Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2014 4:24:18 PM EDT
I bought my girlfriend a ruger lc9, 9mm for valentines day. its a nice cranberry color, she really liked the gun, but is doubtful about the double action trigger. were working on it, and shes doing well, considering we just shot it for the first time the other day, for maybe 3-4 mags of ammo.

she might be doubtful, but i REALLY, REALLY liked the little gun. she mentioned the trigger was weird, and was doubtful she could hit with it. i picked it up, and off hand i hit 6 shots out of 6 shots on empty cans @ 15 feet easily, then did a rapid fire of 7 of 7 in a nice group at about 15 feet.  it was easy to shoot, and reliable, i was really impressed how easy it was to hit with. best of all it was $320.00. i am seriously considering buying myself one ( in black ), and use it as my ccw.

who has one, and how do you like it?

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. Very easy to conceal in cargo shorts or jacket pocket. So far 100% reliable with 200 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Awful trigger and thumb safety?  Whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hella long trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hella long trigger pull.
View Quote

yeah, its long. but i shoot it really well. no complaints about the trigger. was thinking about the kahr cw9, but im liking the ruger a lot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
carry mine a lot in the summer, hate the trigger but i still shoot good with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Horrible trigger but better with the aftermarket upgrade. It's still not great though. If I was buying a single stack 9mm today I would get a sig 938 or kahr cw9. Brother has a kahr and it's dumb nice, just not worth it for me since I already have a g26.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I was toying with it and shot my father-in-law's a fair amount.  I would get a Shield or something else.

LCP owner, FWIW.  The compromises of the LCP are outweighed (for me) by its size.  I didn't find that to be the case with the LC9, and the chamber indicator is horrid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The DA trigger is a lot better than most. The rounded edges are comfortable. Bought one for my wife's edc. She actually carries it daily, which makes it worth it. I prefer more capacity (Glock 32) for edc, but I occasionally gank it for when I have to wear a suit and tie. Tucks nice in a 511 t shirt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
i hate the trigger even though i shoot well with it. carrying my glock19 instead. make offer
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
OP research Galloway Precision 35% reduction bar and RTK triggers. There's also some interesting content on YouTube under Galloway Precision.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I like mine a lot. Accurate, reliable, and the trigger is what it is.

Some people dont like the trigger, but, whatever. I like mine ok.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought one for my wife when she decided she was undergunned with her Sig P230.  I am very impressed with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I carried mine all last summer when I was wearing shorts-no reason, really.

I'm carrying it now because I need to give my 45's a good cleaning after a trip to the range,and I've been lazy about it.

Yeah, the long trigger pull sucks, even after removing the magazine safety. I'm not willing to pay $90 for the aftermarket trigger though, either.
It just takes some practice to get used to it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
What do you guys normally run on your Ruger LC9?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The trigger is horrible. But, my girl loves it and shoots it well. That, and the fact that it is reliable is all I care about.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Had one but sold it I didn't like the trigger and hated the mag safety because somehow when I would carry it in my pocket the mag release would get pressed and it would suck to need it in a hurry and have to reseat the mag it was very accurate tho and I don't know of anyone else that has had the same problem as me
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had mine for about four weeks and love it. The dao trigger is smooth and not too heavy, about the same as any dao revolver. I actually like this feature better than striker fired pistols, you know when the trigger is being pulled. The thumb safety is the same as a 1911, not an issue for me. I did remove the mag safety.

I have put about 100 downrange with no issues in either fmj of jhp, using both my mags. The size and weight are pretty good, the pistol disappears on my hip. OP, you got a good deal on yours. Mine was $389.99 +tax.

As for all the hate on the trigger, have you tried a Shield? Gritty and rough. Bad enough that I passed one up for $300.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had one but sold it I didn't like the trigger and hated the mag safety because somehow when I would carry it in my pocket the mag release would get pressed and it would suck to need it in a hurry and have to reseat the mag it was very accurate tho and I don't know of anyone else that has had the same problem as me
View Quote

Are your mags made by Ruger or in Italy?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Awful trigger and thumb safety?  Whatever floats your boat.
View Quote

This ! they are a better made kel-tec copy with the same looooog crappy trigger pull . my wife traded hers in on a S&W 9mm shield .
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
They came with it when I bought it new but unsure I never checked I assume they are Ruger mags
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought my LC9 used just before New Year's. I have had the opportunity to do a bit of dryfire practice and take it to the range once so far- the DAO trigger was actually much better than I expected. The pistol carries very nicely.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm thinking of either getting this or the G42, I have a G26 now and I can't conceal a double stack very well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This ! they are a better made kel-tec copy with the same looooog crappy trigger pull . my wife traded hers in on a S&W 9mm shield .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awful trigger and thumb safety? Whatever floats your boat.

I looked at a Shield at the same time I bought my LC9. I liked the grip on the Shield a little bit more, but the LC9 had a better trigger for me. I had two main problems with the Shield- 1. the shield trigger had a long take-up/ first stage that I did not like and 2. the way that I naturally gripped the shield caused my trigger finger approach angle to put my finger high on the trigger, causing rough pull due to the trigger safety feature.

