Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2013 9:19:26 AM EDT
Been looking around for weeks...need a new mower.

Thinking about running to Lowe's and picking up one of these....48" reinforced deck, grease zerks on spindles, deck wash out port, Kohler 24hp motor, stronger transaxle, "fast tractor" model that will run up to 8mph if you don't get thrown off  Best mower I can find for $2000 or under.    From what I've seen, and heard....the cheaper JD's at the big box stores are actually built pretty thin and cheap.

Husky Fast Tractor

How do Husky mowers rate in quality compared to similarly priced John Deere, Toro, Craftsman, or Cub Cadet riding mowers?

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice BMW.  

Seriously, it's a good tractor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that is a good little lawn tractor , it mows a two acre yard with regularity for the last 5 years. They have Brigs motors on them mine is a 23 HP .  Its a little beat up from a barn collapsing on it but other than that life is good.   You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thinking about running to Lowe's and picking up one of these....48" reinforced deck, grease zerks on spindles, deck wash out port, Kohler 24hp motor, stronger transaxle, "fast tractor" model that will run up to 8mph if you don't get thrown off  Best mower I can find for $2000 or under.    From what I've seen, and heard....the cheaper JD's at the big box stores are actually built pretty thin and cheap.

Husky Fast Tractor

How do Husky mowers rate in quality compared to similarly priced John Deere, Toro, Craftsman, or Cub Cadet riding mowers?

I bought one last year.  Had one minor problem on day one.  The dealer came out, picked it up and brought it back the next day.  No problems since.

I also bought the Husky four stroke weed whacker.  Pleased with it too. Very powerful.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the 21hp 46" model last year.  So far, so good.  I think they are in between a John Deere and a Craftsman.  I think Husky makes Craftsman.

I use the mulch kit quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
buy a lightly used commercial walk behind and thank me later
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't feel like walking behind a mower while I mow my 2.5 acres...no thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly people who have little town yards have never push mowed two to three acres of grass.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Husqvarna 26hp Kohler 54" deck mower. It's pretty loud, but it mows our 2 acre lot efficiently. Six years old with no issues.

Bought it for $2,600.00 OTD.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Honda?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Honda?

I think they only make push mowers now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Most likely the Husky, Craftsman and Cub Cadet are all made by Frigidaire in Orangeburg SC. NTTIAWWT
4000+ lawn tractors a DAY!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Where to start....

First the Kohler v twins had some shit head gasket issues, they went through several redesigns and material changes.  Maybe it was bad engineering, maybe they get eaten by unburned high ethanol fuel in the cylinder - either way it will be smoking and burning oil in 4-5 years *unless they've finally resolved the problem*.  But hey, if you mow at dusk the mosquitos won't bother you.

my new head gaskets are on the second season so can't help ya beyond that.

Second - never, ever, ever, don't buy a stamped mower deck. Don't do it. Just don't.  Buy something with a properly thick fabricated (flat cut steel / welded) deck.

I don't care if they are calling it 'reinforced' etc, the thin stamped deck will flex and cause spindle bearing / shaft issues. How do I know this?  My Husky mower is good for eating a spindle shaft each season - like clockwork, usually prior to or immediately after a vacation when the yard is going though a heavy grow spurt......just when you don't have time to fuck around with it.

Beyond that the mower drive belt will last ~3 years (or 3 spindles...Ha!).  My main drive belt just shredded following the first mowing of the year @ year 6 I believe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the lawn and landscape business. Do yourself a favor and buy a used commercial mower (exmark, scag, or JD). They can be had for around $2-3K. They last longer and are much more reliable. Don't get me wrong the little box store mowers aren't bad, but for the money I'd go with a used commercial mower. For that money you,can even get a bigger deck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Husky Fast Tractor

I've had good luck with Kohler motors.  The Husqvarna at Lowes had a Kohler, the John Deere did not.  I bought the 21hp 46" Husqvarna last summer, so far so good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Husqvarna 54 in cut the the B & S 26 hp.  7 yrs old with no major problems.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most likely the Husky, Craftsman and Cub Cadet are all made by Frigidaire in Orangeburg SC. NTTIAWWT

Nope. Husqvarna is a company all their own and they make
most of Sears power equipment too. For cheap throwaway
mowers they are the best. My GT 26 with a 54 inch deck
has been the best one out of all the riders I have owned
including a Simplicity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#17]
You forgot LAWNBOY!

