Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/18/2014 8:20:38 PM EDT
i don't in my car, its very uncomfortable (yes i know its a bull shit excuse)
i do in everyone else's car, mainly because they're car's seat belts don't' bother me, and im not in control of the vehicle

but there was a discussion at my work about them
guy A my manager was saying they save your life no matter what
guy b, employee was saying sometimes they do more harm than good

i jumped in saying that although i don't wear mine, it saves your life
and manager started to get angry with me, turns out close friends daughter was killed for not wearing their seatbelt

but it got me thinking how many of your wear your seat belt?
(no pol basically because i don't know how)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If you dont wear your seatbelt, you're a retard.

/thread
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  Really dumb not too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Click the 'add poll' button above the OP on the right.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, but it shouldn't be required by law, and it is not in New Hampshire for adults.  I think we're the only state that doesn't have adult seat belt laws.  ETA: Or helmet laws for motorcycles, though there are other states as well that allow for no helmets.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're interested in firearms for protecting your lives and others and you don't wear a fucking seat belt whats the point in all of that...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Seat belts kill
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seat belts kill
View Quote

yea i don't know where that notion came from,
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I always wear mine unless I'm driving from 1 end of a parking lot to the other. Without it I feel naked.

I've been in one accident many years ago; having the seat be on spared me from injuries.

Edit: It's those air bags that will mess you up if you're unlucky.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear it most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes.  Really dumb not too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, always. I've been hit 3 times so far. Don't be stupid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't wear one. Buddy of mine flipped a truck that caught on fire and he couldn't get out because the seat belt had him trapped, and he died.

I understand that they save people more often than not, but I drive a 3/4 ton pick up, so unless I hit a semi-truck the majority of cars on the road aren't an immediate threat to me. If I drove a smaller vehicle I would probably be more inclined to wear a seat belt.

Definitely shouldn't be a law though, if I want to gamble with my life so be it, the state isn't here to save us from ourselves.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been in 13 car crashes.  In 5 of them, the car was totaled.  Two airbag deployments.  In two of them I was very lucky because I was not wearing my seatbelt.

I am 100% completely against seatbelt laws.  That being said, you're a complete idiot if you don't wear it.  For every accident where the belt might have killed you, there are a thousand accidents where it would save you.

As a cop friend of mine has said, "I've never unbuckled a dead body."
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes,  I was in a car accident and walked away.  Pretty sure it would have turned out different if I wasn't wearing my seatbelt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't feel comfortable unless I'm wearing one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Just seems natural anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't wear one. Buddy of mine flipped a truck that caught on fire and he couldn't get out because the seat belt had him trapped, and he died.

I understand that they save people more often than not, but I drive a 3/4 ton pick up, so unless I hit a semi-truck the majority of cars on the road aren't an immediate threat to me. If I drove a smaller vehicle I would probably be more inclined to wear a seat belt.

Definitely shouldn't be a law though, if I want to gamble with my life so be it, the state isn't here to save us from ourselves.
View Quote

Yes.

Much smarter to plan for the .01% of car crashes in which a seatbelt could be harmful than to plan for the 99.9% of crashes in which it will save you.

Also, the size of your truck wont matter when you go from 40mph to 0mph in a fraction of a second
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Every time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep sure do. As others have said I feel naked without it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Always.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Generally, in everything except my Super Duty, yea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Only because my car makes an annoying sound if I don't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I drive mostly older cars. I have two convertables. I worry about going shiney side down. I am always belted in. You should be too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes...and anyone else who rides with me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seat belts kill

probably from the one in a bazillion chance times that they actually do kill you. I work with a guy that would have been killed had he not been thrown from the car. Pure luck saved his ass. 2 others got killed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
People that don't wear seatbelts don't understand physics. Or are too fat. Since this is arfcom I'm saying...both.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Eeeyup.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I do now. Unfortunately I learned the hard way. Was a passenger in a car, we were cut off and we ran into a brick pillar. I went shoulder deep into the windshield. I walked away with a ton of stiches in my head. I saw a cop that was on the scene a few days later and he told me he had no idea how I walked away. As bad as the accident was he thought for sure he we were dead. I guess someone was watching out for me that night. I now always wear it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Saved my butt a couple times.

Kept injurys to a min. at least once.