I find the LC9 safety to be difficult to quickly engage but fairly easy to take off. Regardless, if you don't like it- the gun can always be carried off-safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They came with it when I bought it new but unsure I never checked I assume they are Ruger mags
View Quote

Some folks seem to have that issue with the River mags and some claim the pinky mag bottom causes it. Mine came with Italian mags and they seem to work fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks I sold it but I am open to owning another I trigger wasn't a deal breaker
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love mine. Very easy to conceal in cargo shorts or jacket pocket. So far 100% reliable with 200 rounds through it.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I upgraded mine with Galloway parts and still hated it.  I traded it in for a XDS (couldn't get my hands on a Shield at the time).  I would go with a Shield or XDS if I was buying a sub 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot it....don't like it.....but there aren't any micro mini SA plastic pistols I do like.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I pocket carry mine. Got the one with friggin laser and I think I'll take the laser off.  The trigger pull is what it is, it's easier to get used to than throwing money at it trying to make it something it wasn't designed to be.
I would buy one again if the one I have gets lost in a boating accident.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Nearly my EDC along with a J frame. I like mine, the trigger may be long but it is smooth though the whole length of pull which is more than you can say for a lot of guns. Mine is stocked with 147 gr Ranger Ts. I have one USA made mag and One Italian mag.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Carry mine everyday. Fired hundreds of rounds through it and never had an issue with any mags or with any ammo. Cheap Russian to the Hornady line, it eats it all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
DT.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I upgraded mine with Galloway parts and still hated it.  I traded it in for a XDS (couldn't get my hands on a Shield at the time).  I would go with a Shield or XDS if I was buying a sub 9mm.
View Quote

The xds just seemed too big for my pocket. The LC9 without a laser fits in the same DeSantis Nemisis the LCP with a laser came out of and hides about as well so for now I'm satisfied.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The xds just seemed too big for my pocket. The LC9 without a laser fits in the same DeSantis Nemisis the LCP with a laser came out of and hides about as well so for now I'm satisfied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pocket carry is the only reason I was considering one.  I addition to not being crazy about it, there's no way I could pocket carry an LC9 unless I wore Hammer pants.  If I could I would accept its other limitations as long as I could file down the chamber indicator.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Love mine and the LCP as well.

Yeah, they have long triggers but neither one is meant to be a damn competition gun like some here seem to think.

The LCP and LC9 are both "get off me" guns and you ain't gonna be taking a lot of time to think about the trigger pull, etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pocket carry is the only reason I was considering one.  I addition to not being crazy about it, there's no way I could pocket carry an LC9 unless I wore Hammer pants.  If I could I would accept its other limitations as long as I could file down the chamber indicator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be easy enough to file down the tab. Thought about it on mine but decided that it wasn't interfering with anything so I let it be. It sticks up pretty high.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#37]
It's one of the most comfortable guns I've found to wear in an IWB holster; it's usually the gun I wear when I'm in the house/out in the yard, etc. It shoots well and feeds almost all ammo I've given it. The trigger pull is long but not horrible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I like my LCP, it does what it is designed to do very well. Not sure what the bigger LC9 does well, it's not a pocket gun and it's not a Glock19.

I am interested in the R51 and I thought about the shield, only because they are decent shooters and compact. I shot an LC9 and was not impressed with its shoot ability, it was nowhere near the shield.

When I carry the  LCP I am always conscious of my venerability if we have a EMP or a plague outbreak. There is no way I will be able to utilize my high speed and tactical abilities with that gun, I will be wishing I was carrying my beretta and a backpack full of mags.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I love mine.  Lightweight and easy to carry.  No problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Bought one... Trigger feels like the staplegun I use to hang targets.
Gave it to my dad and bought a Kahr.

I love my Kahr.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#42]
As far as the trigger goes, it is not a target gun and no one bitches about the trigger on a J frame so why does the poor LC9 not get the same pass?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I love my Kahr.
View Quote
That's the best analogy for the trigger one could possibly come up with!
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Trigger blows, otherwise a pretty decent pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As far as the trigger goes, it is not a target gun and no one bitches about the trigger on a J frame so why does the poor LC9 not get the same pass?
View Quote

'cause it's a Ruger, dont'cha know.

I mean, jeez, it's a wonder I am alive this morning.  I carried a P95 over the weekend with my LCP in my pocket and my LC9 in my backpack.

Holy shit, I trusted my life to lowly Rugers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually like the trigger on my LC9 better than my J frame airweight.

I don't care for the loaded chamber indicator & mag safety but the smoothed off corners, smooth action & quality construction help compensate.

As stated, its an affordable, very light, very small EDC 'get off me gun' that serves that purpose as anything made right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I've toyed with getting one. The build quality is significantly better then the PF9 I handled.
But, the trigger is disappointing and the thumb safety is only on one side which makes it a NO-GO for me as a lefty.

I'm 90% convinced I'm going to pick up a Kahr CM9 close the the same price but smaller in height and length than the LC9 and has a better trigger.

I like my Glock 19, but its quite chunky compared to the micro nines.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I love my Kahr.
View Quote

I considered the Kahr CW9 when looking at compact 9's. The LC9 had a more natural grip for me, and a shorter, smoother trigger pull than the CW9, and that's saying a lot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I had one, and I replaced it with a Smith M&P Shield.  I just could not get past the trigger pull on the LC9.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My factory Ruger mags were made in Italty. Ruger subs to Mechar for them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top