Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 10/10/2013 8:07:54 PM EDT
Just looking learn from others experience.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Always run wet...
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't shoot them enough and have nothing to compare them to.
the few I have all work ( sound ) the same to me
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always run wet...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmm, i like the ones ive got, now waiting for a 30cal can
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So nothing about weight, size, mounting type?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
My only experience with them is a couple mags through a buddy's work gun (Colt Commando) with an AAC can.

I got bukakked with gas in the face.  I would think some sort of 'gas buster' charging handle would be beneficial.  All rounds fired were in F/A.  Maybe semi isnt as bad.  I dunno.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
they are not all that much quieter- I can't understand why they are an NFA  item a 22lr subsonic is much more effective sound wise unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're only buying one can get a .308 instead of a 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My only experience with them is a couple mags through a buddy's work gun (Colt Commando) with an AAC can.

I got bukakked with gas in the face.  I would think some sort of 'gas buster' charging handle would be beneficial.  All rounds fired were in F/A.  Maybe semi isnt as bad.  I dunno.

View Quote

Is a piston a better platform?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
went with the best, M4-2k

in before the ass hurt
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a 22LR gun/suppressor, actually.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
if your only going to plan on owning one, get the one with the simplest mounting setup possible.....

direct thread on if you ask me....

learn to remove and re-install non timed flash hiders or breaks such as the smith vortex and swap your suppressor across all your different 5.56 guns

yes, once you own one shooting anything without one will not be as cool.

feel free to pm me if you want more input

TT
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
i want a gemtech halo
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.  Never fired a piston AR, let alone one with a supressor.

Im sure youll get the answers you seek, here in GD, for the most part.  But I would also post your question in the Class 3 forum.  Lots of guys dont even make it to GD.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  And listen to Alemonkey.  Also, you should buy Ti.  Steel is heavy as shit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish I would have spent the extra ~$200 for a titanium can... Stainless steel is HEAVY on the end of a 16" rifle.

Granted, I love my suppressor, but lighter would have been better.

Also, don't breathe through your nose while shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I found out my sherrif is a dick when it comes to NFA

These are nice
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Spend more money. I ended up with surefires and paying for them hurt. Some of the cheaper cans have ridiculous  POI shift. I want a titanium trek next but if you will have only one, buy a good one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. You can put a 7.62 can on a 5.56 rifle and it's almost as quiet as a dedicated 5.56 can.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know you enjoyed it you filthy whore.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

they are not all that much quieter- I can't understand why they are an NFA  item a 22lr subsonic is much more effective sound wise unsuppressed.
View Quote

What?  

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Three things I learned buying a rifle can:

1) I "went backwards"... I bought a rifle can first, then a pistol can and then a 22 can. And I use them the most in the reverse order. My 22 can gets the most use, followed by the pistol can. Mostly because of number 2...

2) No matter what you do a rifle can is still "too loud". Yes you can find subsonic rifle ammo that doesn't cycle your action, but that kind of solves one problem and introduces another. It basically turns a huge boom into a smaller boom and you will still need earpro almost all of the time unless you can stand having your ears rung still.

3) Almost every rifle can will to human ears sound just like all the others... the real difference between them is WEIGHT. Buy the lightest can you can afford because suppressors are lifetime purchases for the most part and a huge hunk of steel hanging off the end of your barrel tires you out faster.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy my 22 can FIRST. Then after playing with that for YEARS I'd buy my pistol can. Then honestly I would probably NEVER get around to buying my rifle can. The "bang for your buck" is just not there with rifle cans in my opinion. The ammo will always be supersonic (resulting in a loud sonic crack) unless you custom reload subsonic and live with your semiauto becoming a bolt action. I'd rather have the best 22 can and a million rounds of subsonic 22 than my rifle can 9 days out of 10.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it was my NFA cherry being popped at the time, so I didnt mind it as much as I normally would have.

Not something Id like to deal with every time I shot, though.  But again, maybe its different in semiauto.  I was doing mag dumps in F/A, because 'Murica.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a G5 when they used to do the gemtax deal, then I bought a trek-t.  Now, I wish I had paid the extra cash and bought the G5-T.  Titanium makes everything better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a 7.62mm can and a short barrel 300 blackout if you want something to write home about.  Even supersonic loads are pretty quiet from it, it just goes skeeeyaaaa! from the sonic crack.  But the actual muzzle blast is still pretty muffled.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What county?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
And spend the extra cash on titanium, stainless is too heavy for 3 gun matches

Free

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd rather have the best 22 can and a million rounds of subsonic 22 than my rifle can 9 days out of 10.

