Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2013 1:02:11 PM EDT
Couple weeks ago I had the misfortune of cutting the palm of my hand rather badly. I thought I was headed to the hospital for stitches. My daughter is a RN and happened to stop by to eat lunch with me as I was getting ready to leave. She took a look, got out a new tube of super glue and sealed the cut. That cut has healed better than any I've had to have stitched. Daughter says they don't recommend super glue because it "could" irritate the skin. She said order some Durabond but damn that stuff is pricey.  In a pinch I think the super glue works great. Got a few tubes in the bug-out-bag now.

ETA: Pic of daughter:

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The story was that it was originally invented by a surgeon for that purpose.   There is also a product called Nu Skin that is an anteseptic glue and works much like Super Glue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a product called derma bond. It is the same thing, but not as toxic to an open wound. It is some good shit. I would use super glue in pinch without any hesitation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I should have tried that with my forehead.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, super glue does works. I done it before as a test.  Cut my hand at work but had super glue on me.  Applied and it is great as a fast band aid.  Trade off, I would not use in areas that flexes a kit IMHO.  It may limit range or cause it to break the glue.

The only thing that could make a difference is if the person's skin reacts to the glue. But I have not seen that yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There is a product called derma bond. It is the same thing, but not as toxic to an open wound. It is some good shit. I would use super glue in pinch without any hesitation.

Ah - I believe that is the product she mentioned, not the "Durabond" I posted. Thanks

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Derma Bond?   Damn, if only the OP had heard of this stuff from his daughter.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I use it when I get cracks on my fingers [working with detergents and such] from dryness. Heals 10 times faster then doing anything else.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah - I believe that is the product she mentioned, not the "Durabond" I posted. Thanks

Yup. I don't know how much it would cost if you went out and bought some. I guess I take it for granted that I have access to all the stuff. When it expires it comes home with me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I should read things more carefully and not as drunk
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Used it before on sheet metal cuts. Get them all the time working on the baler, or any piece of equipment really.

Wipe it clean, spread some super glue on it, be done. I keep the stuff in my tool box at home and in the tool box on my truck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I should read things more carefully and not as drunk

ehh, In your defense he did say durabond, and I read it as derma bond.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]

One of the popular brands of wire pulling compound was originally developed as a sex lubricant.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to use this stuff called New Skin years ago. I think they quit making it, but it was just glue.

Derma-Bond is awesome stuff, but Super Glue works like a champ, too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Used it before on sheet metal cuts. Get them all the time working on the baler, or any piece of equipment really.

Wipe it clean, spread some super glue on it, be done. I keep the stuff in my tool box at home and in the tool box on my truck.

I have used it before, but my fear is not getting the cut clean enough and causing an abscess.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, done that a couple times.  I did have an RN tell me not to use it twice on the same wound though- if the seal pops out start using band aids or get medical attention.

Good way to save a few hundred bucks from the ER though.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You sir have an attractive daughter.  Her teen years must had been rough on your sanity.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of the popular brands of wire pulling compound was originally developed as a sex lubricant.

A lot of the stuff we use daily was designed for something else.   Petroleum Jelly was for vaginal dryness.  Post-It notes were a failed industrial glue.
WD-40 means Water Displacement, 40th attempt.       It was designed to prevent corrosion on rockets.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You sir have an attractive daughter.  Her teen years must had been rough on your sanity.

Thank you. You are indeed correct. Plus she has a sister that is just as attractive.

Living in a house full of women was bad enough but when these two where teenagers I thought they would be the death of me. Couldn't be prouder of both of them though. Both have graduated college and have found their way in life.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Couple weeks ago I had the misfortune of cutting the palm of my hand rather badly. I thought I was headed to the hospital for stitches. My daughter is a RN and happened to stop by to eat lunch with me as I was getting ready to leave. She took a look, got out a new tube of super glue and sealed the cut. That cut has healed better than any I've had to have stitched. Daughter says they don't recommend super glue because it "could" irritate the skin. She said order some Durabond but damn that stuff is pricey.  In a pinch I think the super glue works great. Got a few tubes in the bug-out-bag now.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6qeivs.jpg

Pretty daughter.

Superglue can cause irritatation for some people, just like Neosporin can cause irritation for some people.

For most people it's perfectly fine. I guess the key is to know what works okay for you, and then keep that around.

That's what I do.

eta: I mean to say the time to find out if something is cool or not, is not during a serious situation.

Try superglue on a papercut first.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i39.tinypic.com/6qeivs.jpg

Fuck me

Your daughter is Cherry 2000
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]

The only difference is that the Dermabond is sterile and regular super glue is not.  Likely not much of a concern but using the same tube of super glue multiple times could result in contamination leading to a wound infection.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Off topic, I know... but your daughter is purdy.
I hope mine doesn't turn out like that.
I'd hate to have to keep her indoors until she's 35.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I used superglue for cuts all the time.  I have liquid and gel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Superglued cut, hot daughter, good post.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Been carrying super glue in my trauma kit for over two decades, and I've used it on myself and others scads of times. DermaBond is supposed to be less irritating to people who are sensitive to cyanoacrylate, and it's sterile.

It's also hellishly expensive.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I use it all the time.

Don't super glue the whole cut.  Leave a little bit off on the end so the wound can leak.

