Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/13/2014 7:32:32 AM EDT
FYI  I will buy one when I see it in the store.  

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/technology-web/2014/03/12/made-in-us-bulb-maker-cree-announces-100-watt-led-bulb/?intcmp=obnetwork

Partial text:

While efficiency regulations banned new 100-watt incandescent bulbs in 2012, LED manufacturer Cree says the future is bright for fans of high-wattage lights.

On Wednesday, the North Carolina-based company announced its new 100-watt LED bulb, which will retail at Home Depot for $19.97.

The new product launch comes nearly one year after Cree introduced its 40- and 60-watt LED bulbs, says Cree vice president of product strategy Mike Watson. Watson says Cree was the first manufacturer to break the $10 barrier for 40-watt LED bulbs.

“We didn’t make consumer products beforehand and we weren’t looking to get into the consumer market until we realized that the competition really wasn’t providing products the consumer would adopt,” says Watson. “[W]e actually built a manufacturing facility in the U.S., hired the people to do it … and actually launched a product in a very short period of time.”

Ban on Incandescent Bulbs a Boon for Business?

The 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act mandated phase-outs for energy-inefficient incandescent bulbs. New sales of 100-watt traditional bulbs were prohibited in 2012, while 40- and 60-watt incandescents were banned Jan. 1 this year.

While Watson says the law may have helped educate consumers about LED options, he says Cree did not advocate for the regulation.

“We’ve always believed in absolute consumer choice … choice and good products [are] what drives adoption,” says Watson. He adds that Cree products became the best-selling bulbs in Home Depot before the ban even went into effect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Really cool. I love CREE.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I can damn near walk to their office in time for lunch today.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
But how can I fit it into my Surefire G2 ?

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Been slowly replacing all the bulbs in my house with LEDs.

Plus they're awesome outdoors. No bugs and I live on a lake.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
$20 for a light bulb?

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

View Quote

Yup, the LED light bulb will love you long time
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
good plan.

I don't know why all these cfl and LED makers think that I want to replace 60 or 75 watt traditional bulbs with more efficient versions.

I want bright.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got several CREE bulbs in outdoor lights and so far they've been great
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know the rated hour life of those 100 watt led's?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate CFL, hence the reason I hated the anti-incandescent legislation.

Thank you Cree, for kicking ass and offer something I would have bought regardless.

Now, you just need to figure out how to do a 3-way bulb.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

What?  How's that work?  Never heard they will not attract bugs.  I need info on this and will have to get some of these lights if true.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#14]
100 watt equivalent or 100 watt actual.

With LED there is a HUGE difference.

a 100 watt actual LED is enough to run a grow operation off of.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

View Quote

Considering it lasts well over 11 years, and doesn't waste energy, by turning it to heat, its a good deal. While I disagree with a ban, and it should be left up to the people to decide, in the long run, its much cheaper than incandescent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you Cree, for kicking ass and offer something I would have bought regardless.

View Quote

I do too.
A lot of people dont realize just how badly flourescent lighting kills paint,pictures,etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What?  How's that work?  Never heard they will not attract bugs.  I need info on this and will have to get some of these lights if true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine attracts bugs, but the hot bulb doesn't leave their bodies inside my fixtures. They just fly away eventually.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Derp, I'm sure it's equivalent.   They aren't talking about stadium lighting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Considering it lasts well over 11 years, and doesn't waste energy, by turning it to heat, its a good deal. While I disagree with a ban, and it should be left up to the people to decide, in the long run, its much cheaper than incandescent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$20 for a light bulb?

Yup.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Been buying the 60s slowly to replace my Edison's so it doesn't hurt too much at once.

They calc out as an economic positive

Never bought the pig dicks though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not enough heat, nor the correct UV wavelength to grow anything off of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bought $200 worth of Cree bulbs at home depot the other day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

thats my question too, a modern 100 watt actual LED will throw a shit ton of light.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can grow plants just fine with LEDs, hell you can grow Corals with LEDs. This specific LED may not have the wavelength for it, but point stands. 100 watts of LED power is an absolutely absurd amount of light.

For comparison:

http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/product/view/id/183/s/100-watt-elliptical-cannon-led/category/17/

THAT is a 100 watt LED light, retail 650$...
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#26]
How bright is a 100 watt LED ? Is it really practical for indoor use, or is this something that is used for floodlights, basketball court illumination, commercial grow operations, etc?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

it's a 100 watt equivalent, probably using around 18 watts of electricity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can grow plants just fine with LEDs, hell you can grow Corals with LEDs. This specific LED may not have the wavelength for it, but point stands. 100 watts of LED power is an absolutely absurd amount of light.

For comparison:

http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/product/view/id/183/s/100-watt-elliptical-cannon-led/category/17/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For comparison:

Interesting, didnt know you could do that. And that's a damn expensive light bulb
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#31]
They make great bulbs.  I read somewhere that their magic designs almost exclusively come through one guy and his team.  He is responsible for over 80% of their patents in this market.  A regular J.M. Browning of lightbulbs.

edit: Folks, this is not a 100 watt bulb, but rather puts similar output to a 100 watt incandescent.  Same thing applies for their 40w and 60w versions.  I think the 60W is something like 13watt for its current.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone know the rated hour life of those 100 watt led's?
View Quote

A guy I work with claims they put a chip in them so they stop working after about a year.

