Page / 171
Posted: 10/8/2013 12:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

Exactly my point!

Zombies are what drives this show.  Not the great writing.  So all you guys who get offended when people criticize the writing, let that sink in.

We get it, you like zombie shows.  So do we.  Nothing wrong with that.  That's why we all watch it.

The issue I (and others) have is that being a zombie show doesn't mean it has to have bad writing.

People doing stupid crap that they would never do when in a life threatening situation may not bother you.  Fine.  But it does some of us.  It doesn't bother us enough to stop watching it, yet.  But what, we aren't allowed to express an opinion on it?

If you don't like the criticism, just ignore it.  Why can't you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreeFloater:
Originally Posted By HardShell:
Originally Posted By Flash66:

... The common sense approach to survival seems have escaped the writers...

Nope... that just isn't their job.

"Common sense" and "survival" isn't interesting from week to week.  Maybe not even throughout a single hour episode.

Oh look, we figured out how to keep the walkers out, feed and care for ourselves, and avoid danger. -->  zero viewers.

Oh look, we did something questionable and now walkers are chasing us and other humans are trying to kill us... and we have the FLU!  -->  record-breaking ratings for scripted cable drama.

They know what their job is, and that's what they are doing.

I think there are several pseudo-reality shows which cover the topic of survival that have lasted multiple seasons without resorting to zombies to keep viewers.

They didn't resort to zombies. They are following a comic book story involving zombies.

Besides, zombies are very marketable.
How many of those other shows you mentioned have 160 page threads to discuss only a single season of the show?

Exactly my point!

Zombies are what drives this show.  Not the great writing.  So all you guys who get offended when people criticize the writing, let that sink in.

We get it, you like zombie shows.  So do we.  Nothing wrong with that.  That's why we all watch it.

The issue I (and others) have is that being a zombie show doesn't mean it has to have bad writing.

People doing stupid crap that they would never do when in a life threatening situation may not bother you.  Fine.  But it does some of us.  It doesn't bother us enough to stop watching it, yet.  But what, we aren't allowed to express an opinion on it?

If you don't like the criticism, just ignore it.  Why can't you?

I fear you've missed my point.  This show isn't about Zombies.  The comics were about zombies.  This show is about the comics.  

Again, I am stating that the show writers didn't sit down and say "how can we get people to watch a show that we want to write?"  And one of the writers said "zombies".  Instead, someone said "I think this comic book series about zombies would do well on TV, let's write up some scripts, and cast some hot as hell chicks in it"

Thus...a show was born.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#2]

<snip>"...and cast some hot as hell chicks in it"

Thus...a show was born.
View Quote

I wouldn't go quite that far.

IMO, the characters could be a lot smarter/tactically savvy and they (the writers) could still come up with plenty of exciting/gripping plot lines.  The problem now is they are so inept it's appears to be a miracle they made it a far/long as they have.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

IMO, the characters could be a lot smarter/tactically savvy and they (the writers) could still come up with plenty of exciting/gripping plot lines.  The problem now is they are so inept it's appears to be a miracle they made it a far/long as they have.
View All Quotes

Thus...a show was born.

Well, when your most common problem is out-thinking/outmaneuvering a foe that only has basic brain stem functions remaining...

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sooooooooooo... I just watched the season "finale". Without reading 167 pages, a few thoughts:

1) For people who have survived so much fighting and human treachery, Rick And The Gang sure do make a lot of stupid mistakes. Like not shooting the hipster, ex-nerd VP of the long pork factory at the outset. Or realizing they're being driven like cattle, and doing something about it. Or spending 5-7 days on their reconnoiter because if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

2) They should have gone back to the prison. Guns, food, water, crops, med supplies, solid/fixable buildings and fenceline. And while we're on the subject of the prison, 2-3 scoped rifles, in a fortified emplacement on the roof, with zeroed fields of fire would have allowed them to keep it. But I digress.

3) There were enough commercials that they may be able to broadcast the next season commercial-free.

