Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2014 4:04:58 PM EDT
Specifically those who believe that nearly as soon as your death sentence is handed down, you should be swiftly executed.... (No death row)

Would your opinion on it change if you were wrongly convicted and you were sitting on the injection chair after being wrongly convicted of murder?

inb4pole
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread already sucks.

ibtp
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Of Course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Specifically those who believe that nearly as soon as your death sentence is handed down, you should be swiftly executed....

Would your opinion on it change if you were wrongly convicted and you were sitting on the injection chair?

inb4pole
View Quote
It's not that simple.  Most people would not be for such a thing unless there is overwhelming evidence of guilt.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not that simple.  Most people would not be for such a thing unless there is overwhelming evidence of guilt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Specifically those who believe that nearly as soon as your death sentence is handed down, you should be swiftly executed....

Would your opinion on it change if you were wrongly convicted and you were sitting on the injection chair?

inb4pole

I have seen plenty of people here in GD who believe there should not be a death row, and that people should be executed a lot sooner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the last worries I've got is being wrongly convicted and executed.
Now  a days at my age I'd die in prison any way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The people wrongly executed would be outnumbered by the people whos lives were saved due to the shortage of repeat offenders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate criminals, especially murderers and rapists as much as anybody, but, man, you can't ever take the death penalty back. Best to just keep people on ice until they die - it's probably going to cost the same anyway (because we are understandably afraid of fucking it up when we do execute them) and I just don't think that the government and the courts are trustworthy enough to make irrevocable decisions like that.

The bigger question is about the actual purpose of prison. Is it:
1. The protection of the public from dangerous people
2. Revenge for the victims/Punishment or misery for the guilty/Deterrence for offenders-yet-to-be
3. The rehabilitation of criminals so that they can become useful citizens

Whether it achieves any of those is still a third question.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If I'm wrongfully accused, convicted, and sentenced to die, I'm gonna give them a real reason to do it, on my terms.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
believing in the death penalty has nothing to do with being wrongly executed.  That's not the death penalties fault that a lot of other factors.  Ones that involve people.

There are crimes that people should be killed right away for and we move on.  Human error is human error though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I think back 100 years, military trials, found guilty, shot next morning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I think there's a happy medium- say one and only one automatic appeal after one year to a three judge panel.  If there's no new evidence in favor of the defense that could change the outcome of the original trial and no material problems found with the original trial then proceed immediately.  In the case of wrongful death of the convicted, the states should carry insurance and in most cases I dare say the next of kin of someone who ended up on death row will be quite satisfied with a life-making payout.

Once that is settled, start hanging people for armed robbery & election fraud.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You know the scumbag who bombed the Boston Marathon last year?

Why don't you take him in to live with you OP?

Oh; and first post wins again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are trying too hard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
System is fine how it is. Appeals are there so this shit doesn't happen and how many times has it really happened?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
This is like the question "If someone shot you, would you advocate gun control?"

Kind of silly, really.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think back 100 years, military trials, found guilty, shot next morning.
View Quote
That's how they did it in the militaries of some countries a hundred years ago, during wartime.  The "take 'em out behind the courthouse after the trial" thing has never been the case in the United States of America, and it's the invention of writers of bad fiction, designed to shock people on the east coast in the 1800's.  You know how CSI: Miami has gun registration in Florida?  Same thing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My girlfriend's daughter was raped and murdered at the age of 12.  The bastard has now bean on death row for 14 years, yes, longer than she was alive.  He admitted to the crime and led authorities to her body in the woods.  In cases like that, where there is no doubt whatsoever, a swifter punishment is desperately needed.  It is gut wrenching to the family to have to relive the pain all over again each time a judge/court allows yet another stupid appeal.  

I can see cases where confessions are not given, and there is a tiny shred of doubt, that a longer appeals process might have merit.  The Memphis Three were acquitted years later for instance.  But where no doubt exists, fry the bastards asap and give the families the chance to move on.  

Oh, and I might add that lawyers are a big part of this country's demise.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is like the question "If someone shot you, would you advocate gun control?"

Kind of silly, really.
View Quote

The distinction is primarily if you think that there should be a death row (i.e., a duration a time where appeals can occur and new evidence can come to light), and swift immediate execution where there never could be new evidence or appeals.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The distinction is primarily if you think that there should be a death row (i.e., a duration a time where appeals can occur and new evidence can come to light), and swift immediate execution where there never could be new evidence or appeals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of silly, really.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I am a fan of the old quote

I'd allow 1,000 bad men to go free to save the life of one innocent man.

At the same time I think appeals should only be allowed in cases where the proof isnt beyond all doubt. And then there should be a set number of appeals. 3 or less.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#23]
To many innocent people have been convicted.  Until that stops the death penalty should be stopped.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of silly, really.

Do you have an obsession with me or something?

Click.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Well that was easy. Way to put on your big boy pants this morning, little guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are trying too hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are trying too hard.

