Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 9/29/2012 3:08:10 PM EDT
Aside from a few small mods that are done to my Vette (cat-back, wheels, lowered, and skip shift eliminator) I can't bring myself to do anything major to it.  It is just too nice and fast as hell already.

With that in mind I have spent ages searching out a project vehicle.  Why the hell is it so hard to buy a car from Craigslist?  It seems like no one is honest in what they are selling or they are asking twice what their vehicle is worth.

Anyway I came across this 86 Monte Carlo SS and it was one of the cars on my short list to play with.  I took a ride this morning to look at it and was more than a little impressed.  Only 78K miles, two small spots of surface rust,  very solid underneath, and the price was right at only $2600!  I couldn't pass it up and brought it home.

So now the transformation will begin.  The rather anemic carbed 305 and 200R4 transmission will be pulled out and a 5.3 LS1 and 70MM turbo will go in along with a built 700R4.  The whole thing will be run by a MegaSquirt 3 EMS.  The goal is 500 RWHP and these 5.3 LS motors will make that standing on their heads.  They are VERY receptive to boost and will live a long and happy life at that power level, the 700R4 is another story but we will see what happens there.

Keep an eye out for occasional updates, I know there are other gearheads here.

And finally here she is, pretty sharp for a 26 year old car I think.  I can remember them when they were brand new on the dealers lot and I thought they were pretty tough then, and to be honest I think it still looks damn tough.  Cosmetic improvements will also be on the list of things to do, but first and foremost will be to make this car haul the mail, Joe Dirt style baby!  I better start growing out my mullet.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks real nice, let's see what's under the hood now, interior etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs some of dem twentyfos and bes about 2 feets off the ground G. Metalflake paint too dogg.

Gets some hydrolicks up in derr.

Seriously, nice car.  If I could pick a car from that era it'd be a Buick GN, had a chance on one, passed it up, regretted it ever since.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my fair share of GM "G Bodies".  An 85 Buick Regal "T-Type", an 87 Olds 442 and an 84  Monte Carlo SS.   Love 'em!

A suggestion though..... don't dismiss a well built 200-4R tranny.  They can be VERY stoutly built, and the 1st/2nd gear ratios are alot closer.  The TH-700 is great off the line..... but then falls on it's face when you shift into 2nd!

Either way..... good luck!    I just might have to pick up another G-body.   It's been too long since I played with one!
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you found the ONE 86 Monte Carlo left in the US that hasn't been turned into a donk
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
There isn't a fast back kit in the trunk is there?

Love that one, still has the factory wheels.  That side looks CLEAN.  Don't cut her too bad,

And in 1986 I was rooting for Bill Elliot to beat those too.  Sweat ride out of the time machine.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
LS1 is a 5.7, 346ci.    However, they respond very well to 5.3 heads.  

Can't wait for updates!
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

eh, same architecture

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]

My 87
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

eh, same architecture

How did I know you were going to show up in this thread?
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 85 Super Sport, until it was stolen..
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool!

Wish I could play.

Pretty much no 80s-90s musclecars allowed out here.

Smog laws and obscure, hard to find little bits for said smog equipment make them a no-go.

Pity, as they don't rust. Have seen many, otherwise intact T/As, IROCs and Montes in salvage yards here.

Fuck California.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Never really liked them in the day, but now it's kinda cool....if you made it a retro sleeper.

ETA: In 1990 I almost bought a 87 Buick Regal T type in light metalic blue
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Classic styling.  Still an attractive car to look at IMB.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

eh, same architecture

How did I know you were going to show up in this thread?
I <3 fast cars

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Those will cross the MECUM or BarrettJackson auction blocks in 10-20 years for $40k.  

I like big boxy and old fashioned .
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
DANG! Thats what I'm talking about!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thast '86 Monte Carlo SS came out  the year I graduated High School. That brings back pleasant memories.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't miss for $2600.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I love the way those cars look!

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool!

Wish I could play.

Smog laws and obscure, hard to find little bits for said smog equipment make them a no-go.

Pity, as they don't rust. Have seen many, otherwise intact T/As, IROCs and Montes in salvage yards here.

Fuck California.

This may not apply to you in California... but it does in Missouri and maybe else where too:  If your vehicle is at least 25 model years old you can get 'Classic' car license plates for it.  With these plates you never have to have a safety or emissions test performed and you never have to pay for plate tags.  As far as I know you can then do damn near anything you want engine and emission wise.

