a few feet away that it's a toy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The orange tip means absolutely nothing.  

Remember, he wasn't shot because he had a 'gun', he was shot because he threatened them.  This is a huge distinction, and removes basically all of reality from the situation.  All that matters is what the cop thinks he saw.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'd say if it gets you shot, it looked real enough.  

Sucks for the cop though.  I hope he has someone to talk through it with, as that's gotta be hard on the soul, even though it sure as shit seemed a righteous shoot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Remember, he wasn't shot because he had a 'gun', he was shot because he threatened them.  This is a huge distinction, and removes basically all of reality from the situation.  All that matters is what the cop thinks he saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

He threatened them by pointing what he had in his hand at them. It was outdoors, 9:30am, so you could safely assume what was in his hand was visible. Would it have been a good shoot if he pointed a bright yellow DeWalt cordless drill at them, or a bananna, instead of a realistic looking replica of a firearm?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does SBC still get your relatives a life insurance pay off?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

ANNISTON, AL (WBRC) - Anniston police officers fatally shot a man who refused to drop his weapon, which later turned out to be an airsoft gun, on Tuesday morning.

A caller who identified himself as "Frank" called 911 around 9:30 a.m. to report a "male walking round the area of Net Street and Twine Street with a firearm," the police department said in a release.

Two officers responded to the area in the Blue Mountain community and saw a white male holding a weapon.

Police Captain Allen George says the officers gave "multiple commands" for the man to drop his weapon, but he refused.

"He told him multiple times to put his gun down, put his gun down, put his gun down. I counted multiple times that he did that. And it got to the point of pleading with him for a second," Anniston Police Chief Shane Denham said at a news conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Denham confirmed the man's identity as Frank Charles Johnston, 53.

"Not only did he refuse to drop the weapon, he raised the weapon and took up a shooting stance, and pointed it at the officers," the police chief added.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/25309722/anniston-officers-fatally-shoot-man-armed-with-airsoft-gun

View Quote

Yay for my hometown...

Definitely sounds like suicide by cop.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#42]

I care.

I care about the cops who were put in a bad situation by someone who probably had mental issues.

I care about the guy's family who have to go through seeing a (presumably) loved one take this course of action.

I care about the folks who were exposed to the unpleasant sight of seeing a human being killed.

We need a little more caring in this society rather than less. I honestly feel a bit sorry for you that you've had to become so calloused . (not joking)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm calling 'Good shoot.'
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a reasonable person at the same distance, angle, time constraint, etc, would not be able to distinguish the airsoft toy from its real steel equivalent, then it "looks real".

Comparing the airsoft toys I've owned with the guns I've owned, anything that's not a clear plastic wal-mart gun is going to look real.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You know why Suicide is ILLEGAL? So they can charge you with a crime if you fail and....  

Life Insurance. You cannot collect Life insurance on someone who died committing a certain level of crime. Usually a "Felony".

Chances are the guy wants his family to get the insurance so he couldn't suicide himself officially, and thought accidental suicide by cop without doing a real crime, and bingo, family gets paid and he doesn't have to live.

My thoughts at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts at least.

My policy covers suicide, after two years.

Is anyone here 6' 210# with a burr and salt/pepper hair?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Blue Mountain Community?  Surely not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He threatened them by pointing what he had in his hand at them. It was outdoors, 9:30am, so you could safely assume what was in his hand was visible. Would it have been a good shoot if he pointed a bright yellow DeWalt cordless drill at them, or a bananna, instead of a realistic looking replica of a firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yes.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yes.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/FunYun1983/thidHN_zpsdabc6f1d.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/kyReeElain/banana-gun-9818.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/FunYun1983/Dewalt-16-Side_zpsc9b584b9.jpg

FTW
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
I can drop the fire control parts from my real 1911 into my air soft 1911 and they work just fine

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll take suicide by cop for $600 please
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top