4) While I'm not abandoning the show, that was a weak ending. Weeeeeeeaaaaaaaak.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Morgan predictions:

Are we going to see him in this next season?

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Morgan predictions:

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/twd-episode-312-morgan-325.jpg

View Quote

One would hope so, like I said, he's the only one who had his shit together.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

View All Quotes

Morgan predictions:

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/twd-episode-312-morgan-325.jpg

...and he's very well-armed.  Rick made a point to mention that they were only taking half of his stuff.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]

...and he's very well-armed.  Rick made a point to mention that they were only taking half of his stuff.

View All Quotes

Morgan predictions:

For me, it just seemed what he was doing would be more realistic than just stumbling around like the group does.

Arm yourself to the teeth, set up traps to lure and clear sections of walkers, set up traps for marauders, have armor, burn walker bodies, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]

For me, it just seemed what he was doing would be more realistic than just stumbling around like the group does.

Arm yourself to the teeth, set up traps to lure and clear sections of walkers, set up traps for marauders, have armor, burn walker bodies, etc. etc.
View All Quotes

when that episode came up in season 3, i was thinking that the smartest thing for the group to have done was to move back to rick's hometown and link up with morgan.  would have been a win-win for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

when that episode came up in season 3, i was thinking that the smartest thing for the group to have done was to move back to rick's hometown and link up with morgan.  would have been a win-win for everyone involved.
View All Quotes

I never did understand why they didn't come back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Then the show would have lasted once season.
Really though, that would have been the smart thing
to do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

They didn't have that option in the comic series.  They had to get attacked at the prison.

In the comic, Rick didn't run into him again until after they were attacked.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David14] [#16]

Morgan predictions:

View Quote

Somebody's going to have to rescue Rick & Co.; I just don't see Carol, Tyrese, and the baby pulling that off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#17]

View Quote

I'm now wondering why walkers aren't just all cleared.

They certainly don't bite harder then non decomposed people, that would have more jaw muscles.  So wear some motorcycle leathers, including good leather gloves, get yourself a large phillips head screwdriver, or ice pick and walk around killing them at will.  Other then a great cardiovascular workout, I don't see the danger.  

One person in good shape could kill hundreds in a few hours.   10 or 20 people could kill thousands in a day.  No doubt you'd break a sweat but it wouldn't be that challenging. A community could clear our a huge radius and dig random pits with noisemakers to catch stragglers.  Down south they'd have to create a "Walker Season" to keep southerns from killing all of them in a year.  

"No Earl, you can't use a screwdriver...this is blunt stick season until December 15th, and you're only allowed 4 Zombie tags...don't let the DNR guy catch you poaching or he'll take all your tools"  

Of course the series would be over fairly fast, if logic had anything to do with it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelycr] [#18]
SPOILERS

there's an interview with the creator of the comics online saying that Terminus will be most of season 5. Negan from the comics is pretty much certain to appear possibly in season 6.

Eta I can't get the spoiler thing to work right.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

They certainly don't bite harder then non decomposed people, that would have more jaw muscles.  So wear some motorcycle leathers, including good leather gloves, get yourself a large phillips head screwdriver, or ice pick and walk around killing them at will.  Other then a great cardiovascular workout, I don't see the danger.  

One person in good shape could kill hundreds in a few hours.   10 or 20 people could kill thousands in a day.  No doubt you'd break a sweat but it wouldn't be that challenging. A community could clear our a huge radius and dig random pits with noisemakers to catch stragglers.  Down south they'd have to create a "Walker Season" to keep southerns from killing all of them in a year.  

"No Earl, you can't use a screwdriver...this is blunt stick season until December 15th, and you're only allowed 4 Zombie tags...don't let the DNR guy catch you poaching or he'll take all your tools"  

Of course the series would be over fairly fast, if logic had anything to do with it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

I know, I just wish they weren't so fucking retarded all the time.