I had these plates on my 1971 Buick Gran Sport until I sold it and I'm getting ready to do the same thing with my current 1987 Buick Grand National.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

Well I feel stupid now!  I thought the early 5.3 cable throttle body (not drive by wire) with the COP's were still LS1's!  haha!  Okay, change that to an LS2!  Thanks for the heads up.  

EDIT:  Okay, let's just call it a Vortec 5.3 and I'll be happy!  I just want one of the 5.3 engines like the one in my 05 Sierra.  They are dirt cheap and make ridiculous power when some boost is thrown at them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Love that one, still has the factory wheels.  That side looks CLEAN.  Don't cut her too bad,

And in 1986 I was rooting for Bill Elliot to beat those too.  Sweat ride out of the time machine.  

No fastback kit, those cars bring ridiculous money!  

The car itself is amazingly factory though, it even has the original radio.  But after 26 years the interior is very tired so there will be a lot of work in there I am sure.  And not to worry, I don't plan on doing anything that can't be undone at a later date!

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

Well I feel stupid now!  I thought the early 5.3 cable throttle body (not drive by wire) with the COP's were still LS1's!  haha!  Okay, change that to an LS2!  Thanks for the heads up.  

EDIT:  Okay, let's just call it a Vortec 5.3 and I'll be happy!  I just want one of the 5.3 engines like the one in my 05 Sierra.  They are dirt cheap and make ridiculous power when some boost is thrown at them.

things to buy:

LS6 intake

LS6cam (VERY good boost cam)

some pac beehive springs

a set of ls7 or ctsv.r lifters

ported LS1 TB

the 5.3's do well with boost but i would suggest using an aftermarket fuel rail setup to help keep the number 7 cylinder from getting fuel starved.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet Monte!! Looks like a fun project. Tagged
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one of these:

1983 Hurst/Olds

Lot of good times in that car.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

things to buy:
LS6 intake
some pac beehive springs
ported LS1 TB

the 5.3's do well with boost but i would suggest using an aftermarket fuel rail setup to help keep the number 7 cylinder from getting fuel starved.

Was definitely planning on the aftermarket rails as it seems most of these engines are returnless and because of the ECM I will be building I am going to need to do a return style system.

I was actually thinking of an LS9 cam as it was designed for a blown engine, and it can be had factory new for relatively little money, although I believe it may not be a simple drop in on the older engines, not sure though.

Are the beehive springs a necessity?  I have read that the factory springs will be fairly happy up to 6500 RPM.

Not sure what I am going to do on a TB.  I am quite sure whatever engine I get will have the drive by wire TB and I obviously will not be using a factory ECM.  Are people having good luck with the LS1 TB's?

Thanks for the advice!

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Chicks still dig T Tops.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Anyway I came across this 86 Monte Carlo SS and it was one of the cars on my short list to play with.  I took a ride this morning to look at it and was more than a little impressed.  Only 78K miles, two small spots of surface rust,  very solid underneath, and the price was right at only $2600!  I couldn't pass it up and brought it home.

Smart man. Great car.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fastback kit, those cars bring ridiculous money!  

The '86 Aero Coupes are stupid-money... but then, they only made a handful of 'em.   The '87 is more common... and can sometimes be found pretty reasonably.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't wait for updates!

things to buy:

LS6 intake

some pac beehive springs

ported LS1 TB

Was definitely planning on the aftermarket rails as it seems most of these engines are returnless and because of the ECM I will be building I am going to need to do a return style system.

I was actually thinking of an LS9 cam as it was designed for a blown engine, and it can be had factory new for relatively little money, although I believe it may not be a simple drop in on the older engines, not sure though.

Are the beehive springs a necessity?  I have read that the factory springs will be fairly happy up to 6500 RPM.

Not sure what I am going to do on a TB.  I am quite sure whatever engine I get will have the drive by wire TB and I obviously will not be using a factory ECM.  Are people having good luck with the LS1 TB's?

Thanks for the advice!

1) you are adding boost to the engine.  the valves can float with boost + cruddy spring pressure.

2) the ls9 is a blower cam.  turbos require a little different methodology.  that and the LS9 is an LS7 cam with tweaks.  the cathedral port heads will NOT like it and will be a dog out of boost.  the LS6 cam is about the best cheap cam for your setup

3) the LS1 TB's are fine.  roughly 78mm when ported.

again though, think about a twin setup to help kill lag.  i was thinking of using 2 stock GN turbos on my car as there would be almost instant boost and i could have it carry out to 6500 or so.  i was also thinking of the 6076e's that precision makes (i think theyre about 600 a piece new).  yours would be great with teh 3231e or 3431e.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag for updates
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I always loved those cars, especially the fastback, they're getting as rare as hen's teeth.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#34]
You're going to want a Grand National rear end.
The stock ring gear will be the first thing in the drivetrain to fail with any real horsepower.
I miss my 84 MCSS...  It was a fun car.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool!