"They" do a lot of things in his world.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

no, it won't,  based on my experience with other "electronic" based lightbulbs. Mainly CFL's and a couple LEDs.  Those damn things have fragile circuit boards and with all the heat generated, the electronics fail. Sure, the LED might be good, and the poisonous mercury vapor mix in the little tube might be good for a millenia, but if the %@$@$@# bulb won't turn on, what good is it?

these new bulbs are a red herring. They are many many times the cost, don't seem to last any longer than good incandescents, and some of them are poisonous to dispose of.

I was  a HUGE proponent of CFL/LED lighting early one, but I got stung. I spent a crapload on lights that just die right away.  I'll wait til these bulbs can prove the actually last as long as they say they do.  Not based on estimates, but when these bulbs literally last ten years.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Hooray!

Glad I can buy it from them and continue to ignore those douchbags at GE.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Their advertised 60 watt is 'equivalent', so I'm guessing the 100 watt is too.

60 watt here   9.5 watts actual.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I wonder what k it puts out? 2700k, 5000k?
What is the best for inside a house?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

no, it won't,  based on my experience with other "electronic" based lightbulbs. Mainly CFL's and a couple LEDs.  Those damn things have fragile circuit boards and with all the heat generated, the electronics fail. Sure, the LED might be good, and the poisonous mercury vapor mix in the little tube might be good for a millenia, but if the %@$@$@# bulb won't turn on, what good is it?

these new bulbs are a red herring. They are many many times the cost, don't seem to last any longer than good incandescents, and some of them are poisonous to dispose of.

I was  a HUGE proponent of CFL/LED lighting early one, but I got stung. I spent a crapload on lights that just die right away.  I'll wait til these bulbs can prove the actually last as long as they say they do.  Not based on estimates, but when these bulbs literally last ten years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

I have replaced all light bulbs in my home at once with Utiltech and Cree LEDs over 18 months ago, I have yet to replace any of them. ( yes, I spent $$$ )
Sorry , it's not working for you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's an example of savings:

Lets say you have a room with 4 100w lights that are on an average of 4 hours a day and replace those with 4 18w LEDs.

Before replacement - 400w x 4hrs = 1.6KWh per day, at $0.16 per KWh (what I pay for electricity) that equals $0.26 a day or $93.44 a year.

After replacement - 18w x 4hrs = 0.288KWh per day, at $0.16 per KWh (what I pay for electricity) that equals $0.05 a day or $16.82 a year.

That is a saving in electricity of $76.62 per year for 4 bulbs, in other words the bulbs pay for themselves in just over a year.

But they have a 20 year lifespan, during which time you would probably buy 20 replacement bulbs at $1 each, so $20 (bulbs) + 20 x $76.62 = savings of $15.52.40 over 20 years for just one room and 4 bulbs.

Ok.  Now factor in the time-value of money and let us know how many bulbs that extra money save up front frrom using incandescent bulbs could have bought at future dates invested at the risk-free rate?  What about in the stock market at average rate of return?  

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Talk about harnessing the power of the sun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I replaced 3 cfl 60 watt bulbs in the past 3 months and none of them were older than 1 year. its a scam and theres mercury involved so its not exactly green.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I love Cree's flashlights. Cheaper than the rest, but just as good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

LEDs can be dimmed with a process called pulse width modulation (pwm). It's basically turning the diode on an off quickly which through persistence of vision makes it appear to be dim.  Regular dimmer switches are big variable resistors that limit current to the bulb. An incandescent light glows due to the amount of current flowing through the filament. Dimmed LEDs still require full current to work so a standard dimmer has little to no usable effect on them.  I suspect we will see new dimmer switches for LEDs that communicate to a pwm controller in the bulb.

Three way LED bulbs don't require any special lamp/fixture hardware beyond what is required by a 3 way incandescent bulb. A normal bulb has two contacts. Current is either allowed to flow through or not. Three way bulbs have three contacts and two filaments of differing wattage. You can power the low watt filament, the high watt filament or both to get your three brightnesses. A three way LED bulb would work exactly the same way. It would have two constant current drivers and two discrete strings of LEDs. They even make units with many individual LEDs on one die.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I didn't read the article, I'm straight, so please tell me, does it use 100 watts of power or does it emit the same amount of light as an incandescent 100 watt bulb?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I use the "daylight" CFLs and they work well for me. I have replaced all my "Edison" bulbs except for four in places I want instant light but they are seldom used.

Those four bulbs been in since 1992.

I really can't see myself paying $20.00 for a LED bulb but maybe $8.00.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I didn't read the article, I'm straight, so please tell me, does it use 100 watts of power or does it emit the same amount of light as an incandescent 100 watt bulb?
View Quote

Lumens, look it up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
good plan.

I don't know why all these cfl and LED makers think that I want to replace 60 or 75 watt traditional bulbs with more efficient versions.

I want bright.

View Quote

Efficiency is one thing...bright is another.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lumens, look it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lumens, look it up.

If I wanted to look it up I would have read the article.  I am on the FSA knowledge program, ain't nobody got time to read all that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe for the COTS models you find at home depot but considering LEDs can be found in more wavelengths than either incandescent or fluorescent it can definitely be done. Plus LEDs generally have a super tall bandwidth emission peak you need fewer watts to do the job.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#49]
How many lumens. If it's 1200 or more I'm game.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

You have dirty power. Do you go through microwaves every few years too?

ETA: or you bought the super cheap Chinese model.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top