They were on the farm for weeks and they didn't do shit to reinforce the fence, or the farmhouse, or a damn thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Morgan predictions:

Morg had racks of weapons and stacks of pyro and what did Rick and Michone leave his place with?  A crossbow and a couple of hand guns?  Oh, and that toy and a picture...forgot those.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Morg had racks of weapons and stacks of pyro and what did Rick and Michone leave his place with?  A crossbow and a couple of hand guns?  Oh, and that toy and a picture...forgot those.
View All Quotes

Morgan predictions:

I distinctly remember a big case of grenades.

Dude probably had an RPG squirreled away.

That would have made the tank stand off much more interesting at the prison.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Thus...a show was born.

Nobody in a zombie movie has ever seen a zombie movie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

View All Quotes

Thus...a show was born.

But they have seen other war or action/adventure movies, right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Now thats fuckin funny  Ricks got his redwings
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Thought this might interest y'all: I've been reading the Kirkman/Bonansinga novels and they establish pretty firmly that the walkers can hunt by smell.
I've always assumed they went by sight and hearing since that's what the living use, but apparently the walkers develop a heightened sense of smell when they turn.  There is an anecdote of menstruating women being tracked by walkers, and some incidents of walkers being able to smell people concealed in a building.
I suppose they might have been trying to counter the evident solution of just sitting inside and waiting for the walkers to pass by, but of course it puts to question all the incidents of survivors hiding behind a tree or under a car as the walkers pass by...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sircam671:
Thought this might interest y'all: I've been reading the Kirkman/Bonansinga novels and they establish pretty firmly that the walkers can hunt by smell.
I've always assumed they went by sight and hearing since that's what the living use, but apparently the walkers develop a heightened sense of smell when they turn.  There is an anecdote of menstruating women being tracked by walkers, and some incidents of walkers being able to smell people concealed in a building.
I suppose they might have been trying to counter the evident solution of just sitting inside and waiting for the walkers to pass by, but of course it puts to question all the incidents of survivors hiding behind a tree or under a car as the walkers pass by...
View Quote

Yes, they established this in season 1.
(It still doesn't make sense as all they would be able to smell is their own rotten nasal passages.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By shocktrp:

(It still doesn't make sense as all they would be able to smell is their own rotten nasal passages.)
View All Quotes

Where in Season 1?  It's been a looong time since I've watched those episodes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

When Rick and Gene smeared walker guts on themselves.  They then walked unmolested through a crowd of walkers.  That is, until it started to rain.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:27:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buzz69] [#29]

View All Quotes

Season 1, episode 2; "Guts"  They covered themselves with walker guts, allowing them to escape.

eta: took too long to find a smaller pic.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Buzz69:

Season 1, episode 2; "Guts"  They covered themselves with walker guts, allowing them to escape.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcbtjhs9N61qk7tqz.jpg
View All Quotes

Ahh, that's right - I can't believe I forgot that scene!
Man, one would think a sense of smell that keen would really step up the walkers' game.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I cant stand it any longer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_Reno] [#32]
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
I cant stand it any longer.
View Quote

I know.  I'm waiting on the next trade paperback to drop and then I'll be completely caught up on everything.

Nothing left to do but sit and ponder.

I don't like pondering.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jokermann77] [#33]
I was discussing this with a friend and he agreed with me. Zombies have 3 senses they use to "hunt", Sight, Smell and Hearing. However they have to have Sight and Smell confirmation before they "Attack".

Think of it like this,

They are "Programmed" (so to speak) to eat human flesh, they have specific rules of engagement. Kind of like an "If/then Statements" in programming, It would go something like this "If" visual confirmation of a human occurs "Then" get close enough to make "Smell" confirmation, "IF" smell confirmation is confirmed "Then" attack.  However, "If" visual confirmation of a human occurs "Then" get close enough to make "Smell" confirmation, "IF" smell confirmation is NOT confirmed "Then" DON'T attack. So in other words, if it looks like a duck and it smells like a duck, eat the duck. If it looks like a duck but smells like a dog don't eat the ducking dog....

When it comes to the hearing aspect, if they hear a noise it peeks their interest because they think its a human, it raises their threat level and causes them to go looking for it in order to make the other "Smell" and "Visual" Confirmation.