Wish I could play.

Fuck California.

This may not apply to you in California... but it does in Missouri and maybe else where too:  If your vehicle is at least 25 model years old you can get 'Classic' car license plates for it.  With these plates you never have to have a safety or emissions test performed and you never have to pay for plate tags.  As far as I know you can then do damn near anything you want engine and emission wise.

I had these plates on my 1971 Buick Gran Sport until I sold it and I'm getting ready to do the same thing with my current 1987 Buick Grand National.

Doesn't apply.

We 73 and newer, then a rolling 30 year exemption was put in place, then Arnold signed into law that everything 75 and newer has to be smogged every two years forever.

Gigantic, Gigantic PITA for anything between 1975 and 1996.
I have an 87 Toyota 4x4 that costs me an average of $1,000 every two years to get through smog.
And they keep tightening the standards in an attempt to get everything pre 96 off the road for good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Always like those.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Is that a Hemi?
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow!

I wasn't expecting this much interest in my old beater Monte.

This is going to force me to start work right away haha!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and compliments.  Now I hope you can all help to keep me motivated as this project progresses.

Winter in Maine is about to slam the door on "toy car" playtime.  In addition I have a two month TDY coming up in February that will throw a wrench in the works so to speak.  

I will do my best to keep you all up to speed on where things stand with the old girl as I pick away.

Stay tuned....................
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I always loved those cars, especially the fastback, they're getting as rare as hen's teeth.

Yep. This would have been even better for that price.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. This would have been even better for that price.

http://www.chevelles.com/classifieds/data/35/monte.jpg

I will have one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Alright, enough of this bullshitting about what you're going to do with the engine, what we need to know is what the status is on locating and installing a foot print gas pedal
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You're going to want a Grand National rear end.
The stock ring gear will be the first thing in the drivetrain to fail with any real horsepower.
I miss my 84 MCSS...  It was a fun car.

There are enough stout pickup truck rear ends in junkyards that you'll never have to search for a GN rear.

Heck, even a 9 inch isn't blasphemy on a GM hotrod.

Strong and easy. It's all that matters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It screams for one of these crate motors PT# 19201332 PP - ZZ502/502

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I wish I had one of these and the money to fix it up.

'86 Grand Prix 2+2 Aero Coupe. They only built around 1100.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#49]
If you're feeling really spendy and like turning try giving Art Morisson Engineering a call.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Parts collection has begun!

A fairly local (2.5 hours drive time) to me Craigs List ad for a low mile 5.3 from a 99 Tahoe showed up.  I called and the guy had it still so I went to look at it.  Long story short I got the full engine with all accessories, a 4L80E and a wiring harness and computer, all for $900.  He had purchased it for an aborted project and was just looking to dump it.  It came with a set of Dirty Dingo brand motor mounts .  Not sure if I will use them yet or not but they are pretty trick pieces.  I still haven't decided on a cam.  I want something with a nice lope at idle but that will still work well with my turbo.  I may just end up calling some of the cam manufacturers for advice, no rush on that though.  

I hadn't planned on using a late model electronic transmission but since this one was included and has been recently rebuilt I think I will go for it.  In addition the 4L80E is the heavier duty of the new generation of automatics so it may well live for a while behind this boosted engine.  It will require a transmission controller but for the money I am saving on a built transmission I can easily afford the controller!

I also dug out my Master Power 70MM turbo from my junk collection in the garage.  I had purchased it for another project about 6 years ago and used it for a grand total of about 10 miles before deciding it was wrong for what I was trying to do.  So it sat collecting dust and rusting these last few years.  I took the exhaust turbine housing to work and sandblasted it to clean it up but it will be going out for ceramic coating this week.  Wow has ceramic coating gotten expensive in the last few years.

The Megasquirt engine computer will be ordered this week so expect my next update to be pics of that being built and tested.

Stay tuned, more to come.

And of course some pics:

The supposed 5.3 sitting on the garage floor.  The head casting numbers seem to match up with what the seller told me this engine was.  It turns over freely and I think I got a hell of bargain to be honest.  

The Dirty Dingo motor mounts.  Pretty cool for sure. I may end up using them.

My 70MM turbo, waiting to whistle once more.

Broken down to its major components.  God I love turbochargers!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top