View Quote

Fo' Shizzle, word......
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Do not run a m42k with a geissele super 3 gun in a 10.5" Noveske barrel......unless you like explaining that your gun is a semi only.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, it was my NFA cherry being popped at the time, so I didnt mind it as much as I normally would have.

Not something Id like to deal with every time I shot, though.  But again, maybe its different in semiauto.  I was doing mag dumps in F/A, because 'Murica.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got to love Murica some times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I want a Liberty Triumph mainly for the light weight.

Thread on is convenient but more susceptible to working loose.

EDIT: Huge +1 on a .22lr can. The Sparrow SS is amazing. The only other .22 can I would consider is the Spectre II (stainless) or Warlock II (aluminum). I have a Sparrow and my Spectre II is in jail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Get one with a quick release.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Always run wet...
View Quote

Hope no one here is new to (rifle) suppressors and takes your advice...
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What county?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What county?

Ector
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Extra QD mounts are expensive.  Kinda wish i went thread on.   My next can will be a thread on .30 cal.  I don't want to put mounts on hunting rifles anyway.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Extra QD mounts are expensive.  Kinda wish i went thread on.   My next can will be a thread on .30 cal.  I don't want to put mounts on hunting rifles anyway.
View Quote

They're like $75 for YHM.  Why would you not want to run it on your hunting rifles?  That's crazy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I love my Gemtech halo and have no regrets.  It is a bit heavy, but that does not bother me.

The ability to (with caveats) put it onto any A1 or A2 flash suppressor is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

... yup

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

This right here.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an AAC SPR-M4 that I use on a PWS 14.5" piston rifle. My first suppressor was an AAC TiRant 9 that I got for a Sig 226. I was absolutely amazed how quiet and fun to shoot it was, so I thought surely a suppressed AR would be just as fun. At the time, the SPR-M4 was about the quietest you could get. I can shoot without ear protection, but even with the piston, I get a face full of gas and an extremely dirty rifle. Without the can, the MK114 is wonderfully balanced, but the high weight required for a reasonably quiet can, takes that away to. It may be better with a piston rifle that has an adjustable gas port though. I ended up changing the buffer system to the VLTOR A5 because it was recoiling so hard, the buffer was bouncing and causing stove pipes, even with a Spike H2 buffer. If I were to do it again, I'd have gotten a 30 cal can. Yeah, they are a little louder and heavier, but not enough to matter. I think a bolt action 300 blkout would be as fun as the 9mm. BTW I bought the 14.5 as an upper, and had the mount pinned, so it's not an SBR. Unfortunately, my supressors are the only ones I've ever used, or seen used, so I don't have very diverse experience. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#41]
titanium .308 can, thank us later
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#42]
That I should have brought a .30 caliber can for both purposes, you can't really tell the difference.

AAC Cyclone and AAC SPR-M4

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I wish I had bought a .30 cal suppressor instead of a 5.56 can.

they both work on 5.56 but I could have used the 30 cal can on other guns, the 5.56 can is basically just that, a 5.56 can.

Oh and spend the extra few dollars and get a titanium can..........well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I came to post this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Now granted, I haven't run a carbine course or anything with my 300 blackout, but the shots I've fired through it with suppressor give me absolutely no gas in the face, either supersonic or subsonic.  

I put a PRI Gas Buster charging handle on it from the gitgo.  You can see smoke belching out of its port after shooting a string of rounds.  It's cool and seems to really work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

this. . Buy the 30 caliber can so you can use it on both. I wish I'd have done that years ago when I had the money for a suppressor. got a 223 can instead because I didn't think about it. .. I just didn't know at the time.  Hind sight is 20/20, so learn from my mistake

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]
QD is more expensive but well worth it IMO. My first time shooting a thread on I went to take it off and realized the damn thing was taking itself off already. I knew to check on them backing out but didn't realize how fast it could happen.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I had an M42K and shot it out.

Literally shot the baffles out.  It could not be repaired and AAC took care of it and replaced it with a SDN-6.

Sounds roughly the same to me.

It is on a piston setup.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This right here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.

Why is that? Can you use a .308 suppressor on a 5.56 rifle?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.

Yes.

Also, make sure its Titanium.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top