So when Michonne goes on a stroll with her leashed up Zombies the others cant make the two connections needed to attack, She looks like a human, but doesn't smell like a human because shes using a "scent blocker" so the other zombies don't attack. Same goes for when Rick and Glen load up with Zombie guts. They Looked like humans but didn't smell like humans so they didn't attack.

That leads me to believe that when the zombies Smell but don't see humans (IE when people hide behind trees) the zombies don't make the connection that the people are actually there. Its probably like when you smell a skunk but you don't see a skunk, you know a skunk is around but you don't assume its behind that tree 3 feet away from you. Thus they continue to wonder looking for their prey.

Just my personal theory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#34]
getting into season, 4, and rick is pissing me off to no end.  at a time when everyone else is stepping up and trying their damnedest to pull more than their weight, he has turned into the most unstable, unreliable, erratic character on the show.  his kid is a steadier member of the team than he is.

don't get me wrong--everyone has had a breakdown, and everyone gets to blow off some steam now and then.  but apparently, he just checked out for an entire growing season, and not even the long vacation was enough for him to regain his equilibrium.  there is no rhyme or reason to his actions--he's become more emotionally driven than his wife ever was.

i hate when a TV show asks me to identify with an idiot.  flawed?  sure--we're all flawed.  bad decisions?  i can really identify with that.  but stupid and flaky?  no.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Thus...a show was born.

that actually seems to be true. with the exception of return of the living dead. but they violated the zombie rules by making them able to function pretty much like a normal person, i.e. run, talk, even drive a vehicle. and in part one, they were indestructible. in part 2 they were able to kill them with electricity.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#36]
getting into season, 4, and rick is pissing me off to no end.  at a time when everyone else is stepping up and trying their damnedest to pull more than their weight, he has turned into the most unstable, unreliable, erratic character on the show.  his kid is a steadier member of the team than he is.

don't get me wrong--everyone has had a breakdown, and everyone gets to blow off some steam now and then.  but apparently, he just checked out for an entire growing season, and not even the long vacation was enough for him to regain his equilibrium.  there is no rhyme or reason to his actions--he's become more emotionally driven than his wife ever was.

i hate when a TV show asks me to identify with an idiot.  flawed?  sure--we're all flawed.  bad decisions?  i can really identify with that.  but stupid and flaky?  no.
View Quote

i agree. rick has made some horrible decisions, had a breakdown or 2, and pretty much sucks at leadership,and yet they still follow him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By jokermann77:
I was discussing this with a friend and he agreed with me. Zombies have 3 senses they use to "hunt", Sight, Smell and Hearing. However they have to have Sight and Smell confirmation before they "Attack".

Think of it like this,

They are "Programmed" (so to speak) to eat human flesh, they have specific rules of engagement. Kind of like an "If/then Statements" in programming, It would go something like this "If" visual confirmation of a human occurs "Then" get close enough to make "Smell" confirmation, "IF" smell confirmation is confirmed "Then" attack.  However, "If" visual confirmation of a human occurs "Then" get close enough to make "Smell" confirmation, "IF" smell confirmation is NOT confirmed "Then" DON'T attack. So in other words, if it looks like a duck and it smells like a duck, eat the duck. If it looks like a duck but smells like a dog don't eat the ducking dog....

When it comes to the hearing aspect, if they hear a noise it peeks their interest because they think its a human, it raises their threat level and causes them to go looking for it in order to make the other "Smell" and "Visual" Confirmation.

So when Michonne goes on a stroll with her leashed up Zombies the others cant make the two connections needed to attack, She looks like a human, but doesn't smell like a human because shes using a "scent blocker" so the other zombies don't attack. Same goes for when Rick and Glen load up with Zombie guts. They Looked like humans but didn't smell like humans so they didn't attack.

That leads me to believe that when the zombies Smell but don't see humans (IE when people hide behind trees) the zombies don't make the connection that the people are actually there. Its probably like when you smell a skunk but you don't see a skunk, you know a skunk is around but you don't assume its behind that tree 3 feet away from you. Thus they continue to wonder looking for their prey.