Tell your daughter hello

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Been carrying super glue in my trauma kit for over two decades, and I've used it on myself and others scads of times. DermaBond is supposed to be less irritating to people who are sensitive to cyanoacrylate, and it's sterile.

It's also hellishly expensive.

$50 for 0.7ml.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Is there a way to sterilize the super clue before using?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just poor some sterile water on it.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I wonder what its effectiveness is on herpes.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wonder what its effectiveness is on herpes.  

Most likely blocks 100% of the disease if you coat your dick in it.

Polyurethane is probably cheaper.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It heats when it bonds. I've lost part of my thumb print when I was younger. I super glued 2 things together and it left me a nice reminder about it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Real men seal their cuts with carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I just had my appendix cut out last week, they glued the incisions back  together.....Worked great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#35]
OP, your daughter appears to be a world class beauty.  Hope you get better fast.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It heats when it bonds. I've lost part of my thumb print when I was younger. I super glued 2 things together and it left me a nice reminder about it.

Only if it comes in contact with cotton or Sodium bicarbonate will it get REALY hot.

If there was water on your hands, it will cure faster, and get warmer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if it comes in contact with cotton or Sodium bicarbonate.

It was a wool blanket and wood. No cotton or sodium. I have used it many times and it has always heated /smoked/ left a burned smell on non metals.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I buy the veterinary tissue adhesive, usually around $6 a tube for the 5 second.  Doesn't burn,sterile, and its a fraction of the price of the "human" version.  If you don't care about sterility/tissue irritation, $.75 a tube superglue works just as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting topic. Can somebody post a more specific description of how this works? For example, if it is a pretty deep cut, do you attempt to pull the edges together like using stitches, or are you just filling the cut with superglue? I am trying to get a better handle on it before I try it myself. TIA
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a wool blanket and wood. No cotton or sodium. I have used it many times and it has always heated /smoked/ left a burned smell on non metals.

Da fuq?

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep a tube of super glue in my laptop bag (goes everywhere with me) all the time for this exact reason.  PC components can be sharp, and a bandaid doesn't always cut it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Da fuq?

Don't as me. Krazy glue has always done that every time I used it. Except with metals.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I used to use this stuff called New Skin years ago. I think they quit making it, but it was just glue.

Derma-Bond is awesome stuff, but Super Glue works like a champ, too.

They still make New Skin. I bought some last year. It has an anesthetic in it to help with infection. I cut my index finger open good last year and it healed it nicely.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I just new skin as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Just so's all y'all know, urine is sterile as it comes out.... can be used to irrigate/cleanse a wound.... dry and glue.
Gives a whole new meaning to "piss on it"....
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Da fuq?

Don't as me. Krazy glue has always done that every time I used it. Except with metals.

You got some weird stuff then, I've got a tube of Krazy glue brand in my hand right now putting it on stuff trying to find something that heats/smokes.  The regular stuff isn't doing it, I think I have some of the gel too, gonna' try that next.  Just glued the finger of a wool GI glove liner to a 2X4 scrap, no smoke or heat.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just so's all y'all know, urine is sterile as it comes out.... can be used to irrigate/cleanse a wound.... dry and glue.
Gives a whole new meaning to "piss on it"....

Bear Gryles approves of this post.  
Rumor has it that it helps get rid of athletes foot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Da fuq?

You got some weird stuff then, I've got a tube of Krazy glue brand in my hand right now putting it on stuff trying to find something that heats/smokes.  The regular stuff isn't doing it, I think I have some of the gel too, gonna' try that next.  Just glued the finger of a wool GI glove liner to a 2X4 scrap, no smoke or heat.

Use cotton or baking soda.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Dermabond is good stuff, but hella expensive. Medically, I can't recommend superglue.

I might have tubes in my first aid kits and use the stuff on my own cuts, but "do as I say, not as I do." I may have superglued over a hotspot/foot abrasion on a hiking trip, and had the glue last a long time.  I may use super glue as a first-line treatment for most of my own lacerations.  But don't do that.

Gel super glue is easier to control than liquid, especially for applications in unnatural positions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Interesting topic. Can somebody post a more specific description of how this works? For example, if it is a pretty deep cut, do you attempt to pull the edges together like using stitches, or are you just filling the cut with superglue? I am trying to get a better handle on it before I try it myself. TIA

If the laceration is so deep that it goes well beyond the epidermis and into the fascia, adipose, or muscle tissue, super glue might be the last thing applied, but not the first.  A deep wound needs to be bled and cleaned first, then closed.  This often involves sutures, or sutures and glue.

I had a deep laceration closed on my hand this way, and I scrubbed it out with an iodine brush before they sutured and glued it.

With small cuts, I like to use the body's mechanisms to help me out, like internal pressure.  I will squeeze the small cut in order to get it to push out any foreign debris, then wash it, but the 14psi internal pressure does a good job of expelling most pathogens if you let it do its work.

Once I wash it, I'll wrap an ice cube in gauze or a paper towel, apply it to the injured site while elevating, in order to get the flow to stop.  Then I'll apply the glue and keep it elevated.
I keep glue in my aid bags specifically for this.

Gel super glue is easier to control than liquid, especially for applications in unnatural positions.

Good point.  The Gel type is what I use now since it doesn't run, so I prefer it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top