Nah; I'm just familiar with liberals and the slimy false conundrums  they spew.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

At the same time I think appeals should only be allowed in cases where the proof isnt beyond all doubt. And then there should be a set number of appeals. 3 or less.
View Quote

Not sure if you are saying you agree with that quote or not. It would royally suck to be the one innocent guy, however I'd rather have 1000 dead badguys and one poor soul mistakenly killed than 1000 badguys roaming to do as they will
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I support the death penalty just like I support firearms ownership. Why? It's a simple math equation really. It helps to create a discouraging and non-permissive environment. If you don't get killed doing something criminal than you will be killed when you get caught. Since self preservation is the most basic function of every human being on the planet it makes you think twice before you do something that could get you killed. Even if you didn't then ultimately the criminal populace would be lowered regardless so really a win win in my book.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To many innocent people have been convicted.  Until that stops the death penalty should be stopped.
View Quote

So, if a person is serving life in prison because there's no death penalty and they manage to kill a prison guard  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not sure if you are saying you agree with that quote or not. It would royally suck to be the one innocent guy, however I'd rather have 1000 dead badguys and one poor soul mistakenly killed than 1000 badguys roaming to do as they will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you feel if you were the one who was being sacrificed for "the greater good"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Specifically those who believe that nearly as soon as your death sentence is handed down, you should be swiftly executed.... (No death row)

Would your opinion on it change if you were wrongly convicted and you were sitting on the injection chair after being wrongly convicted of murder?

inb4pole
View Quote

OP likes poles
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Every death penalty sentence should automatically result in a full retrial to be held at a time of the defendant's choosing,

but not later than five years after his conviction.

That SHOULD be adequate time to prove they got the wrong guy, if in fat they did get the wrong guy.

But at the same time I believe that when the guilt of the suspect is absolutely beyond doubt, when he confessed with accurate detail,

and/or the event was witnessed by a great many people and/or the event was recorded with high quality,   where there IS no doubt

of guilt,   then in that case the death penalty should be executed quickly.     Quickly being a word that is subject to some degree of interpretation.

Not ten years from now,  but not ten minutes after the verdict, either.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This thread already sucks.

ibtp
View Quote

Stupid choices for the poll as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How would you feel if you were the one who was being sacrificed for "the greater good"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be fine with it as much as I hate it. Why? Because I understand statistics. It sucks but that's reality. By your logic we shouldn't have militarizes since we know people are bound to die.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OP likes poles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

inb4pole

OP likes poles

QFT
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

inb4pole
View Quote

I really hate airplanes when I'm on one and its about to crash
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone who supports the death penalty should be forced to attend an actual trial.   Our justice system is probably the best in the world and even still,  it stinks.

Don't get me wrong,  I am by no means a liberal hippie but I don't trust the government to lawfully kill people.   I do support making prisons as unbearable as possible and without any sense of luxury.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
You question and poll sucks.

I want neither instant execution nor long term death row.

I want 1 year death row.  During that 1 year you should get a couple "retrials".

1 year later, if you're not found not guilty, your choice of death penalty is executed.   I think the person being executed should have a few choices - hanging, injection, chair, firing squad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Good and ballsy question on GD.    Everything is fine and dandy until you're facing capital murder charges.   You have to wonder how often it happens to people who didn't deserve it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have seen plenty of people here in GD who believe there should not be a death row, and that people should be executed a lot sooner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

inb4pole

Yup.

HURR DURR
Take 'em out the courthouse and feed em into a wood chipper dick first!  
A furdy five to the head is a lot cheaper than keeping them on death row for 87 years!
etc etc

This place hates the government with a burning passion and wouldn't trust the government to plan a birthday party for a 5 year old but when it comes to the death penalty everything is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you okay with killing an innocent person to justify the death of a 1000 scumbags?

You going to pull the trigger yourself?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I support the death penalty just like I support firearms ownership. Why? It's a simple math equation really. It helps to create a discouraging and non-permissive environment. If you don't get killed doing something criminal than you will be killed when you get caught. Since self preservation is the most basic function of every human being on the planet it makes you think twice before you do something that could get you killed. Even if you didn't then ultimately the criminal populace would be lowered regardless so really a win win in my book.
View Quote

I don't think it works well as a deterrent for criminals since they are wired differently than you and I.  I really wish it did work as a deterrent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#44]
This poll is dildos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm all for the death penalty in principle.  I don't trust the courts or the people to administer it universally.

Everything's fine and dandy until an innocent person dies.
View Quote

That's pretty much the thread right there.   Quite a few jurisdictions have demonstrated that they don't have the integrity to handle the death penalty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't think it works well as a deterrent for criminals since they are wired differently than you and I.  I really wish it did work as a deterrent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't work as a deterrent because execution isn't speedy. By the time they get around to snuffing the person, half the town has moved away and the other half died or can't remember why there's an execution.
The burning anger of the original crime has faded too. So the link between crime and punishment is broken.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are you okay with killing an innocent person to justify the death of a 1000 scumbags?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's back up here for a second.  Most of the people who are "wrongly" convicted are not pure as the driven snow.  Some were actually at the crime scene but weren't the one who pulled the trigger or stabbed he knife.  Others were scumbags, but didn't have anything to do with this particular crime.  So the stories that hit the national news are a subset of the "wrongly" convicted, ie. the truly innocent who are both not scumbags and really had nothing to do with this crime.

And it's kind of a silly question you're asking.  Those 1000 scumbags won't all stay in prison for the rest of their lives and certainly a percentage would kill again.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It doesn't work as a deterrent because execution isn't speedy. By the time they get around to snuffing the person, half the town has moved away and the other half died or can't remember why there's an execution.
The burning anger of the original crime has faded too. So the link between crime and punishment is broken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  I think it would act more as a deterrent if it was swifter.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The people wrongly executed would be outnumbered by the people whos lives were saved due to the shortage of repeat offenders.
View Quote
Winner

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are trying too hard.

How many more strawmen and buzz words can you put in your posts?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top