Just my personal theory.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding any holes in that theory.  It doesn't quite hold true in the books; they have some instances where the zombies can smell people hiding in a building and the zombies don't leave for that reason.  I think the show, graphic novels, and books have to be held separately in terms of how things work, though.  The show, for instance, is the only TWD universe where they've made any significant exploration of the source of the zombie plague.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Just freaking wow
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Man, one would think a sense of smell that keen would really step up the walkers' game.
View All Quotes

It's OK, the characters that were actually IN the scene forgot about it too, as they have never re-used that bit of knowledge to get out of any situations since... without a cloud in the sky.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Think of it like this,

Just my personal theory.
View Quote

it's based on hydration.  the walkers might be dead, but their bodies are still 70% water, and they don't drink.  therefore they hydrate from the eating of flesh (since there's no other point to eating--they have no metabolism).

this has implications for their hunting behavior.  since they are constantly dehydrated, their eyesight is going to suffer tremendously--their eyes (which are mostly water) continually degrade.  they can't count on visual acuity or visual reasoning ('what is that silhouette?'), and instead depend on seeing movement.  that movement triggers prey drive--look (act) like prey, get treated like prey.  the smell is the go/nogo signal.  they don't eat their own because that wouldn't help them hydrate, so they depend on smell for target discrimination.

how's that sound?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]

... but apparently, he just checked out for an entire growing season, and not even the long vacation was enough for him to regain his equilibrium. there is no rhyme or reason to his actions--he's become more emotionally driven than his wife ever was...
View All Quotes

... but apparently, he just checked out for an entire growing season, and not even the long vacation was enough for him to regain his equilibrium. there is no rhyme or reason to his actions--he's become more emotionally driven than his wife ever was...

It is explained, arguably over-explained, but you haven't gotten there yet.

FWIW, most here bitched about both the explanation and how it was shown on-screen, so you still have that to look forward to.

well, it's good to know that it's at least going to be addressed--thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#44]

it's based on hydration.  the walkers might be dead, but their bodies are still 70% water, and they don't drink.  therefore they hydrate from the eating of flesh (since there's no other point to eating--they have no metabolism).

this has implications for their hunting behavior.  since they are constantly dehydrated, their eyesight is going to suffer tremendously--their eyes (which are mostly water) continually degrade.  they can't count on visual acuity or visual reasoning ('what is that silhouette?'), and instead depend on seeing movement.  that movement triggers prey drive--look (act) like prey, get treated like prey.  the smell is the go/nogo signal.  they don't eat their own because that wouldn't help them hydrate, so they depend on smell for target discrimination.

how's that sound?
View All Quotes

Think of it like this,

Just my personal theory.

how's that sound?

What smells more - rotting meat or fresh meat?
Realistically they wouldn't be able to smell anything except themselves.
Other than that it kind of makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By jokermann77:...

how's that sound?

it was clearly demonstrated in the 'guts' episode that they use smell for prey detection/discrimination.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Just re-watched "Clear".

Really one of the stand out eps.

I'll stand by my previous statement that Morgan had his shit together.

Oh...and he did have a shit ton of grenades.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:04:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KA3B] [#47]
I just watched The Writers Room.
They had Robert Kirkman on the show.
Lots of interesting tidbits about the show.

http://www.sundance.tv/series/the-writers-room

At some point in time I suppose they'll have The Walking Dead show on their web page.
http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-writers-room/videos/520187

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#48]
finally caught up through season 4.  now the long wait begins for season 5 on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:04:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I heard a rumor of a possible actors strike on the Walking dead over low pay. Has anyone else heard anything about it? I heard it on a talk radio show a few days ago.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
I just watched The Writers Room.
They had Robert Kirkman on the show.
Lots of interesting tidbits about the show.

http://www.sundance.tv/series/the-writers-room

At some point in time I suppose they'll have The Walking Dead show on their web page.
http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-writers-room/videos/520187

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

LOLClick To View Spoiler
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 171
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top