Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2013 7:21:59 PM EDT
So I was outside tonight filming the fireworks, when I noticed strange orange lights in the sky, and no they were not fireworks.  There were about a dozen or so in the span of around 20 minutes, they came from the North West, South, and East, all went in a roughly North East direction toward Selfridges.  I'm in Eastpointe (First suburb North of Detroit, and one suburd away from Lake St. Clair).

The lights lasted for several minutes each before disapearing as abruptly as they appeared, and seemed to start fairly low to the ground, and very slowly gain altitude, they moved very much like planes, and at roughly the same speed, but I've never seen running lights that were just a single orange light, plus even when they were fairly low, and close, I saw nothing they were attached to.  In appearance they looked sort of like airial flares, but I saw no illuminated smoke, and I've never seen a flare move all the way across the sky, and gain altitude.

When viewed fully zoomed through my admittedly poor cell phone camera, which is what I was using they seemed to sort of flicker, or shimmer, and may have actually been clusters of lights.  When viewed by the naked eye when low, and closer they seemed to have a slight halo.

This is not the first time I have seen these, but it's usually just 1, or 2, not 10+, but the ones out of the North West did appear in the same place, and travel in the same direction as before though.

So was Selfridges doing something tonight?

What were these things?  I assume some kind of plane, but I've never seen anything like it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Check it out or report it.

http://www.mufon.com/
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not saying it's aliens.............................But.................
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sky lanterns.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
May be a paper lantern - I saw quite a few this evening.  From the right angle they appear to be moving faster than they are.

ETA: beaten.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Yep, Chinese lanterns.

We usually buy a bunch but we wait a few months before we light them and people forget about fireworks and all they can think about is UFO's.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a dikfer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup paper lanterns, Big thing over at the clawson fireworks tonight too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a pretty bright meteor breaking up tonight around 10:00.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't been outside much tonight but I have seen these strange lights before, albeit in pretty much the exact opposite direction that you describe.

I'm about 5 miles NW of Selfridge and I usually see these lights, 2 or 3 at a time, in a SSW direction typically hovering or making slow turns. I just figured they were jets in a landing pattern, not sure if there is an airport in that general direction though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Airplanes cruising at 35,000 feet, 230* miles away,  catching the sunset.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
This would freak someone out if they were a few miles off.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This would freak someone out if they were a few miles off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePUTMXnBOA

Especially in Poland.

"Someone's invading!"
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if this has anything to do with the days getting shorter. I've been checking, and today was a couple minutes shorter than yesterday. Really fucking strange, bro.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw a few tonight
when ever I do I hope they maintain structural integrity until the flame goes out so that the candle doesn't land on a house while still burning
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Yep. Exactly what it was.  I saw several tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top