The laws are bullshit, but even if it weren't required I'd still always wear one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#34]
It could mean life in prison if I don't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Not wearing a seat belt is a great way to be ejected through the windshield and end up dead or paralyzed for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I was 17 I think.  We were camping out for Bon Jovi tickets.  Decided to run to a buddy's house for some food about 0200.  Left someone there to hold the place in line.  I made it maybe 2 miles from the place we were waiting for the tix when I fell asleep.  There was this weird spot where two oak trees had grown around a power pole.  I hit it about 6" to the right of the center of the grill of my '84 honda accord.  According to the 2 buddy's following me, my car stood up on the nose until the roof touched the tree/pole.  It rotated approx 90 deg clockwise and fell to its wheels.

Speed was right at 55 mph.

I had a nasty bruise from the seatbelt across my chest for some time.

Sometimes, the most valuable lessons are the most expensive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Guy I used to work with always said, "I'd rather be thrown clear of the wreck."

Yeah, I told him, "that really worked out well for Tammy, didn't it?" She was a sweet young girl who worked in our office. Went off the road, was ejected. It was a closed coffin.

My sister was another who would never wear one. I nagged her about it all the time, she finally started using it.  Three months later she was involved in a five car pileup, right in the middle. Little Nissan was crushed and totalled; she walked away with just a big old bruise from the shoulder belt. She's a true believer now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote

this....
And if it's not comfortable....fix it. You can buy seat belt pads.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#39]
When driving I wear mine 100% of the time.

In the back of the ambulance, it's maybe about 15% of the time.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes.

Much smarter to plan for the .01% of car crashes in which a seatbelt could be harmful than to plan for the 99.9% of crashes in which it will save you.

Also, the size of your truck wont matter when you go from 40mph to 0mph in a fraction of a second
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Yeah, like I said I've just looked at the odds and decided I'm ok with the risk. Isn't that what life's all about? Weighing risks and deciding which you're willing to take?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Ever hit a bump and your head hits the roof and you side almost all the way over to the passenger side?  ya wear a seat belt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd wear a 5 or 7 point harness and sit in a racing style seat if the car makers would build them that way. Yes, I ALWAYS wear my seat belt, even if the belts in passenger cars are woefully inadequate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]
OK, idiot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i don't in my car, its very uncomfortable (yes i know its a bull shit excuse)
i do in everyone else's car, mainly because they're car's seat belts don't' bother me, and im not in control of the vehicle

but there was a discussion at my work about them
guy A my manager was saying they save your life no matter what
guy b, employee was saying sometimes they do more harm than good

i jumped in saying that although i don't wear mine, it saves your life
and manager started to get angry with me, turns out close friends daughter was killed for not wearing their seatbelt

but it got me thinking how many of your wear your seat belt?
View Quote

While there is a small percentage of cases were the seat beat is bad, like 0.1%, I always have worn one.  I do disagree with the laws requiring it for adults though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#45]
In my 67 it's not an option.  All others yes!
ETA for pic
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I always wear mine.  15 years in automotive damage claims estimating, I have seen some pretty horrible wrecks.  

the rare case:  in 1997, my uncle went to sleep driving a new corvette back to Alabama from tampa, florida.  a florida state trooper was 2 cars behind him when he saw my uncle's car go into the median and then proceed to flip close to 7 times.  my uncle was thrown from the vehicle on the first roll. he was not wearing the seat belt.  the doctor's who treated him reported that if he had been belted in and not thrown from the car when he was, he would not have survived the wreck. uncle had a bad case of road-rash and some broken bones but made it out alive.  

my uncle's is the rare case where not being belted-in actually saved his life.  I've also worked claims on wrecks where a driver or passenger was killed because the impact forced their head into the windshield, door, roof, or some other part of the vehicle.  if they had been belted-in, they would have walked away from the wreck.

everything considered, I always wear the seat-belt when i'm travelling in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Not when Im just driving around checking on stuff in and out on my property, but any were else hell yes. What harm can it do? And if it is unpleasant  then why did you but that car???
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#48]
It goes on automatically, almost reflexivly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#49]
On the river-NO.

In town-Hell YES.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#50]
If I hadn't worn my seat belt in the wreck I was in, I would have been ejected. It hurts like a mofo in a serious crash, but it's better than being dead/maimed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top