Those 2 strokers last forever!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Not to highjack the thread but what is a good weedwacker.

Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

walk behind mowers usually come with a "sulky" or a little two wheeled platform that you stand on and ride behind.  I used one when I cut yards part time and this is pretty good advice.  They are simple designs and you could drop a bomb on it and it would cut just fine.  I know a guy who has a commercial yard company and he has had a scag walk behind for eleven years that just recently got a new engine.  Even his employees haven't been able to kill it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Fast ground speed, does not equal fast cutting. Looks like a POS to me. In the $2000-$3000 range get a Hustler Sport.

Box stores, and "good" do not go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got the 21hp 46" model last year.  So far, so good.  I think they are in between a John Deere and a Craftsman.  I think Husky makes Craftsman.

Husq = Electrolux

Craftsman = American Yard Products

Both are crap. For the money you don't have much to choose from. Just know going in that you will replace them every 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a husqvarna 42" deck and the wiring is suspect.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where to start....

First the Kohler v twins had some shit head gasket issues, they went through several redesigns and material changes.  Maybe it was bad engineering, maybe they get eaten by unburned high ethanol fuel in the cylinder - either way it will be smoking and burning oil in 4-5 years *unless they've finally resolved the problem*.  But hey, if you mow at dusk the mosquitos won't bother you.

my new head gaskets are on the second season so can't help ya beyond that.

Second - never, ever, ever, don't buy a stamped mower deck. Don't do it. Just don't.  Buy something with a properly thick fabricated (flat cut steel / welded) deck.

I don't care if they are calling it 'reinforced' etc, the thin stamped deck will flex and cause spindle bearing / shaft issues. How do I know this?  My Husky mower is good for eating a spindle shaft each season - like clockwork, usually prior to or immediately after a vacation when the yard is going though a heavy grow spurt......just when you don't have time to fuck around with it.

Beyond that the mower drive belt will last ~3 years (or 3 spindles...Ha!).  My main drive belt just shredded following the first mowing of the year @ year 6 I believe.

Truth. Keep in mind also, that unit has the cheap/Chicom Kohler Courage, not the Command.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Can't speak for the Husky tractors, but I have a Rider 155 model that is starting its 11th year cutting 2+ acres a week in the deep South.  I keep it serviced and keep good blades on it.  Only thing I had had to do is rebuild the mandrels (last year) and put a fuel pump/carb on it.  I attribute the fuel troubles to ethanol. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys do realise that Husqvarna and Husky mowers are two entirely different mowers don't you? Sounds like some think "husky" is short for husqvarna...its not, they are different. The Husky brand is more cheaply made that the Husqvarna. Some Ariens mowers are rebranded Husqvarnas BTW.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought the exact  mower a couple of weeks ago and have used it twice so far. It seems to be ok but then again, it's new.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You forgot LAWNBOY!

Those 2 strokers last forever!!!

And haven't been made in 15 years or so...

Mine is a '95, and while heavily used and abused (to include parts replacement), it's not in the scrap heap yet.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Point noted.  I should have said Husqvarna in my post.  I forgot about the Husky branded stuff Tractor Supply sells.

Quoted:
You guys do realise that Husqvarna and Husky mowers are two entirely different mowers don't you? Sounds like some think "husky" is short for husqvarna...its not, they are different. The Husky brand is more cheaply made that the Husqvarna. Some Ariens mowers are rebranded Husqvarnas BTW.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a husqvarna  rz5424 zero turn from mowers direct a few years ago- kawasaki engine- very happy with it and it goes nicely with my Husqvarna M38 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

buy a used commercial mower. then you'll really thank me. i can mow your 2.5 acres in 40 minutes flat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the info! Looks like the Husqvarna mowers are pretty good. Would love a commercial mower....but don't have the cash for one, and I don't want a used one that I'm going to have to work on all the time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks OP.

Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks OP.

Husqvarna.

326LS
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This man is correct.

I love Husqvarna products....

Would not have anything from Husky.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man is correct.

I love Husqvarna products....

Would not have anything from Husky.

I've seen some of the ones at the farm stores labeled "HUSKEE".....not the same as Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husq = Electrolux

Both are crap. For the money you don't have much to choose from. Just know going in that you will replace them every 5 years or so.

Husqvarna is built by Husqvarna- Not by Electrolux since 2006.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husq = Electrolux

Husqvarna is built by Husqvarna- Not by Electrolux since 2006.

Makes sense, I haven't dealt in their tractors in a while.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Husqvarna is a company all their own and they make
most of Sears power equipment too. For cheap throwaway
mowers they are the best. My GT 26 with a 54 inch deck
has been the best one out of all the riders I have owned
including a Simplicity.

Husqvarna is made by American yard products which also make all the middle of the line craftsman. The craftsman zero turns are made by simplicity and the low in grey tractors and professional craftsman are made by mtd. Ayp is far superior to any mtd junk. Mtd makes yard man, yard machine, cub cadet, and toro JUNK.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Echo or Stihl.

My Echo SRM-230 is fantastic.  If you're cutting brush, get something like the SRM-265.  For plain old grass and grassy weeds, the 230 is plenty.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had a Husqvarna LGT 2654 now for 6 years, 26 HP Briggs with a 54" deck.  Cheap-ass headlights have never worked, but since I mow in the daylight, who cares. Other than that, absolutely no problems in the past,  but just now I may need a new battery. It fired right up after charging, but battery went dead overnight.  Or I can just charge it up enough to start it, mow my 2.5 acre lawn....park it, then charge it up again before the next time I need to mow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks OP.

Echo.  Sold at Home Depot.  Bought one last year.  Spend about 2+ hours a weekend on it and I use it more than the push mower on the trim it is that good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a velke on my 48" John Deere walk behind, no walking for me.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks OP.

Echo.  Sold at Home Depot.  Bought one last year.  Spend about 2+ hours a weekend on it and I use it more than the push mower on the trim it is that good.

SRM-225

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks OP.

SRM-225

That's the one.  Plan on picking up a second one this spring as a back up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#45]
We just baught a zero-turn, 54" deck Huskey with the Courage engine.  It's superb, and actually quite quick...
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not Cub Cadet (owned by MTD), they are made at the mistake on the lake, Cleveland.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husq = Electrolux

Guess who owns AYP (American Yard Products)?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a basic Husqvarna push mower.  It is as solid as can be and very reliable.  My only complaint is that it's heavy.  Then again, I probably need the workout.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice BMW.  

Seriously, it's a good tractor.

Pretty sure they are KTM now.  BMW didn't own them long.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Husqvarna/AYP Brands owned or Made for
Husqvarna
Craftsman Made For Sears
Poulan
Poulan Pro
Weed eater
Ariens Lawn & Yard Tractros Made For Ariens
Ryobi Lawn tractors that were sold at Home Depot
Black Max sold at Sams Club

Snapper was Bought by Simplicity. Then Simplicity was bought by Briggs and Stratton,

So Briggs own or Manufactures The following Brands
Simplicity
Snapper
AGCO outdoor Power in U.S.
Massey-Ferguson Outdoor Power in U.S. MTD makes MF in europe
Ferris
Brute
Murray. Murray Garden Tractors outside of U.S. made by Husqvarna/AYP
John Deere Push mowers Currently made by Briggs at snapper Plants

MTD makes alot of diffrent tractors an equipment for all diffrent Manufacturers
Currently they Make the Toro Lawn and Garden tractors since 2007
They have made snow blowers under the Frontier Label for JD

MTD Brands:
MTD
MTD PRO
BOLENS as of 2001
WHITE OUTDOOR as of 1981
YARDMAN as of 1975
MASSEY-FERGUSON in Europe AS OF 2006
LAWNFLITE
COLUMBIA
TORO tractors as of 2007
TROY-BILT as of 2001
CUB CADET AS OF April 1981.
SCOTTS all wheel steer tractors
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top