Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/17/2014 8:47:53 PM EDT
In what scenarios would you possibly need them, where it's dark enough to use, and the threat is far enough away to need sights - where it's safe to send rounds down range...

Humor me.

(Hidden agenda: I really want to put a fiber optic front on my CCW - T 'effing' Os aren't an option. )
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always wondered this.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know, I barely carry it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In what scenarios would you possibly need them, where it's dark enough to use, and the threat is far enough away to need sights - where it's safe to send rounds down range...

Humor me.

(Hidden agenda: I really want to put a fiber optic front on my CCW - T 'effing' Os aren't an option. )
View Quote
never shot in low light eh?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't need them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humor me.

I have.    But I knew I was shooting at paper.

In my house I am not going to pop off rounds at something I can not see.     If there is enough light to identify the target, night sites are useless.
I keep a light on all my guns anyways.    Night sites do not help at all.    Now I could see an argument for fiber optic sites.

I have had 4 pistols with night sites, but I did not buy the gun because they were there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
no need.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

CCW... not Haley Strategic nighttime class or SHTF...

*ETA: Not home defense either, THAT has WML...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine has standard factory sights.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]
But what happens if you have multiple attackers that are coming out of everywhere like I saw in that one movie?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
OP is just a cheapskate and trying to rationalize his shitty decision.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP seems spot on to me.

Now for an offensive role, they would be the bees knees.  
I can see uses for the military.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP is going to let this one slide...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

In a real deal self defense gunfight, I doubt many people would even look at the damn sights.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
There are lots of situations that are not *complete* darkness, but that may be dark enough for the night sights to come into play.

It's entirely possible to know you have a threat to engage during a very dark condition.

If nothing else, they can get you a sight index prior to activating illumination, when the light goes on you'd better be ready to react immediately.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

And my Trijicons stand out way better than the factory glock sights when Im using them with my TLR-1 in low light conditions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I schedule all my gunfights at high noon.  Night sights?  F that noise!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This

And my Trijicons stand out way better than the factory glock sights when Im using them with my TLR-1 in low light conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

The Glock sights, and one set of Trijicons I had were VERY dim.    The brightest I have seen were Trijicon I believe, on a sig 1911.    Sights were great.   Gun was a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In a real deal self defense gunfight, I doubt many people would even look at the damn sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you had a guy yelling "I'm going to rape you!" from 35 yards away carrying a broadsword?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a lawyer is attached to every bullet I fire, yes I would.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't see a problem with anything that would help you see your front sight better if needed, can you imagine every scenario possible?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
For times when it's too bright for a white light to be really useful, but dark enough that picking up the front sight is difficult.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are trying to sneak around in complete darkness, like inside your home, they will light up your face. Walk past a mirror and you'll see that I'm right.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Because I want to .

Now return downstairs and leave the adults alone.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What if you had a guy yelling "I'm going to rape you!" from 35 yards away carrying a broadsword?
View Quote

THANK YOU! Finally someone gave a plausible situation where you would need night sights on your CCW!!!

(First one in this thread! )
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I take it you have never fired your pistol in low light and have no training? If you are using a light often, I would say mostly, the target is illuminated but your sights are poorly illuminated, or not at all.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humor me.

I take it you have never fired your pistol in low light and have no training? If you are using a light often, I would say mostly, the target is illuminated but your sights are poorly illuminated, or not at all.  

With my lights, the tritium is not noticeable when they are on.

Also, once you fire one round, I doubt you will be able to see the damn things.   Especially from a 357sig.    That fucks up your night vision all kinds of ways.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#31]
When a mean animal is to far away to point shoot and a light might give away your position or cause it to charge you. Dog on meth, rabid dog, rabid coyote or any other animal.

When you have been cold cocked from behind, lost your light when you fell, come to with the guys after your wife, kids, etc.

Lots of cases where being able to see your sights might be necessary.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Glock sights, and one set of Trijicons I had were VERY dim.    The brightest I have seen were Trijicon I believe, on a sig 1911.    Sights were great.   Gun was a piece of shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

My Bright and Toughs will almost illuminate a room
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

That's how the ones were on my scorpion.   you could see the damn things 50 yards away in a holster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Errr some slight advantage rooted in human reaction in quick alignment of target acquisition and your weapon which might some how give you an advantage in a situation where a fraction of an advantage might pay off?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]
sounds like most of arfcom needs to try to use their weapon at night.
do you have your flashlight constantly on? if so, you just became a bullet magnet. light on, then off quickly. then you move. rinse repeat. its nice to know where your weapon is pointed before you light the target up

night sights are handy in many low light or no light situations
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When a mean animal is to far away to point shoot and a light might give away your position or cause it to charge you. Dog on meth, rabid dog, rabid coyote or any other animal.

When you have been cold cocked from behind, lost your light when you fell, come to with the guys after your wife, kids, etc.

Lots of cases where being able to see your sights might be necessary.
View Quote

So you would shoot at a guy in  a room where the light was so low that you could not make out normal sights, and prefer to have your night vision further degraded by a green light?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
do you have your flashlight constantly on? if so, you just became a bullet magnet. light on, then off quickly. then you move. rinse repeat. its nice to know where your weapon is pointed before you light the target up

View Quote

I have used them for hunting.   They work great when I am in a field shooting at something that does not have my wife and kid behind/in front of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Because they give me added benefit without a drawback.  Increased capability sacrificing nothing.

Seems kind of like a no-brainer to me?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe if you're blasting away at 'pretend' badguys (*eta: THAT DON'T MOVE...) where it's safe to send rounds off into complete darkness lol... aka all tac'd out at the range running dem drillz!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh god didn't we do this thread like 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
when you need to get on target and find the front sight in a hurry in low light
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Because I put my carry gun on my bedside table and if I hear anything, I simply look over and 3 green dots tell me exactly where my gun is.

My G22 has Ameriglo suppressor sights and it's the HD gun for now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to GD?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humor me.

It's true, go into a room with low light with your pistol. You can normally see the target but not your sights. That being said, I only have NS on one of my pistols and I never carry it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because I put my carry gun on my bedside table and if I hear anything, I simply look over and 3 green dots tell me exactly where my gun is.

View Quote

This post makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Half the threads we have now we did two months ago, it's GD
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Humor me.

View Quote

Movie Theater.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's true, go into a room with low light with your pistol. You can normally see the target but not your sights. That being said, I only have NS on one of my pistols and I never carry it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humor me.

In a room, I would not be using my sites.    Sounds stupid, but I am going to point shoot on anything within 4-5 yards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

But you put it on the bedside table... WHERE ELSE would it go??!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top